Getty Images SOLD. Now you feel _______.

Getty Images today announced that it has agreed to be acquired by a private equity firm, Hellman & Friedman. From the press release:

SEATTLE, Feb 25, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Getty Images Inc. (NYSE:GYI), the world’s leading creator and distributor of visual content and other digital media, announced today that it has entered into a definitive merger agreement to be acquired by affiliates of the private equity firm Hellman & Friedman LLC in a transaction valued at approximately $2.4 billion, including the assumption of existing debt…

…Hellman & Friedman LLC is a leading private equity investment firm with offices in San Francisco, New York and London. The Firm focuses on investing in superior business franchises and serving as a value-added partner to management in select industries including media and marketing services, financial services, professional services, information services, healthcare and energy. Since its founding in 1984, Hellman & Friedman has raised and, through its affiliated funds, managed over $16 billion of committed capital and is currently investing its sixth partnership, Hellman & Friedman Capital Partners VI L.P., with over $8 billion of committed capital. Representative investments in media and marketing services include: DoubleClick Inc., Catalina Marketing Corporation, Young & Rubicam Inc., Digitas Inc., The Nielsen Company, and Axel Springer AG. For more information, visit www.hf.com.

So I ask you, dearest readership, the following questions. Please answer all, some, or none in the comments below:

1)Please fill in the missing word in the title of this post.

3)What is the master plan in place here?

4)Do you care?

I’ll post my answers to these questions tomorrow. Please post yours now.

Equitalia says:

You can certainly see your expertise in the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart. “There are only two industries that refer to their customers as users.” by Edward Tufte.

Really? I just wrote out a ridiculously thoughtful comment, and it is not showing up for some peculiar reason.

our coat racks are produced of epoxy plastic and they can hold thos heavy clothes*

merveilleuse article, merci bien.

source says:

obviously like your web site however you have to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the truth then again I will surely come back again.

sensationnelle article, merci beaucoup.

Loving the information on this web site, you’ve got done outstanding job on the content material .

I simply wished to appreciate you once again. I’m not certain what I would have made to happen without the tricks contributed by you about this problem. It actually was an absolute frightful crisis in my circumstances, nevertheless understanding this well-written way you treated it took me to weep for happiness. Now i am happy for the work and in addition pray you are aware of a great job you happen to be undertaking educating many others using your websites. More than likely you haven’t met all of us.

Wonderful post, you might have pointed out some wonderful details , I besides believe this s a quite fantastic website.

baratto says:

I like this post, enjoyed this one thank you for posting. “I never let schooling interfere with my education.” by Mark Twain.

Eventually, an problem that I am passionate about. I’ve looked for information of this caliber for the final several hrs. Your site is significantly appreciated.

I appreciate you other useful web page. The location else could I become that sort of real information published in such a best process? I’ve a project that I’m basically now functioning on, and that i are actually with the hunt for this kind of facts.

if you need to hire some fantastic wedding singers, generally appear for any singer with a background in classical music*

Darius Takai says:

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and just couldn’t come across. What a perfect web site.

Don’t clean costume jeaelry with traditional jewelry cleaners,
as these aare too sturdy and will damage the items.
Jewellery could also be constructed from a wide range of
materials, but gemstones and similar materials akin to
amber and coral , treasured etals , beads , and shells have been widely used,
and enamel has usually been necessary. Alloys of practically each steel recognized have been encountered in jewellery.
Cstume Designer – As added by Sisterkate!

Jewellery making developed within tthe Americas 5,000 years inn the
past in Central and South America Giant quantities of gold was easily accessible, and the Aztecs
, Mixtecs , Mayans , aand quite a few Andean cultures, such because the Mochica of
Peru, ccreated stunning items of jewellery.

Man this is so informative, I love reading about diet. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

Photo Thief says:

I steal other photographers photos and sell them on…

Understand requirements jewelry ahead of a jewelry obtain.There can be three unique varieties of ,http://artofabaya.com/,boulders: counterfeit, unnatural and also fake. tiffany jewellery tend to be actual gem stones, however counterfeit is simply cheap dyed to check for instance the the real guy. Healthy diamonds are found undercover and artificial gemstones are generally harvested in a clinical.Have a highly close look for the element appeals to you, and then place it together with alternative portions you are searching for. Be cautious about steps which usually some agents will make use of to generate a wedding appear much better.

Having read this I believed it was very enlightening. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

this has become the most nicely checked out and in-depth information shown in a really lucid style

yebhi coupon codes says:

I’m certainly ready to vist our site mainly regarding one of several information and facts which I was previously seacrching

Hi, I’ve paid for 2 months of letters and have not received any yet. How do I get that fixed?thanks

Jamey Boxx says:

Thanks for any other informative web-site. Where else may possibly just I get that type of data written in this kind of an ideal method? I’ve a mission that I’m just now operating on, and I’ve been about the appear out for this kind of facts.

Anonymous says:

Affiliate Marketing On The Internet
Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.

Anonymous says:

1. Curious
2. Change is inevitable, and rather quickly
3. they will split up the company, segment it, get aggressive
4. change is good – I’m for it. I hated the last couple years of the stock world.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ anon revenue question: less than 10 % of my income comes from stock photography – a model I migrated to back when stock houses began commissioning RF buyout shoots. Sign that the times were changing. I actually ran the other way, reduced any RF and only did small amount high value RM.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ Paul: nice moves. Don’t be bitter, but I like your style. Feels good sometimes ;)

Chase Jarvis says:

@ Finn: A-men.

Anonymous says:

1. Indifferent.
2. No.
3. Profit.
4. No.

JF/Sydney/Australia

Adam Kaplan says:

1) worried, optimistic, cautious.

2)As a photo major, I am thinking about going into the commercial photog. field, and I’ve been looking into putting my work up on stock sites, so I would have to say this will defiantly affect me in the future.

3)No idea, but from what I’ve read, the firm has some other advertising holdings, so it will be interesting to see wether they keep the company as one, or split it up.

4)Of Course.

Anonymous says:

CJ-

What percentage of your revenue comes from Getty? It looks you have a ton of work on their site!!

1) Smug, as I made a decision long go not to base my business around stock.

2) No, see above.

3) They think the name Getty Images holds some weight. They may try to either leverage the name into other market segments (Microsoft Live image search powered by Getty anyone), or they’ll try to canibalise the image library.

4) Obviously I care, as any change this big sends ripples through the industry, however I don’t see this affecting me directly any time too soon.

Anonymous says:

1) relieved that I didn’t have to shell out the bucks! just kidding. indifferent.

2)Do you believe this will affect you personally, either as a non-contributor or as a contributor? No it will not.

3)What is the master plan in place here? It was a business purchase. Obviously the investment firm thought or think they can turn a dollar.

4)Do you care? Change is good. It may shake up the “stock” market within the next 2-5 years. If they are perceived to fail service or value wise someone else will step up to the plate.

1)Please fill in the missing word in the title of this post.

Disturbed

Absolutely. We’ll have to or, better said, try to predict which will be the next move.

3)What is the master plan in place here?

Trying no to think that Getty is the only island out in the ocean.

4)Do you care?

Yes I do. I’ll keep an eye on Getty in the coming months.

Anonymous says:

1)Please fill in the missing word in the title of this post.

F*&cK;&^

YES, as a contributor this will be good for everyone except the talent creating the imagery.

3)What is the master plan in place here?

World Domination!

4)Do you care?

Thank GOD for PhotoShelter, Alamy and Jupiter.

Although, most of my stock income comes from Getty and I will keep on submitting images via the PC program.

1) cautious

2) as a soon to be contributor I have no doubt this will affect me.

3)The master plan is to make dolla-dolla billz. The optimist in me is hoping for the Getty monster and the new owners to make some decisions that will benefit the photographer and not just their bottom line. Realizing, of course, that while treating their contributors (and their images) with respect their decisions will eventually payoff for the company down the line. Getty has such a huge influence on the industry. That influence has the potential to be positive. Change can be good.(wha? am being realistic or just optimistic?)

4)Yes, I do care.

Ken Cavanagh says:

1. ambivalent
2. Yes and it will affect all stock photo to some degree
3.Getty’s plan hasn’t worked out for them…lets see what markets the new owners will focus on. I expect to see more layoffs, sales of some divisions and possibly independent spinoffs.
4.Of course, anyone trying to earn an income from stock is in some way directly or indirectly affected by the 100 pound gorilla of the industry and its policies.

Anonymous says:

1)mystified
2)not sure yet
3)big picture-hopefully new owners will realize the value of quality images.
4)yes I care- in someway it will affect all photographers

Anonymous says:

1) Angry
2) Downturn. The buyer cares even less about photography than Getty does.
3)Of course there is a bigger picture. It’s called business and it doesn’t address anything but dollars and cents.
4) Yes, unfortunately. I have to care.

Finn McKenty says:

1)Interested. lots of deals have fallen through lately with the credit crunch in full effect, but i don’t know the details of this one so i’m not sure where it fits into the overall picture.

2)no- i’m not a photographer

3)ROIC: return on invested capital. i very strongly doubt that the private equity firm cares even a tiny bit about photography.

4)not really, because as sokkerdad said, if this deal somehow compromises getty’s ability to deliver, someone else will just fill their shoes (the invisible hand!)

Sean Austin says:

1. Confused. Their market cap was a 1.6 B a few weeks ago – I don’t understand the paid price.

2. No.

3. If I knew, I would have bought stock before it jumped to $30/share today.

4. Yes, I do.

GeoWulf says:

1) Apathetic
2) No change. But I agree, change is most often good.
3) It would really depend on who is managing Getty after the sale.
4) Yes I am a caring kinda guy!

Bretzelman says:

1) hmm it’s hard to define. A bit worried, a bit optimistic

2) as a contributor of a small local agency, I think it’ll not affect us directly. As my boss said, the market is split in 2 parts: 98% for mainstream media makers like reuters, afp, I think we could count getty as part of this big part. The 2 last percents are for small agencies focused on very specific work with high added value. It’s like comparing the local grocer’s with walmart. The growth of walmart didn’t killed the local grocer’s, at least not the best ones.

3) I think it’s a good things for independants and small mediamakers. They work more locally on more precise topics and assignments, the more some agencies like getty get bigger, the more small structures can make the difference, use their ability to change fast and adapt instantly their offer to the market.

4) Of course.

sokkerdad says:

Dang. News is faster on blogs these days than the mainstream media!

1) Happy.

2) No change.

3) Perhaps the new owners will run a less efficient business that allows independents an better opportunity to compete.

4) Yes. I like it. Change is good.

Thx Chase.