RWAV_1 REVEALED: Paris (Rue Birague)

Okay, THAT was fun. I really enjoyed the hell out of that for a number of reasons: your humor, your cleverness, your brilliance, my teasing the wrong answer out of you, my planted clues your detective-ness, the educational value, and the general gamesmanship. Plus, underneath it all, you guys and gals are really freaking sharp.

ANSWER: Paris, France. 12, rue Birague, Hotel Place des Vosges, Room 42. A couple “winners” links at the bottom of the post.

Okay, some introductory remarks that won’t be here for future RWAVs, but are worth commenting on now:

1. To those of you that guessed simply “Paris” you were right, sort of. Had this been a more obscure place, like Topeka, Kansas, or Palm Springs, California, just drilling down to the city probably would have been the cake taker. If I post the skyline of Manhattan next time, perhaps try to guess deeper… Regardless, don’t be discouraged, you all kicked ass. That said, read on to see how some folks went the extra mile. (still linkage at the bottom, however, for some of you who hollered Paris!)

2.Loved that many of you thought to check the photo’s title/metadata. That’s an educational/infomercial thought I planted. There is usually info there that can help (or hurt) you. I did consider changing it before posting, but I thought I’d leave it as a test of the group mentality and, more importantly, as a red herring for many of you smarty-pants’ out there who I KNEW would – if combined with a shot of the noticeable pink of Place des Vosges–jump straight for our place in Paris. That’s where I was tricky – 5 Rue de Bearn resides on the opposite side (north) of the square, this was shot from the south.

3. Loved those of you who went the extra mile. Google maps? Photosynth? Flickr? Your own deductions? So cool. HUGE props and so cool. That kind of detail–how you think and what track your on–is going to continue to be a really cool part of this series, forever. Keep it up. Your tenacity will surely be tested in the future however, so don’t get cocky: I will bring the heat ;)

3. Loved that some of you (R=E9mi) picked up that there were other clues online as to my whereabouts (Strobist blog post from 12/30/07). Think about this going forward.

4. Loved Brian Faini’s confidence. He brought the heat, but didn’t perhaps consider that I obviously know what my files are titled (jeez Bri! ;) and that I could have put that there for as a lead…also that he perhaps underestimated the level of detail other’s would go to….

5. Bummed that some of you who would have been “winners” for your Paris answer plus bonus cleverness, however didn’t leave your url so I could link to you at the bottom of this post. Next time?

6. Loved that many of you knew there was some trickery in there somewhere ;)

7. Why the hotel across the square and not your place in Paris at 5, Rue de Bearn? Good question. Our lease there has expired and we were there in part to address some stuff in storage and get a new office (woohoo which we did and will detail later). Phone numbers are the same and mail will get forwarded to the new addy…

8. I’m already jazzed for the next one of these. Just so you know I’m in Seattle right now, and headed out again on Wednesday, so keep your ear to the ground…

Now for some of the gritty road snapshots I promised:

The TSA wants to know why I’m on the tarmac at Gate C9 in Chicago at night while it’s snowing. So do I.

Amazing sky while flying into Paris.

Pods inside of Gorges atop Pompidou.

French bread has texture.

Architect and good friend Andrew of Build LLC with his wife Angela.

Our friends Matt and Rozen’s house. Funny picture.

My champagne glass.

Nothing to say about this.

Favorite Paris store: Colette.

Newest Museum in Paris, Musée du Quai Branly.

This is a one room hotel pod atop a museum. You can rent it for the night. Get in line. Read here.

And if you want to watch a couple VERY short stupid vids from my point and shoot, see a dancer in the streets of Paris on New Years Eve (5 seconds), my cab driver plow over curbs and drive like a crazy person at rush hour (70 sec), see same cab cut off 30 cars at a stoplight and ram more curbs (20 sec).

Winner Lottery Links: And now for the coolest community part… Please go visit these peoples sites – they kicked ass in the first ever Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH A VIEW. I found some cool nuggets at their site and you should too. You could win next time and I bet you’d love some fresh eyes on your stuff. Grow the photo community.

-Best Detective is Nicolas by far – he gave no url – but if he sends an email and some size/style info to info at chase jarvis dot com we’ll send him a limited edition tshirt.
-I like David’s photoblog a lot.
-Alex Von Boxl gave freakin’ GPS coords! and his Flickr stream does Place des Vosges some justice.
-Marcos almost got my exact room number, missed by one floor and one window over. Visit his site.
-Josh Meador has a cover image that looks a lot like one of mine, maybe better.
-Rob Birrell was on it pretty early…nice shot on his site of a VW under water.

Looking forward to getting on the road again in 48 hours so we can play some more.

[RSS readers might want to see photos here.]

19 Responses to RWAV_1 REVEALED: Paris (Rue Birague)

1. Anonymous January 8, 2008 at 2:53 am #

CJ: Ok, suffice it to say that this blog series is tha shiiiiznit. Don’t get me wrong, I love your vids more than life itself, but this gives us all a street level view, blow by blow take. a real peek, and that doesn’t exist. Nobody is doing this stuff, except, of course you.

Seeing your point and shoot snapshots make me want to have your baby. Okay, that sounds lame.Strike that. Seeing your snapshots makes me want to get off my ass and do something creative.

-Fanboy1

2. Jay McLaughlin January 8, 2008 at 3:21 am #

Considering you spend so much time in Paris, I love that you still take time out to go to places like the Pompidou! It’s one of my favourite buildings in the world, purely because it’s built inside out! hahaha

I’m quite bummed that I didn’t get out of my box and go obscure on my answer…. at what point does it stop being the answer to a quiz and start becoming stalking????

Can’t wait for the next one!

3. brian faini January 8, 2008 at 6:08 am #

Ouch! Chase, ouch!

Stand me up in front of the class like that…

Well I thought in your busy life that you forgot to change the file name. I just wanted to put in my own bit of wit/one-ups-manship

I like the addition of others and their maps and personal photos. Had I known specifics I would have done the same.

I knew it was Paris from the architecture. You spending alot of time in Paris was a bonus.

How are you liking the G9? I have wanted one for “happy snaps” for awhile. DSLRs can be a bit bulky.

Have you switched to the D3 yet?
    Don’t wanna check all your meta data.

I will be waiting for the next one.

4. dovlove January 8, 2008 at 7:18 am #

Hahaha… You need to continue with a series of crazy cab driving snips! The music made the drive even better!

-dov
    dovviramontes.com

5. Chase Jarvis January 8, 2008 at 7:57 am #

@Brian – don’t get me wrong, I LOVED it! played right into my little trap.

Cool part is that you didn’t know specifics this go round, but you surely will be able to show your stuff at some point down the road when others will not. That’s the beauty of this thing ;)

BTW, loving the G9 and, ahem, the D3. Incredible machine, beautiful files.

6. Chase Jarvis January 8, 2008 at 7:58 am #

@dovelove – glad you dug the cab vids. I thought they were hilarious too.

@jay – HA! stalk away if it means you win the prize, right ;)

7. GeoWulf January 8, 2008 at 8:19 am #

I see you (quite literally) captured Andrew’s “Better Half”.

8. Marcos G. Meider January 8, 2008 at 8:57 am #

This shows you that the world isn’t big enough..and anyone can be “chased” no matter where he or she hides!! I said room 51 as I thought you might considered taking a snap of the street from the same room window where George Simenon écrivit «L’Outlaw»

Looking forward to the next one.

9. Rémi January 8, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

Hey Chase, just to be sure, do you see my name as Rémi (Remi with an accent on the E) or it’s just your keyboard that named me like if I was a robot (R=E9mi)?

:P

10. brian faini January 8, 2008 at 4:21 pm #

Chase,
    I wont hold it against you.
    This time! :P

My co-worker the one of the first D3s off the line. It was fun to play with even though I’m a Canon man.

So where are your journeys going to take you next, you can e-mail the answer. You know, just to get a leg up. My limited travels (only in the US) will limit my abilities so I will have to tap my keg of otherwise useless knowledge.

11. Chase Jarvis January 8, 2008 at 5:23 pm #

@ remi: i see your name here as Remi, but not in my feedburner comments… Now I know…

12. Dave(id) January 8, 2008 at 6:23 pm #

That was a fun idea. Thanks for the positive comment and link, I was wondering where all those hits came from.

Keep up the goodness.

13. rbirrell January 9, 2008 at 4:47 am #

Really pleased that you liked my shot of the VW Beetle underwater. Needless to say that its a Photoshop composite. The VW Beetle was originally green. The VW, girl in the snorkel, fish and bubbles were all shot separately. It was shot as a self-promotional image while studying at college. I’m now endeavouring to get my fledgling commercial photography business off the ground so compliments from guys such as Chase are immensely encouraging.

Thanks once again, Rob Birrell
    http://www.robbirrell.com – Rob Birrell Photography

14. carlos benjamin - benjphoto.com January 12, 2008 at 7:36 pm #

Sky….. Um…… daytime….. er…… Western hemisphere (you can’t fool me with that China wool you pulled over others’ eyes……

What do I win?

15. Anonymous January 13, 2008 at 10:12 pm #

Chaser: the vids of your cab ride are really fresh. More of those please. That kind of stuff puts me way into your shoes, and I like it.

16. lovely March 3, 2008 at 2:23 am #

I would say COOL!!! Really. The first thought in my mind is about the “fresh candy car body painting

17. Ricky Holloman November 29, 2012 at 6:10 am #

This post is in fact a nice one it helps new web people, who are wishing for blogging.

18. Leif Mara February 12, 2013 at 7:17 am #

Hello this is a fantastic send. I’m free to e mail this to my buddies. I stumbled by this while browsing by bing I’ll live sure to come rearward. thanks for sharing.

19. Jeremy Lybecker February 14, 2013 at 5:17 am #

I was emphatically on the lookout for this info for wholly a although. Following six to eight hours regarding continuous Googleing, at last I acquired it within your web tangle locate. I brood over what’s the likely need of Google strategy that accomplish not rank this type of informative tangle sites in the top of list. Customarily the very finest sites are packed with garbage.