Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_5

Okay. Here’s another stumper of an RWAV for you uber-detectives out there. You know the game. I bet I’ve got you on this one.

Here’s a hint: west coast.

Don’t forget to include your url if you think you’re onto me, and I’ll send some shout outs to whomever can drop the pin closest to me – maybe even the top few. Probably have a pretty quick turn around on this one, since I’ve got a lot of content stacking up, so get on it!
–Read about RWAV after the jump – click the ‘continue reading’ link below …

…if you’re not familiar with this series highlighting some of my time on the road, see other Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW‘s, below. Behind the scenes snapshot to follow when I reveal the locale:

[Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW]
[RWAW REVEALED: Paris, Rue Birague]
[Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_2]
[RWAW REVEALED_2: Palm Springs, CA (Viceroy Hotel)]
[Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_3]
[RWAW REVEALED_3: New York City (Hudson Hotel)]
[Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_4]
[RWAV_4 REVEALED: Mazama, Washington (Freestone Inn)]

[Depending on your RSS reader, you may need to go here for the photo.]

44 Responses to Chase Jarvis: ROOM WITH(OUT) A VIEW_5

1. Wade April 16, 2008 at 12:12 am #

Its got to be California – say southern CA between San Diego and the border.

The palm trees, the US model SUVs…

2. DanCarr April 16, 2008 at 12:14 am #

Perth?

3. Eric Schmiedl April 16, 2008 at 12:40 am #

I’d put it more around Long Beach, maybe around Laguna Beach.

4. Anonymous April 16, 2008 at 12:40 am #

Nah, Dubai. :)

5. xavier April 16, 2008 at 4:32 am #

reminds me of a place i went on vacation, between zuma and malibu beach…

6. Rick Lohre | Photography April 16, 2008 at 6:26 am #

Sunset Beach?

7. bmillios April 16, 2008 at 6:28 am #

Santa Cruz.

8. Remi April 16, 2008 at 6:57 am #

Chile

9. Rafael Ibáñez April 16, 2008 at 7:21 am #

I will say is almost noon, because of the shadows. Should be in the US, because of the cars. When looking the fence on the beach could be somwhere with brave and cold ocean, but lots of sun. I will say Eureka, CA.

10. Anne April 16, 2008 at 7:21 am #

Well, since we know you were teaching “The Anatomy of a Commercial Shoot” at the Gulf Photo Plus in Dubai (http://www.gulfphotoplus.com) and that they recommend the Express by Holiday Inn Dubai-Internet City, I’m going to venture that’s where you stayed. :-)

11. Carson Blume April 16, 2008 at 8:29 am #

I just don’t know, it looks really familiar, like I have been there before.

12. Black English April 16, 2008 at 11:00 am #

Huntington Beach, Ca for a surf shoot…..

13. Frank April 16, 2008 at 11:19 am #

cannon beach, OR

14. dreadthis April 16, 2008 at 11:34 am #

I’m going to have to say Santa Barbara, CA

15. Dov April 16, 2008 at 11:47 am #

You already gave it away Chase: I’m going with San Diego.. thanks to you :-)
    Last time i was there, I stayed at tower 23 (http://www.tower23hotel.com/). However, your location doesn’t look that swank :-(
    I can’t pin point the exact location. But I have two close guesses:
    Southern SD- Imperial Beach.
    OR
    North in La Jolla near Torrey Pines Golf Course.

-dov

16. BJP April 16, 2008 at 12:09 pm #

I’m sure this is cheating being that my sister works for you, but I’m going to have guess…well never mind I don’t want to cheat, but did you ever watch that boxer on tv, you know oscar de la hoya…yeah he’s pretty good.

b

17. BJP April 16, 2008 at 12:12 pm #

oh yeah:

check it

18. Richard Cave LBPPA April 16, 2008 at 1:43 pm #

Well it aint skeggie, us brits know where that is, I reckon Carmel but I am thinking Ascension Island

19. Scott Kennedy April 16, 2008 at 2:06 pm #

my vote is Baja or possibly San Diego…
    nice spot…

cheers,
    Scott Kennedy

20. Jim Goldstein April 16, 2008 at 2:26 pm #

I’m going to have to go with La Jolla, San Diego. The Palm Trees are very SoCal and the coast doesn’t look rocky enough to be central California.

Jim
    JMG-Galleries.com

21. Anonymous April 16, 2008 at 2:42 pm #

if its westcoast the shadows tell its northern hemnisphere.
    looks rather warm though for spring.
    I’d go with Marocco.

22. Anonymous April 16, 2008 at 3:14 pm #

I am thinking that your tech guy–what’s his name–Dartanyon? must have CGI’d the whole picture, and somehow used the “west coast” of his brain to do it. I’m calling it a fake.

J

23. DLV April 16, 2008 at 5:37 pm #

North of Encinitas aka N San Diego County

24. holder April 16, 2008 at 7:38 pm #

carlsbad or o-side…

25. Matt Brandon April 16, 2008 at 9:19 pm #

I don’t understand all this “look at the cars. It has to be in the US.” They have these cars all over the world. I looked for the plates, but can’t see them. I can’t tell which side drive it is either. I also think you said the West Coast, just to through us off and have everyone say some location in CA. So, I am going with Dubai, as was stated, above. But, the only hotel I know of on the beach as it were is the Burj Al Arab hotel. I don’t think it is that one but I don’t have a better guess.

26. Adam Kaplan April 16, 2008 at 9:59 pm #

I’m going to go with Dubai on this one.

27. August Kryger April 17, 2008 at 7:31 am #

I’m going to go with Dubai as well. Most likely in the Express by Holiday Inn Dubai-Internet City. Not just because you’re teaching there, however. Given the metadata on your camera is correct (which I am certain you keep it that way) you shot this photo yesterday at “1:11:16 A.M.” Now I know Seattle is not that sunny any time of the day, let alone at 1 a.m. So, the only two places it could be close to noon (judged by the cast of the shadows) are Dubai and Moscow. I don’t believe Moscow has scenic vistas of the ocean. So, it’s got to be Dubai.

So, there you have it.

flickr.com/photos/hawkryger

28. Taylor Jones April 17, 2008 at 7:46 am #

I’d say somewhere off of Sunset Cliffs Blvd. close to San Diego. I’m noticing the fencing.

29. Rick April 17, 2008 at 10:15 am #

Carlsbad California for sure….

30. perttu April 17, 2008 at 11:31 am #

I’m going with a wild guess: Lisbon, Portugal!

31. red April 17, 2008 at 2:08 pm #

Guys, the Dubai Gulf Photo Plus event doesn’t start before the end of the month. :)

Do I get a cookie for guessing where you were NOT? I can’t guess where you were. :)

Here, watch me yo-yo. No, it’s not photo related. :)

32. jay April 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm #

i am torn between south of swamis in encinitas and north of ponto in carlsbad.

33. holder April 17, 2008 at 4:54 pm #

not south of swamis… cardiff and north…

dude, chase you gotta eat brkfst at pipes, get the big brkfst and have kate get the french toast, yum.

i’m packing up for an all nighter, not gunna be fun.

34. Nadine Toukan April 18, 2008 at 4:52 am #

san diego

35. Anonymous April 18, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

I’m going to guess Dubai as well, however I don’t think it’s the Express by Holiday Inn (the hotel I will be stopping at) as I believe that’s further away from the beach than this photo would prove.

The reason you’d be over there early, even though the event itself doesn’t start until next week is to arrange the locations, times, dates and models that we are going to use on the “Prep. Shoot. Wrap!” course (that I’m so excited about!).

We’ve also just had a mailshot from one of the organisers telling us that you’ve requested we wear suitable clothing for the shoots and that due to the heat we may be up super early (5am). At a guess I might say that since you’ve been over there you have realised just how warm it gets and that people should be forewarned…thus requiring a mailshot and not being already written in to the course itinerary.

Or I could be totally wrong!

Either way, I look forward to that beer Chase!

All the best,

Adam Swords.

36. perttu April 18, 2008 at 3:12 pm #

I’ll make another guess, dunno if it’s just one guess for each in the rules. But anyways, i think you’re not in California, you are in Florida’s west coast! :D Tampa or something.

37. Ryan Allan Photography April 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

Looks kind of like San Clemente just before Dana Point.

38. Shella Servatius October 27, 2010 at 9:31 am #

Interesting. Been trying to learn a different language for a while so this is extremely relevant! Thanks.

39. Will May 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

I’m going to guess Palm Springs, USA?

flickr.com/photos/williampeters

haha

40. Nathanael Fullwood September 22, 2014 at 2:52 am #

I really like to receive letters with U.S. commemorative stamps on them; I collect these. How are your letters stampedor are they metered (yech)?

41. redeemyourdream.com September 23, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4 emails using the same comment. Is there any way you may take away me from that service? Thanks!

42. Hotels.com coupons September 24, 2014 at 5:01 am #

Snapdeal coupon page is the best coupon available for snapdeal

43. Garrett October 15, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

It’s truly veery dificult iin this busy life to listen neews
    on Television, theerefore I onl use web forr that reason, aand geet thee hottest
    news.

44. Reina October 15, 2014 at 2:58 pm #

Wow! Thiss blog looks just like my old one! It’s onn
    a entiirely different subject but it has pretty much the swme
    page layouut and design. Excllent choice off colors!