Art and Mischief

If you’re a high-falutin’ artist or a photo-geek and you’re up for some mischief, consider making this flash canon called “The Fulgerator” to mess with the photos of others… Click continue reading for a video of the sophisticated prank in action and a link to the original post.

Apparently, it’s adapted from a flash and an old SLR, it senses the flash of someone’s camera, and then quickly illuminates itself, projecting images or text onto the object that is being snapped by the other unsuspecting photographer:

[Update: Wired Mag blog picked this up and did a nice job with the details. Let’s hope the guy gets rich!]

[Thanks James, via the great post at Gizmodo]

Jacob Gibb says:

That’s it. I’m growing a beard.

Adam says:

Thanks for the idea, I will definitely be doing this with my high school classes in the fall. Now I have a use for my old Pentax K1000’s!

Air fare to Berlin &1500
Hotel in Berlin $150 a night
New point and shoot digital camera $375
Having the photo-memories of the 2 week vacation you get off from your carp job ruined by some guy with a bad beard… priceless

Then, I can see some corporation picking up on the idea and installing a giant one of these at every tourist location in the world… imagine Yosemite’s El Capitan with a half mile high “enjoy CocaCola”.

Repent, the end is near.

So, will museums and other places where you are not aloud to take pictures with a flash going to pick up one of these (or even make one). Then the message could read “Please don’t use your flash.”

Great and fun idea!!

Keith McAdams says:

Hi there! I just wanted to tell you about this submission to JPG Magazine that I have. Check it out! Please vote!. you may have to creat an account to vote but its short and very sweet lol you will see what i mean.

brad says:

What this idea is just dying for:
“All your base are belong to us.”

Juan says:

Very smart. In the movie industry, we actually call it a gobo, and it’s as old as the industry itself. The idea to use a camera as a projector, with the gobo (or pattern) being placed on the focal plane, though, is very smart since it will allow the user to keep a low-profile even in crowded places.

The pistol grip is only a fancy gimmick.

Chase, I guess I could build one for you, if you want. I’m going to Paris mid-July.

You’ll want a Nikon F mount, I guess? I think I still have a Nikon F80 which would be great for this, since I abused it and now the back is bent and scratches the film. The SB800 already have the SU-4 built-in, so it will be even easier to handle, and would even take advantage of the i-TTL.

There are other ways to get the same result, but using an interchangeable lens slr is the most convenient to be able to beam the light.

Go to my website, and follow the contact link if you’re interested.

That’s cool and quite impressive. I must admit that it can only come out from a bright mind, but I would call it “art” if it don’t harm anyone. Could you imagine this happening in the middle of a commercial photo shooting?. Even if you could repeat the photo again, every picture is unique and this guy has created an artistic interpretation by ruining and sabotaging the artistic view of someone else (even if is a simple snapshot of your girlfriend o boyfriend).
Do firemen step on others firemen hose?

okay I would love to use this in a press conference .

Alvaro MAM says:

This is really fun, like one of those classic pranks from early geeks/hackers, but as Chase noted this is only possible because of the digital photography age, imagine if you would find out after developing your roll, prank ruined and also it is because of the digital age that we get to enjoy the prank or even open a discussion on its artistic connotations.

Richard Cave says:

I want banksy to read this as i know he could do some awesome stuff with it.

Rich

mind you the guy doing this considers himself an urban terrorist. Anyone using a terrorist organisation symbol as his identity just proves what a muppet he is.

If he popped up im my location his fulgarator will topple over in the wind. His beard would probably catch fire mysteriously.

I like banksy as his art does not harm others art, the social comments banksy has are useful benchmark on the views of society at that moment in time.

This bearded muppet has annoyed me.

awesome, what the people have in their minds to invent – wow…and moreover the fulgurator looks damn good ;o)

James says:

hey man,

contact the young german guy – he could probably use the dough.

glad you liked the link enough to post it. it’s crafty. Of course the strobist jumped on it too – gotta love gizmodo.

James

Chase Jarvis says:

Had no idea the David and I both jumped on this today – cool. props to Gizmodo and the handful of photogs who sent us this link! It’s so popular it MUST be cool ;)

(I gotta get me one, actually. Anybody out there wanna make one if’n I pay for it ?)

Anonymous says:

I would love it if my images were “hacked” like this! What a funny discovery.

Perhaps Chase and Co can buy/get one of these light canons?

Rafael says:

OOo Come on! You and David are bloggin togheter now?! haha

Darien Chin says:

that was insanely awesome..

Chase Jarvis says:

Chase agree-eth. The tomfoolery is fun, but the comments that the art is making are quite impressive as well…undermining conventional assumptions about photography and “reality”. There’s also an extra layer of goodness here in a digital age, and that’s when people pause to chimp the back of their cameras and they see this writing on their cameras, they are immediately thrown into curiosity, confusion, even disbelief, at that exact moment.

Jake says:

Saw that on Giz early this morning…good stuff. Though I don’t suspect the mischievous “artist” would make it far in the States, given that the device looks more like a gun than a camera. Likely to be taken out by over-suspicious citizen-arrest types, IMHO!

Think of the possibilities!!!

You could seriously ruin the day for loads of paparazzi!

For some reason though I can’t help wanting to use if for putting inappropriate words behind family portraits! haha

Anonymous says:

So ricklohre goes one way with the idea as sabotage, I’ll go the other way – that it’s actually some pretty good art.

Imagine, it’s challenging our perceptions of “reality” quite strongly.

What ye philosopher of art Chase sayeth?

ricklohre says:

OK now that’s some good fun!!
Soo wrong but really good fun.

What would you do if someone sat there and “gangked” one of your commercial gigs!

Ultimate conspiracy! That’s just wrong.

I would never condone the use of such a device…Hmm…where’d you say your next shoot was?

LOL

teddybear says:

Holy smokes is that a tight photo of that dudes photo canon!