WARNING: Time-Devouring Speedlinks

The irony of this post’s title is readily apparent. Speedlinks are supposed to be fast, but there’s plenty of hot stuff to keep even someone with the attention span of a gnat glued to the screen for an hour, so choose your poison below.

[Truth be told, I love piling all these disparate links/items in one post. There's some stuff here to peruse quickly, but there's also plenty on which to procrastinate, or to suck up an entire boring day at the office.]

-Strobist: Photos of the Year contest.
A 30-second read on David’s blog will catch you up on the great photo contest he’s putting on, but a 30-minute perusal of his Flickr pool won’t even scratch the surface of what’s in contention. There’s some good stuff in there. And, you’ll be excited by the prizes. Panel of judges? How bout a panel of one: ME. All bribes will be considered on their merits.

-Flying Humans. You may have seen this, but if not, your time is now. Some friends of my friends were involved in getting this sport off the ground (pun intended) a while back. Nice to see things coming together. The sport is now even featuring in the mainstream. This shiznit is straight-up insane. Beautiful, but insane.

-I’ve said it publicly plenty of times: the face of copyright is changing, and as as visual artists, we should be well aware of how it could effect us. Blindly sticking a stake in the ground for copyright is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Not that the current laws should not be defended, because I believe vehemently that they should, and I’m not afraid to do so. But, it’s time to begin educating one another and visual artists everywhere about options. Only by taking the lead in re-defining the next iteration of copyright law will we have a fair stake; and prior to that we need to educate ourselves on trends and options. I’m a fan of lawyer and Stanford Professor, Larry Lessig, who’s TED video below is a must watch. Things like the Creative Commons, its proponents, ideas, and fundamentals, are not the uncontested answer to professional photography’s needs by any stretch, but they’re a good place to start to understand the mentality of the new era. Only by understanding its movers and shakers and the core of a new and rising ethos can we help shape, manage, collaborate and build upon it. I suggest you seek to understand some of Larry’s ideas:

-If you’re in NYC this month, swing thru Chelsea for a must-hit art show at Jonathan Levine Gallery called The Streets of Europe: A Survey of European Street Art, featuring some of my favs, including Blek Le Rat. (Thanks Wooster Collective). And never forget to check GalleryHopper.org

-Speaking of Wooster Collective, their site continues to excite me, along with NOTCOT.org, 365 Portraits, and others.

-BTW, while I’m thinking of it, a few readers in just the past couple days have asked me why I blog. Some one-liners are outdated, but generally things haven’t changed much since I gave this interview a while back.

-Lots of shopping lists are beginning to appear online for the holiday gift-giving season. A friendly list–with a broad range of prices and interest values–has been presented by CreativeTechs . Getting slightly more geeky TUAW did one for gamers (Guitar Hero anyone?); and there are ridiculously expensive ideas for techies over here at CNET, but the all around winner goes to Coolhunter.

-Lastly, speaking of gifts, as a reward for reading to the bottom of this time-devouring speedlinks list, how bout a dorky, baited, friendly challenge: for every person who leaves a comment on intervals of 10 (ie comment #10, 20, 30…) up to #50 on this post and asks to receive “The Special Edition Holiday Mailer” without cheating and putting in a bunch of worthless entries just to get a prize, I’ll send you a one-off of a little winter promo gift that just went out to a small professional mailing list this year. It’s pretty cool.

[ANY Art Directors, Photo Buyers, agents, etc who would like to be added to this short list AND/OR people who nail those intervals please ping us at info at chasejarvis dot com with your physical address.]

71 Responses to WARNING: Time-Devouring Speedlinks

1. Tammy M. December 13, 2007 at 5:42 am #

Does the first post receive a “Special Edition Holiday Mailer”?

Many blessings.

2. ed December 13, 2007 at 9:00 am #

Tammy being the first and obviously on top of things should get a promo as well.

3. Mickey December 13, 2007 at 2:42 pm #

CJ, I really enjoy your videos adn blog. I especially like the how videos. I also read The strobist and prefer that way of lighting over using my speedotron lights. Could you do more behind the scences how to videos and may with lighting diagrams and thinking comments as to why you did it this way so we can learn more from you and your videos. Also one thing is missing form your packing video… You forgot to mention the shippping cases in the lists. I know the where Pelican 16xx from the video but I have forgot and I have probelms downloading them in to ituns the short will not save at all and th elong version hangs up in the same spot everytime. I do not know if it is my copies or the whole fo rt he iTunes.

4. ryan busch December 13, 2007 at 3:42 pm #

Hey Chase,
    Just thought I would up the comment list… Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your inside knowledge with the photography community. I come here and Dave’s site (Strobist) and you guys do a great job with everything. Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

5. Ryan December 13, 2007 at 4:25 pm #

I want to keep this thing moving. Chase, thanks for your blatant words of wisdom to a culture that likes to keep things secret.

6. Chase Jarvis December 14, 2007 at 12:10 am #

Okay Tammy. You most certainly get one. Send your info to info at chasejarvis dot com.

7. Chase Jarvis December 14, 2007 at 12:15 am #

@mickey: shipping cases are in the next to the last line of the shopping list – Pelican 1630.

8. Anonymous December 14, 2007 at 1:51 am #

Love those TED talks! Wonderful Idea whoever thought of them!

9. Simon December 14, 2007 at 1:54 am #

Am I number ten? cool! Was your mailer a success? I’d love to see what your doing marketing wise?

Si

10. Carlo December 14, 2007 at 10:02 am #

Oooo you’ve got me curious. Too bad I didn’t hit the interval.

I’ll try to stop by those shows in NYC if I have time. Do you know of any other upcoming art/photography shows in NYC?

Oh and that video, is insane. It must be crazy to do that. Totally wanna try it :D
    Thanks for the link to Coolhunter, some really great stuff there. This crazy little lamp just keeps yelling my name :P

11. Michael December 14, 2007 at 12:00 pm #

Love the info Chase and happy to increment the counter for the next person. Happy Holidays

12. Karl Otto Henriksen December 14, 2007 at 12:31 pm #

I would like a little something :) But hitting # is hard. love the speedlinks. Think the BASE-stuff is filmed close by. Trollstigen? Great stuff. Have a nice day :)

13. Backwards HAT December 14, 2007 at 12:33 pm #

Have to add my “Thank You” here as well, Chase. I became aware of your stuff through your buddy back east, Mr. Hobby. Stumbling onto his blog (and subsequently yours) has really upped the quality of my own work, and I have nothing but praise and admiration for you guys.

Tom (Backwards_HAT on Flickr)

BTW, I’ll buy you a beer if you pick one of my photos for SPOY! ;)

14. Kevin Coloton December 14, 2007 at 12:42 pm #

Chase,

Great post as always, I would love to see what the promotional mailer looked like. Thanks

15. Ziv December 14, 2007 at 12:43 pm #

OK, I’ll play along.

16. Brian Garson December 14, 2007 at 12:56 pm #

bah no holiday mailer for me.

17. Ziv December 14, 2007 at 1:26 pm #

Wow… I saw the Flying Humans video earlier in the week. Gotta have big brass ones to do that. If you listen carefully you can hear’em clang as they fly by.

18. Thiago SIlva December 14, 2007 at 1:27 pm #

And if you really want to fly, check this out:

19. > wideangle.ca December 14, 2007 at 1:31 pm #

Thanks for a great Flickr event last week. It’s awesome to see you involved in the community!

20. > wideangle.ca December 14, 2007 at 1:31 pm #

21. Volta December 14, 2007 at 1:39 pm #

Great stuff as per usual, Chase. Making my office day go by that much quicker.

22. Ryan December 14, 2007 at 1:46 pm #

Oh man! I missed 10 and 20!

23. Avlor December 14, 2007 at 1:50 pm #

Oh! The Creative Tech’s wish list was fun. Had to add “The Pocket Paper Engineer, Volume I” to my own wish list. ;)

24. I Go by Ed December 14, 2007 at 1:52 pm #

That Coolhunter list was great. Thanks.

25. Michelle Ellis December 14, 2007 at 2:03 pm #

I love your podcasts. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

26. Anonymous December 14, 2007 at 2:24 pm #

Thanks Chase!

27. Kenneth S Martin December 14, 2007 at 2:31 pm #

Your video on packing was great! I learn something from your posts everytime. Thanks! Oh and just in case I’d like to receive “The Special Edition Holiday Mailer”

28. GeoWulf December 14, 2007 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks for the speedlinks Chase.

(Are you sure you aren’t that ‘cash cab’ guy?)

29. Mark Adams | LaCour December 14, 2007 at 3:11 pm #

I’ll help somebody become the 30th poster :)

30. Rob December 14, 2007 at 3:11 pm #

Thanks for all the links a few weeks ago too.

31. 2hansom December 14, 2007 at 3:12 pm #

I have found all of your info exceedingly useful I have learned quite a bit reading your blog…Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

32. sipperphoto December 14, 2007 at 3:14 pm #

Can I get “The Special Edition Holiday Mailer” ? :-)

Thanks for the links.. yer inspirational man!

33. Ian December 14, 2007 at 3:19 pm #

Since that site obviously took the footage without consent you should give the boys at MSP credit for that jaw dropping footage poached from their movie Seven Sunny Days.

They also have a HDTV show in the Focused series about wingsuit flying in Norway. Well worth checking out.

PS. One of these days I’m going to hit you up for throwing you that Notcot link!

34. Anonymous December 14, 2007 at 3:43 pm #

alright. I can count – so I lose this challenge before I even hit “publish.” But hey, if this sucker doesn’t hit 50 comments, send me their one ;)

James

35. Jill December 14, 2007 at 4:30 pm #

Your blog is great! Your photography is so inspiring.

I recently found your blog and was instantly hooked from the content as well as the name!

~ Jill Jarvis

36. Jared & Jessica December 14, 2007 at 4:47 pm #

found your blog through Strobist readings… love it.

37. Jared & Jessica December 14, 2007 at 4:47 pm #

found your blog through Strobist readings… love it.

38. Jason Wallis December 14, 2007 at 6:56 pm #

Interesting with all of the comments wanting a promo mailer. I am sure like many of those here, I would love to see a blog on how a pro at your level markets effectively.

39. Anonymous December 14, 2007 at 7:18 pm #

The wingsuit base-jumping video is SO sick! Thanks for posting it! I’ve probably watched it 20 times now…

Peace

40. Chris L December 14, 2007 at 7:18 pm #

I’d love the promo mailer!

41. Alexei December 14, 2007 at 7:18 pm #

Hey thanks for putting this all together, it’s a really nice resource. I really look forward to working with you and the Seattle Flickr Group. And I wouldn’t mind getting one of them Holiday Mailers either.

And whats the name of the song in the human fliers video?

-Alexei

42. rémi December 14, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

very interesting TED video!

and, damn, I NEED to try those wingsuit!!!

43. rémi December 14, 2007 at 7:20 pm #

hahaha, missed the 40th post :P

i’ll return to the videos now…

44. Oliver December 15, 2007 at 2:31 am #

Chase, thanks for the shopping links; they will definitely come in handy this holiday season. But I must say that the one you compiled in the previous post was simply amazing =)

45. Bryan December 15, 2007 at 8:34 am #

Chase,

I admire anyone who is willing to take the time to help make a difference in the lives of others. So many people are only focused on themselves that sometimes those who can use a helping hand get lost in the shuffle. You get 2 thumbs up from me.

I take time in the summer away from my newspaper job to volunteer to shoot a kayak camp for young adults with cancer, it doesn’t make me any money, but it is the most rewarding part of my year!

I would also be interested to know if the fundraising you are doing will continue past the holidays? I will certainly keep it in mind for future purchases.

Cheers,
    -Bryan Kelsen

46. Stephen December 15, 2007 at 10:09 am #

Chase-

love your blog/videos. love your work.

47. Photodalyce December 15, 2007 at 10:39 am #

“The Special Edition Holiday Mailer” Please.

48. Michael Keller December 15, 2007 at 11:04 am #

I see that the commenting stopped at 48. Looks like everyone is waiting for that number 49 to pop up so they can be number 50. Well, I won a t-shirt for that superman game challenge, so I’ll take one for the team and post number 49. Enjoy!

49. Adam December 15, 2007 at 11:07 am #

Thanks for the Gallery Hopper link, I’m surprised I’ve never seen it before. I wish I could make it out to the Jonathan Levine show, but don’t have the time :(

for what it’s worth, can I get the “Special Edition Holiday Mailer” please?

50. Snorri Gunnarsson December 15, 2007 at 3:42 pm #

It would be great to see you do a post on marketing strategies, hardcopy or email etc.

Thanks for all the informative work you´ve done its really inspiring.

Have a good one

51. Patrick Nugent December 15, 2007 at 9:28 pm #

I like how the comments more or less end at 50. Your blogs are quite informative, and good reads, I appreciate it. I was wondering if you guys were planning on writing about your post processing at all? In this day of age, post seems to be almost equally important as going on the shoot in the first place, and I would love to see what you guys to to enhance colors, skin tones, etc to get the dope results you get.
    Well anyway, happy holidays.

-Pat Nugent

52. Sean McCormack December 16, 2007 at 9:49 am #

Man. That Mountain Suit link is plain scary…. I’d love a go!

53. The Strobist Slut December 16, 2007 at 7:30 pm #

I can’t belive I’m the first to butter you up for the Strobist challenge. So here’s the deal, Chase.

I’m going to submit a few off-camera lighting photos to the strobist pool, conveniently under 5 different aliases (with 5 differet PO boxes around the US). If you could see fit to select my five (under the guise of artistic vision), I’ll totally send you a pair of my old shoes AND a t-shirt.

Maybe I’ll even make you a new t-shirt on CafePress.com with something witty on it, like “Yo, Web Two-Oh”. I figure it would be tough for a dude like you to turn this down, as I know how much you like your t-shirts. And Web 2.0.

01001010 01100001 01100011 01101111 01100010

54. eck December 16, 2007 at 8:01 pm #

MY JAW IS STILL LYING ON THE FLOOR AFTER VIEWING THE FLYING HUMAN VID! THAT WAS JUST AMAZING! WOW!

Thanks for sharing.

eck

55. omahafitness December 17, 2007 at 6:40 am #

Hey Chase – Great work and excellent blogg’n.

Check out Jeb Corliss and some of his stunts. Last year he was arrested for attempting to jump off the Empire State Building. This guy is nuts!

My friends at GO FAST SPORTS show some pretty wicked stuff with the wingsuit. Jeb used a wingsuit and in an attempt to land WITHOUT A PARACHUTE!

Cheers
    Isaac
    LIFTstudios

56. Darin Clisby December 17, 2007 at 7:41 am #

As a direct result of listening to your reasons for sharing what you know I’ve relaxed my own views on this. I’ve taken to enjoy sharing what I know, especially with people who are new to off-camera flash and studio light.

Don’t know what my interval is but “oh well”… hope for the best! Have a great holiday!

57. Chase Jarvis December 17, 2007 at 11:15 am #

Wow: I’m totally inspired by the communities collaboration to move this past 50 in one day – people regularly “took one for the team”. Love love it.

That said, by my count here’s the winners:

Tammy for being #1 – still need your addy Tammy.

Simon for #10 – still need your addy Simon.

Wideangle.ca #20 – still need your addy wideangle.ca

Rob #30 – got your addy, thx.

Chris L #40 – got your addy, thx.

Adam #50 – got your addy, thx!

For those above, this is a time sensitive endeavor, I’ll need your addresses by the end of this week or else…. ;)

58. Ryan December 17, 2007 at 2:21 pm #

or else…

59. Ryan December 17, 2007 at 2:21 pm #

or else I get one too. :)

60. www.sarahrhoadsphoto.com/blog December 17, 2007 at 7:54 pm #

Chase.. cheers to flying people.. for wise words.. and good “speedlinks” :)

61. bmillios December 18, 2007 at 2:19 pm #

Either getting lucky, or taking one for the team.

Happy holidays to everybody.

Bill

62. Moving Images Photography December 21, 2007 at 7:05 am #

Hey Chase,
    Love your insight and genuine effort to post useful info here! I guess it’s the nature of all Nikon shooters. Rock ON my friend!

-Adam Miasik-

63. Taylor December 22, 2007 at 11:05 pm #

Hey Chase,
    This is not related to the post but just had a quick question. I know you went to grad school but what did you do until your business started seeing success? Did you have any other jobs while learning photography on your own or did you just rough it financially while pursuing your passion?(i ask because this is my situation…ive got one year left of school and im beginning to question)
    Thanks!

Taylor

64. Jacob December 23, 2007 at 8:53 am #

Merry Christmas dude! Thanks for a great year of blogging and sharing.

Jacob Gibb

65. Chase Jarvis December 24, 2007 at 11:33 am #

@ taylor: yes it takes some time to get up and running, but fear not. Here’s some basic answers to FAQ’s about getting up and going. The post is more than a year old, so the camera equip has changed, but there’s a couple nuggets here:

66. thecollectiveimage@gmail.com December 25, 2007 at 1:42 pm #

Hiya Chase,

This is coming to you from way across the globe… Just wanted to let you know that I came across your site recently, and am completely hooked! Been in the business awhile now, but boy are you a breath of fresh air! Thanks for sharing.

TC.

P.S. I’m sure I’m way past the contest, but how about posting the mailer online for the rest of us?

67. Adam December 25, 2007 at 9:27 pm #

Hey Chase, Recieved the holiday mailer on Monday, great shots! Thanks.

-Adam

68. Taylor Jones December 27, 2007 at 12:52 pm #

Chase, I can’t believe I missed out on this. I really enjoy your work, and the mailer would have been a huge encouragement. It’s hard getting things started at 20 years old, but I’m making it work. Thanks for your involvement in the community!

Taylor Christian Jones

69. Chase Jarvis December 27, 2007 at 6:08 pm #

To those who want the mailer posted… I want to post it…but I think we pulled a boner move and gave every one of ‘em away. I’ll see what we can do… Resurrect a digital file or something…

70. Anonymous December 31, 2007 at 9:31 am #

Chase,

You rock man. Love reading your blog and the time sucking links really did their job!

Thank you.

71. Jim Goldstein January 3, 2008 at 4:48 pm #

Happy New Year Chase :)
    To start the year off right I’m catching up on your blog posts. I have the Lawrence Lessig TED video on my blog as well. I’m a fan like you and feel it’s a must to stay on top of copyright issues. After some recent debate on Creative Commons I had the good fortune of interviewing him for my podcast “EXIF and Beyond: Lawrence Lessig Interview“. You might find it of interest.

Here’s to a great 2008!