Help Me Respond To Crazy Political Crap

So while I was on assignment last week, my Seattle office got a call from some passionate Republican. He left a message about a “business award” I’d won. My office staff, knowing that I vehemently oppose the current administration and thinking this was a joke by one of my clever friends (I have several with whom I engage in such behavior), played along. The caller backed up his message by sending our office a fax on some uber stupid stationary, declaring me winner of the NRCC Leadership Award and Honorary Chairmen from the fine state of Washington. (see jpg)

Kate called me in Hawaii, “This is weird”. I intuitively knew this was fake. I had the week before been featured in a business magazine called the Puget Sound Business Journal and surmised instantly that it was a solicitation based on my appearance in that article. We shared an annoyed chuckle and forgot about it. When I returned to Seattle a few days later, there sat the note on my desk. It sparked the thought to Google it learn something about whatever politically-charged scam this was. A quick search, and in .10 seconds the answer was right here in an article from the SF Gate news.

Now, typically, such a matter is just filed under junk mail and immediately dismissed–after all, receiving junk mail is not worth blogging about, right?. BUT I thought this might be different – someone in this community surely has a simple, clever thought on the best way to turn this on it’s head. I’d love to somehow respond to their petty harassment with something absurd. Thus, I’m soliciting ideas. Best idea gets a ChaseBrand t-shirt, decidable by me. “Comment” replies are highly preferred to spark discussion, but email is acceptable if you want to be off-list.

UPDATE 01/22/07: They called me and faxed me again today… “We’re really excited to send out the press release to alert the media on Mr. Jarvis’ behalf…”

Crummy, smarmy bastards.

4q079ygbf says:

Throughout the great pattern of things you actually secure a B- just for effort. Where you lost me w

Chase Jarvis says:

Okay. There are two T-shirt winners. You need to send your address, size (the shirts run a little small), and design choice to sarah@chasejarvis.com. Winners are: Photogeek 82 who suggested I respond in writing that I don’te believe the letter is from President Bush since it’s not in crayon; and Dale Herbert who suggests I refer them to watch the documentary called “Why We Fight” about war mongering politicians. So, that said, I’ll put together a letter response incorporating those two ideas… I’ll post the letter here soon. Until then, winners, please email Sarah at the address above. Thanks for your help!

Right on!

Chase Jarvis says:

They sent a “follow up” fax declaring that they were putting the “finalizing an official press release” and axiously awaiting my return call.

My next step is to give them a ring…

More soon as the drama unfolds ;)

Carson Blume says:

What did they say, same thing?

Chase Jarvis says:

UPDATE: they just called me and faxed me again today…

Anonymous says:

I think you should accept the award then talk to the Seattle media and see if they’ll pick up the story. Spam is a hot topic these days and this certainly is spam… Snail mail spam, but spam none-the-less.

Chase Jarvis says:

I saw Colbert on the Factor, but can’t find O’Reilly on Colbert. No Youtube or GoogleVid. Any idea where I can view it?

Carson Blume says:

Colbert was on the Oreilly Factor today, and Oreilly will be on The Colbert Report tonight.

Carson Blume says:

I would give a talk at some thing and just make the speech go right over their puny little minds. I am thinking you should team up with Stephen Colbert or his writers on this one. The great thing about Colbert
is if you watch it with die hard republicans they don’t realize that they are being made fun of.

HUMMMM or Colbert and Jarvis 08′ !!!!

You could give the speech and announce it at the dinner!

Chase Jarvis says:

That’s in the direction I was thinking… Now lets raise that bar! The kind of stuff I’m dreaming of is more along the lines of actually signing up for this thing, voluteering to give a talk at a dinner or something, then blowing the whistle NICE and LOUD!

photogeek82 says:

oh those clever scammers. Perhaps a response of :”That can’t be from Dubyah! It’s not in crayon! And last time I got a letter from him, it was on the back of a texas roadside diner place mat!” might get their collective goats.