Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_3

Ok, you know the routine from previous RWAVs. By all measures of previous correspondence, this series is a readership favorite. As a reminder:

1) I post a snapshot from my hotel room, wherever in the world that might be.
2) You guess the location in the comments–the more accurate is better–and include your url in your guess if you want to be entered in the “winners” payoff.
3) I call out the most accurate and/or the most innovative for their identification of my location. “Winners” get traffic, a shoutout, tshirts and/or all three.

Think you know where I am in the above shot? Bring it on.

Good luck. And welcome again to my life on the road.

54 Responses to Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_3

1. Black English February 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm #

I go first, Los Angeles, California…

2. VagabondJim February 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

Architecture, building density, and weather are wrong for L.A. I’m more inclined to guess Chicago or NYC, But those are just guesses.

3. Barak February 12, 2008 at 11:01 pm #

Cool, you got a gig in Gotham City! I bet you were there to get a picture of Batman sticking to a wall

4. Tim February 13, 2008 at 12:29 am #

Kind of looks like the Central district of Hong Kong (particularly the skyscraper with the light at the top), though I’m not sure there are not enough skyscrapers for that guess to be accurate.

5. Kalmár Nagy András February 13, 2008 at 12:52 am #

Argh… I give up for now, got things to do… It’s somewhere anglo-saxon, ‘cos of the funny sliding windows, and I don’t think it’s in England, ‘cos I see a taillight on the left side of the road. Sloped roof: somewhere north… My initial bet was Portalnd, OR… but I’m not so sure, it doesn’t add up.

6. Kalmár Nagy András February 13, 2008 at 12:53 am #

I meant to say the right side of the road…

7. dirtyone30 February 13, 2008 at 1:33 am #

My guess is Frankfurt, not too sure on the exact location but i’m pretty sure you’re in Frankfurt.

8. red February 13, 2008 at 3:39 am #

NYC, 9th Ave, between 57th and 58th street, looking south.

Same URL as last time :)

9. red February 13, 2008 at 3:51 am #

Hudson Hotel, topmost floor of the “U” bend of the main building.

10. brian faini February 13, 2008 at 4:44 am #

You have already given me a nod do to my feeble attempts in the past. But it is still fun.

That is around 57th St. and 9 Ave. in the NYC, if my memory suits me well. Finally a city I know…

Couldn’t tell you want hotel though but I would say half a block from here
    40.768242, -73.985478
    This is the first one you stripped all the metadata from…

11. stevienicks February 13, 2008 at 4:50 am #

I’m with Dirtyone – Frankfurt feels right. I’ve seen CJ in the Photoshelter video on United Airlines and heard him talk of 1k (fflyer program) with them – Frankfurt is a hub of theirs in Europe. It’s also about the “right” amount cosmopolitan for this shot, and the right amount euro (check out the copper rooftop in the photos foreground).

I’m banking with Dirtyone: Frankfurt.

(no website – yet.)

12. dirtyone30 February 13, 2008 at 4:56 am #

There’s a strobist meet in Frankfurt on the 24th too . . . hmmmmmmmmmm

Strobist in Frankfurt

My stuff

13. Anonymous February 13, 2008 at 5:11 am #

Just stumbled here from the design world, so I don’t have a photo website…forgive me… but this is cool. My thinking outloud is the rooftop in the foreground is not German architecture, it’s French (a “Mansard” rooftop I think). But this is clearly not France. He’s trying to throw us off track. The weather looks like Northern European…a closer look seems to show snow on said rooftop (am I mistaken? is that just the rooftop and on tha street below?)

If so, where had snow this week? Quick Googling tells me NOT Frankfurt, or somewhere north. European (sun and cloudy all week). The northeast US has/had snow – Chicago all the way to Portland Maine if I’m not mistaken. Seems USAesque. Seems Chicago. Tshirt please!

14. Dan Murdoch February 13, 2008 at 6:00 am #

I’m going with New York City. It looks like the right weather for the time of the shot.

15. Jameson Abart February 13, 2008 at 6:01 am #

Definitely New York City. Hudson Hotel at 365 West 58th Street.

I’d say you are on about the 19th or 20th floor. The view is south overlooking the hotel’s private park.

Next time you need to step up to the penthouse suite. The bathroom window gives you a similar vantage point.

I checked with the hotel staff, they said you checked in at about 3:30 yesterday afternoon….kidding!

Jameson Abart

16. Gordon February 13, 2008 at 6:18 am #

looks like a wet and cloudy New York to me.

17. Manuel February 13, 2008 at 6:20 am #

I don’t think it is Frankfurt….
    minor “cultural” differences: The building on the left has guillotine windows (not sure…maybe they are called sash- windows?) which are not at all used in Germany and there are boxes that look like individual AC- units…again not used in Germany (for environmental reasons I suppose.) Don’t even get me started on what appears to be a tin roof in the centre of the image…
    To sum it up: hot weather in the summer (AC) Victorian- style windows and new world architecture- think it’s New York, but can’t be more precise, since I’ve never been there.

18. Brian February 13, 2008 at 6:30 am #

montreal quebec.

19. brian faini February 13, 2008 at 6:42 am #

If you notice all the light that is coming from the left. That is a good sign that this image is south facing and that is the times square area.

Google maps street-view will give you a similar perspective if you go to 57th and 9th ave.

20. AnthoNYC February 13, 2008 at 6:45 am #

Guys – here’s some help for the group: It’s for sure Hudson Hotel in NYC. I actually saw Chase in the hotel lobby by the bar there last night.

btw, I”m not man enough to sign this post with my url for fear of being labeled a fan boy stalker :D

21. Sherman February 13, 2008 at 6:45 am #

New York City. Hudson Hotel, 356 West 58th Street.

22. Adam Kaplan February 13, 2008 at 7:16 am #

Defiantly the Hudson Hotel, looking South.

23. David February 13, 2008 at 7:18 am #

Nice photo, Herr Jarvis.

24. Terrence February 13, 2008 at 7:23 am #

I’m with the NYC contingent. Definitely the Hudson Hotel looking South, 9th Avenue to the right. The tall building with the lit pyramid top is part of World Wide Plaza.

The building dead ahead with the dual chimneys is the Parc Vendome condos I think.

25. Daniel Cormier February 13, 2008 at 8:25 am #

I think David Hobby gave you away. I’ll guess NY.

26. dirtyone30 February 13, 2008 at 9:01 am #

Definitely Frankfurt … Sheesh what’s wrong with you people ?

Size medium please Chase ;>)

27. Dez February 13, 2008 at 9:06 am #

Yep

mos def the big apple

28. Ken Mott February 13, 2008 at 9:17 am #

I saw the picture and instantly thought NYC. Then opened a google page. Went back to Chases post, scrolled down and saw that people already posted his location and gave up any more research.

Chase, I think you should moderate the comments so that people actually getting it right don’t give it away and give some others a chance to truely guess. Then release the answers when you get like 50 posts.

29. matthew brush February 13, 2008 at 11:12 am #

Well considering that there’s red taillights on the left side of the road, I’m guessing London,UK.

Matthew Brush

30. Cory February 13, 2008 at 12:27 pm #

I agree with NewYork but i’d say its a view of Madison ave from around 92nd st

31. Anonymous February 13, 2008 at 2:11 pm #

There we go then a rendezvous was arranged at the Hudson hotel in midtown. This is the Chase fuckin Jarvis so we dragged ourselves away from the east village and made the trip north for an audience with the mega marketer himself.

32. Anonymous February 13, 2008 at 2:43 pm #

Why in the world would I care where and when Chase Jarvis stayed in a hotel.

Hell, every location shooter in the world has done this. All the guys in the Fight Club were doing this years ago.

Give me a break, this is self-indulgent Make-yourslef look great crap.

Chase you take yourself far too seriously.

33. PeterPerunovic February 13, 2008 at 3:06 pm #

That’s NY for sure, after a litle more reaserch – Hudson hotel.

I recently found this blog, it has some great info Chase!

34. wade heninger February 13, 2008 at 3:32 pm #

I thought NY as well when I first saw this. Feels very NYC to me, and I end up there alot.

And I’ve stayed at the Hudson many times, although I always seem to have a crappy view…

35. mycameraisbiggerthanyours.com February 13, 2008 at 4:11 pm #

new york?

36. Anonymous February 13, 2008 at 4:21 pm #

lol

Man, I hate to spoil it, but this was humorous to run accross…

37. Dan February 13, 2008 at 6:21 pm #

I’m going to go a little north of NYC…to Montreal…looking south. That’s a close as I can get.

38. Rafael Ibáñez February 13, 2008 at 7:04 pm #

You are in a building in the north-east corner of the 57th street and Columbus Ave. in NYC. Maybe in the 20th floor looking through a window facing south. The tallest building, with the lighted-pyramid at the top, is the Wold Wide Plaza.

39. Remi February 13, 2008 at 9:52 pm #

Nice work Rafael ! I search that building for some time on the web. Congrats

Just to add my little something, here’s where Mr. Jarvis probably was :

Chase, those RWAV are really really fun. kinda like my Waldo’s books, but harder ;P

Remi
    (finally online!, still have some links correction for the french version :P )

40. Remi February 13, 2008 at 9:54 pm #

crap, here’s the good link to the picture :

41. Remi February 13, 2008 at 9:58 pm #

crap again!!!! damn blogger@#$%?&***)(*&?

sorry for the mess, just add 151 to the end of the adress. ( …/2263787151/ )

42. Guillaume February 14, 2008 at 5:52 am #

Can’t be Franckfurt. Can’t be Europ. Open your eyes guys!! I gonna think that american people didn’t know anything about european architecture. Just look at meteo in Europ, there is no snow in Franckfurt. But you guys in the north part of america have snow.
    I think about Montréal, Québec. Or NYC.

43. StuPot February 14, 2008 at 5:59 am #

Having never been to the US, my guess from watching the magic box would be NYC, and with Chase’s money, the biggest poshest hotel going!!

44. Nicolas February 14, 2008 at 10:50 am #

Chase,

An other easy one, I hope you’ll have assignments in some exotic places later.
    Did you meet the monster from Cloverfield ?
    I received your tshirt two weeks ago. Do you feel like a rock band with people branding yourself around with limited edition t-shirt ? (this is second degree hm)
    Actually I really like it.
    Cheers,

Nicolas.

45. Christophe Glaudel - Photographer from Paris February 14, 2008 at 11:54 am #

Hi Chase,
    after missing the 1st (Place des Vosges) Room, living in Paris, I take a chance : It seems that Room 3 took place at the corner of 9th and 388 W 57th, looking south-west, few stairs up of the the buiding hosting the D’agostino street market. I dont know if the Hudson hotel & cafetaria get the whole block, but the entry is on the upper street (58th). The top tower you shot (Hearst tower ? )we can see on the left of the picturemight be at the corner of W 50th and 9th ave after the polyclinic hospital.

46. Iván Baña February 14, 2008 at 1:34 pm #

I think is NYC

Your work is amazing!

47. Chase Jarvis February 14, 2008 at 9:07 pm #

Damn – you guys are scary good at this!

48. Chase Jarvis February 14, 2008 at 9:46 pm #

BTW, Anonymous Hater Friend:

-First rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club.

-Second rule of Fight Club consider signing your name/url so we can send you a personalized copy of this.

-Third rule of Fight Club is that if I took myself seriously, I would not own this action figure/DVD combo.

49. stevienicks February 14, 2008 at 9:58 pm #

HA! Hilarious.

50. Anonymous February 15, 2008 at 1:18 am #

Sorry, it was written in jest.

51. Anonymous February 15, 2008 at 7:54 am #

Red has it right….Hudson Hotel…have the same shot myself

52. Jeffrey Chan Tin February 15, 2008 at 8:50 am #

Paris, France.

53. brie February 15, 2008 at 10:19 am #

beautiful, i can only imagine what the view looks like during the day!

54. JMac February 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm #

RE: Chase takes himself too seriously is evil, etc

I’ve got to say it’s the exact opposite. How in the world can anything as hilarious as these RWAV posts be even remotely construed as someone taking himself too seriously?

Most people seem to think they are great and get some good fun out of them. Myself included.

Of course, I only manage to get the city each time and tend to come in a day or two late.

Now, if only he’ll hit Snoqualmie Pass again, although… I just moved away =/