POV Photography On Steroids

For a long time, I’ve been a playful advocate of POV (Point-Of-View) photography. Years and years ago, I did this with my custom POV rig:

Hell, we all did it.

Then, it got more complicated. I was having fun and I sync’d my camera with a camera strapped to the athlete, so you’d get one moment from two perspectives. I have a ton of these, but generally the result is pretty interesting and looks this:

Then, after doing that commercially for a few folks, I tried to share what I had learned and released this video called Chase Jarvis TECH: POV Photography to illustrate all the parts and pieces, concepts, how to fire a remote camera, etc.

Now, sure, it’s been big in movies and photography for a good long spell, but if you’re interested to find out from Nike just how far POV has really come, click ‘continue reading’ below…

Let’s just say it’s come a LONG way… Imagine how long this would take to make!? Brilliant piece of art from a technical perspective (for us photo/director geeks) Brilliant advertising piece as well. For those of us who grew up playing soccer there’s a great emotional tug here and for those who didn’t – it’s just plain cool.

Leopoldo says:

I mentioned in my Rebbeca Van Dyck article, I headed over into the new Facebook campus to photograph CSO (Chief Security Officer) Joe

Hildman says:

Everything is very open with a really clear description of the challenges. It was truly informative. Your website is extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing!

This post is in fact a nice one it helps new web people, who are wishing for blogging.

Well written article, very helpful.

yiding says:

it’s so cool, i like it ,but i’m afraid that i can’t do this well~

Hello,

I am glad to have found this blog. I have been looking around for hours trying to find this data. Keep up the good work! Also I admire the overall look and feel of your blog. I have bookmarked you, and will be in touch. Keep it up!

Bendo66 says:

I was in awe when this commercial first aired, especially being an Arsenal fan. It was very inspirational and got the creative juices flowing.
Go Gunners!
There are a few different versions floating around.

Love that video, seen it many times on the TV and it’s unique in it’s look, wonder when it’s being canabilised.

Anonymous says:

Its weird how so many photographer who are great in other areas fail to take good snowboarding images.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ Adam: D2X and 10.5 fisheye was on the athletes for the POV.

Mike says:

Hello, just thought I would drop a line to ask you to check the iTunes podcast feed – I keep getting the message “Authorization is needed to access “http://appletv.s3.amazonaws.com/……. Shorts_Pimped….”

To give credit where credit is due not only is the POV aspect of this great, but the editing is top notch. Editors needs some love too. Great find Chase!

Fantastic video!. As you said Chase, very emotional as I also grew up playing soc…err football. I can’t keep my eyes off from the video. The only thing I don’t like is seeing Arsenal been beaten by Manchester United .
Hope tomorrow Spain wins the Eurocup and one goal comes from Cesc Fabregas. It will be a perfect birthday for me.
A POR ELLOS!!

Richard Cave says:

I am sorry for being a bit naughty ( hey I am a photographer we are always in trouble!)

I have just posted on my blog a really cool online slideshow service. It is called animoto, on my blog there is a small youtube video created by it and it took five minutes to do rather than a hour in proshow gold.

Sorry Chase I lost your direct email and I am so excited by this service I just wanted to share it with everybody.

Cheers

Rich

I wanted you guys to see it before google/aol/big corporation buys it up,

Adam says:

Just curious on the mountain bike shot, did you have a big D2X and zoom on this guy or smaller camera and wide angle prime? I do a lot of mountain stuff and am starting to experiment with this type of thing. Thanks!

That’s awesome. The throwing up after running the stairs hits home. The whole sequence feels a bit surreal, but not in a fake way–more like the way you perceive the world when you’re running on adrenaline.

Darien Chin says:

hahaa…I loved when Ronaldinho tore those guys up..

Tuffer says:

Thats very cool. I like how complex a story they got into the commercial. it was like a roller coaster ride… hmmm… roller coaster ride and POV… now I have to find a way to make that not cliche.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ zeke – yeah, I heard it was btwn me and Guy Ritchie who got this job (kidding). I’d heard it was done by him. If you look at our ‘staff’ page, we’re big fans of his round here…

Chase Jarvis says:

@ Richard: good question. I actually have “lost” one camera body and one lens to this technique during a bad crash by an athlete… But that’s what insurance is for, right ? ;)

zeke smith says:

Apparently these were directed by Guy Ritchie, who did “Lock,Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels” and “Snatch.” One of those commercials that makes everyone in the room totally quiet when it comes on – one of the best comments you can have, really.

And as a half-Dutch kid who grew up abroad, it made my heart beat a little faster when they had the Oranje there for the last part. Just awesome.

Alvaro MAM says:

Funny when I saw the commercial on TV I instantly thought about your work and the PoV video, inspiring stuff no doubt, just this weekend I was going to try my aim at PoV shoots.

Richard Cave says:

Just interested to know how many cameras you have lost this way?

Plus I have noticed subtly that you are footy mad..

Rich

Tyson says:

Awesome video! Have you seen the new immersive 360 POV stuff?

Crap that’s a great video. It reminded me instantly of Prodigy’s controversial “Smack My Bitch Up” video. But better.

Marcel says:

wow, this is pretty cool and perfect idea..I want to try it, any idea how to do this technically?

Keith P says:

Thanks for more great stuff. Your original POV movie inspired me to try some stuff.

Alvaro says:

Chase, check it out POV scenes of “strange days” movie, they’re brilliant too and btw final credits have very nice aesthetics combining b&w; photos with deep forest music.

Jake says:

oh man, i’m so pumped up!!

WhileEcayote

check out this: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/06/remotely-on-topic-how-to-pw-second.html

————–

the idea for a POV football ad is really great! To me it looks a bit like a pc/video game add.. should have done more cam shaking :))

WhileEcayote says:

I love the Nike piece, but I’m dying to know more about how you shot both your camera and the camera on the athlete at the same time. What a freaking awesome idea. And that was “years” ago?! Sheeeeyit, that is very cool.

Leave it to the Chase-man…