Chase Jarvis RAW: Seattle Flickr Roundup Redux

So in case you’ve been sleeping under a rock, just a quick reminder that Seattle’s underground photography scene is going berserk. I’d venture to say that there are more aspiring camera shutters cracka-lackin’ here than anywhere on the planet.

If you missed our first such photo evening, highlighted in last January’s vid – Chase Jarvis RAW: Seattle Flickr Roundup – this time we took it to the next level. Thanks to the hard work of my crew and the likes of Glazers Camera here in Seattle, during Friday’s community outreach photo shoot event we were able to provide 100 photographers with the resources they need to help them learn: 30,000 square feet of shooting space, 25 models, 4 stylists, a breakdance crew, a freestyle ramp complete with BMX riders, 7 fully professional lighting stations, and a whole lotta positive vibes…all at no charge to them. In the words of Spinal Tap, this one went to eleven. Click the ‘continue reading’ link below to get the deets on this historic and collaborative event.

So, if you’re a pro shooter, consider rounding up some local photo enthusiasts, reaching out to your community and sharing some knowledge. On the other hand, if you’re an aspiring photographer and this sort of thing is of interest to you, consider rounding up your homies and sharing resources. It’s good fun and remember, a rising tide floats all the boats.

Check out some of their photos from Friday’s gig here:

Seattle Flickr Meetups

Seattle Strobist Group

[Thanks again to our staff, the models, the Fraggle Rock Crew, the stylists, the volunteers, Glazers Camera, and all the participants. And, of course, thanks to Trent at Nine Inch Nails for the tunes. RSS readers may need to click here to see the video.]

74 Responses to Chase Jarvis RAW: Seattle Flickr Roundup Redux

1. nesayus August 13, 2008 at 3:19 am #

You guys ROCK!!!
    Wish that something like this take place in Germany too.
    Or many be I can addend one event in Seattle some day.

btw. I love the song !!!!

2. Kristian Sandbæk Solli August 13, 2008 at 4:05 am #

Wow, this is amazing! I think we have to do something like this in Norway too.

3. Carson Blume August 13, 2008 at 5:19 am #

look photographers sharing!

4. Carson Blume August 13, 2008 at 5:19 am #

look photographers sharing!

5. Bradley Spitzer August 13, 2008 at 6:32 am #

Hey Chase – I’d love to see a 2 minute video on what you shared with everyone while shooting the breakdancers.

6. Ray August 13, 2008 at 7:00 am #

You guys in Seattle are rocking it!!!! We need more people to do things like this here in Tampa. Man you guys make me want to move to Seattle.

7. Philipp Hinrichsen August 13, 2008 at 7:01 am #

I think this was a great fun for everybody. I do always enjoy this blog since a couple of month. I wish I could visit Seattle once and join one of the roundups over there. As i am Living in Europe this one is not going to be easy but I am saving my money for it *joking*. Chase Jarvis you are very kind to let us see how you work. And i am proud i did find your blog. If I Ever come around Seattle I’ll let you know.

8. Reflections by the Hill August 13, 2008 at 7:38 am #

That just ROCKS!! To bad I live here in Arkansas. Wait!! I want to know what it takes to get something started like that here. I am inspired!! What an event. Thanks for sharing.

9. Damien August 13, 2008 at 8:12 am #

awesome stuff. props on the soundtrack too.

10. Culinary Fool August 13, 2008 at 8:13 am #

Chase and Team:
    Thanks so much for your support! Words really can’t express our thanks for all you do for the Seattle Flickr Meetup group!

I can see the impact you are having on individuals as well as the group overall.

We love having you as part of our group and are very lucky you’ve taken such an interest.

Thanks!
    Brenda
    Lead Organizer

11. Paul Swortz August 13, 2008 at 8:14 am #

Here’s a link to see the images on the Seattle Flickr Meetup pool more directly:

Thanks to Chase for his help, and the amazing members and leadership of the Meetup Group who feed the flames of this community.

12. Kelly Bailey August 13, 2008 at 8:25 am #

Thank you Chase and crew, Jeremy, Brenda, Glazers and the models! It was a great event!

13. Kameron August 13, 2008 at 8:32 am #

Chase! Thank you SO much! I was so nervous when I signed up to model, but I ended up having a BLAST!
    This was truly a memorable experience! Your makeup team rocked!

-Kameron Derek

14. Trevin Chow August 13, 2008 at 8:44 am #

Big thanks to Char, his crew along with all the models, makeup artists, stylists and volunteers. This event totally rocked!

15. Saxi August 13, 2008 at 9:34 am #

you really start awesome thingsover there in seattle – wow! must have been a great event! i think no one in germany would organize something like this and seattle is a little bit too far away for me ;o( – so i’m glad to see this videopost ;o)

16. Danny Ngan August 13, 2008 at 9:45 am #

That was such a fun night! Thanks again to everyone for making another awesome shoot. Can’t wait until the next one!

17. Peter August 13, 2008 at 9:46 am #

Chase I was and am still amazed at how giving you are to the photographic community. I loved being there and watching you work.

Thanks so much!

Peter Bui

18. Trevin Chow August 13, 2008 at 11:20 am #

Ha, “Char” should have obviously been “Chase”. Dang iPhone keyboard :)

19. Jules August 13, 2008 at 11:56 am #

Said it in person, but will say it here too. Thanks Chase for helping make this a better experience for everyone. Next time I know I’ll be able to swing more models. :)

20. Stu August 13, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Hey Chase,

We have a great bunch of photographers over here in Scotland, and after watching the video you have inspired me to setup something similar over here in Scotland. I think its a great way to give back to the photographic community. Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers

Stu

21. Will August 13, 2008 at 2:23 pm #

Thanks Chase & crew, what a night it was! Killer vid too, good job!

22. Chris August 13, 2008 at 2:25 pm #

Wow Chase, I really admire the fact that you reveal the specs about your (awesome) work! Too bad the roundup took place in Seattle, since I’m a Dutchie… Any chance you’re going to do a roundup near your studio in Paris? Because I would def attend!

Cheers,
    Chris

23. Danno~ August 13, 2008 at 2:32 pm #

would love to do something like this in phoenix.

congrats on another successful one, chase.

Rocksteady,
    Danno~

24. Nicholaus Haskins August 13, 2008 at 2:45 pm #

That’s it!! Florida is coming back!

25. Steve G. Bisig August 13, 2008 at 2:47 pm #

Chase,

I had a great time at the hanger shoot. Thank you very much for putting this on as well as the snack and beverage after the shoot. – Steve

26. Brett August 13, 2008 at 3:07 pm #

For all the people outside Seattle, WA and the U.S. this is great opportunity for you to find your local professional Photog and get him or her to do the same. It’s great to see a pro donate there time and energy to teach and help there local photography under ground. Good luck and a big Thanks to Chase Javis and to the whole crew.

27. Tuffer August 13, 2008 at 3:09 pm #

boy did I pick the wrong day to move from seattle to brussels! I’ll see if I can bring some of that seattle energy over here. If you’re ever in the area, Chase…

28. Nathanael Gassett August 13, 2008 at 7:24 pm #

Wow. What you’re a part of is pretty amazing. I’m just repeating your words when I say that photographers need to help each other out. Somewhere along the line we got freaked out about people taking our ideas and stopped sharing, but its an unnessessary fear because no one can see your vision like you. Even if someone took the same idea, in the same place, at the same time, the pictures will look different. Art is individual in that sense, but when artists come together they all grow and become better artists.
    What your doing is awesome, awesome, awesome. I look forward to future updates on this project.

_Nathanael

29. Steve Newman Photography August 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm #

Awesome – how do I find out about the next one in advance?

30. Paul Gibson August 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm #

That was a fantastic night! Thanks to everyone who help put on the event and to everyone who showed up to learn and have fun.

31. Terrence August 14, 2008 at 4:35 am #

Chase: Please, please, please make a phone call to New York City and get some of your less-down-to-earth peers on board with this. New York amateurs and semi-pros are dying for someone to care like you do.

32. Theis Poulsen August 14, 2008 at 5:03 am #

Grrr I hate you :D But only for not doing this in my part of the world.

Seems there is loads going on in the US, but here in europe (Denmark) nothing is going on :(

To bad for us but looks like you are doing an amazing job.

33. sarah rhoads August 14, 2008 at 7:51 am #

so sad I had to miss it this time. Had such a grand ol’ time at the last one that you guys did back in January. Chase, your awesome for giving so freely of yourself

34. Jeff August 14, 2008 at 7:55 am #

those lucky seattlers…they should really start doing something that big in Toronto

35. Sean Young August 14, 2008 at 8:00 am #

Chase & crew,

I just wanted to say thanks for putting this all together. I had a great time and enjoyed seeing what other photographers were doing. I can't wait for the next one!

36. Caralin Ruth August 14, 2008 at 8:12 am #

Wow – this looks like it was an amazing event and opportunity. Someone PLEASE do this in Toronto!

37. jussi August 14, 2008 at 8:29 am #

This is way too cool to be true!

I hope the video about the demo you gave is comming up?

38. Anonymous August 14, 2008 at 8:34 am #

Chase, thanks for hangin’ with us.
    – rpsip

39. Phat Baby Photographer August 14, 2008 at 8:39 am #

Incredible! There’s got to be a budget way to do something similar in the Bay Area. Hmmmm…

40. Ryan Dionisio Photography August 14, 2008 at 3:18 pm #

This is amazing and unlike anything I’ve seen. Way to go!

41. Pyrodogg August 14, 2008 at 7:08 pm #

wow, I wish something like this was happening where I live

42. Mark August 14, 2008 at 9:16 pm #

Wow, what a way to give back in education to the community with your time and talents. Now I am bummed I missed this, next time.

43. Lanfranco Sbardella August 15, 2008 at 6:43 am #

hi chase. My name is lanfranco and i’m an italian aspiring shutter! =)
    Your work is fantastic. Your way to share all you have done is very useful for me.
    I hope u come in Italy soon.

44. Embassy Pro Books August 15, 2008 at 8:26 am #

umm, so this sounds like one of the most amazing things i’ve ever heard of for any aspiring photographer.

45. Tacks for Snacks August 15, 2008 at 2:14 pm #

amazing, it would be cool if we could see some shots of chase’s demo

46. Anonymous August 15, 2008 at 3:44 pm #

Hi Chase,

Great stuff guys!!

I’m with nesayus Germany sucks as far as giving back all the pro-photog keep everything close tho there chest.

Neasaus let do it here?

47. mark August 15, 2008 at 11:02 pm #

I think this is amazing and i wish something like this would take place here in england, i have two questions:
    1) what cable do u use to lonk ur camera to the computer?
    2) what lighting were u using in this?

48. mark August 15, 2008 at 11:03 pm #

just reading my other comment i ment to say link not lonk!!

49. dave wright August 16, 2008 at 10:11 pm #

i just wish i had that kind of SPACE!

50. Frank Doorhof August 17, 2008 at 1:47 am #

Wonderful.
    Would love to organize it in the Netherlands :D

51. Chase Jarvis August 17, 2008 at 11:34 am #

@ frank: contact me offlist to discuss hosting one of these in the netherlands… I can give you some background and ideas.

52. Chase Jarvis August 17, 2008 at 11:35 am #

@ everybody: contact me offlist to discuss hosting one of these in the your country or city… I can give you some background and ideas. I’m serious about infusing this idea into photo communities worldwide.

get me at info at chase jarvis dot com

53. Frank Doorhof August 17, 2008 at 11:55 am #

You’ve got mail.

54. Adam August 17, 2008 at 3:46 pm #

I teach high school kids photography and this is the kind of thing that I am trying to set up for them (on a bit smaller scale!) I really want to be part of this next time, how can I get on the list?

55. Black English August 17, 2008 at 6:53 pm #

@ Adam : Join the Seattlelites Flickr group and also sign up at Meetup.com. There is always something going on with this group!

56. Adam August 17, 2008 at 8:05 pm #

@Black English…thanks.

57. David Redding August 17, 2008 at 9:20 pm #

it’s real cool how much you are truly giving back to the photographic community. There are so many posers out there that say they are out to help out and all they really want to do is help out their pocket book.

Here in my home town the pros are very closed mouth and the only time they are willing to talk to you is to treat you like a mule and then ship you off. I have actually heard of pros giving very bad advise on purpose because they are afraid of competition, so they figure if they sabotage you now they can cut one more competitor down before they get started……..Very sad

58. RVDS August 18, 2008 at 9:49 am #

You guys are doing such amazing work, and you are such an inspiration! Would love to do this in London, UK sometime soon!

59. Dartanyon Race August 18, 2008 at 12:47 pm #

Mark,

to address your questions:
    1) To connect our D# to Aperture, we just use a mini USB -> USB cable. We were running a Profoto Pro 7A with 2 heads, a Pro 7b (battery) with 2 heads.

Dartanyon

1) what cable do u use to lonk ur camera to the computer?
    2) what lighting were u using in this?

60. Bill August 19, 2008 at 10:23 am #

@Chase, Thanks for doing this; I know it means a lot to the group and I just wish I could have been there. I lived in Seattle for 6 months Jan 30 to Aug 1 and so even though I was involved with the Flickrites I missed you on both ends by a couple weeks….

When you say “And, of course, thanks to Trent at Nine Inch Nails for the tunes. “, Do you contact Trent to get permission to use his songs over the videos?

61. Niveus Apparel August 19, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

this is so rad. Will you ever make it to the east coast? This would be killer in the boston area…

62. Veduta Valerii August 19, 2008 at 1:11 pm #

Why, why there is nothing like that in Ukraine…
    There is only one solution – to organize such activity by myself…
    Chase, will you give me a quick HOWTO? 
    Thank for your video.

63. Veduta Valerii August 19, 2008 at 1:17 pm #

sorry, I post in 2-3 time. how to contact you… offlist?

64. Chase Jarvis August 20, 2008 at 2:55 pm #

@ Bill: yup. we get permission to use all the music in our videos.

65. Ogalthorpe August 21, 2008 at 2:17 pm #

I’m proud to have had a hand in this and glad I could help.

If anyone is interested in how to build a better strobist community, I’d be more than happy to chat.

Jeremy Center, A Seattle Photographer

66. Marc Andre Jourdan August 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm #

This is just great and unbelievable cool! I am following your blog since last year december and I am just blown away! You really are a true example of how the world should be with each other not just in photography… This is evolution! free evolution!

respect

sincerely

Marc Andre Jourdan

67. mytmouse August 27, 2008 at 8:09 pm #

Chase, this was such a great experience that I’m STILL talking about it. I’ve had a few people ask how I got studio space and lighting gear for my shots and I pointed them right to your blog. Thanks a million man!

68. Aberazzi September 16, 2008 at 11:53 pm #

I kind of wish you would come to Texas and do one of these or let it known way in advance. I would be more than willing to fly to Seattle to hang out and shoot a day with Chase Jarvis.

69. Radu Onofrei September 18, 2008 at 6:38 am #

I only can dream about something like that to happen into my country.

70. JoelDC October 26, 2008 at 3:39 am #

Love this!
    You guys gotta come to Sydney, Australia!

71. Mark October 28, 2008 at 10:36 am #

I have read you were using 4 heads but i can only see 3 of them in the video!!!

72. Chase Jarvis October 28, 2008 at 10:46 am #

pretty sure I was just using 3…

73. Adam January 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm #

Would like to see something like this happen in Sydney Australia one day. Great to see other photographers getting together and sharing there ideas and how-tos great work.

74. Roman Cieloha September 22, 2014 at 2:34 am #

likes is very uncomplicated, really don’t avoid above steps and save your Facebook Page Likes. Also check out Here you can check how to divert your Facebook Web page traffic to you Web-site Connect with TricksWindow on