Photoshelter Redux

Old News: I delivered they keynote talk at the Photoshelter Town Hall event in NYC a few weeks ago. The swell folks over at Photoshelter posted the full 55-minute yap session (grab some popcorn and a beer or 3…) some time ago.

Redux: Apparently, there have been a number of reported hiccups with the servers/host being slow or delivering incomplete downloads (although I should go on record saying that I think Brightcove is generally great). As a result, many have asked me to provide alternate viewing options. Given that, we’ve just embedded another complete version of the talk below. Check it out if you didn’t get it the first time around.

Redux Part 2: My earlier Photoshelter wrap-up entry linked to a bunch of reviews, discussions, stories and stuff from of the event, all of which were really positive. I’m comforted to report that I’ve since –over at APhotoEditor (a blog I regularly enjoy, and highly recommend to photographers)– discovered some commentors who know that I totally suck. So, if you’re like me and seek balanced reporting, you should consider offsetting the positive stuff by reading some comments from people I thoroughly confused and those who found my talk unwatchable.

Either way, by request, here’s the whole dealio again for those that missed it (And see if you can spot the naked cowboy’s cameo too!):

ChaseJarvis CURRENT: Photoshelter NYC

[RSS readers can see the vid here.]

[Oh, and for the complete redux maximus, I forgot to link to the Photoshelter NYC Panel (1hr 7min) featuring some talented and inspiring friends from the industry (photogs, ADs, PEs, and the like) for a spirited discussion on the state of the photo industry.

36 Responses to Photoshelter Redux

1. Marcos G. Meider October 25, 2007 at 3:48 am #

Chase, thank you so much for you interesting talk on Photoshelter. It was impossible for me making all the way from Spain to NY and attend to your talk and get back home by bed time. You saved me some bucks on flying tickets. Thanks again and all the best.

Marcos

2. Steve Cairney October 25, 2007 at 3:57 am #

I see that the negative comments weren’t born out of what you said during your presentation.

Sure, you have a ‘rock star’ persona in your photography, but that’s the kind of guy you are. (Sorry to assume since I’ve never met you) You have the income to warrant self motivated briefs. Do I turn that into a negative view? No. Am I jealous? You bet. Am I inspired? Absolutely.

Did I find the DJ annoying? Not at all. Unnecessary? Maybe, but I thought, like a few other people who have watched the vid “That’s soooo f*king Chase Jarvis…” and roll with it.

I hate the photography community just as much as I love it. I couldn’t agree more with what you said about the old guard of photography. I was almost on my feet applauding.

I’m a big fan of your work but I’m a bigger fan of your ethos. That’s not bullshit, it’s only bullshit to people that don’t want to hear.

3. ShaolinTiger October 25, 2007 at 5:38 am #

Thanks for that Jarvis, I was one of the unfortunates who couldn’t watch the video before you uploaded the new version.

The old one just wouldn’t play nicely over here in Malaysia.

Keep what you’re doing up, it’s great, keep opening the black box and keep sharing.

4. GeoWulf October 25, 2007 at 9:10 am #

This reminds me of why dialog is sooo important. Good or bad, feedback is important to help a person improve or question their current skills. Nothing is more useless than a “Great job” or “You suck!” kind of comment.

5. Chase Jarvis October 25, 2007 at 9:18 am #

@geowulf: precisely the point I was making by linking to other viewpoints ;)

6. Chase Jarvis October 25, 2007 at 9:24 am #

@steve: Thanks for the note. I’m glad that its “so Chase Jarvis” – regardless of what that implies or means, positive or negative. Indifference would be the only thing that would make me want to put my head under a bus tire. In fact, if being so Chase Jarvis means doing something that no one else is doing – (even if it’s simply for that sake, although I’d argue passionately in this particular case that music adds to the show and live, impromptu music even more…) – then so fricking be it. Makes me happy.

BTW… “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”
    -Bill Cosby

7. Jacob October 25, 2007 at 9:30 am #

I think it’s so cool, that you’re posting this stuff. Showing your willingness to take the bad with the good, and using it to improve.

“It’s easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you’ve got the stock market beat.

But the man that’s worthwhile is the man that can smile, when his pants are too tight in the seat!”
    -Judge Smails, Caddyshack

8. Steve Cairney October 25, 2007 at 11:07 am #

‘So Chase Jarvis’ is definitely positive. Sincerely no disrespect meant to the latter in any means but if I had to choose an hour listening from you or George Pitts, I know whose room I’d be sat in.

Your presentation reflected the enery of your pictures. If you had a rod up your ass I’d find that connection much harder to see.

Since we’re throwing Cosby quotes about, here’s another
    “Every closed eye is not sleeping, and every open eye is not seeing”

Any plan to talk in the UK anytime?

9. Seven Ply October 25, 2007 at 3:53 pm #

Thank you and keep the stoke going. I found your talk very, very inspiring, informative and entertaining. Same goes for your blog. Do we live in fear and doubt or in love and trust? I’d say you’re living in love and trust. If you’re ever in Cape Town, South Africa please drop me a line. It would be great to meet you in person. e-mail: lumiere73@gmail.com. Peace.

10. Chase Jarvis October 25, 2007 at 3:54 pm #

@steve: Understood your first point and your last. Thanks man. I’ll keep stuff outta me arse – I promise ;)

And I’ll likely be in the UK over the end of the year holidays.

11. Chuck October 25, 2007 at 9:55 pm #

Chase,
    I came across your photoshelter talk via Strobist and thoroughly enjoyed your pitch. What struck me right in the gut was your comment about knowing when to start shopping your book to agencies. You were the first person to put it out so honest and straightforward. Thanks.
    Chuck

12. Will Foster October 29, 2007 at 9:18 am #

Hey, thanks for the inspirational video. I watched this, and immediately started thinking about things. I keep my head in and around your blog, because I am very much interested in commercial photography, but it has been hard for me to find a niche. There really isn’t a market for it in Eugene, I need to branch out, I need to meet people.

A funny thing about your video, well, not really, but recently (a few days ago) I got the guts to email one of the “popular” photographers in my area. His response was to send me to this old photography club (I am already involved in the strobist community, which is 100 times better quality and 1 billion times fresher!), and he wouldn’t even consider thinking about teaching me anything! He didn’t want to, “train his competition.”

Chase, it is nice to learn from someone who is TRULY successful and get me pointed in the right direction. You are right, teaching just makes you better! I have considered bringing in together some local photographers and feeding off each other and putting together small “fun” projects.

If only more photographers thought like you!

I am currently volunteering for a foster children non-profit group “Hope Gallery.” which will allow me to put some time toward making video and photography of children with out homes. I am pretty excited, not every day does someone get to use their skills to directly change a young child’s life!

Now, I just need a huge rundown warehouse and some models, a 30 person crew, and… oh… right… start small! :)

13. Will Foster October 29, 2007 at 9:20 am #

Oh, and i liked the DJ… nothing against you Chase, but just having someone standing up and talking… gets a little boring… but having a DJ there really gives everything a more powerful, and “fun” experience! and definitely heightens the awesomeness of your performance! DJ Sandman? I think i used to listen to his stuff when i was in high school in the late 90′s… :)

14. steve cairney October 31, 2007 at 1:25 pm #

Oh, one more thing that a few people have wondered about the talk;

What did the guy say he’d use the $1k for? You can’t hear what he says…

15. Duane January 4, 2008 at 7:42 pm #

I am not sure if this is even on the radar anymore – but I do have a question/clarification.

You said that you “work” 20 hours (on the hell week) days and generally work long hours. Here’s my question, do you and your staff consider this work? My guess is that everyone there is passionate about the goal of creating images and that though the days are long it isn’t the same as putting 20 hours in a cubbie, digging holes, or other “work”.

I ask because it really seems from your talk that you are passionate about what you do. So if you could make double what you make now as say an investment banker would you do that? I assume the answer is no.

Thanks for your time and if you happen to see this I would appreciate your view. Oh – and if it is already said in your blog/website somewhere and I just haven’t found it I apologize to adding to the tons of questions you get!

Thanks!

16. Gavin January 9, 2008 at 3:08 pm #

Is that a new macbook box I see at the beginning of the film? =D

17. Chase Jarvis January 12, 2008 at 4:01 pm #

@ steve: sorry for not repeating the question – the guy is the pres of one of the ASPP.com chapters and is the money went to his chapter to be spend helping establish an online resource for aspiring photographers.

18. Chase Jarvis January 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm #

@ duane: I see where you’re coming from, but it definitely is WORK with a capital W. The hours are long and the time is intense for sure. Indeed we all love it, but we do work very very hard. (consider how tired you might be after working 12-20 hours per day for 21 days straight – like we just did not long ago in Chile… – surely starts to feel like work then ;)

19. Chase Jarvis January 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm #

@ gavin: indeed it is. I always have two laptops when giving presentations in case of technical difficulties, both loaded with the show and ready to go… The Macbook was the backup.

20. Josh Caple June 26, 2008 at 9:32 am #

Hi Chase, is there anywhere we can download a copy of this vid? There’s a lot of great stuff in there, I’d love to have it in my files for future reference!
    Cheers

21. Chase Jarvis June 26, 2008 at 9:52 am #

@ Josh: YES you can download all of my videos for free via our iTunes podcast. I have one for iPod/iPhone (small files) and one for
    AppleTV (large files)

22. Nick Nieto August 15, 2008 at 11:04 am #

I am a University of Portland (business school) college student who is finding a passion for photography and relatively new to who make up the industry. I found you photoshelter keynote video and was blown away by your passion and creativity.

I have pretty much only been about taking photos of what I find interesting but now realize how much I can and should try to push the boundaries on my own work. I just wanted you to know how much I was impacted with this presentation and how inspired I have become.

I’m really excited to go out and try to create images that really have meaning and myself behind them.
    I’ve been going through just about every video you have here and really appreciate your openness about your work in the community. I’ve been watching them both on my computer and apple tv trying to dissect every bit of info out of it.

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Nick Nieto
    Nieton21@gmail.com

23. thanatos1991 September 17, 2008 at 2:06 pm #

hey Chase,
    first of all,
    your are awesome! In my little opinion, you are one of the most fascinating photographers i have ever seen(ok i have not seen all but that does not matter for me)
    I am a young(17 Years old) Photographer from west germany
    (btw:sounds like we have still west and east as diffrent countries) and admire your work very much.
    After checking your pictures my first thought was, to smash school, fly to seatle and sleep on your doormat until i can look over your shoulder for one shooting or something like that.
    Soooo now , after tons of overblown praise back to the real topic.
    Very good and informative speech.
    Good idea to bring a DJ with you.
    and DJ is the linking word to my question.
    What is the name of the song DJ Sandman played an that evening?

Looking forward hearing from you,

Alexander Monhof

24. Chase Jarvis September 17, 2008 at 4:49 pm #

Hey Alex: Thanks for the kind words! The DJ played a lot of songs, as my talk was about an hour long.

25. Benjamin Wong December 3, 2008 at 7:18 pm #

I just wanted to leave a short comment here.

I’ve spent the past two days browsing through your most recent videos and artworks and found them extremely interesting.

A friend of mine mentioned your name and just looking at your work was extremely inspiring to see how far we could go with photography.

As a “new” photographer emerging as a student, I think it would be really cool if you could make a post on how to start up to GET to where you’ve gotten. How to save up, and earn, and get known with limited gear and inspiration.

Either way, just wanted to leave a comment and thank you for sharing.

Cheers!

Benjamin Wong

26. somethingcheeky January 19, 2009 at 10:38 pm #

As someone who is JUST starting to build her “book” and getting a bunch of crap about how a photographer needs to cater to the clients wishes…I really appreciated the comment about building your portfolio around the style that you WANT to be hired for or the subjects you want to photograph. Wow…really…thank you for that!

27. michalgarcia.com June 13, 2009 at 4:42 am #

I finally listened to this talk and totally dig it. Thanks for giving back and showing us what's inside the black box. You make success (not just in photography) more tangible – not easier, but more defined. In my own work I realize I am lacking in consistent hard work (I work hard, but am lazy at times) and am severely lacking in business skills. I am going to give myself an ASMP education ASAP. I'm also turning 25 soon, and am trying to think of something to do rather than an expected big party. I know it's going to involve asking for ideas, comments, feedback from many people to help propel me into more years of creativity with increased productivity.
    Once I've defined exactly what I want to do, I'll just need a few kicks in the butt from myself, friends and your blog to make it happen.

Rock.

28. Andrew May 31, 2010 at 5:32 am #

Chase, what was the tune playing when you showed off your staff who made the NZ trip possible? It credits the Dandy Warhols but I can’t pick what song it is and it’s driving me crazy!

29. trucking December 12, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

I really really like it!

30. consignment December 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

Its much better in the event you take into consideration what others may possibly have to say rather of just going for a gut reaction to the topic. Think about adjusting your personal believed method and giving others who might read this the benefit of the doubt.

31. Write A Book February 8, 2012 at 1:28 am #

does the bib tag system also consider when a runner crosses the start line? if not, then the chip time of timing chips would still yield more accurate results. it would only be accurate for those who start way out front.

32. super www suzanne March 12, 2012 at 11:23 am #

We stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to going over your web page for a second time.

33. Emeline Ehrisman March 21, 2012 at 4:08 am #

A perfect imagination as i have always wanted to see. great.

34. Dawne Halmes July 7, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group? There’s a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers