A New Project: Songs For Eating And Drinking

Okay, I’m really excited to share.

Throw some big-time musicians around a table with some amazing up and comers, feed ‘em like kings and queens, and what do you get? You get some stunning musical performances and a bunch of honest and richly textured video–like this one above–where Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam and Barb Ireland cover “Cool Water” by Hank Williams. You also get a whole bunch of beautifully intimate still images and a really fun project that a friend and I have pulled together… Introducing: Songs For Eating And Drinking.

Okay, here’s the concept: Get a bunch of insanely talented musicians together, and let them share songs, food, and drink. Many a musical career starts with small audiences, impromptu performances, late night mutterings; and then the lucky end up on large stages and tucked deep inside recording studios – often vastly disconnected from those that love their music. My friends in the music industry have bellyached that industry folk hardly ever share food in a meaningful way – or rarely just get together and effin chill. So my good friend Michael, who has been putting amazing people at big dinner tables for a several years now, reached out to me… We connected and decided to take this to the next level, creating these evenings for our musician friends built around long tables, remarkable locations, sturdy drinking food, and bottles of wine and whiskey – with the hope that throughout each night songs would rise up from the table…and with the hope that we could share that music with the world.

I think we’re onto something.

My favorite part? Both Michael and I are physically at the table, eating, chilling, hanging out. Michael had gotten all the food lined up–an absolutely amazing job, I might add…ribs, succotash, sangria…a feast–and then he’s able to just sort of direct a small but zesty staff of helpers. I photograph from the table and immediate surrounds, as the night leads us along… 3200 iso, using a D3 and an old Hassie 503cm. I’m also directing my amazing video and audio crew from the table, popping up here and there, but fully IN the evening. We’ve got a great plan going in, but we also keep it loose and raw and real, low profile – the crew does a spectacular job… Talk about a fun personal project. I’ve always longed to photograph my musician friends in this way – from within an evening rather than from outside it – and without the annoyances sometimes associated with a handcuffed music industry budget and without the cold distance of concert halls. With this project, we’re able to really get in there. Simple, gritty, real, honest. But there’s more…

I sure hope you want to see more videos, still photos, and get some more background on the project. If so, click the ‘Continue Reading’ link below.

Songs For Eating and Drinking is the bringing together of the world’s most talented musicians and letting them share songs, food, and drink. Many a musical career starts with small audiences, impromptu performances, and late night mutterings. These cozy and soulful evenings are a return to those days.

If I can talk you into checking out our S.F.E.A.D. site thoroughly, you won’t be disappointed. There are two other video performances from bands that, if you’re in the uber know, you’ll have heard of: Head Like a Kite (so cool – we’ve used their music in our vids before) and Fences(a remarkable new band that has yet to release a full length album, but will do so very soon and it will rule) and if you’re not in the uber-know, well, now you are.

And guess what, there’s more. We’ll be posting two or three videos from our last evening each week or so for the next month or two, so check in here with us (I’ll be embedding some here at ChaseJarvis.com/blog), but also stay tuned to the SFEAD site via RSS or subscribe via email. The full roster of artists at our table a few nights ago:

-Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) and Barb Ireland (The Fags)
-The Saturday Knights
-Loch Lomond
-Tiny Vipers
-Head Like A Kite
-Sarah Rudinoff
-Fences
-Arthur and Yu

And of course, I’d also love for you to check out some of my images from the evening. There’s a handful here below, but you can get a hundred more by clicking through to this page (don’t forget there are two pages…).

Lastly, before you get onto the still images …just a heads up: we’ve got a whole series of these evenings planned. Many amazing musicians. I hope you get to enjoy some of your favorites in future posts, as well as learn about some new bands. Buy some of these bands’ music. Support them. New, fresh music puts a bounce in your step. There’s a huge range of artist in this project, from hipster, to pop, to folk, hip hop, and good old rock n roll. Also be sure to visit Michael’s OnePot.org page – he’s a great guy and doing really brilliant stuff.

And stay tuned for more. Thanks for letting me gush – this is a really fun one ;)

Fences. Diabetes.

Tilson and Barfly from The Saturday Knights laying lyrics over Pearl Jam’s Stone Gossard

Headlike a kite, backlit.

The wonderful and elegant, Karen Loria… Pearl Jam’s photographer, Ten Club champion. Shot with the good ol’ Hassie.

My partner in crime, Micheal Hebb.

Jesse from Subpop’s Tiny Vipers.

Early in the night, ace music writer, Jonathan Zwickel.

The amazingly cool Cheryl Waters of KEXP, along with our very own Cody and Trent from Head Like a Kite.

100 more photos here

30 Responses to A New Project: Songs For Eating And Drinking

1. PicNerd August 21, 2008 at 1:24 am #

Errr, yeah. This is pretty much the coolest project EVER!!!

Now I definitely won’t go to sleep tonight. To much amazing content to munch on. Seems that Seattle’s music scene is still alive and well.

Are all these bands on itunes?

Inspired.

2. Chase Jarvis August 21, 2008 at 1:44 am #

Hey Picnerd: Thanks for the kind words. funny you mention not sleeping. Just saw your comment come across and here I am still up at nearly 2am.

RE: Your iTunes question. It’s a mix of options. If you follow the links to the bands, many of them have tracks for free. Most of the bands–of course the larger ones–do have stuff on iTunes. (PJ, HLAK, TSK, TV, etc all do for example…) A simple iTunes store search will tell you what you need to know, but visit the artist sites first.

Hope you get to sleep.

3. Mark August 21, 2008 at 2:35 am #

Fantastic project Chase, I can’t wait to see more from it! It reminds me a lot of the TED talks in terms of bringing together all these brilliant minds and I’m sure a whole heap of good will come from it.

4. dirtyone30 August 21, 2008 at 2:54 am #

And so ends all productivity for today!

What an idea . . . Fan bloody tastic.

5. moontear August 21, 2008 at 3:02 am #

Wow Chase, great idea!

Just watched all videos via YouTube and one suggestion there: put all the video’s from the day in a Playlist, so one would be able to view them one after another (1.1,1.2 etc.).

Looking forward to more videos, more pictures more events ;-)

PS: Your RSS Feed is really worth it! Always good content and really nice for a pro photographer to share so much insights. Shouts from Germany.

6. Rob August 21, 2008 at 3:17 am #

Brilliant idea and execution. Thanks for sharing.

One question from us Strobist-types… were you using some strategically placed strobes here?… what was the set-up?

7. tad August 21, 2008 at 8:19 am #

it’s a small world! i’ve been following your blog for a few months, but have listened to kexp online for years, especially sheryl waters and john richards. i wish i lived in seattle just for the music alone ya luck dog. :)

8. 20 August 21, 2008 at 8:42 am #

Totally Rocks Chase. Many years ago when we moved into my house I remember saying to my wife I’d love to have lots of artists, poets and musicians over and have evenings exactly as you’ve described. The difference? You do it! Kudos to you Chase, eschew “Just Do It”.

9. Cody H. August 21, 2008 at 8:46 am #

This was such an incredible night, I had no idea what an experience it was going to be. Thanks Chase and Michael and everyone that was there!

10. ONE POT August 21, 2008 at 9:08 am #

Hey Chase and Team – just wanted to chime in and echo what i said to chase after the night of revelry – essentially that i feel like the amount of care, brilliance, and professionalism they are bringing to this project makes me feel like the decade of schlepping plates and erecting tables in unlikely places is finally paying off – i am indebted with gratitude – to be able to throw a crazy idea like this out there and have some of the most remarkable talents in the industry say “yes” and make it so rich and rewarding along the way? WTF? thanks you guys – let the beat roll on…

11. Gary August 21, 2008 at 10:02 am #

Ahhh, live music, cooking/eating, drinking and photography — all in the same place? This is pretty much what heaven looks like to me. Thank you Chase + Michael.

12. Black English August 21, 2008 at 12:14 pm #

This is what I love about you Chase. You get an idea and go for it sharing it with others without any reservations. I never leave your blog feeling uninspired to make my ideas a reality. Great concept, great music, great pics. Thanks Chase.

13. Anonymous August 21, 2008 at 1:06 pm #

God that footage is absolutely dripping with radness. It’s like I’m there. Sitting. Sipping a glass of whiskey and whispering to the person next to me that I can’t believe this is happening.

It’s so cool how tied into the music stuff you guys are. Watching all the great vids you put out, always with the best music. Now I know why.

Again, great documentation of a special night. Can’t wait to see more of this.

14. Christopher Arata August 21, 2008 at 1:41 pm #

Truly great project Chase! Your blog is a favorite, & this is by far my favorite post. I love the concept, I wish I knew of somethings like this in LA because I would love to be part of something like this.

Cant wait to see more!!

15. Tim Broyer August 21, 2008 at 2:38 pm #

Wow. Your finest post to date. Putting two loves together is pure bliss.

thanks for sharing this special item

16. Scott Shepard August 21, 2008 at 11:16 pm #

Hey chase,
    It really kicks ass that you concept an idea and run with it. It appears that you just wake up in the morning and think, “I’ll take some cool photos”, and by the afternoon they are shot, edited, corrected and published. sigh…if only it were so easy.
    Totally Kick Ass in a 80′s hairband kind of way. I keep coming back cause the content is quality!
    Shep

17. ART n commerce August 22, 2008 at 5:35 am #

Chase, your blog is totally infectious. It gets into my head so beautifully. I know you’re a photographer and an artist, but this blog is also a pop culture melange that reflects on me, my friends, and so many of my peers. I can’t say enough good things about the cool mix of stuff here. And the fact that you’re so down to earth about it? Now that is what I love the most.

18. Peter August 22, 2008 at 11:36 am #

Chase, you are the man! I love seeing people make their ideas realities. Keep on inspiring brother! You’re making NYC look like Sleepytown, USA with all you have gonig on back in Seatown. Cheers!

19. T.W. Meyer August 22, 2008 at 6:04 pm #

I am a huge Hank fan, and enjoy his rendering of that tune. But just as I want my photo credits, I think it’s important to note that Bob Nolan wrote and famously performed “Cool Water”… t

20. Adam August 22, 2008 at 9:31 pm #

Cool. Keep on rockin’… and keep them comin’.

21. Danie Nel August 24, 2008 at 5:55 am #

Being a am-muso (pro-photo), and having worked in the music industry lots, this sounds like a fab idea! Cape Town rocks with good talent. David Matthews himself graduated high-school here in Souh Africa… before he got the Southern Drawl and the big American break! I photographed Seether (they had to change their name from Saron Gas to Seether when they hit the US) here and moshed the same evening’s performance… GREAT idea Chase.

22. Chase Jarvis August 25, 2008 at 5:42 am #

@ TW Meyer – great point! Shout out to Bob Nolan. Love that track…

23. Culinary Fool August 25, 2008 at 11:38 am #

Well, you have to know that I’d think this was a great idea. ;-)

24. Brock August 25, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

Chase… wow, if there’s ever a site to tap into for a little quick hit of motivation this is it.

I love the meme you have here: you don’t ask “why,” you said, “why not?!”

And :::poof::: songs for eating and drinking.

‘Course there is a ton of work behind just “making it happen,” but it all springs from the “why not?”

Thanks.

25. Caleb August 27, 2008 at 8:46 am #

solid, man. solid.

Peace. – Caleb

26. Trevin August 28, 2008 at 6:11 pm #

What a fantastic idea! I love seeing you continue to branch out and do amazing things for the Seattle area.

27. seuny January 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

The diabetes shot is awesome. This project is amazing i have just discovered new music and bands I have never heard off.

28. ukreal1 January 19, 2009 at 6:56 am #

These are cool, love the diabetes shot. I LOVE personal projects, keep me alive!

29. Anonymous February 13, 2009 at 7:42 am #

So fucking dope.

30. London Black Pussy January 1, 2011 at 9:00 pm #

Great blog submit about some hot muff – I discovered your web site through Google.