RWAV_2 REVEALED: Palm Springs, CA (Viceroy Hotel)

Damn. You guys are really good, and I dig your zest for RWAV. I was in fact at in Palm Springs, CA, staying in the villas at the Viceroy Hotel. Snapshots from behind the scenes are below, along with a nice selection of sites at the end of this entry from those who guessed correctly (and even some who didn’t).

Scott loves the TSA, especially when they search his suitcase for batteries, then can’t get it back together so they just bind it together with giant zip ties that could hold King Kong.

Dartanyon hides behind my martini in the Viceroy bar.

Kate gives us an early morning briefing before we head out. With us, my right hand man Scott and the client/Creative Director, Anthony.

Snap from my car to my homies’ car – photo support crew in their Suburban.

Alvin the stylist gives Sarah some lip.

The adhoc edit suite.

My iPhone glued to my head by the gazebo on an edit day.

Breakfast in the gazebo after the previous night’s wrap party.

G9 flashed thru a wine bottle at a dinner. Roman and Scott looking, well…so avant garde.

I like to play this little game called “look tough with a straw in your mouth”. I challenge people to do this and no one can succeed. Here, Cody gets close, although he looks more like Kiefer Sutherland crossed with a meth addict than a tough guy.

Pool time before flying out. Cody, Scott, my chair, Kate.

Thanks to those who guessed my location with startling accuracy:

First, Anne who guessed the hotel within 3 minutes of my posting. Some really nice shots, clean site: I like her archive.

Props to James Duncan Davidson for noting that I could wipe off Paris jet lag in the pool after a hard day’s work. JDD is great guy I’ve had the pleasure to meet, and has a swell blog.

Jay McLaughlin gets a shoutout for compositing MY dumb ass (I have no idea where he got the image of me looking like a train wreck) into the pool shot.

Brian Faini didn’t nail it, but I sent him on a funny wild goose chase in NYC last week via email so I felt bad and thus he gets a nod ;)

Ronica Design is a designer who takes really solid images.

And Rednuht had the coolest photo that I saw while perusing the posts.

N506 got within 4 inches of my location.

Thanks for the spirit y’all. Hope that my snapshots are starting to give you a flavor for the road.

RSS readers might want to see photos here.

20 Responses to RWAV_2 REVEALED: Palm Springs, CA (Viceroy Hotel)

1. Jay McLaughlin January 18, 2008 at 1:52 am #

Now I’m not usually one to be picky, but who’s “Josh Mcculloch”?????

2. brian faini January 18, 2008 at 4:29 am #

Thanks Chase…

I will be constantly checking my e-mail for the next clue!

I promise I will nail the next one.

3. Anonymous January 18, 2008 at 6:50 am #

Super cool, Chase. Really cool.

Love looking at your snapshots. I’l ll have to test out that flashing thru a wine bottle technique (credit to you, of course). Looks like you guys have some fun when you’re not working hard (ish). Thanks for the link to the battery/TSA entry too. Also, there’s probably some logical reason NOT to do this, but can you share with us who you’re working for on some travels?

4. Ken Mott January 18, 2008 at 8:14 am #

That composite shot looks like one from the Seattle Flickrites night, when you had us over.

You were wearing that same shirt.

5. SecondFocus January 18, 2008 at 8:24 am #

It looks like while you were in Palm Springs, I was also all around Palm Springs on assignment shooting a travel feature for a magazine.

Of course I live here so that made it easy. I usually find myself on an airplane shooting somewhere else. Funny how that works!

6. Josh McCulloch January 18, 2008 at 8:37 am #

@Jay McLaughlin: That would be me… I guess our initials got him messed up!

To clarify, Jay Mclaughlin created that great PS composite of Chase at the Viceroy, not me. Nice job Jay!

Cheers, Josh

7. Scott Dickerson January 18, 2008 at 10:15 am #

This is fun. It feels stupid to be interested in, and enjoy such lame photographs. But I suppose my interest alone validates them and makes them good despite their technical and aesthetic shortcomings. One point for the ‘subject matter’ team.

When you post one from bush Alaska I might have a chance at winning the gold medal, until then I’ll remain an onlooker.

cheers

8. MacGyver January 18, 2008 at 10:33 am #

I would really like to get a closer look at the setup you had for the adhoc edit suite. It looks like you had the external drives velcroed to the lid of your Pelican case instead of underneath as you had it in your laptop case video.

It this a new version of the location laptop case? I picked up the Pelican 1495 and modified the foam for my 17″ Powerbook, but the drives underneath tend to get really hot when I’m editing in FCP. I thought about relocating the external drives to the lid, but wasn’t sure about how the drives would perform when mounted vertically.

9. Chase Jarvis January 18, 2008 at 11:14 am #

@ Jay and JOsh: you guessed it I cross polinated you guys moving too quickly – but I fixed er right up as soon as you posted Jay. Sorry bout that – still mad props ;)

10. Chase Jarvis January 18, 2008 at 11:23 am #

@ scott: indeed the purpose of these posts are to show life on the road from a gritty, real perspective. I don’t want this blog ever to be too polished. It’s trite, but still keeping it real.

Also, I snapshot like crazy without regard to creating masterpieces (the beauty of digi point and shoots) ALL the time, and people should know this… It’s a strange comfort for me – not to have to go around taking carefully composed pictures of my friends at the beach/bar/back of the truck with the H3D ;)

Btwn those things: 1)sharing the underbelly of time on the road; and 2)that I snapshot a lot without regard to “professional” images hopefully makes this series worth while.

And then of course there’s the added layer of trying to continue to share the sites of readers (you) with the rest of the readers… There’s ALWAYS something to learn/get inspirateion from others, eh ;)

And then of course don’t forget about the game part too! Good fun.

11. Chase Jarvis January 18, 2008 at 11:25 am #

@macgyver: yes we have a new iteration of the laptop case.

We never intended to be editing too much video off those drives, and our heat issues are still mild to none given just downloading and metadata-ing. BUT, we’ll share our new iteration once we’re thru testing. What’s in the image you see above is testing just one component of our new system, so don’t jump to conclusions. We’ll test, retest and kill a few things before sharing it, so that you don’t have to ;)

12. Jay McLaughlin January 18, 2008 at 11:38 am #

Josh – Hahahaha! At least now I know you’re a real person and not a figment of Chase’s imagination!

13. Black English January 18, 2008 at 5:44 pm #

Even though I lost out again Sunday I’ll be the big winner along with 49 other friends!!!! See ya Sunday Chase!!!

14. red January 19, 2008 at 4:56 pm #

Whoa, I’ll have TSA search my bags, I could use some of those crazy zip ties. :)

15. Martin Stickland January 20, 2008 at 2:31 am #

Yipee dee dooo!!

Love your photo web site! love this blog! Love wearing rubber … shit! sorry! how did that one get in there? I mean Love your photos!

And there is me taking my little ‘snaps’ in my little English seaside Village thinking I am the ‘bees knees’ and I come across a professional outfit like yours! (sorry, when I mean I come across you I meant I found you, gosh! That sounded rather rude!)

Boo Hoo… I am going back to stacking shelves again, life is just not fair, I want to end it all!…. Oh, I forgot, it’s roast Beef with all the trimmings for supper tonight so perhaps I will leave that ‘ending it all bit’ until the morning, anyway, I am sure it would hurt and my wife would kill me if I ended it all.

I love that video with the 2,000 shots incorporated in to it.

Keep up the good work guys and if you ever want to pop and visit wet old England then let me know and I will get the wife to put the kettle on and we will have a nice cup of tea.

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Martin

16. Frederik January 20, 2008 at 4:48 am #

A real cool post Chase, I love the behind the scenes thing you’ve got going on.

Yeah point and shoot digi camera’s are always useful

I really like the RWAV.

Greets from Belgium (far far away :-) )

17. whyihatetexas01 January 20, 2008 at 7:27 pm #

One time while sitting at a restaurant, my twin brother took a sip of his drink and said, “It’s impossible to look tough while drinking out of a staw.”

He had a two foot mowhawk, a spiked leather jacket and look on his face that would scare our mother, but when he drank from a straw, he looked like the biggest wuss in the world.

cheers, Chase. Thanks for all you do for the photo community.

18. Will Foster January 22, 2008 at 10:37 am #

hey, since i see you enjoy taking pictures with your iphone all the time, i just ran across this interesting gadget.

Conice 6×18 Zoom Attachment for iPhone

it is a optical zoom attachment for an iphone. I could totally see you taking advantage of this inexpensive addon! haha :)

Will Foster

19. Paulo Rodrigues January 27, 2008 at 3:32 am #

Chase, you have laid down the gauntlet now. I have started a flickr group called “Look Tough With a Straw in Your Mouth”

Lets see if someone can manage it?

20. Beats by Dre Pro December 21, 2011 at 10:04 am #

Done well! Really enjoyed browsing your article to its wonderful concepts and different views.