Shocking Design Spectrum

I like popular culture a lot. I’m a junkie with respect to it… I also like design, technology, branding, and athletics among lots of other things. And it’s a collision of several of things interests that brought me to want to post this quick entry. I was shocked this morning–when perusing my daily must-hits online–and I stumbled on the following two things back to back.

First thing, I’d not seen before. Second item, I’ve seen many many times, even lusted over, but hadn’t caught the commercial online. These two items and everything they stand for stood so sharply in contrast to one another that I felt compelled to share ‘em…

A) The worst logo ever; certainly the worst OLYMPIC logo ever, multiplied by 1000.

B) One of the more exciting, enticing designs in quite some time:

Regarding A: I can’t believe that the UK Olympic Committee paid 400k British Pounds ($800k dollars) to develop it over the course of a year@ Read what some people think.

Regarding B: I can’t wait till June 29th!!

Isn’t the spectrum in quality of design amazing? These two things juxtaposed seem totally absurd. How could one thing be so crappy and the other so dreamy? The range is amazing.

How much thought have you given your brand/look/functionality/design/effectiveness?

(Saw it first on Seth bright and early this morning, but love the multi-link idea from a few days ago, David)

27 Responses to Shocking Design Spectrum

1. A.R.Yngve June 5, 2007 at 2:12 am #

Well, at least these two cases show that money alone can’t create good design… or brains. ;)

“How much thought have you given your brand/ look/ functionality/ design/ effectiveness?”

I think about this a lot, and try to constantly think of new ways to get good design on a very low budget.

Remember Punk? The Punk Rock aesthetic was to turn poverty into a design (literally poverty; Johnny Rotten has said in interviews that they couldn’t afford to dress better), and use whatever was at hand — junk, even.

Perhaps we can learn something from Punk Rock — not that we must dress in garbage if we can avoid it, but to use what’s available creatively.

2. Jeżu June 5, 2007 at 3:09 am #

Hi Chase… This logo is absolutely scary. :/ It’s a big shame that they want to show something like that to the world… Brrrrr. Shocking.

By the way, I have enjoyed your “ninjas” thing ;)

3. David Airey :: Creative Design :: June 5, 2007 at 4:05 am #

The London olympic logo is a travesty.

There’s so much design talent in the UK that it’s just an embarrassment.

Whilst Wolff Olins was the agency with the commission, an equal share of the responsibility must go to the client, headed by public figure and althete Seb Coe.

Since when has Sebastian Coe been a brand strategist? Oh well. Here’s hoping a re-design is soon on the cards after public pressure.

Thanks for the link, Chase.

4. Carson Blume June 5, 2007 at 1:03 pm #

The logo makes me sad, the iPhone makes me smile!

5. Finn McKenty June 5, 2007 at 3:16 pm #

I think the Olympics logo is awesome. It’s different, fresh, energetic, and young- and most of all, hats off to the design manager for having the guts to try something different. I love it that everybody is so up in arms about it. The best work always polarizes people like that.

6. David June 6, 2007 at 9:59 am #

Regarding the logo, and previous UK marketing moves:

A few years back, “Great Britain” hired a marketing/PR firm to spruce up their image.

The result? They were told to drop the “Great.” Just say “Britain.” You don’t need to use the “Great” anymore.

Cost: ~$1,000,000.00 USD.

I wish I had the cohones to charge that kind of money for such profound and sophisticated advice. (Sheesh.)

7. David June 6, 2007 at 3:00 pm #

Uh-oh. Things just went from bad to worse:

8. Chase Jarvis June 6, 2007 at 9:41 pm #

A.R.Yngve _ long live Punk Rock. And if the UK Olympics used their 400,000 British Pounds–what was available to them— a little better, they’d have something a little stronger, eh?

9. Chase Jarvis June 6, 2007 at 9:47 pm #

Finn: I KNEW you’d love this this thing, man! (which is something I love about you!) I love work that tries hard to cut against the grain, for sure. I love it for that, but I gotta think that it might be a joke it’s so poorly done. Risky logo design is one thing, but I’m literally just waiting for the biggest internet hoax ever to be unveiled that we’ve all been punked!

10. Chase Jarvis June 6, 2007 at 9:52 pm #

David: OMG! That’s something every good logo should do – cause a seizure!

(seriously, go check out the link David posted…)

11. Mona July 8, 2007 at 5:14 pm #

Oh. That Olympic logo is so depressing…hmm.

A whole dang lot! My biggest problem, though, is that I am a student and as such I have a lot to learn about the “functionality” part of design…

Anyway, your work is SO inspiring!! When I see your work I think, “And this is what greatness is…” And then I want to go throw my camera out the window. Heh, heh. But I wish you continued success!

12. Chase Jarvis July 15, 2007 at 1:31 pm #

Thanks for the kind words, Mona. For functionality, you should tune into the design world mags. I subscribe to nearly every one and devour them diligently. the more you review/examine the successful stuff, the more attuned you’ll become.

13. chris August 11, 2007 at 10:35 am #

I read somewhere that the olympics logo looks like lisa simpson giving head. It does.

14. Chase Jarvis August 11, 2007 at 8:01 pm #

Chris: that is hilarious. I see it. Brilliant.

15. Durval Henrique January 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm #

Rio 2016 olimpics logo is an example of a good (and simple) logo.

16. bankruptcy australia January 12, 2012 at 6:22 am #

Well written article. That you are a really persuasive writer. I can see this within your article.

17. gamefly coupon code discounts March 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

I in addition to my friends have already been looking through the good pointers on the blog then then developed a terrible feeling I never expressed respect to the blog owner for those strategies. The ladies are actually for that reason excited to read all of them and already have certainly been tapping into those things. We appreciate you getting indeed helpful and for picking out this kind of outstanding topics millions of individuals are really desperate to know about. My personal honest regret for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

18. Leatrice Macewen December 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Really Good Job…. You Helping People A lot.

19. related web site November 1, 2013 at 4:58 am #

Awesome post.

20. top10blog January 26, 2014 at 1:08 am #

How do we get clients for web hosting

21. Rodolfo Ronsani March 10, 2014 at 11:03 am #

Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally confused .. Any tips? Thank you!

22. Tim Dinges September 26, 2014 at 1:00 am #

This design is wicked! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

23. instant cash advance December 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

It tropical is extremely crucial in opposition to understand your id efficacy until eventually such
    occasion as just one pamper on your own using trivial
    of the mortgage deals utilizing flashing Most effective Mortgage Rate.

24. Normand December 6, 2014 at 8:05 pm #

I have read several just right stuff here. Certainly worth
    bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you set to
    make any such magnificent informative web site.

25. Indira December 7, 2014 at 2:04 am #

Hey There. I found your blog the use of msn.
    This is an extremely well written article.
    I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your useful
    info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.

26. Harriett December 9, 2014 at 12:52 am #

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user
    can be aware of it. Thus that’s why this article
    is outstdanding. Thanks!