To Go Or Not To Go?

There’s a message in here somewhere, so please indulge me for 2 minutes.

It’s been a very busy fourteen days.

On September 12th I finished a long term project in Seattle. That same day I rushed off to a couple meetings and the Photoshelter speaking gig in NYC. I returned to Seattle to sit at my desk in our new studio for 48 hours to get something done, then hopped on a plane again for back to back meetings in Phoenix and Los Angeles, and then on to a friends birthday party in Palm Springs. The morning after, I hurried to the airport and this time–via Washington DC, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Temuco– I landed in Pucon, Chile, for five days of scouting and casting for an upcoming commercial job.

Some real fun, sure, but plenty of hard work. Fun Scouting = flying around in rickety Vietnam-era Huey helicopters and communicating in broken Spanglish with Carlos the pilot, that I’d like to land over there on that active volcano rim, please. Less fun = riding in the back of a box van seven hours a day for the past three days looking for the other epic shot (ie NOT on the rim of the volcano). Think dusty. Think hard seats. Great people, but no sleep, long days and lots of kilometers on the dial. Tiring? You bet. I’m whooped. Not complaining at all, just totally whooped. Today especially was a lot of road time.

And now for my point:

We just wrapped for the night and I was just moments ago in the hotel bar having a glass of local wine and some peanuts. Winding down, melting really. I’m scheduled to head home tomorrow for 24 hours of respite, and in truth I was already there in my mind; in my back yard swinging in the hammock.

And then it happens: One last model and an agent roll into the bar. Damn. It’s a special, late casting call I had forgotten about entirely and she’s there to try on a swimsuit for our review. She joins our table, orders a Sprite, the agent has a beer, we all sip our wine, and we all make small talk. I’m totally spent and probably showing it, when our Producer and Art Director kindly (and out of the blue) offer to head to one of the rooms and nab her head and body test-shots on my behalf. It’s “no worries at all” they say and kindly encourage me to relax. Off they run, point and shoot in hand. I breathe deeply. I’m chilling for the first time in 14 days straight. As they walk out of the bar, I’m left sipping my wine with some remaining crew.

There is a pause. And I look at one of my table mates. He’s a long time friend and he knows what I know: I should really be photographing her right now. It doesn’t matter that it doesn’t matter; I should be photographing her right now.

Others are willing to cover for me, and this has no impact on the project whatsoever, and after all it’s just a casting snapshot really, it sounds good to sit and sip wine. But even considering the aforementioned, the right thing to do is to go.

I’ve never been accused of being lazy. Never to my recall. But still, the right thing to do is to go.

So I hurry upstairs. Three minutes later, I photograph a Chilean model in her green and white swimsuit in the hotel’s mixed, dimly lit, 2nd floor hallway, without a flash, a reflector, or an assistant. ISO 800, 2.8, a 20th of a second. I hold my breath to squeeze off the frames without moving the camera. Fifteen clicks. The model genuinely comes to life, as do I, and 30 seconds later–literally 30 seconds later–it’s the best art I’ve made in a long while. I’m unable to show you the images because that’s not been professionally agreed to. I don’t even need or want to, actually, because it’s not the point.

Despite the build-up, the point is short and the point is this: if ever given the chance to go or not to go, for the sake of making art, you should always go.

Only one length of group 5 cabling is needed for power as well as to make it possible for transmission to
countless tools.

Plus, the tuhrrets will be able to target any enemies to your rear, giving you some
measure oof protection when you can’t bring your
main cannons to bear. ‘Kung Fu Panda 2 ‘: Hottest Summer Blockbuster You Cannot Miss.
Plunder Cuttroat buccaneers Hack Be unfaithful Tool
may be tested with regard to android as well
as i – OS, and these types of testing outcomes show it works along with Android as well as i – OS products.

All you might want to do is to create a little fresh apple juice in your own home and keep on drinking it a minimum of 3 to 4 cups in single day.

Due to increase in demand for many parts in many
suppliers find it profitable to sell their products online.
Let’s take a look at the history of Apple’s laptops to
see how they came to be the extremely popular product they are today.

All of the traditional marketing methods still woek andd can augment your mobile marketing strategy.
With over 11 years of exlerience in online marketing techniques, Linda has authoreed articles for several leading business
journals, worldwide. You have to thoroughly test your mobile marketing campaign on as may
mobile devices as possible, and all of the popular mobile operating systems.

This procedure involves the burning of the top layer of
skin to promote new collagen production. Compared to most other masticating juicers on the market today, this machine has superb looks.
As its name implies, the boat itself, created by an act of Congress in 1916, is the country’s only full-fledged floating post office with the power to cancel mail.

huron juicer says:

It operated two daily round trip excursions, except on Sundays,
on the 65-mile run from the Weirs at 08:00 and 13:00, calling at
Bear Island, Center Harbor, Wolfeboro, and Alton Bay. A good majority move down from the
cold up north to our beautiful, white sandy beaches. In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their friends on social networks,
and other online media channels to hear about things happening in the digital world.

Victor worked for Aspen Commercial Security and has been continually grateful for the
knowledge they have shared with him. In addition, you might need to have
an electronic key replaced and a locksmith can also perform this service.
Services include lock changes, lock change, lock replacement, lock rekeying, security safes, grilles and gates and gates.

This procedure involves the burning of the top layer of skin to promote new collagen production. Compared to most other masticating juicers on the market today,
this machine has superb looks. Just like having dolphin velour beach towel
which is eye-catching to one and all due to the uniqueness it brings.

The Inuit, for example, thrived on a diet largely consisting of seal meat and whale blubber (very few vegetables grow in the freezing cold) while the Bantu of South Africa thrived on a
diet very high in carbohydrates and the Masai did quite well on a diet
rich with cow’s blood. Certainly, when you investigate dietary patterns you
find that heavy meat eating is associated with a higher
risk of certain bad outcomes, for example, prostate cancer.
However, it is difficult for people to perceive that there is a need for these
tents.

Something to cool off in handily might be a great addition to the garden plan. Have a exclusive area for changing baby diapers in the house not view of the guests.
However, it is difficult for people to perceive that there
is a need for these tents.

Ricardo says:

Its not my first time to pay a visit this website, i am visiting this website dailly and get good
data from here everyday.

Jamie says:

I’m an amateur photographer who has just been given the chance to get a break by having some work published in a magazine. I was um’ing and ah’ing about whether I should do it or not, feeling slightly low on confidence with a minor fear of rejection.

I then came upon this old post which was linked from the latest Chase Jarvis RAW video and I’ve come to realise, I was being a complete douche bag.

I’d have to be the biggest idiot not to take this opportunity, even if I’m not good enough and my work is rejected (which is won’t be. positive thinking!) . So I’m going to suck it up and do it, thanks to you Chase.

The fear is still there, but it will only make my try harder.

Thanks.

David Farley says:

Chase, I really appreciate your openness toward other photographers. You are an inspiration really. I’m not here to build your ego, but credit should be given where due.

Thanks for taking the time out of your crazy schedule to share from your experiences. I usually learn a thing or three from each offering, and don’t take your efforts for granted.

And all of this from a guy who’s work is amazing. Go figure.

A sincere thank you, and all the best!

David Farley

davidmfarley.com

Andy says:

Funny how some of the best shots are so minimalistic and out of the blue.

Dittos. Thanks for the inspiring post Chase. You always have to be ready because as I have found out (sometimes the hard way) opportunities can arrive at the most unlikely places and times.

Ben says:

Years ago while waiting for my ride in front of the train station in portland with my little nikon 885 a strange girl offered to take me to a place to get some shots. Just then my ride arrived I went with the ride. I’ve been kicking my self ever since…

mauritsen.se says:

I just endulged in this entire blog, totally inspired to do my very best and then some – with passion for pictures…. And this post sort of sums it all up. Always go. Always try. Even when you don´t feel like it couse you´ll never know what’ll come out of it. And you’ll feel a lot better too, keeping your promises… ;o)

And isn´t like this in all parts of our lifes – always do or say whatever it is you aspire for, to try and reach that goal, find that love, get that job…. you get the point….! There are no guarantees for succes but hey….. you’ll know you made that effort!

Chase Jarvis says:

Compadres! Thanks so much for your empassioned comments here on this post. I am inspired by the charged responses and personal stories of what it feels like to really GO.

Let’s do more of this…shall we?

Anonymous says:

Last winter I spent 12 straight 16 hr days riding, hiking and freezing my nuts off in Newfoundland to make more than 4000 photos only to return to a three day closed resort photo shoot and get sick. After more sick meds than I can recall I captured the one photo that defines all I’ve been working for the past three winters. 14 days later and its one photo, one 1000th of a bluebird, spring day second. I dig your story.

Uncle Fester says:

Uhh… and I am stuck shooting “nice” pics of gutters. Buenos Aires? Chile? Yeah. Right… my bathroom :)

Cheers & take care.

Benji Mast says:

Chase, thanks for the inspiring post I am barely eighteen and was asked to assist for a wedding. The previous two weddings, I was main shooter and it was somewhat difficult to swallow my pride and take the assistant’s role. The point of this all is that they said I could come Friday, the day before the ceremony, when they are doing the Bridal party shots, and help out, for free. I had decided not to until… :)

Allen Konigsberg says:

Blake – The path of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.

Dostoyevsky – The darker the night the brighter the stars.

Sartre – Life begins on the other side of despair.

Heraclitus – The way up is the way down, and the way down is the way up.

Chase Jarvis – always go

Chase Jarvis says:

Finn: Love your anecdotes. I have a distinct recollection of you saying other humorous (motivating and culturally relevant) things such as:

“Puff Daddy and Madonna didn’t get to the top of their game by sitting on their asses”

Brilliant and funny at the same time. That’s how you roll!

Anonymous says:

First and foremost, art aside, I think it is advisable to shoot a chilean model in a swimsuit any f*ing time you possibly can! wtf? If I had recently had my hands chopped off, I would find a way to make it happen. But on all levels of seriousness now, I woke up and read this first thing in the morning. After ‘going’ last night. Until around 1:30. Shooting shooting shooting. This might be the most important bit of advice you can give people. Always go. It’s simple. You have to put yourself in the position. People forget this.

[I got this email from a friend just now – I thought it worthy to include, albeit advisable to post it anonymously – cj]

Chase Jarvis says:

I’m glad so many people seem to agree. Why is it that we almost always seem happier when we GO? In anything, really. We debate on what makes us happy (btw, read the book Stumbling on Happiness? interesting read…), and at the end of the day we learn that we THINK we know, but in reality we don’t know until AFTER it happens. I thought I was much happier sitting there sipping wine…

As artists, we should recognize this more often, perhaps even tattoo it on our foreheads (in reverse type so we can read it in the mirror ;).

When give

Chase, the man, the legend. Great post. Thanks for sharing- no chilean models, but I have had a few similar experiences this year. Without sleep and cultural barries, and food, all of the things that make it easy to be a good shooter, that the best artwork came to life. Wicked how that works. Keep inspiring and thanks again for sharing. Rock on-

Ziv says:

I know exactly what you mean. The last time I was sitting in a bar in South America I missed the opportunity to photograph a Chilean model in her green and white swimsuit in the hotel’s mixed, dimly lit, 2nd floor hallway, without a flash, a reflector, or an assistant.
I hate it when that happens.

Chase, I love your work, your blog and your attitude. Always great stuff.

Thanks,
Ziv

Great post. Some of my best photos have come from similar moments. I think there is something about the relaxed mind that helps. Relaxed and lazy are two different things. Sometimes being too relaxed borders on feeling lazy. Congrats on the great shots, knowing your work I’m sure they’re great and seeing them is hardly necessary.

Regards,
Jim

Carson Blume says:

Just to it! and do it well.

Excellent post, Chase! Thanks for sharing this story. May it be a lesson learned for all of us.

Finn McKenty says:

Chase, this just might be your very best post yet.

I’m not sure if this is what you had in mind when you wrote it, but I interpret this as a reminder that success as a creative is often dependent on a maniacal work ethic. Particularly when you’re starting out and building your name, you should always be asking yourself, “Why am I not shooting right now?”

I like to think of the legendary wrestler Dan Gable when I’m feeling lazy or unmotivated. Thinking about his punishing, uncompromising work ethic almost always gets me going. A few of his best gems:

Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.

I shoot, I score. He shoots, I score.

The 1st period is won by the best technician. The 2nd period is won by the kid in the best shape. The 3rd period is won by the kid with the biggest heart.

lahire says:

My best picture is my next one :)

Mattpenning says:

Outstanding anecdote. Inspirational. I connected with the point deeply, as I’ve seen my best stuff come out under the most unimaginable circumstances. I was moved to tears, thinking of the joy you must have felt, seeing the work you accomplished in that state of being. The art comes out of me, when I am most able to be present without fear, worries, or interior distractions. You seem stripped of that, and ready to function at a deep level of connectedness. Thanks for sharing this. =)

Jacob says:

Do, or do not. There is not try! (In my best yoda voice. Perhaps I’ll speak that way all day long….)

brian faini says:

I pride myself in hard work ethic and passion for photography. I am hoping to find others to share it with.
I appreciate you sharing with everyone.

I am struggling, trying to find my way into the door of professional photography. Being geographically secluded leaves me with no contacts or outlets.

At one point while I remember telling myself to never turn down a job or invite. I still find myself debating to go each time but I end up going. I just remember what I told myself.

On another note I was watching your video of the shoot in New Zealand (for like the 50th time) and thought how it would be great to sell to the New Zealand board of tourism. After seeing it all I want (other than to get some recognition and make it as a photographer) is to go to New Zealand.

Better to regret doing something than doing nothing!

We’ve all been there. You’ve physically and mentally switched off, but you know you have to somehow get back in the zone.

Anonymous says:

My grandfather told me – (he was of the WWII Japanese generation that built Japan as it is today) – hard work is no guarantee of success, but not trying will guarantee failure.

James