Golden Ticket(s) to ASMP Strictly Business 2 – Chicago

Big thanks to everyone who weighed in on my offer for a free trip to ASMP’s Strictly Business 2 conference in Chicago. 500 comments in just a handful of days. The overwhelming support you’ve shown for this post has, in turn, encouraged me to up the ante: I’ve decided to send TWO winners to Chicago instead of just one AND offer two other tuition-only scholarships if some runner ups can take care of their own travel and accommodations. Nowthen, in the spirit of Flight of the Conchords, “It’s business time”:

Each of the photographers below were in the top 10 vote-getters.

First Runner Up (tuition only): Julian Love. Julian is based in London and has received some recognition from National Geographic/PDN and Travel Photographer of the Year, among others. This will help him continue to grow and thrive as a professional.

Second Runner Up (tuition only):
Eric Schmiedl. Eric is a student at MIT. His documentary work of pranks and hacks at MIT was amusing, but his obsession with locks could lead to some interesting product work if he fulfills his wish to earn a living from photography.

Winner (tuition, air, hotel): Brian Larter. Brian received the most nominations by a long shot – many of which were quite impassioned. Lots of people seem to believe in him. I saw a handful of images in his portfolio that showed promise and I was also impressed by his starting Halifax Nova Scotia’s first and only rentable photo studio. Yes Brian lives outside the country, but I’m flying him to Chicago anyway. He’ll probably find Chicago in April to be a hot and sunny getaway from his native, freezing-cold Nova Scotia. I’m sure that this basic photo business education will pay off for him and hopefully he’ll share this knowledge with his community.

Winner (tuition, air, hotel): Darien Chin. Darien is a wonderful mix of talent and passion. IMHO, without any education in the business of photography, Darien would continue to win online photo accolades, but might be dissuaded by the murky waters of becoming a professional. On the other hand, armed with the business of photography basics, I predict he’ll make a resoundingly successful transition to pro. Plus, he’s a wonderful guy. I had the chance to meet him at my Seattle Flickr Roundup event. It’s my hope he’ll bring back the knowledge and share it with that amazing community.

If the above four people would please send an email to rebekah at chase jarvis dot com to make arrangements for your winnings, that would be great.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in this kind of thing and for helping raise awareness about the business of photography. If you haven’t perused the comments from the original post, I highly recommend it – it’s an interesting read. Also, a special thanks to a few of the many blogs that linked to that post:

DIYphotography.net
Photo Business Forum
Epic Edits Weblog
JMG Galleries
Strobist.com

22 Responses to Golden Ticket(s) to ASMP Strictly Business 2 – Chicago

1. simon bartell March 8, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

Congratulations guys! And thank you Chase for giving us all this opportunity, and for being so generous.

2. dreadthis March 8, 2008 at 3:05 pm #

Congrats guys!!

To everyone else, I think if we all want to go after this we should all try our hardest to find a way there. Thats my plan!! If anyone else decides to go maybe we should all get together for drinks afterwards. Take care and congrats to winners once again.

Booker T

3. Greg March 8, 2008 at 4:49 pm #

Congratulations to everyone!
    And Chase, saw there is an article on you in Pro Photo. Congrats there too. Didn’t get to read it yet but will shortly.

4. Eric Schmiedl March 8, 2008 at 6:39 pm #

Holy crap, thank you very much Chase!
    And thank you very much to everyone who weighed in with their support.

5. Eric Schmiedl March 8, 2008 at 7:06 pm #

By the way, I was looking through the portfolios of the other winners (“okay, let’s see this stuff Chase thinks is better than mine” *grin*) and Darien’s work really stood out. One of the things that’s put me off the “Strobist” approach a little is that it’s easy to end up with photos that look like, well, Strobist-style pictures– with too much hard, slightly cold light and a decidedly “editorial” (as opposed to advertising) feel. Darien’s stuff looks just like the stuff you see (minus the $500/hr retouching) from the better photographers amongst the kind who get to a shoot armed with Profotos, nth-degree assistants and grip trucks.

6. Chase Jarvis March 9, 2008 at 9:13 am #

@ eric: I appreciate you giving props to the others in your earlier comment, and I concur with/understand your thoughts about the “Strobist” approach. In response, I’d offer up that portfolios weren only a very small component of the equation for selection. This wasn’t a talent contest (although there was plenty of great talent in the pool – there are lots of contests for that out there in the world…); this really was a just a fun way to give back and an exercise to raise awareness about business in photography for photographers and others in the world (requesting nominations from mentors and moms ;) . Thus, some more important components to this little exercise were: number and quality of recommendations, and my inferred meter on their ability/willingness to share and spread information after they get it. I think everybody who I’ve decided to send will benefit from the trip and will use the info to further their professional development, but they’ll also, in turn, continue to spread the word about what they learned. You’ll notice a pretty wide range in experience here too… Eg: Julian is an award-winning professional, whereas Darien doesn’t even have a website, only a flickr account. That’s no accident. I really aimed to spread the love. Hope that helps clarify for you and anyone else who worked really hard to earn this trip. I truly wish I could give away 50 of these things–I read some great referrals and saw some great pictures.

7. Brian Larter March 9, 2008 at 9:26 am #

Thanks Chase for this opportunity. I am really looking forward to meet your self and others at this conference to bounce ideas off and get feed back on concepts.

@Booker, if you make it let me know, I’d love to sit down for a drink with any of you and see what is going on else where….

8. Adam March 9, 2008 at 10:13 am #

Congrats to Julian, Eric, Brian and Darien! I love the idea Chase, sad I didn’t see it in time, but I will consider going on my own. I am a high school photo teacher and would love to not only learn how to make my own business more profitable, but pass it on to students as well. I wouldn’t have known this existed without checking out the CJB…
    -Adam

9. J|Andra Photography March 9, 2008 at 12:27 pm #

Congrats to the people who won, but I am a little upset by who was chosen. I thought that this contest was supposed to aid and support those who had tremendous talent, but needed help in other areas. By reviewing the chosen photographers, it seems to me that they are just fine by themselves. Furthermore, let me say I am not upset I wasn’t chosen, but I did come across many other photographers whom I thought much more deserved this-not just tons of “votes”. But hey, it is your opinion and your subjectivness.

10. AnthoNYC March 9, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

@ jandra: not to worry dude/ette!! Of course there was tons of talent reading this blog post. It saw over 500 commentts, with who knows how many entries. Not to speak for him, but if I understand The Chaser, he’s equally about giving unlikely photogs a chance as much as promoting a soon to be rockstar. Let’s just feel lucky he’s doing anything at all. It’s about 100 times more than any other pro I can think of, and we should be grateful for that.

11. Eric Schmiedl March 9, 2008 at 2:58 pm #

@ Chase: Yeah, I appreciate that portfolios were a relatively small part in it. (My comment about portfolio quality was strictly a joke.) I’m glad that portfolios played such a small part in it, because mine is evidently in need of a complete overhaul: you have me pegged as a hack/lock photographer when my intent was to come across as a people shooter!

12. Julian Love March 10, 2008 at 1:31 am #

Hi Chase – thanks so much for this, really looking forward to the seminar. Its a great opportunity for me, these kinds of courses just aren’t on offer over here in Europe as far as I am aware. The Association of Photographers (our equivalent of ASMP) offers the occasional evening talk but that’s about it. None offer such a range of experts and experience in one place over 3 days of education. And I will of course be sharing all the goodness with my aspiring photog-friends back here in London.

Eric, Brian & Darien – I’d love to catch up with you guys at the seminar and swap notes and experiences over some beers. Get in touch: you can reach me at julian at adventure photographer dot net (remove the space).

And thanks again to all those who nominated me – you know who you are.

Chase – you are a star. Thanks again.

Julian

13. Tanya Shields Photography March 10, 2008 at 7:04 am #

Dear Chase:

I’m going to pretend your “freezing cold Halifax vs. Chicago” comment ISN’T sarcasm…… and suggest you come for a visit as personal research.

14. Ethan March 10, 2008 at 11:10 am #

Hey, congrats to those who were selected. It was a lot of fun watching the nominations fill up in the comments section. Some really fantastic work represented here. I can’t wait to hear the recaps from those who will be attending.

15. J|Andra Photography March 11, 2008 at 8:20 pm #

Well, if all is true then that does make me feel better about the whole situation. And to second anonthyc “Let’s just feel lucky he’s doing anything at all.”
    It is very giving regardless.

16. Christiane March 12, 2008 at 8:41 am #

Hello Chase,

I am very happy you saw it my way and nominated Darien!! ;-) So, congratulations Darien and everyone else!

One love
    Chrissie

17. chadd March 17, 2008 at 7:42 am #

Congrats!

If you out-of-towners need a guide and translator give me a holler. Ha ha. I live dangerously close to the venue.

If I manage to gather the coin I will definitely attend at the seminar.

Anyone interested in meeting-up to shoot while in Chicago?

18. Brian Larter March 18, 2008 at 6:35 am #

@Cadd having never been to Chicago, how could I turn that down…I would be very interested.

19. Q&A March 30, 2008 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks a Lot for supporting the development of new generation of Image Masters.

My son applied for it, he didn’t win, but learnt that he has to get longer wings, then the wind will help him to be far-flung.

You will OSCAR you are GOOD! you have the vision, the willing and persistence even aginst my desire of a different career for you!

20. Q&A March 30, 2008 at 3:44 pm #

Thanks a Lot for supporting the development of new generation of Image Masters.

21. Julian Love April 15, 2008 at 12:27 pm #

Well, I’m back home after attending SB2 in Chicago and slowly getting over the jet lag!

Thanks Chase for helping me take advantage of such a great opportunity, and it was great to meet all the other photogs – especially the rest of the CJ Inc sponsored crew: Darien, Brian and Eric.

Over the 3 days we learned about developing a marketing plan, effective self promotion, pricing and how to cost a job properly, and negotiation skills – all in all a really great 3 days.

This whole thing has inspired me to start a blog where, among other things, I’ll cover the key points of the SB2 material, so if you’re interested head on over here.

Chase – thanks once again, you’e a star.

Julian

22. sexy muscle man May 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm #

I was pretty pleased to find this page. If you don’t mind May I also reveal a word of advice. Fidning a Personal sexy muscles nude man could possibly be dificult, should you reside in Sourthern California and you need a sexy muscles love firm, mouse click my link.