Interview on StudioLighting.net

Many topics in photography, design, or art are perfect for the bite-size chunks we expect from blogs. Other deeper concepts such as creative vision, business strategy, motivation, etc, are complex and often require more than a couple paragraphs in a column. That’s why the nice guys over at StudioLighting.net have begun posting audio files from full-on interviews with some photographers. They ask probing questions that demand longer, in-depth answers.

I was happy to spend an hour chatting on the phone with those guys recently. Thus, if you’ve got some time and can stomach listening to me blab from the hammock in my backyard, check out Chase Jarvis StudioLighting.net interview here. Not unlike how the guys from Cartalk diagnose your automobile’s inner workings, Bill and Ed humorously probed at my creative process, mistakes, style, strategy, and more.

You can listen in your browser or download as a podcast. I’m told that the interview really begins at the 11 minute mark.

20 Responses to Interview on StudioLighting.net

1. Nate July 27, 2007 at 3:35 pm #

It was a great pod-cast, one of their best ever. It was inspiring to listen to your perspective on how you approach shooting and some of the fun shoots you have done. I love watching your videos. It makes me want to create and work on some of my projects and concepts.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Nathan

2. Anonymous July 27, 2007 at 5:07 pm #

Wow. That was REALLY worth the listen.

I just subcribed to your blog. Keep it coming.

3. Dorothe July 28, 2007 at 12:30 pm #

Great interview. It was interesting listening to where you come from with regards to photography. The part in which you talk about having a formal education in philosophy but not in photography made me curious: how did you learn the ropes of the photography business? What was your first shoot?

I love the RAW series, btw.

- Dorothe

4. Chase Jarvis July 29, 2007 at 11:45 am #

Nathan: Thanks for the kind words – I’ll keep the vids coming. Get out there and shoot !

5. Chase Jarvis July 29, 2007 at 11:51 am #

Dorothe: I’m 100% self taught when it comes to photography. I sensed it was my calling and devoured every piece of reading material and info out there and shot a LOT of film (gasp!), practicing techniques, testing theories, making lots of mistakes, and generally learning. I practiced a lot by reverse-engineering images I’d see in magazines and print ads, trying to solve the puzzle of how they were made. If you’re motivated, this is a highly engaging method of learning.

If you need to learn these things, or don’t are challenged with personal motivation, then photo school is a great path.

My first shoot? Hmmm. That’s pretty broad question… as a pro, ever?, commissioned, on spec? Email me offline here if you want more info.

6. Stephan Sagmiller July 30, 2007 at 8:41 am #

hey Chase, in the podcast you mentioned that You studied a fair bit of theory/ philosophy on aesthetics. It would be great if you could share a few books (a reading list of sorts) for todays contemporary commercial photographers and fine artists, reading that you consider to be classics, old or new.

thanks,

- Stephan

7. Dorothe July 31, 2007 at 3:05 pm #

So many first shoots … I’ll ask away: as a pro? Ever? Commissioned? On spec?

Couldn’t find your email address around here and figured it might get lost/buried if I’d emailed to your regular contact addresses. I signed in this time so you should be able to see my email me via your comment notification system.

8. Chase Jarvis August 2, 2007 at 8:48 pm #

Stephen:

Indeed, I went to graduate school in Philosophy at the University of Washington and studied Aesthetics and Philosophy of Art. Some recommended reading that is tolerable (ie, not so thick you can’t get thru it, unlike most academic philosophy…) is stuff by Nietzsche, like Birth of Tragedy, Apolonian/Dionysian theory, art theory by Arthur Danto. Perhaps more interestingly, I compose a lot of my theory on art and philosophy of art by studying pop art including Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Duchamp, etc, as well.

9. jyoseph August 5, 2007 at 6:52 pm #

Great interview man, thanks for taking the time!

10. Ryan Allan Photography August 5, 2007 at 11:07 pm #

Chase – Really dug your Lightsource interview. Got me sparked. Thanks and nice work.

Ryan Allan

11. Chase Jarvis August 5, 2007 at 11:23 pm #

Jyoseph and Ryan: pleasure is mine. Believe me that I’m inspired by your inspiration. Seriously. Reading all this stuff, experimenting, learning and growing is what makes it all go round.

For my future interviews, is there anything I touched on that you wished I’d said more about? or conversely, is there anything I said that sounded completely stupid and you wished I hadn’t said?

12. Ryan Allan Photography August 6, 2007 at 2:22 am #

Chase – Im always interested to hear problem solving stories. Situations that arise and how you might power through them. I know i have ended up in some shoots where gear just wasnt behaving and its nice to hear how others deal.

13. Hazel June 15, 2009 at 3:52 am #

From career prospects everybody needs proper advice on CV and covering letter preparation, prospective interview questions & techniques and information on establishing a network of industry contacts.

Hazel Knight
    interview questions

14. Hazel June 15, 2009 at 4:15 am #

Interview is a most important part of career so it is important to know the right way to prepare for it. We need proper advice on CV and covering letter preparation, prospective interview questions & techniques and information on establishing a network of industry contacts.

Hazel Knight
    interview questions

15. Jed Sutch November 26, 2012 at 7:27 am #

This post is in fact a nice one it helps new web people, who are wishing for blogging.

16. Queenie Shibata January 3, 2013 at 7:21 am #

I’m looking on behalf of the lemonade, cayenne pepper, and maple syrup detox recipe. . . Also, is it okay to consume minute amounts of protein to stay sustained? Or just finest to stay gone from all all through this. My concern is that I stir cheery experimental on behalf of work and want to ensue clever to focus and ensue alert right through the full calendar day. Container you work made known resting on this diet or else will you not have an adequate amount of energy?.

17. weight loss articles free January 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Being overweight is a huge (pardon the pun) problem for an increasing number of people these days. There are so many weight loss treatments, clinics & programs, one never knows where to start.

18. stryker implant May 25, 2013 at 1:47 pm #

Actually enjoyed this blog site short article.Definitely thank you!

19. party bus June 9, 2013 at 9:52 am #

The only time I at any time wished I could examine French.

20. top10blog January 26, 2014 at 1:16 am #

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this article
    is amazing, nice written and come with approximately all significant infos.
    I would like to see more posts like this .