RWAV_4 REVEALED: Mazama, Washington (Freestone Inn)

Some guesses were getting close-ish, but it seems that I finally stumped you guys on an RWAV. It’s perfect actually. I was starting to think for a while that some of you had a some tracking device planted on me from a scene outta the 80′s dive Tango & Cash.

A far cry from the likes of Paris, NYC, and SoCal, this time the crew and I were nestled at a lodge in the middle of the North Cascade Mountains–technically in Mazama, Washington–which served as a base camp for a commercial shoot involving helicopter-accessed ski and snowboard images. Not a bad gig. Special shout out to North Cascade Heli for their support. And thanks to everyone for playing.

BTW, I love the woods.

Here are some behind-the-scenes snapshots from the trip:

We dubbed this shoot “light and fast”. Here’s the crew. Less people, but lots of stuff. En route to North Cascades Heli.

Truth: Nate the snowboard model took a deep swig out of our bottle of grenadine. His defense was, “I thought it was some cool new fruit juice or something.” Question: why did we have grenadine with us in the first place?

Further debunking the “only hipster Paris, NY, LA” syndrome that is completely untrue about professional ad photography, here we are literally engulfing the one pizza place in town. Our small crew filled East 20 Pizza. Ryan, the proprietor took great care of us, especially kind of him to stay open on account of our late asses. It was super sweet – check out this joint if you’re ever in Winthrop, Washington.

Kate and Mario polishing off some ice cream. Cinder blocks watching from behind.

Some crew prepping for the morning’s first heli out…

Guide Jeff surveys an LZ (landing zone). Quite likely I’m frightened at this moment.

Self portrait, preparing to drop into the slope below.

Last heli drop on one of the days. Canon G9 nails the exposure on Program mode.

Guides throw rock-paper-scissors to see who gets to take one extra “bump” for fun.

Final heli drop, final day. Can’t wait to get back to the North Cascades.

Now, since there are no community urls to share this time around, if anybody is still with me here at the bottom of this post and/or are at all interested in these snap-shot-y documentations of our shoots, I’ll invite you to check out a recent addition to this blog’s behind the scenes stuff: We’ve started a Flickr pool called Chase Jarvis Crew Shots. We’ll be uploading to this constantly – outtakes from my camera, our personal point and shoot’s, whatever. Be prepared: it’s almost entirely un-edited. But then again, for this kind of stuff, that’s pretty much the point.

19 Responses to RWAV_4 REVEALED: Mazama, Washington (Freestone Inn)

1. n1x0n March 20, 2008 at 2:00 am #

Paris and NY can’t make me envious, but mountains covered in snow and heli-skiing… hope you had great time there!

2. Remi March 20, 2008 at 6:33 am #

congrats! the score is now 3 to 1 for us :)
    the flickr pool is now in my bookmarks and will certainly continue to make me wish that when I grow up, I’m gonna be Chase Jarvis :P

just an idea : I guess it will be unprobable for legal issues or because of the time needed to produce the final images, but it would be nice to see the result of those shooting

3. Jacob March 20, 2008 at 8:01 am #

How many pounds of camera gear do you typically ski with, Chase? Nothing will make you a better skier than schlepping a heavy pack around. Just make sure you stay out of the backseat :)

Looks like a pretty cool gig/paid heli ski trip (I know you were working, but still…. :)

Jacob

4. - Braun March 20, 2008 at 8:55 am #

Pretty Rad Guys,

Did you guys do any POV shots? I’m with Remi with wanting to see some of these finals.

Thanks for the Shots of flickr. Come to Dallas already!….we have the cowboys and the best looking women anywhere. ha. Keep shooting.

-Braun

5. Rick Lohre | Photography March 20, 2008 at 9:21 am #

Dude, lovin your posts. Recent fan from your “appearance” on a podcast I listened to. (new podcast addiction to fill my driving time – Lightsource).
    Anyhow, Chase, you rock man. Keep em comin’ and I’m checkin’ out the new flickr pool.
    I wanna be Esahc Sivraj when I grow young!

6. ChancePhoto March 20, 2008 at 10:13 am #

Chase: I see other people here want to see the shots from the shoot. I suspect you can’t show those yet, but wanted to let you know that I’m not in that camp. I want to see more of these behind the scenes snapshots.If I want to see your polished shots, I’ll look at your website or read magazines or gaze at billboards that I know you’ve shot. Instead, I want behind the scenes. Your lack of pretense and willingness to share these (realtively) unedited pictures of your travels and processes and everything are truly inspiring to me and my group of photographer friends here in LA. The Flickr pool will be a regular stop on my dial.

I also commend you on the variety you put out here on your blog. I can get intellectually challenged, learn something, get inspired, and laugh out loud all in one day’s read.

Plus, our names are pretty close to one another in spelling. I have a hope that someday somebody will mix us up – entirely to my benefit!

Word.

7. mstrubbe March 20, 2008 at 10:49 am #

Why grenadine? To make super-sized Shirley Temples, of course.

8. JB March 20, 2008 at 11:37 am #

Very cool! Thanks for adding those photos on Flickr, its nice to see what goes on besides the results

9. Anonymous March 20, 2008 at 11:58 am #

I have two thoughts. One, East 20 Pizza rulz. Had a beer and some za there earlier this winter. It’s so small it almost feels like self serve. The distance between the oven and the front door is about 6 feet if I remember. Two, that terrain you’re about to ski in your self portrait looks terrifyingly steep! I’m sticking to the flat stuff.

10. Snorri Gunnarsson March 20, 2008 at 5:41 pm #

Thanks for sharing Chase, fun to see behind the scenes shots, what a cool assignment

Cheers

Snorri

11. Jake March 20, 2008 at 9:25 pm #

I’d say that the tequila sunrise is the best reason that you had grenadine along with you, but in case you think otherwise, check here: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-some-drinks-made-with-grenadine.htm

In any case, I’m digging the rugged, northwest exposure as opposed to the chic, NY persona, but it’s great to know you can manage in any situation.

Thanks for the engaging read! I was going to guess Steven’s Pass….

12. StepToTheMic March 20, 2008 at 10:01 pm #

This blog is like crack. The more I smoke, the more I want. I could have said something more intelligent, but then it would have been censored….

Which, ironically, is what I love about the uncensored nature of this series of posts. The culture, the how to, the “black box”, its all good. But these pics are for real. For real. I must confess, I didn’t expect ot see pictures of chase getting his head shaved in the flickr pool, but that’s what kicks ass about this. Hard to pull this shit off and look good doing it. A few bloggers could take a lesson from you. We all owe you one.

13. NikitaKeenan April 6, 2008 at 10:47 am #

Want free Google AdSense? Visit my blogs!

14. Tyler May 30, 2008 at 6:36 am #

I stumbled on your page looking on Google for a blog about Mazama, amazing place huh! Anyway, I then looked at your portfolio and projects, those pictures are amazing. I love the Stevens Pass project, that is my home mountain. Seriously though, your pictures are so awesome. I love photography, how can I learn to take cool pictures like that?

15. gamefly March 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

I and also my buddies ended up digesting the best hints found on the website then suddenly developed an awful feeling I never thanked you for those tips. The young men had been consequently warmed to learn them and have now surely been tapping into those things. Thank you for genuinely simply kind and also for having this sort of awesome subject areas most people are really desperate to be aware of. My sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

16. Carroll B. Meriman November 21, 2012 at 4:36 am #

Hi there! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice information you might have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

17. Rudy Valeriani December 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

18. Joe Avers January 7, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

I just originate this incredible blog post and I essential declare to you thank you very|extremely much for giving this one to us.

19. Donny Nicklow January 9, 2013 at 5:08 am #

Thanks on behalf of these pointers. Lone gadget I should also have faith in is that credit cards philanthropic a 0% rate of interest time and again inveigle regulars in with zero monthly leisure activity, split second permission and relaxed internet assess transfers, nonetheless beware of the real thing that may void that 0% straightforward lane yearly percentage rate plus fling anybody outdated into the terrible studio rapid.