Ask Chase — FAQs

I get asked these basic questions A LOT, so it makes good sense to post some FAQs here.

Q: What brand of camera do you shoot?
A: I shoot Nikon and Hasselblad. I primarily shoot top of the line digital equipment. I use Nikon’s Flagship D2x system, and shoot medium format digital with the new Hasselblad H2D. For the occasions where film is preferred, I shoot the Nikon F5 and Hasselblad’s H1 and 503 cameras.

Q: Do you prefer film or digital cameras?
A: I prefer digital without a doubt, as I’m a bit of a technology geek, however, when I’m being paid to shoot on assignment, I’m happy to shoot whatever the client prefers. That said, I’ve had only one (yes ONE) client request film in the past 4 years).

Q: What computer platform do you use?
A: Our studio is entirely Mac. We’ve got a half dozen workstations, numerous G5 towers, a huge pile of Powerbooks—both 12 and 15”–, Macbook Pros, all Apple Cinema Displays—from the big 30 inchers down to the more modest 20 inch models, and a full Apple X Serve Raid server setup. Heck, we’ve even got a Mac Mini that just serves up non-stop music!

Q: If I want to pursue a career in professional photography, how should I start out?
A: Good question. The competition for up-and-comers is fierce, so you’ll have to be innovative and love your job more than most other things in your life. That said, here are some very general directions:
-Call yourself a photographer.
-Get a professional dSLR digital camera—it will speed your learning curve.
-Shoot more than you can afford to shoot—spend the time learning.
-Get good equipment as soon as you can.
-When you start out, only work another job as much as you need to survive. All your other time should be spent pursuing your passion.
-Be very critical of your work and compare it to what you see in the magazines. Promote only your very best work–quality over quantity.
-Put yourself around the professionals in the industry. Assist, intern, meet other photogs, athletes, and models. Learn the ropes.
-Get the book ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography and read every page. Twice. If you want to be taken seriously, you’d better have the business to back up your photography like a pro.

If you have other quesitons, please add some comments/questions to this entry so that others can view your questions-and my responses- here as well. Thanks!

11 Responses to Ask Chase — FAQs

1. Frankie Benka December 30, 2006 at 10:51 am #

In another blog you said to “save your data in RAW format”. If you have the capability to do so, is it really necessary for the amateur photographer? Not everyone can afford a vast network of computers and RAW takes a huge amount of memory space. I suppose if I was shooting for a client like BMW I would do it but just for my portfolio…

2. admin September 24, 2008 at 11:52 am #

In response to the comment above, I would rather have that RAW file a few years down the road than just that high res JPG. Storage is falling in price by the day. In fact I just saw a 1 terabyte internal hard-drive for 200 bucks. As a photographer, especially a digital photographer, storage is your 2nd most important thing after the camera and lenses.

Chase, would you care to share any of the odd jobs, internships, part-time work that you have experienced on your quest to become what you are today?

3. Brett December 23, 2009 at 4:17 am #

Hey Chase,

Do you take interns? I'm in the market for a summer internship this year, and, like you said, internships are a great way to "get going."

4. Dwayne D.C. Tucker II April 21, 2010 at 6:14 pm #

Explain what you meant when you said to learn their ropes.
    Tell me a bit more about that..

DT.
    Nassau, Bahamas | Miami, Florida

5. Page Ashing March 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

I to not mention my buddies appeared to become checking the nice suggestions on your word wide web sheet and instantly came up with an awful suspicion I received not thanked the webpage operator for individuals recommendations. The men and women grew to become content to view them and currently have with out a doubt been loving them. I value you for genuinely staying properly useful likewise as for selecting out selection of impressive subjects tens of millions of men and women are definitely desperate to explore. Our sincere regret for not expressing gratitude to you previously.

6. god March 31, 2013 at 9:41 am #

Preserve functioning ,wonderful employment!

7. Liza Overcash February 25, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

Excellent site you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you! Please take a look this: Lắp đặt rèm cửa sổ đẹp mới nhất?

8. instagram followers July 24, 2014 at 2:51 pm #

Can I simply just say what a relief to discover a person that
    truly knows what they are talking about on the web. You certainly understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
    More people must look at this and understand this side
    of your story. I can’t believe you aren’t more popular given that you most certainly possess the gift.

9. twitter September 18, 2014 at 7:38 am #

Superb, what a blog it is! This webpage gives helpful facts
    to us, keep it up. twitter
    twitter
    twitter

10. Jonah Dragaj September 26, 2014 at 1:14 am #

What i do not understood is in fact how you are now not really a lot more well-preferred than you may be right now. You’re so intelligent. You understand therefore considerably on the subject of this matter, produced me personally imagine it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated except it’s one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs outstanding. At all times handle it up!

11. instagram September 30, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

excellent submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the other specialists of this sector do
    not understand this. You should proceed your writing.
    I’m confident, you have a great readers’
    base already! instagram