Mark My Words: Camille Seaman

Whether you’re a lover of fine art photography, a collector, an investor, or -wtf- if you have even a single aesthetic-minded bone in your body, please join me for a moment in revering the new work of Camille Seaman (Shinnecock Tribe b.1969).

Mark my words, she and her work will be a fixture on the photography landscape for many years to come. A majority of first solo shows happen at galleries that are local to the artist. Camille’s first solo show? A museum show at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington D.C. Yeah, you get the picture. I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting her last month at a art auction/fundraiser for the Blue Earth Alliance. In addition to being a wonderful artist, she’s seemed quite gracious. From her artist’s statement:

“The Last Iceberg chronicles just a handful of the many thousands of icebergs that are currently headed to their end. I approach the images of icebergs as portraits of individuals”

Her show kicks off one month from today, on December 1, 2007. If you want to know more beyond her website, or are just wise/wealthy enough to buy one of her prints, she’s represented by Soulcatcher Studios in Santa Fe, NM. Tell Eric I sent you.

Her show details:

National Academy of Sciences in Washington D.C.
National Academies’ Keck Center
500 Fifth St NW, First Floor Gallery
December 1, 2007 — February 25, 2008, by appointment,
call (202) 334-2436
March 1 – June 1, 2008
National Academy of Sciences
2100 C St NW, Rotunda Gallery

[btw, a favorite blog of mine for fine art happenings? Gallery Hopper]

13 Responses to Mark My Words: Camille Seaman

1. Kourosh Azar November 1, 2007 at 5:29 am #

Her work is amazing! Thanks for sharing it, definately one to keep an eye out for.

Kourosh

2. Houser November 1, 2007 at 7:22 am #

Oh man… funny, I was just looking at an article in PDN last night featuring her, and now MY favorite photog links to her. Must be fate, man. Her work is stunning. Makes me want to load up on North Face gear and hop onto a North Atlantic freighter :P

3. Will Foster November 1, 2007 at 9:54 am #

Very cool! i really like her approach on taking these pictures… as if they were portraits… these pictures really share a lot of emotion and tell a great story about these blocks of ice. :)

4. Anonymous November 1, 2007 at 1:48 pm #

Hey Thanks for the link Chase, What powerful images! Great fine art like this is a breath of fresh air.

5. Chase Jarvis November 1, 2007 at 6:51 pm #

And a couple things you DON’T get from the online experience is that some of her works are really big. (I think 80″ wide for some). Seeing an iceberg in a photo that big is the next best thing to seeing one in real life…

6. Chase Jarvis November 1, 2007 at 6:52 pm #

@houser: Yes I too recently read that she was featured in PDN and American Photo. More proof that she’s picking up a crazy amount of steam in a short amount of time.

7. Mads Alexander November 5, 2007 at 5:23 am #

If you like artic work you also should check out this photographer, been to some lektures with him and his work is amazing.
    Check it out :-)

8. Anonymous November 11, 2007 at 11:14 am #

doesn’t seem to me to be much different from the iceberg work of lynn davis. it’s great to say you’re shooting portraits of the icebergs, but i don’t really think that changes anything. also re the big prints – of course that will make a big impact on the viewer. beautiful big eye candy. not to take anything away from seaman, but there is no reinvention of the wheel here. global warming is hot.

9. Chase Jarvis November 12, 2007 at 10:27 am #

@ anon: I have to respectfully disagree with your take that Seaman’s iceberg images are “not much different than the work of Lynn Davis”. See for yourself:

Iceberg Museum Show from Lynn Davis.

vs.

Camille Seaman’s site.

If you think Davis’ images of icebergs are on par with Seaman’s, we’re going to have to thumb wrestle. Inspiration from her? Sure. But I just don’t see Davis’ images as measuring up to Seaman’s. Compositionally, technically, drama, emotively, sense of place…

I concur that global warming is hot (pun), but so is Seaman’s work, style, and approach.

10. Chase Jarvis November 12, 2007 at 10:29 am #

@ mads: love some of his wildlife imagery…

11. Photographer Italy November 14, 2007 at 2:02 am #

Really beautiful picture, they are full of poetry.
    Thanks for the link.

12. Isaias Scamehorn February 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Thank you for sharing excellent information. Your website is very cool. I’m impressed by the details that you?ve on this web site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles.

13. Melonie Canada January 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Somebody to a large extent help to compose genuinely posts I’d state. This is the first schedule I frequented your website summon and thus far? I amazed with the examine you finished to compose this authentic distribute extraordinary. Brilliant activity!