Apple Releases Aperture 2

Exciting news for photographers. Apple has just minutes ago released the much-anticipated Aperture 2. Looking very powerful, featuring an impressive “more than 100 improvements” over the last edition 1.5. Check it out for yourselves here:

Macworld Article Featuring Apple Aperture 2

Apple.com site featuring Aperture 2.

[I'm on the road, in transit, so didn't have but a minute to get this post up - just thought you'd like to know...]

13 Responses to Apple Releases Aperture 2

1. Anonymous February 12, 2008 at 8:08 am #

YES!! Thnks for the heads up. And looks like the upgrad e is only $99 from the last version. Anyone know if it’s downloadable immediately?

PhoebeT
    Austin

2. Anonymous February 12, 2008 at 8:14 am #

@phoebe: yes. upgrade is downloadable now. and looks like you can get a full trial version for 30 days for free – good news.

3. James Hill February 12, 2008 at 8:42 am #

They incorrectly spelt their own product, haha.. brilliant… although they’ve now fixed the production site I got a sneaky screenshot.

4. R Mireles Photography February 12, 2008 at 11:51 am #

Thanks for the info, good catch James Hill , thats funny..

5. Your Mama February 12, 2008 at 4:46 pm #

Just downloaded the upgrade. It’s fast, and it’s sexy.

6. Danno February 12, 2008 at 5:12 pm #

Yeah, i’m gonna stick with Lightroom, all the way. Many reasons , but really the fact that it is both PC and Mac compatible I can have both machines running off of the same networked attached storage device holding all the photos… not so with aperture :/ apple only product. I have both mac’s and pc’s and need an app that works in both environments.

Rocksteady,
    Danno~

7. stevienicks February 12, 2008 at 5:40 pm #

Danno – I’m actually just the opposite. Given the last 8 hours on this new app, I’m shifting entirely over here after running with both for some time. Aperture 2 is SOOO fast on my MacPro! Love the tabs too. Very clean. I o like the output of both lightroom and this new aperture, but truth be told, I’m seduced by Apple
    s UI. I’m also all Apple, so the PC/Mac thing is not a consideration. To each their own, but I’m with Aperture.

8. Hugh Macdonald February 13, 2008 at 4:31 am #

I’m liking the look of this…

I’ve been using Aperture 1.5 for about the last 6 or 7 months. Aperture 2 has a load of features that I’m not sure I’m so bothered about, but the main things that I’m very excited about are more workflow-based ones – customiseable keyboard shortcuts and in-built tethered shooting (I’ve done tethered shooting into Aperture before, but it had to run through so many different programs to get the pictures there)

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

9. Joel Flory March 10, 2008 at 11:44 am #

Chase,

Have you had some time to take a look at the program? What are your thoughts on the upgrade?

10. Chase Jarvis March 29, 2008 at 4:21 pm #

Joel- Indeed I have. VAST improvements in many areas. Some of our favs:

1)workflow – it’s very fast; preview mode is widely enhanced; the UI is much more intuitive; background exporting of files while you’re working is really nice.

2)tools – you now get lots more useful tools like vibrancy, definition, recovery, vignette, retouch brush to name a few (!); and tethered shooting is new and awesome. Keyboard shortcuts n stuff too…

3)bonus stuff – book layouts are better and you can publish thru any service; export to Flickr plugins, etc, with surely lots more plugins on the way.

It’s a huge upgrade. The engineers certainly listened to photographers when went about buffing Aperture 2 out.

11. Axl March 29, 2008 at 6:03 pm #

Thanks for the update Chase. I’m downloading the upgrade now, thanks to you. LOVE this new version. You owe me $99 :)

12. sokkerdad April 3, 2008 at 12:12 pm #

I’m just really diving into shooting everything in RAW. Used to be wary about the uber time-suck. Admittedly, though, I’m very impressed with how fast you can be and on the adjustment freedom you’ve got. I never had the earlier release, so I don’t know all the improvements, but it seems quite slick.

13. Kandi Szostak March 21, 2012 at 4:04 am #

I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of fantastic information, saved to favorites (:.