Fad? How About A Superfad.

What’s bigger and better than a fad? How bout a Superfad.

Superfad is a brand-driven design and live action production company based in Seattle, LA, NYC, and London. I recently had the opportunity to work with these guys, and it was dreamy. [Disclosure: we've become friends!] Unlike so many motion houses with a design bent, they are totally committed to creativity.

Anyway, on the heels of my post from a while ago, Photographer As Director, I’ve got an impulse keep the discussion about moving-pictures alive.

This motion piece of theirs for PS3 is insanely creative:

3 more of their pieces (for Pioneer, Target, X-Games) including some of the best live action (director speak for real moving pictures shot with a moving picture camera) integrated with graphics I’ve seen to date after the jump. Click the ‘continue reading’ link below …

Depending on your RSS reader, you may need to click here to see the videos.

20 Responses to Fad? How About A Superfad.

1. Adam Swords July 10, 2008 at 9:25 am #

I don’t know about Superfad, but that’s Supercool. I have so much respect for those guys who can put together moving images in that way. It’s probably because I am 110% oblivious to how it’s done, but I knows what I likes and I likes that a lot!

2. Nicholas July 10, 2008 at 9:26 am #

Sweet holy Moses…their work is incredible!

The PS3 and Pioneer ads are sick-super slick stuff.

Seeing graphics like these is great inspiration for further pushing of the envelope-thanks so much for sharing!

Cheers,

Nicholas

Nicholas Critelli Photography
    500WBulb : Blog

3. Sarah Rhoads July 10, 2008 at 9:50 am #

Dude one of our closest friends, a groomsmen in our wedding, Will, works for Superfad in CA and was the creative genious behind the PS3 ad. Those kids rock over there.

4. Ian July 10, 2008 at 10:18 am #

I shot productions stills for a print campaign piggybacking on an ad series Superfad was shooting in their soundstage and instead of the uptight LA DPs that you hear yelling at lighting guys and PA’s… towards the end of the shoot the DP had grabbed kitchen utensils from craft services and was banging and yelling for more cowbell to lighten the mood.

All those guys were very easy going and amazing to work with. I hope I get to shoot with them again at some point!

5. Anonymous July 10, 2008 at 11:47 am #

Those guys ARE insanely creative. I really dig how they’ve mixed in the live action. Putting your creativity with the creativity of these guys I bet produced one hell of a piece.

When do we get to see it?

I love watching creative genius from one field mixing with creative genius from another. I can thank you Chase for inspiring that! Since reading your blog I’vee seen connections where there were none for me before. Your ability to bridge one medium with another is i’m sure not going unrecognized by those of us who hire you.

6. Anonymous July 10, 2008 at 12:10 pm #

Yeah, its pretty tight. Check this guy also, straight sick!

7. Sandi, ON/CAN July 10, 2008 at 12:33 pm #

i checked out that joseph kosinski. I had NO IDEA this guy was behind all of those creative spots. always wondered who was. im really impressed! thanks fr the link ‘anonymous’ !

8. Tempest1 July 10, 2008 at 12:37 pm #

@ anon: yeah that Joseph guy is good, but have you visited the Superfad site yet? Their work is off the hook! I’ve just spent the last 30 minutes on their site with my eyes popping out of my head.

Thanks for the link Chase!

9. Cody H. July 10, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

Superfad is @ the top of their game In every aspect, and also pretty sweet dudes to hang out with. Always a pleasure to work with.

10. Chase Jarvis July 10, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

I like Josephs work, as well as that of Justin Harder, but Superfad does such an incredible job of integrating live action. Their slow motion stuff with the Phantom camera is truly remarkable in every way.

11. Richard Cave July 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm #

Wow, just knocked my socks off, makes proshow gold look like a kids toy.

Glad I have bought after effects then!

Seriously I am having to use Motion graphics to sell my photos. I wish so much to work in a creative environment that supports cutting edge graphics.

Rich

12. Anonymous July 10, 2008 at 3:34 pm #

give the last commentor a job!

13. James July 10, 2008 at 3:48 pm #

Wow man those are awesome. Those Superfad folks are Super-Fabulous!

14. Anonymous July 10, 2008 at 6:35 pm #

Eh, they all looked the same to me. I’m not saying they were identical, just very similar.

I’d like to see them try something different.

15. Billy July 13, 2008 at 9:32 am #

Hello, this is Billy.

I really loved this article and would like to
    subscribe to a newsletter, if when available.

My email is:

filmbay3@yahoo.com

THanks very much,

Billy Watson, Filmbay Editor

16. juanBONILLA July 13, 2008 at 3:15 pm #

Chase, thanks for sharing this. I went into their website and immediately fell in love with their work on Phelps. It may be because it reminds me of a sequential series of still images more than a video, but I really enjoyed watching that one.

17. Alvaro MAM July 15, 2008 at 3:46 am #

Can’t wait for the synergies between you two, good friends you made :)

18. Anita August 23, 2008 at 1:13 pm #

This is exactly what I want to do with my life. Find a way to completely merge still and moving photography and digital arts in a creative way. And make a motion picture out of it. I got my work cut out for myself.

19. Kancelaria radcy prawnego Warszawa November 23, 2011 at 10:42 am #

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

20. Liana Bourdon March 10, 2014 at 11:02 am #

Do you have a spam problem on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have developed some nice practices and we are looking to swap methods with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.