Design, Law, Technology, Vodka, and Art – Something For Everyone

The title of this post should really read: “Design, Law, Technology, Vodka, and Art – Something For Everyone [To Help Me Dig Out From The Past Two Weeks]“, but I figured the whole “Dig Out…” part was a bit too much. The gist of the title I spared you, as you might imagine, is that the last couple weeks have been crazy. It’s why I’ve just had the longest run (15 days, gasp!) in the history of this blog without a post.

Sometimes gaps are bad. Other times, gaps are good. And in this case, I think it’s a good gap because there are now an additional 20,000 images in my collection, 20,000 more frequent flyer miles in my United 1k account, and about the same number of ideas in my beady little head to get into this blog as a result. So consider this a fair warning to expect a little more from me in your RSS feed or your inbox over the forthcoming few weeks.

So, without further ado, here’s a smattering of items from a couple disparate genres in hopes of tickling a few different parts of your brain:

-First, I figure it’s high time to share that several months ago we purchased a new commercial space that will soon be home to our new studio. We’re pouring great design, construction, and technology into a killer build-out which will be completed in August. More on that soon, but here’s an early picture of construction mayhem to give you a sense of what’s up:

-Second, I was a guest panelist last week at the 2nd annual Microsoft Pro Photo Summit. If you’re not familiar with the event, it’s a two-day gathering of industry professionals–photographers, hardware and software manufacturers, celebrities, pundits, and kooks like me–where one can find insightful panel discussions, theoretical and practical musings of photo-related stuff, and some good ol’ schmoozing. I spoke on the Copyright and Orphan Works panel and mostly blabbed on about the state and evolution of copyright, my recent legal victory in the 9th Circut Court of Appeals, and what all this stuff means to you and me. Other people said lots of smart stuff and the discussion was generally very spirited. The fancy folks at Microsoft filmed the entire event and I’m hoping that they release much of the content via podcast soon (you guys listening over there??). I’ll let you know. It was a real treat getting to visit with so many wonderful photo-industry folks in such a short time. Thanks again to the event organizers Costas, Tim, and Mike for putting on a good show again this year. BTW, if you haven’t checked out Photosynth, (or if you want to know how important all the pictures YOU’RE taking right now will some day be…) you should take a peek.

-Third, I like a good vodka. If you’re not familiar with 42 Below you should check it out, it’s amazing. Their advertising is really out there, but the spirit is really the bee’s knees. Note 1: it’s very hard to find in the USA. Note 2: if you can track some down, try the Feijoa flavor (a fruit not found in North America) on the rocks, splash of soda, generous squeeze of lemon. That particular cocktail is called a Possum Hunt and comes very highly recommended by me.

-Fourth, I just finished a job in New Zealand. Breathtaking place with lovely people. I shoot there whenever possible. The following photo is not from my most recent trip, but is from an earlier October 2006 visit. I stumbled across it on my laptop on the plane home and was inspired to share it.

Have a great day and let me know what you think if you have a spare minute.

11 Responses to Design, Law, Technology, Vodka, and Art – Something For Everyone

1. Anonymous July 16, 2007 at 11:02 am #

Okay Chase:

a)new studio looks huge
    b)that photosynth thing looks amazing – is that the future?
    c)vodka sounds weird, but cool (possum hunt?)
    d)that photo is incredible – where in NZ?

Great post!
    -adn

2. Larry D Hayden July 16, 2007 at 6:25 pm #

Chase,
    Congratulations on the new space! Possum Hunt sounds like something from my home state Kentucky and I’ll have to track down some of that Vodka.

I look forward to the new entries in your blog. For a serious amateur like me it’s great inspiration and something I look forward to on my RSS Feeds. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

Larry

3. Chase Jarvis July 16, 2007 at 7:15 pm #

Hey “Adn” (anon) –

The studio is good size (4 or 5 times larger than I’m in now), but perhaps the photo exaggerates it ;)

Indeed Photosynth, or rather some iteration of it, is the future of crowd sourcing of imagery. A virtual connection to the real world based on real imagery! Heck, it’s already here with Google Earth/Satellites, etc.

The vodka is terriffic, and the image was shot from a helicopter over the Southern Alps near Queenstown.

4. Chase Jarvis July 16, 2007 at 7:18 pm #

Larry: Thanks for the props on the space….now let’s keep our fingers crossed that the contractor can stay on schedule. So far, so good.

Irony of your possum hunt comment (and really more t he irony of the name) is that its actually a relatively sophisticated taste!

But that said, don’t deny me my Maker’s Mark or Jack D from your neck of the woods!

5. Matt Mikulla July 25, 2007 at 9:35 pm #

42 Below is the stuff. Although my current favor is Maker’s Mark Mint Julep. It’s a great bourbon with a slight hint of mint. If the thought of bourbon turns your stomach you should try this. It’s really smooth.

Good work with the legal battle. Right is right and there is nothing else to say. I would like for you to address a few points.

1. How expensive is it to register your images, especially when you shoot tons.
    2. Do you just register your edited and completed images?
    3. What makes a good record, whether contract or image?

Keep up the good work. I dig your stuff and style.

6. Chase Jarvis July 27, 2007 at 10:03 am #

Matt: I’ve had the Julep – nice treat, but doesn’t burn as cleanly as the 42 Below. (my second favorite cocktail is actually a maker’s manhattan).

Regarding registering your images:
    1. 45 bucks per however many low res jpgs you can get on a dvd…so very reasonably cheap (online registration from Lib of Cong coming soon – in alpha testing with them now)

2. I register every image.

3. organized “paper” trails make good records, notes on conversations, emails, regular systems of keeping track of transactions, conversations, etc.

Seems like this is another good example of somthing I need to do an entire post on… coming soon!

7. Loren Callahan July 28, 2007 at 10:37 am #

Hi Chasa,

Good to see that you are back from NZ . Had a couple of questions and this seem a good place to post on you blog and ask.

I have put 120,000 or 130,000 through my Mark II and I am noticing a slight color change in the sensor as compaired to same shots I have taken earlier. Is there any info out there stating when a sensor may loose their ablity to capture color?

Loren

8. Loren Callahan July 28, 2007 at 4:47 pm #

Hi Chase,

Finally remembered my second question. Ha ha… Other than ext. hard drives how do you archive your images? Gold DVD”s…

Great new studio!!!

9. Chase Jarvis July 29, 2007 at 11:52 am #

Loren:

1) I’m not aware of any sensor degredation issues, but it’s an interesting question. Perhaps some other readers can chime in here. I have not experienced this and have captured a lot more images than that on each of several Nikon camera bodies.

2) I do not use DVD’s to back up photography. Here’s the info you’re after, from previous posts on this blog:
    -How to Back Up Your Photography: The Basics This is more conceptual for individual photogs and should be read by all.

-Important Storage and Backup Solutions for Your Photography: Advanced. This is for high volume pros.

10. Loren Callahan August 1, 2007 at 10:04 am #

Chase,

Thanks again!!!!

Loren.

11. Ryan R. Dlugosz August 3, 2007 at 11:50 am #

Chase – congrats on the new space & all the success you’re having! The work you’re doing (and writing about) is inspirational.