Lawrence Lessig Interview: Photography and Creative Commons

I’m obviously an advocate for artists’ copyright and I believe strongly that it’s king in the world of photography.

I have for years, however, been cognizant of impending pressures on the perception of copyright and how it affects me and my photographer, artist, musician, designer, writer, and filmmaker friends. Like so many of us interested in the new media, I’m ecstatic about the opportunities abound and interested in sharing the content I create, but simultaneously cautious about the erosion of artists’ rights. I’m seeking the best of all worlds and working to feed a constant hunger for new and insightful solutions to the changing landscape.

In the following timely and engaging interview, photographer and fellow blogger/podcaster Jim Goldstein eloquently probes the brain of Stanford law professor, author, and founder of The Creative Commons, Lawrence Lessig. Damn worth the listen:

FWIW, Jim does a superb job interviewing Lessig, firm on some points and generous on others, keeping him targeted on photography and extracting nuggets from Lessig that have previously gone un-discussed in circles where professional photography intersects Creative Commons folk. As could be expected, Lessig also is in top form.

If you’d be jazzed to put this interview in your pocket for later or repeat listening, I’d encourage you to check out Goldstein’s iTunes podcast, EXIF and Beyond. And most certainly pay a visit to Goldstein’s blog and find a way to thank him for his contributions to our growing knowledge base on this topic.

RSS readers may need to listen to the embedded audio file here.

7 Responses to Lawrence Lessig Interview: Photography and Creative Commons

1. Steve Cairney February 8, 2008 at 6:17 am #

I don’t know about you but I’d rather have the support of a law behind me rather than that of a ‘community’.

I’m still not sure how I feel about CC, even after listening to that interview. Have I become an old school guard (something I in essence disagree with) in still thinking it’s opened up a great amount of grey area?

2. Anonymous February 8, 2008 at 8:27 am #

Steve – I don’t think you’re old school or old guard. You’re being calculated which is smart. And I think that’s what Chase is up to here. Urging us to educate ourselves and proceed with caution. He’s furthering the discussion which is crucial for our future.

I, for one, will employ *some* cc licenses, but only where appropriate. And will employ creative commons, non commercial, no derivative works tags. But again only on SOME stuff.

Copyright is still king, as the CJ master says…

3. Chase Jarvis February 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm #

Indeed this post is to increase awareness, discussion, and education. I think that sticking our stake in the sand and relying on copyright as it currently stands is a mistake. Why? Because copyright as we know it might not be there as a reality of market pressures. Not making any claims here about better or worse, I’m merely suggesting that because of a shift in technology, many aspects of the current law are on the cusp of change. Discussion, exploration, and consideration for the future are important.

4. Snorri February 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm #

first thanks for all the invaluable info you put out there, it is very generous and of invaluable use for those of us starting down the path of pro.

Copyright as an idea must evolve as everything else, and as you say we as photogs must evolve with the flow and and find new ways of making a living in a new era. Of course be vigilant on our rights etc. but also be willing to try new approaches.

Anyway enough rambling, I am still waiting for insiders tips on hardcopy promotions.

Snorri

5. Anonymous February 10, 2008 at 1:38 pm #

Any chance you could meet with Lessig, and share the results of you two guys’ power meeting with us ?? I bet some cool stuff could come out of you gentlemen having a few beers.

6. Anonymous February 12, 2008 at 8:18 am #

GREAT listen. Thanks Jim/Chase!

7. Josh Bobb February 21, 2008 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks, Chase, for all your hard work! Saw you downing a Redbull in the SB2 videos. I don’t know HOW you do all this stuff concurrently. I aspire to be half as prolific as you some day.

Back to the matter at hand…

I’m surprised to not see many people respond to this post, considering the momentous changes in copyright law that we are facing. It’s not a matter of if, but when. To ignore it would be like putting your head in the sand.

Anyhow, a GREAT video/presentation by Larry Lessig at TedTalks is here:

Absolutely worth the watch/listen.

-Josh