RWAV_6 REVEALED: Dubai, NYC, Tokyo

Tokyo. Enjoy my stay with this cap? Wha?

Well, well, well. The detectives amongst us continue to blow the doors of the Room With(Out) A View series. Indeed, the most recent RWAV “trifecta” was tougher than most, but the correct answers rolled in… You correctly guessed: Dubai‘s not-so-fancy Holiday Inn Express was the photo out the window facing the sandy parking lot; NYC was the Soho Grand facing the building under construction; and that shot out the wire-glass window was from the Ginza district in the quaint little village you may have heard of called Tokyo.

Lots more photos, links to the winners, a video of The Jackanory after one too many, and plenty of other behind the scenes snapshots from my time on the road after the jump – click the ‘continue reading’ link below …

This is the Dubai airport at 2am. Crazy busy. Crazy place.

Some of the crew from Dubai present in this photo: Joe McNally, Drew Gardner, Robin Nichols, Manus van Dyk, Peter Burian, Charlie Borland, a sliver of Bobbi Lane, Kate, Scott, and of course, the Strobist – Mr. David Hobby.

Speaking of my good friend Strobist – he’s just freakin’ everywhere! Here pictured (in Dubai) is one of his private vans. Szabist is the Arabic pronunciation of Strobist… There’s another one just behind this one on the left. He had a whole fleet of them all logo’d up just for the GPP event.

Here’s a quick grab of my group from the Prep. Shoot. Wrap! gig. You guys were amazing!

Teamwork.

Pals Michael Costuros and Evan Nisselson at a NYPH afterparty. Rooftop deck with amazing view of Manhattan courtesy of the legendary David Allan Harvey.

Finally got to meet up with the wise and inimitable Herr Colberg from Conscientious.

Found it a mild pain in the ass that Christina Aguilera was staying at the same hotel as I was this week. Paparazzi everywhere, everyday. Argh.

Before the rain began in Tokyo.

During the rain in Tokyo.

And finally, the toilet controls in Tokyo equal those on the Millennium Falcon.

And finally – this is the treat. Thanks for sticking with me. Since you made it all the way down here, do yourself a favor and check out the photography of some of the folks who pinpointed my location. There is some nice stuff in here from Tim Kemple, James Jones, and Nicholas Critelli. Go visit their sites. Grow the photography industry. They’re the same people who’ll visit yours in the next RWAV.

And very lastly, a reminder if you’re at all interested in these snap-shot-y documentations of our travels and shoots, I’ll invite you to check out a recent addition to this blog’s behind the scenes stuff: Our Flickr pool called Chase Jarvis Crew Shots. We’ll be uploading to this constantly – outtakes from my camera, our personal point and shoot’s, whatever.

27 Responses to RWAV_6 REVEALED: Dubai, NYC, Tokyo

1. Rob June 10, 2008 at 3:16 am #

Hey!
    Where is the promised HDR fancy pants image of the Prep. Shoot. Wrap! gang?
    Guess Scott must be busy with some real work.

2. Alvaro June 10, 2008 at 4:44 am #

just curious…

what is the real-world difference between “spray” and “bidet” functions of wc? :D

3. Adam Swords June 10, 2008 at 5:33 am #

Good to see our group shot up Chase. I forgot about your crazy timed dashes to get in the frame..haha!

4. David June 10, 2008 at 6:19 am #

Yeah, I hate it when Christina Aguilera stays in my hotel, too. Thanks for just showing the Strobist van in Dubai. Showing the Lambo would have been over crass…

-DH

5. _emile_ June 10, 2008 at 7:44 am #

Hey thats funny, I had Christina Aguilera staying in my hotel ROOM the other night.

6. James Jones June 10, 2008 at 7:54 am #

This game is so damn hard I never thought I’d win this one. Well thanks for the “Chase bump” in the web numbers. Much love from this fledgling photographer to your crew.

James

7. Tony June 10, 2008 at 8:33 am #

Dubai is increasingly a spot to shoot, cool

8. Gary June 10, 2008 at 11:54 am #

Even though Ms. Aguilera was staying in your hotel, those spacious rooms at the Soho Grand should have made up for it, right?

9. Tyson June 10, 2008 at 12:52 pm #

Heh, I’ve taken that same toilet photo :) They truly are amazing…

10. Richard Cave June 10, 2008 at 2:36 pm #

I have noticed that the controls for the bidet are similar to the new Nikon D4 just dont set the aperture to 2.8 and make sure the shutter speed is correct just warning you!!

Thanks for sharing the love to other photographers, with the comp

That damn David Hobby and his fleet of vans, Bet they are remoted as well,

As for Christina Aguilera being in your hotel, if you bump into her again can you ask for my slippers back, I left them under her bed………..LOL

Awaiting RWAV 7

Rich

11. eliran June 10, 2008 at 3:21 pm #

Hey
    I don’t get it!
    Chase Jarvis is in the hotel,
    and the paparazzis are shooting Christina?
    What a disgrace…
    Whatever!
    Good Day!

12. Saxi June 11, 2008 at 1:58 am #

nice story and action – always a pleasure to see, what’s going on ;o) i like the idea with the crewshots very much – thanks for sharing ;o)

13. Nicholas June 11, 2008 at 4:05 pm #

Basking in the warmth of the CJ website traffic bump-looking forward to the next RWAV…

14. ricklohre June 12, 2008 at 8:10 am #

So here’s a question Chase…
    Have you ever had anyone that you “piped traffic to” have their site blow up? No seriously, just the sheer number of peeps that drop in here and follow links is large, let alone when you send them someplace.
    I’d just be curious…
    Tim – Some SICK shots man! Nice work. James, Nicholas…looking forward to perusing your sites as well…

15. Chase Jarvis June 12, 2008 at 9:17 am #

richlohre: I’ve been told this game has swamped a few photogs sites, but ultimately everyone has been really psyched and thankful…nothing that they can’t recover from if they’re nice to their ISP ;) Ultimately it’s a win win win. We get a spirited competition, they get thousands of visitors, and the visitors get exposure to new work. All around fun way to incrementally grow the industry.

16. zwinks June 12, 2008 at 11:20 pm #

awesome!!

17. Ken Mott June 13, 2008 at 10:13 am #

Sort of an off topic comment. But wanted to share.

Chase Jarvis shirt out in action.

18. Ken Mott June 13, 2008 at 10:14 am #

This should work better

19. ricklohre June 14, 2008 at 8:51 pm #

Absolutely. I just wondered how much traffic it was and if it was ever so much as to “blow up” a site. Not as if it were a bad thing at all! LOL
    I agree it’s an awesome format for collaboration. I know I’ve found quite a bit of inspiration by those sites featured on your blog.
    I think it’s great what you’re doing for the community of photogs.
    Keep it up man!
    Peace,
    Rick

20. Adham June 19, 2008 at 4:03 am #

Nice to see this picture Chase, it was fun and good experience.

21. January Guiles March 21, 2012 at 3:53 am #

The bald eagle……a true symbol of the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

22. Winnie Mathus December 23, 2012 at 1:05 am #

I read this post fully regarding the comparison of hottest and previous technologies, it’s awesome article.

23. Allison Stangle January 6, 2013 at 9:42 am #

What’s in the lead to each one, it’s genuinely a sunny on behalf of me to visit this web position, it consists of weighty Information.

24. Miguel Lemich February 12, 2013 at 7:35 am #

That was clever. I’ll live stopping back.

25. Steven Amboree May 15, 2014 at 10:56 pm #

Welcome Steinbach! We are so energized to welcome you for the Fruit Share friends and family we all know you happen to be going to like it!

26. Rutana October 19, 2014 at 10:41 am #

Hey there, You’ve performed a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this site.

1. [GPP 2011] Le Golf Photo Plus de Dubai !- Blog Photo et Vidéo HDSLR // Obturations.com par Merwen BA - March 5, 2011

[...] 2009 et 2010 les photographes les plus connus de la planète [web] ont également participé comme Chase Jarvis, David Hobby de Strobist, Joe Mcnally et ceux cités au [...]