Personal New Year’s Resolution

*Disclaimer: If you’re reading my blog just for popular culture, art, or photography commentary, stop here. Seriously. If you are, however, prone to sympathizing with the occasional human interest story, you may read this short entry below.

Now then, in consideration of the above: I’m not one for New Year’s resolutions. It’s more my personality that you should just do the things you need to do and/or want to do NOW, without the need or want of some superficial, external calendar markers (like ‘The New Year’, or ‘I’ll start next Monday’, etc.).

That said, I’m turning the tide on myself and I’m making a resolution this year. And I’m posting it here in hopes that it will (a)motivate me; and (b)help readers, friends, and friends of readers keep me on track.

This is serious, people. Completely ridiculous, but serious. I was caught with my fly down (that’s right, my zipper) about 100 times last year. I have therefore set my heart on changing and I resolve to fix this problem. For those of you who pointed this out to me in 2006, look for a new, zipped-up Chase Jarvis in 2007.

Comments are welcome, and of course: Happy New Year.

13 Responses to Personal New Year’s Resolution

1. Carson Blume January 1, 2007 at 12:38 pm #

Ok, that is too crazy, I have been turning my garage into a office over the past month and I have a pair of levis that the zipper just won’t stay up. I figured them out; if the zipper pull tab it bent so the apex of the curve is pointing away from the body the little tab that keep the zipper from working its way down doesnt press into the zipper. So i grabbed a pair of pliers and bent it straight, it helped but then I bent it the other direction and it never fell down again. So try taking a pair of pliers to your zipper.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. Finn McKenty January 1, 2007 at 3:03 pm #

chase, it’s funny you should post this, because now that you mention it i have seen you with your zipper down a couple of times over the past few years. you just might have a problem!

3. Chase Jarvis January 3, 2007 at 6:45 am #

I know…I’m working thru these tough times ;)

Carson: I’m scared to take pliers to my zipper (for fear of slipping), but I think I’ll take your advice.

Thanks for your support gentlemen.

4. Chase Jarvis January 3, 2007 at 6:46 am #

BTW, I should add that it is now January 3rd and I have yet to be caught with my zipper down in 2007.

5. nicolas January 6, 2007 at 9:18 pm #

I’d suggest wearing shirts left outside of your pants. It’s class(ier) and yet effective to cover the zip at any time. Or just get that on the checklist of your assistant ;)

6. Chase Jarvis January 14, 2007 at 10:26 pm #

1) LOL! I love the image of a tucked in shirt. For what it’s worth, I haven’t tucked in a shirt since like ’87, but good thinking… My fly actually rides so far down that it falls below my un-tucked shirt…which is what tells me that I haven’t been not zipping it up all the way, but rather just not even attempting it. Hence the resolution.

2) BTW, good thinking on another point: It’s now on Scott’s, Mario’s, and Kate’s checklist. Good news to report: no slip ups since ’06 !

7. David June 15, 2007 at 11:24 am #

Could be worse. I just had Ben Stiller’s “Beans and Franks” scene from “There’s Something About Mary” pop into my head…

8. Chase Jarvis June 16, 2007 at 10:32 am #

Ouch. Thanks for that visual David!

UPDATE: June 16th and have been busted for my fly down a total of 7 times in 2007. February was tough, got caught four times, but have really turned the corner on this one. Only 3 slip-ups since then. Averaging just over one per month, which stands in stark contrast to 7 per week last year. More again later…

9. Anonymous December 10, 2007 at 1:14 pm #

After that first sentance I thought this was going to be a world changing charitable event!
    Very funny!! I like surprises!

Of course keeping your fly up could be considered a world changing charitable event depending on who you are…

So now that it’s December ’07 what’s the count up to or did you lose track?

10. Chase Jarvis December 10, 2007 at 9:13 pm #

I’m going to claim a total so far of 12 times, which is about a 10 fold improvement from last year. Not perfect, but waaaay better. Thanks for keeping me focused ;)

11. admin October 6, 2008 at 6:27 pm #

Funny that I read this following a shoot today where I had to kindly point out to the female president that her zipper was, well unzipped. Good thing that it was before the day had started and I was the first person that she had interaction with. She actually thanked me and said that I “Saved her day”, as if the entire world would have come to an end if anyone else would have saw.

I know it’s a little late but, hey Chase! How’s the zipper doing these days?

12. Chase Jarvis October 6, 2008 at 6:35 pm #