Be My Editor

Please be my editor for the next 5 minutes.

I’m in the process of preparing an update for my online portfolio. Lots of new stuff to add. Having said that, we’re having a meaty discussion here in the studio this morning about images. So it occurred to me that, purely out of curiosity–and if you’re willing to indulge me–I’m looking for your feedback. I want to know two things, with a third thing as optional:

Thing 1: which is your most favorite image in my current online portfolio?
Thing 2: which is your least favorite image in my current online portfolio?
Thing 3 (optional): if you can briefly answer ‘why’ to either or both of the above, then do tell.

Just go ahead and list the images by number in the comments below.

Please keep a couple things in mind:

First, I’m just looking for your gut reaction. Resist noodling this (and I might suggest you don’t read other comments prior to weighing in.) I’ve got a lot of criteria for which images I’ll be featuring in the new round of edits (ones that are most personally close to me, ones that resonate with the projects I’m excited about, ones that feel like the work I’m hungry to do more of…etc), but as an artist I’m trying to understand more about raw impact, pause, stopability vs. the long take-in, and your opinion will help me learn a few things.

Second, to keep us on track, I’m hoping for this to be simply a basic count of your favorite(s) or dud(s) relative to the other images in my portfolio (not to anyone else). I’ve got some thick skin, but I’m not at this point looking for your comprehensive analysis. Just the facts, mam. Thanks.

UPDATE: Thanks so much for such an overwhelming response in less than 24 hours. Wow. I really appreciate your time, and the comments have fascinating. Since we got so much feedback in such a short time (my inbox looks like a pile of hangars ;) I’m going to close down the thread and take a closer look at what you had to say… Please continue to peruse and compare with the notes of others if you like. In the meantime, I’ll report back in the not-too-distant future. Thanks!

227 Responses to Be My Editor

1. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 12:44 pm #

Most Favorite: #18
    Least favorite: #20

Why: #20 just seems to be very basic portrait and out of place with the rest of your work. #18 just feels “big” and the captured backflip in the background is awesome.

2. Bree Herbert September 2, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Not an easy decision because you obviously have a lot of great stuff in your portfolio, but…

Most Favorite: #5
    Least Favorite: #12

I like #5 because of the awesome action captured, the dynamic lines and nice color. It’s fun to look at!

Don’t really like #12 because it seems static, the lack of color doesn’t do much, and I’m wondering what the “story” is.

3. Ole Simen September 2, 2008 at 1:06 pm #

Most favorite(s): #10 & #30…couldn't make up my mind since both these pics like really gave me a tingle…a wow-kinda feeling that made thoughts run wild in my head:D

Least favorite: #20. For me, this is just a really baaad portrait with no story or touch at all…just didn't get that happy feelin';)

4. Charles Silverman September 2, 2008 at 1:16 pm #

Most fav… #1… romantic, warm, a real moment. LOVE IT.
    Least fav… #3… I’m not sure why I’m looking at it

and Chase… thanks for turning your studio, work, and process inside-out… really appreciate it. It’s inspiring.

5. delboy September 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm #

11. brilliant, always liked this shot.
    28. not brilliant.

11. top top top shot. everything works for me. Lighting is great.
    28. the not so great from a brilliant bunch, just not interesting enough for me.

6. hash September 2, 2008 at 1:20 pm #

Most Favorite: 17
    Least Favorite: 8

7. joeri September 2, 2008 at 1:22 pm #

Hy,
    least=3
    most=30
    I love the shadow in pict 30, and the colors wow just love it.

joeri

8. Stuart Little September 2, 2008 at 1:26 pm #

Most Favorite: #11
    Least favorite: #04

Why, #04 I just dont get it… its not thought provoking and I don’t think it does your portfolio justice…

#11 I love the colour, the composite, the ghosting, and the fact that you totally break the rules by chopping the subjects head off forcing you to look at the clothes and then the rest of the image.

Cheers

Stu

9. G$ September 2, 2008 at 1:27 pm #

Chase, you have very little chaff in your work so this is really hard.

I really like #26. It always grabs me. Love everything about it.

Thumbs down? Toss up between #8 and #12 (for different reasons) so I guess you can use my vote as a tie-breaker if needed.

10. stephan mantler September 2, 2008 at 1:28 pm #

yay:#30. totally dig the hard contrast, but what really won me is the guy’s shadow.
    nay: #08: nice colors, and just a hint of an interesting story, but my eyes are simply lost in the overall fuzziness.

11. Ben Brunt September 2, 2008 at 1:30 pm #

# 16 is my favorite. Mostly because of its simplicity and dramatic lighting.
    #8 is my least favorite. Tough to say. I understand the story but doesn’t hold up to the other images.

12. Jorge P. September 2, 2008 at 1:30 pm #

Most Favorite: #10
    The colour, the light, the cold sharpness, the feeling of “last person on earth”.

Least Favorite: #13
    Not very evocative.

Best of luck!

13. Greg September 2, 2008 at 1:31 pm #

#1 & 13: Are tight!
    1-Gots that emotion!
    13-Gots that dope graphic movement!

#3 doesnt look like you!
    3-looks like your trying to execute an art style.

14. mahonyWeb September 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm #

Most favourite: 10

Least: 03 or 05

15. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 1:36 pm #

5 I like because of the overall color look I guess.
    8 I don’t adhere to the everything-is-out-of-focus feel.

Regards,

16. Scott September 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm #

A very interesting exercise. I did the same thing about 2 years ago and I was shocked over how “out of tune” I was with what people liked and what they saw in my work when compared to what I liked. What did Ansel say? “There are two people in every photograph”

I’m hoping you publish a blog entry with your thinking after you you review all of the feedback.

17. Scott September 2, 2008 at 1:37 pm #

18. GeoWulf September 2, 2008 at 1:43 pm #

Most Favorite: #1
    Least Favorite: #20

I like #20 bu the framing seems a little off. Maybe the capture of the flip seems too ‘symmetrical’ and therefore makes me think it’s staged or edited.

19. The Leisurist September 2, 2008 at 1:46 pm #

Favorite:
    #25 Strong composition, dramatic lighting that adds more energy to the already hyperkinetic scene.

Least:
    #28 Non compelling compostionally and story wise….#13 Pedestrian snapshot with maybe some interesting light at best.

20. Wesley Nulens September 2, 2008 at 1:47 pm #

-12

21. Nathan September 2, 2008 at 1:47 pm #

Favourite: 19
    Least Favourite: 28

22. Mamboman September 2, 2008 at 1:47 pm #

Most Favourite: #05
    Like the dynamic move of the guy vs. the static background.

Least Favourite: #01
    Nice self portrait in the sunglasses, but too much light for my taste.

23. Thao Tran September 2, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

1) My favorite would be No. 11.

2) My least favorite would be No. 02.

3) No. 11 is my favorite because I like the way the color green shows against the dominate gray color and also because I love the movement and non-movement of the picture. Makes you stop and contemplate about the picture.

No. 02 is my least favorite because it does nothing for me. Without the skater it would be just another car picture. I looked through the portfolio and looked at No. 02 for a micro-second and just moved on. Did not catch my attention from the get-go.

Hope this helps Chase…

(I was actually torn between No. 11 and 22)

24. austin September 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

Chase,

My favorite is #24. I like the action in it. It feels as if it were a still taken from a motion picture.

My least favorite is 3. I like the picture, but it isn’t really what I have come to know as a “Chase Jarvis” shot. – It just doesn’t feel like you. It feels out of place.

25. Daniel Caro September 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm #

Hi Chase. Most images scream “you” (as in “Chase Jarvis (TM)”), in a good way… so that was, in a way, what I see when I see your images. But follow my reasoning here for a little:

N° 12 is my least favorite. Why? Because it’s not that much “you”. It kinda feels like a “I’ll pop my head out of my hotel room” image, and a little PS later doesn’t do miracles, we all know it.

On the other hand, N° 3 is my favorite. It feels like an image of something that’s just there, but when looking at it a) you are not sure if it was posed or not, and b) it doesn’t matter either, because the final image has your signature and has that “something” that makes you feel something.

Sorry for the blabber…

26. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 1:50 pm #

Most Favorite: #30
    - This picture reminded me of my childhood adventures. I really liked how the shadows and dark colors play.

Least Favorite: #8
    - This one didn’t seem to have anything going on in it. A couple in the desert that’s completely out of focus. There wasn’t anything to direct my attention to.

27. Gonzalo September 2, 2008 at 1:51 pm #

Most Favorite: #10
    Least favorite: #22

#10 because it was extremely interesting visually, lines lead you into the distance initially but the runner leads you back and I almost can’t stop going back and fourth. I would think it was a production that could easily be sold to Nike or whatnot but I keep drinking the cool-aide. I think of all the people who run in an urban environment that can’t get to grass or have a nice long place to run. Excellent photo, it keeps me looking around it. The sunbeam frames the runner in but at the same time creates a kind of vertical directionality. I have more I want to say but I can’t organize my thoughts.

#22 Just looks like someone put together a miniature and played with depth of field, the arrangements of chairs are fun to ponder but there are so many more impacting images.

Hope this helps.

Love your work, love your attitude and approach towards it. Keep making behind the scenes and sharing your knowledge and insight. It keeps a lot of us on track, well me at least.

28. Scott Van Dyke September 2, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

I’m sure you just open a can of worms with this topic. I’m sure you and your staff will be even more confused after this.

My Fav would be number 10. The picture says a lot about determination and solitude. Which running is about. I feel that in that shot.

My least fav is 3 and 28. They just don’t flow well with the rest of the images you have in your portfolio.

Scott Van Dyke Photography

Los Angeles 323-466-0606
    New York 212-371-4100

29. Simon Minshall September 2, 2008 at 1:52 pm #

Least favourite thing: 12
    Favourite thing: 16

The thing is with 12 is that I don’t get what it says, or i do, “America’s pollution” and it doesn’t say it strongly enough.

The thing with 16 is that it’s enigmatic. I like this one because it appears to ask more questions than it reveals, it’s engaging.

30. Doug September 2, 2008 at 1:53 pm #

Fav #11 love the composition and action occurring beyond the main subject–tells a great story

Least #12 just seems like a very busy snapshot where I don’t get the point; doesn’t seem to fit your portfolio

31. Scott September 2, 2008 at 1:54 pm #

Favorite: #1
    Least: #13

#1 is a striking photo for someone who doesn’t have a knowledge of photography and an even more impressive shot for someone who understands exposure. Furthermore, it tells a story – particularly, why are you in the backseat? And, of course, it is autobiographical.

#13 doesn’t really say much to me nor can I appreciate the technique needed for this photo besides a fast shutter speed.

Thanks for considering my input.

32. robbie September 2, 2008 at 1:57 pm #

I’m torn for my favorite between 18 and 24. I love the subtle nature of the guy doing a back flip out of focus in the background. And 24 made me laugh, and feel like I was part of the action.

Number 8 is my least favorite. There is nothing to focus on and with everything out of focus it gave me a little eye strain headache.

33. mtreinik September 2, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

Most favorite: 18
    Least favorite: 13

Noodling: 18 has an off-beat mood but is still not too artsy-fartsy to fit a commercial context.

13 gives me a feeling of a boring road trip, pointing a cheap video camera at anything remotely interesting, but not really capturing anything significant.

34. bruce m September 2, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

Fav – 10
    Least – 3

10 great composition, like the message of under the city, solitude, strength and moving through the “big” city.(??)

3 looks like junk and I wouldn’t hang it on my wall.

35. Pouhou September 2, 2008 at 2:00 pm #

most favorite : 5 and 10
    least favorite : 15
    5 for the contrast and the dynamique and the 10 because it strike me as a metaphore of modern life in a big city (lonelyness and run for the stress and keeping the shape)
    voila

36. petr September 2, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

+16

the H Masters gangster shoot is your signature set for me though ;)

37. Matt September 2, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

Fav: 10

I love the feel of it. Solitude, determination, discipline, meditation, drive. I could see it work as an ad for many many different products: Starbucks, Nike, etc. Shows great production (empty streets) and artistic vision.

Dud: 3

Maybe I’m not hipster enough, but I don’t get it. What’s the point of this image? The negative side of post-modern consumerism? Turning everyday objects into sculptures? Not to be too harsh, but it looks like a snapshot an art school undergrad would take while backpacking through Europe on Daddy’s dime.
    It doesn’t show your mastery of production, lighting or artistic vision.

But, like I said, maybe I’m not hipster enough to get it.

38. fxmixer September 2, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

#5 is my favorite. Color, contrast and energy just smack me in the face. Awesome.

#8 is my least favorite. It just reads a bit flat for me.

39. Misty September 2, 2008 at 2:09 pm #

Least favorite: #8 – doesn’t feel like there’s anything to focus on, and I don’t think it fits the feel of the rest of the photos

Most favorite: #30 – I love how it has a dramatic, fantasy-like feel. It captures your focus on action and ‘different’ pictures.

40. Ken Beegle September 2, 2008 at 2:12 pm #

Favorite: #1 (followed closely by 10)
    Least Favorite: #3

For lack of a better phrase, #1 has a personality told through the lighting and frame.

41. Speed September 2, 2008 at 2:17 pm #

Least favorite: 03 (shopping carts)
    Very favorite: 22 (chairs)

Almost very favorite: 01 (woman with glasses)

42. John Barclay September 2, 2008 at 2:22 pm #

Fav – 30 just an emotional image bringing back a childhood memory…

Least Fav – 28 – Maybe it’s me but I don’t get it…. Transformers on a building… ? Does nothing for me.

43. Jesse September 2, 2008 at 2:25 pm #

Favorite: 1 or 16 because I can feel them. I know what it’s like to be there: splendid

Least Favorite: 28 or 12
    28 is boring, and 12 is over-processed

Unsolicited Advice: your only portrait is 20 which is weak out of context. You have better.

44. ivan L September 2, 2008 at 2:28 pm #

Favs: 26 and 5

Least favs: 13, 14 and 7.

26: This is one of those picture you can stop and stare at for a while, observing every little detail. The lighting makes it feel like it’s going to be an intense game. The way they’re stretching gives you that pre-game tension feeling. And the use of negative space works really well.

5: Same thing here. The lighting, the model’s pose and expression just attracts me to the picture. It does a good job of portraying sort of an urban playground.

13: No real focus point. Just seems like one of those pictures people take when they’re riding in a car.

14: This picture doesn’t really say anything to me. Looks like a regular point and shoot picture. (Maybe there’s something special about the car that I’m just not aware of). The background is a bit cluttered too.

2: This picture is interesting because the man in the front and the white street lights are the only two elements in focus. If the man is the focus then his expression doesn’t really do anything for the picture. If the street light is the main subject then I don’t really know what to think..

Hope this helps.

45. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 2:31 pm #

Most Favorite: #22
    Least favorite: #03

22 = im a sucker for tilt shift
    03 = totally out of place

46. Paulo Rodrigues September 2, 2008 at 2:34 pm #

6 is my favourite from your current portfolo, I love the contrast between the calm blue of the water and the diver and the anticipation of the calm being broken.

15 Is my least favourite, there is nothing in it, even the colours don’t evoke an emotional response.

47. Corey September 2, 2008 at 2:37 pm #

Most Favorite: #31
    Least favorite: #3

I like #31 because it’s so cool and looks like something futuristic and stylish! It reminds me of the casual style of Minority Report (which is a good thing, i know a lot of you didn’t like that movie).

I don’t like #3 because I hate mannequins. Simple as that. It’s hard to pick a bad shot in your portfolio. Your to damn good! Damn you Jarvis! ha!

48. Elf September 2, 2008 at 2:44 pm #

Most Fav #30

Love the chiaroscuro, visual impact.

Least Fav#2

Boring, mundane, seems to be made by an amateur without talent :P

49. Justin Voight September 2, 2008 at 2:47 pm #

1 = yes
    3 = no

50. John Grover September 2, 2008 at 2:49 pm #

fave 10 of 31
    least fave 15 of 31
    I like the fave because it is like a glimpse you catch out of a window as you drive by…yet it still tells a whole story.

The least fave does nothing for me. No story, no feeling. More like “whoops the camera is on and I clicked the shutter by mistake”.

51. Flavio Coelho September 2, 2008 at 2:54 pm #

Most Favorite: #10 – great shot, love the colors and the composition.
    Least favorites: #3, 7, 13 and 28 – have no idea on why they’re on your portfolio.

52. Barak September 2, 2008 at 2:57 pm #

This is fun!

Couldn’t narrow it down.
    Like 10, 18, 24
    Don’t 3, 14, 20

10 So strong graphically and in the message. I want to keep looking at it.
    24 It made me laugh. It’s an idea I don’t think anyone else would have thought of. I feel a part of the action

3 Looks like a student art project from someone who is stretched for ideas. You are not stretched for ideas.
    14 Ho hum picture of an ugly car.
    20 Not a good moment, unattractive background, lighting doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t get it. It seems terribly out of place.

53. Ralph September 2, 2008 at 2:57 pm #

Favorite: 31
    least Fav: 2

54. kallahar September 2, 2008 at 2:59 pm #

Photos I liked (one pass through, in viewed order)

5 – the surreal sky
    10 – because I got harassed by building security for taking photos right near there – http://kallahar.com/stories/20080601_photo_harassed/
    11 – good colors
    18 – the wtf? moment when noticing the guy doing the flip on the right
    29 – mix of industrialism (the power poles) and human spirit (the adventure of snowboarding)
    30 – the shadow seems like the kid’s imagination writ large, like he’s a giant beast in his head

I’m just an amatuer photographer who likes shooting editorial. Of course, sometimes you want your portfolio to show product shots, etc to get a job, the artistic portfolio can show off technical merits and more experimental shots that wouldn’t necessarily work in an advertisement.

55. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 3:03 pm #

Most favorite 24 love the story it is telling very creative, you feel like you are there.
    (with next favorite 22 chairs it is so artlike)

least favorite 28 looks like a anyone type of shot not a chase jarvis image.

56. Austin September 2, 2008 at 3:04 pm #

Chase,

Most fav.: It was a VERY hard decision between 5 and 10. I think I’m going to have to go with 10 though.

Least Fav.: Was also hard to pick between 8 and 13. I would probably go with 13.

Why? I really like 10 for many reasons. I really like the composition and aesthetics, the post processing fits well, perfect location, nice time of day. I like how you have aligned the image so that the rail guard on the right points strait down the road, then circles back around to lead your eyes the the model. Contrast definitely helps with that as well. This one is a definite keeper and I think it really shows your product line the best.

I dislike 13 the most because what I see in the image is something I see every single day, another car and a city. You asked for a gut reaction; but, I didn’t really have one and I think that is the problem. The reflections in the window do no help the image either(IMO). Maybe if there was something happening other than the average day to or from work. I’m assuming though, that this image represents you and your busy life; which is good.

Regards,
    Austin Joffe

57. Andrew Strain September 2, 2008 at 3:05 pm #

fave: #30 (runner up #10)
    lame: #28

I love the complex interaction between light and shadow in both 30 and 10… while 28 is just a snapshot of some urban shit.

58. Farrell September 2, 2008 at 3:05 pm #

Favorite: #24 (also liked #27)

Least Favorite: #3

Why?
    #24 adds a sense of humor to the other qualities of your work. I had fun with it.
    #27 had such interesting framing it drew me in.
    #3 I hate shopping, what can I say?

59. Brian Daly September 2, 2008 at 3:20 pm #

Fave #1 Love this photo’s mood (although don’t like the reflection of the photographer and camera).

Least #3 – The only one I really dislike. Looks to me like a snapshot of junk.

60. Warwick Patterson September 2, 2008 at 3:22 pm #

Least Fave: #3
    It just doesn't have the same impact of your other images. It's an image that any number of other photographers could take…whereas some of your other stuff is pure Chase Jarvis.

Favourite: #10
    First off, this image packs a punch and makes you stop to look at it with its light & shadows, and hard lines. It also invokes a lot of emotion to those who participate in sports – namely, the sense of pushing personal limits, slugging it out alone because you want to better yourself, etc.

Can't wait to see the new portfolio!

61. Adam Swords September 2, 2008 at 3:23 pm #

Most favourite: #5
    Least Favourite(s): #21 & #20 (in that order)

If I had to choose an iconic shot for you then it would be #5.
    To me it's a photographic representation of what (I think) you're about – dynamism, energy, clarity, quality, balance.

On the flip side #21 would be my least favourite as to me it doesn't carry your signature. I feel that your personal connection to this image is stronger than that of the viewers. That's fine if it's a collection of photos for your own viewing pleasure, but to promote your talent…I'm not so sure.

#20 was a second choice (I decided on #5 and #21 after the first run through the images) upon more cranial consideration rather than gut instinct. I feel that it does carry your signature through the post work, however as with #21 it doesn't really tell me anything about you, him, what for, why or when.

I hope that's of some use mate.

62. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 3:31 pm #

+25 yup
    -3 meh

63. Ron Carney September 2, 2008 at 3:34 pm #

Repeated from FB:

Most Favorite: 6
    Reason: I love the sense of anticipation- both from the subjects body, just entering the frame, and his hands, about to enter and disturb the still water.

Least Favorite: 8
    Reason: The only reason is the lack of any point in focus. I love the composition and light, but my eye keeps searching for a sharp detail.

64. Jan Balster September 2, 2008 at 3:38 pm #

Least Favorite: it’s between 20 and 12

Both shots feel like afterthoughts/grab-shots . No. 12 is very out of place.

Most Favorite:

I’ll have to say that this one is between 10 and 11.

They both convey a style and understanding of today’s culture. I personally connect to that kind of imagery. The combination of urban landscape and athleticism of shot No. 10 and the big-city lifestyle in combination with music in shot No. 11.

On a different note, I’ve been trying to get in touch with you and to ask you to give me some feedback on my work. If you don’t mind, could you have a look at my website and tell me what you think and what I might want to work on?

Thanks,

- Jan

65. Brendan Quinn September 2, 2008 at 3:47 pm #

Least Favorite – 13. There is no real focus in this photo, and on a quick look through, it’s easily forgotten compared to the other stuff.

Favorite – 11. Very memorable on a quick look through, I love the static model with the movement everywhere else in the photo. Tells a great story.

66. the Doug September 2, 2008 at 3:58 pm #

Like #11
    Story that I kind of resonate with…

Dislike #8
    I don’t understand this picture, I don’t “get” it.

67. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 4:00 pm #

As you asked, this is my take after glancing only once through the folio:

Fav: #29

Lest fav.: #01

Cheers!

68. Boris Yankov September 2, 2008 at 4:07 pm #

I dislike very much the ones that look and feel like snapshots by a non-photographer. They are already listed, like #8.

I associate you a lot with your previous porfolio which looked more commercial. I like #11.

Please, could you talk about your images in a future topic? For example the least favorite ones? It is obvious we are not getting them.

69. Ellen Boughn September 2, 2008 at 4:16 pm #

Least: #1 I’m over over blown light
    Best: tie between 6 and 24

70. Jim Goldstein September 2, 2008 at 4:26 pm #

Least: #3
    Compared to your other work its static, cluttered and lacks a unique perspective.

Most: #11 a tough choice (liked 10 and 5 alot too)
    To me this has a great balance to it between the static and moving. For a photo missing a head this works perfectly keeping the eye on the attire of the subject while keeping the background clean and interesting.

Hope the info helps. one of the many projects on my plate is honing in on a select few photos for my portfolio. Evaluating ones own work can be so challenging. Getting an outsiders perspective is always helpful. I hope my take on your work helps.

71. Marcos G. Meider September 2, 2008 at 4:35 pm #

Like #11
    Nice contraposition of a static subject against a dynamic one.

Dislike #4
    Don’t know why, but as the pope said to Michelangelo in this video:

“I may not know much about art, but I know what I like!!!!”

I miss your Ninja and diver pictures.

72. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 4:40 pm #

Most Best – Number 24
    Image has instant emotion and captures a great scene.

Least Best – Number 13
    Doesn’t have any real focus point, strikes me as plain boring and keeps my attention for a mere nano second.

73. Kevin Lau September 2, 2008 at 4:55 pm #

I like most of them!

Best fav: 30 (Love the concept and composition, very cool shot)
    Least fav: 9 (Somehow the composition of the picture on the left didn’t quite work for me)

74. cheryl September 2, 2008 at 5:06 pm #

most favorite 25 and 30 – energy/motion/light/story
    Least favorite – 8, 3 – meh
    Stopped me to take a closer look: 4 (shock/starkness), 7(unusual focus/nice tones), 16 (mystery), 19 (contrast/light/story)

75. David de Groot September 2, 2008 at 5:06 pm #

Most: #24 – why? I like the dynamism of it, and the way it tells a story. (close second was #18 as it makes you look twice)

Least: For me, #31. The overexposed lights and sensor bleed don’t do it for me.

76. xlphotog September 2, 2008 at 5:08 pm #

First of all; I am supposed to like the images in your portfolio? Hell, I thought those were all the ones I am supposed to not like. What’s with the shot of the utility pole with all the junk hanging off of it with the building in the background? Is there a message I’m missing? I like #31. All the rest is shit.

77. Brian Braun September 2, 2008 at 5:14 pm #

Fav: 5, 26
    Dis’s: #3, 28

Why? Favs I love them. Beautiful capture in simple everyday life but somehow you make them ultra iconic.

Dis: I wonder where you head was at when you shot these. not questioning your artistic thought process….just seems like you need to be in your presence hearing your explanation of why these images are important. Maybe because I know you take some ridiculous photos and I’m stuck looking at a pile of shopping carts….with no interesting post really. Maybe it would click with a title or quote behind it….like “Enough is Enough.” If I am missing something let me know.

BRAUN

78. jbaker071 September 2, 2008 at 5:25 pm #

Favorite: 5, 11, 16, 18
    Not so much: 2, 8

You’ve got some really nice stuff. I guess I get confused when I see some images that are obviously very meaningful to you (otherwise they wouldn’t have made the cut) but look amateurish compared to the rest of the collection.

What a fantastic idea to ask us about this. Cheers to you!

79. Superduper Idea Club September 2, 2008 at 5:26 pm #

Fav: 1 & 30
    Least Fav: 21

1 is just real. you can feel the warmth, love your reflection in her lens. 30 made me stop. Love the concept.

21 sort of just sits there for me. I found my self trying to find a focal point and never really found one.

Love your work and what you're doing for photogs.

80. Chuck September 2, 2008 at 5:29 pm #

Thing 1: Favorite is 15
    Thing 2: Least Favorite is 3
    Thing 3: 15 is my favorite because I’m more traditional like that. I Dislike number 3 because it looks like alot of the “fine art” images I’m seeing lately that I just dont get.

81. MikeL September 2, 2008 at 5:31 pm #

Most Favorite: #7
    Least Favorite #8

#7 makes me look twice. It shows creativity, planning and execution.

#8 reminds me of an nothing special, amateur, out-of-focus shot. I’ve never really “gotten” the totally out-of-focus images.

82. lori September 2, 2008 at 5:34 pm #

Most favorite: #11
    Everything in this image works for me, and it can be interpreted in so many different ways.

Least favorite: #28. I just don’t get it. I don’t know what the subject is supposed to be, I don’t like that half the sky is blown out, I don’t understand the composition…Maybe if it had some context I might understand what you are trying to say, but on its own I just don’t get it.

Took a quick read through the other responses after making my choices. Wow, such varied opinions and tastes and there doesn’t seem to be any real “winners/losers”. Guess that’s not going to make things any easier for you. Can”t wait to read your followup.

83. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 5:47 pm #

Liked 2,7,11
    disliked 12

84. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 5:47 pm #

Most Favorite: 11
    Least Favorite: Between 8 and 28

85. noah September 2, 2008 at 5:48 pm #

Favorite(s):

#22 is simply beautiful and evokes a familiar (and good) sensation…
    #26 is pretty cool… guys warming up for some intense foosball… awesome.

Least Favorite(s):
    Its menage a twa with
    #2
    #4
    #13.
    These three photos don’t persuade me to feel any emotion and I easily forgot them after scanning your website a few times.
    I feel like I’ve seen these pictures a million times in a million different places.
    Thats that;

Oh yeah, liked #24 too.

86. Chris Justin September 2, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

Most Favorite 9
    on the right , Peaceful,the warmth of the morning sun,patient, the pattern of the stone

Least Favorite 3
    Shopping carts, metal, plastic, colored ones, corrosion; Its a dump:) with the Mega Marts parking lots filled with loose ones, with trash; And people never put them in the right place, or leave them at bus stops. Why take a picture? to remind us just how lazy humanity really is….:)

87. thelastminute September 2, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

Most Favorite: 18
    Least Favorite: 2

88. Misha September 2, 2008 at 5:54 pm #

Most fave: 2 – the image has both technical and emotional parts in it. It can be used in for an advertisement as well as an art print. Versatile, yet catchy, with bright colors that just pop.

Least fave: 13 – this seems more of a scouting snapshot. Is this an advertisement for LR or a shot for your buddy of a cool car you saw on the road? It doesn’t have substance.

89. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 6:02 pm #

Most fav: #5 (because it is different and dynamic and excites me as a photographer and as a viewer…+ love the colours, comp and lighting)

Least fav: #3 (because it just seems to random and a bit to much like a snapshot compared to the other work in you folio)

By the way thanks for the chance to let us all be honest and critique your work :)

Looking forward to seeing the new portfolio.

Cheers.

90. Mike September 2, 2008 at 6:12 pm #

Most: 30
    Least: 3

91. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 6:20 pm #

Favorite #18
    Least Favorite #13

#18 grabbed my attention. The girl looked attractive and interesting. The road took my eye back to the guy doing a flip, the sun, etc. The more I looked at it the more interesting it became. Why is the guy doing a flip? Any reason it was over the yellow line? There are tire marks leading off of the road. Why?

#13 Maybe I missed it but there was nothing special. It looked like anyone with point and shoot camera could have taken it through a car window.

92. suzanne September 2, 2008 at 6:28 pm #

most fave = 19 love the movement, composition and lighting..very dramatic cool shot to me.

lease fave – 3 personal taste I guess…it just does nothing for me.

93. Hamish September 2, 2008 at 6:45 pm #

Most Favorite: 18 (Girl, backflip, transmission lines)
    Least Favorite: 3 (Shopping carts)

I also really like #1

94. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 6:55 pm #

Most Favorite: #10
    Least Favorite: #3

Why: # 10 Love the contrast between the human and the built environment. Also love the way the runner is framed by the shadow of the overpass.

#3 I just don’t get it – shopping carts and junk? Colors aren’t even that remarkable.

95. Bryan Bloebaum September 2, 2008 at 6:56 pm #

#30 is my favorite. I love the lighting and the shadow cast on the wall. A well planned shot to be sure.

My least favorite is #4. A couple of mannequins lit with a ring light just doesn’t do much for me.

96. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 7:12 pm #

Most Favourit = 25
    Least favourite = 4

why number 25 as my most favourit – it shows Action and has a very diffrent look and perspective to it the lighting also set up niceley which draws the person looking at the picture in.

why number 4 is my least favourit – well it seems like theres not much action and it almost appears like a deer in the headlights shot dont get me wrong tho…your work is amazing and i like all the pictures you take theres just somthing about this one that my eye doesent catch. either way you are an amazing photographer! keep up the great work.

97. Jan Klier September 2, 2008 at 7:13 pm #

Favorite: #10
    Least favorite: #3

why:

#10: Nice clean image, with a clearly visible main subject that you immediately want to construct a story around – what is going through the persons’ mind? Sense of tension and calmness at the same time. Good spatial composition, doesn’t make my eye bounce around, though everything adds to the picture.

#3: Looks the most like a snapshot. The most purpose I could see in the composition is that the car is totally boxed in front/back, but that isn’t obvious until one wants to find a purpose in the image.

98. Kevin Coloton September 2, 2008 at 7:17 pm #

+ #11
    - #4

99. Travis Jon Allison September 2, 2008 at 7:19 pm #

#18 is the best – so much to see, so much depth

#20 is my least favourite. It seams very static for a CJ portrait.

100. Matt Rupp September 2, 2008 at 7:23 pm #

My favorite was the mannequin in front of the commuter. I didn’t care for the ringflash mannequins.

I love how the commuter mannequin draws in the eye and the people are an underexposed blur.

101. Scott D. Coulter September 2, 2008 at 7:34 pm #

Least Favorite: #4, those naked, partial manikins are just disturbing.

Most Favorite: #26, possibly because I used to play a ton of foosball, but also because of the dramatic mood and the sense of “calm before the storm” of their preparations for the game.

Close second for least fave is #29 (because I KNOW you’ve got better snowboard pics than that) and for most fave #24 (scene straight out of a movie–makes me wanna know the rest of the story).

102. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 7:44 pm #

Favourite: #31
    Least Favourite: #12

Why: #12 has less of a story, doensn’t evoke the envy goose-bumps that I get from your other images.
    #31 is full of emotion.

103. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 7:56 pm #

Favorite: #10 or #11.

Least favorite: #8

Why: 10 and 11 because I’m a minimalist (sorry I can’t choose). Maybe #15 for that, too. As for #8: I just don’t get it. Why put an out-of-focus shot in your port unless it’s striking in some other way?

104. Jonathan Tramontana September 2, 2008 at 8:03 pm #

Most fav – 18, the second layer of interest with the guy jumping in the background makes you stop and look. It’s not a photo that you just glance at. Plus, it’s pretty badass that he can do a standing backflip.
    Least fav – 3, looks like a snapshot of something not out of the ordinary.

105. Christopher Arata September 2, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

Favorite: #24
    Least favorite: #31

Why: #24 is my favorite because it is Cinematic in a sense, visually striking & I think it would grab ones attention if it were used for a jeans add. #31 is the least favorite, why I respect the effort at what was attempted, I think you missed the mark. The flares are reminiscent of an anamorphic type lens flare you see in films, except to punchy in the middle. I think a streak filter would help that. I would also like to see more of the models face. I think you should continue however to expand on this style.

106. Anonymous September 2, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

Top Favorite: 22
    Least Favorite: 07

22 is a great photo simple but with impact

07 not much of my liking because of the post it doesn’t do any justice to the photo -and I take the liberty to say that far too many people is using this style of post be careful chase!…-

Eduar

107. shaun. September 2, 2008 at 8:33 pm #

Most Favorite: #11
    Least Favorite: #15

Why: 11 resonates with me on an individual basis. Being forgotten as the world passes me by.

#15 just brings out a “um. really?” gut response from me.

108. Marian y Minkel September 2, 2008 at 8:47 pm #

Most Favorite: # 10
    Least Favorite: #15

I like #10 because the effect of the runner going trough the “giant door-shape of light” under the avenue/ramp.

Don’t like #15, it’s pretty basic comparing to the other photos.

By the way, I just found you website a week ago and it’s one of my favorites.

Saludos,
    M.

109. Cyril September 2, 2008 at 8:57 pm #

Favorite: 26. Love the implied battle that’s going to happen.

Least: #2. Clipped face, clipped board. I get where you’re going, but just not for me.

110. Mark September 2, 2008 at 9:09 pm #

least 4
    most 7

111. Mark Jensen September 2, 2008 at 9:10 pm #

Favorite: 10
    Least: 3

All are great pictures. I think of Chase Jarvis as active people. A stack of shopping carts, though interesting, doesn’t say Chase Jarvis.

112. Black English September 2, 2008 at 9:26 pm #

Favorite:#10 – It shows you exactly what running is all about. Just you and the pavement. Regardless of our surroundings when you run its just you, nobody else.

Least Favorite:#28 – I don’t get power lines. Maybe if a bird was getting zapped I might be interested.

113. O' Great One September 2, 2008 at 9:32 pm #

Thing one: #22 … simple, powerful … simply powerful. Shows deep artistic eye, hints at commercial prowess. Close second for Thing one: #15 for same reasons above … ingeniously simple and incredibly bold. You see something I would never had noticed then present it to me through your eye and WOW!

Thing two: #3 – I saw it behind the Kmart but never took notice. Even with your amazing eye, I still can’t see it. #14 is a close second. (Although I really loved riding in that thing, back-facing seat, older brother making me use my bear to”flip the bird” at shocked passer-by).

But all that said, it’s not an art show, it’s a business focus (correct?) and in that case, it matters mostly the palette of photos you put together for your target.

You are a talented team C J Inc. I’ll have to drop in someday while in Seattle.

- Paul

114. Stephanie Fletcher September 2, 2008 at 9:33 pm #

(#1- Very Romantic!)

Most favorite: #24
    Least favorite: #12

Why:
    #24- Actions speak louder than words. Genius!

#12- Are you sure it’s yours?

115. Stephanie Fletcher September 2, 2008 at 9:33 pm #

(#1- Very Romantic!)

Most favorite: #24
    Least favorite: #12

Why:
    #24- Actions speak louder than words. Genius!

#12- Are you sure it’s yours?

116. Mike Asencio September 2, 2008 at 9:35 pm #

least fav # 9 (dove)
    Favor Fav# 5 in portfolio & 16 in Stevens Pass

#9 Dove pic bothers me that part of the wing is out of the frame.

#5 Is just cool, makes me want to look at the way it was taken. I think maybe the subject is aggresive and kung fu fighting and at the same time I also think that subject is just chillin and dancing..(Mona Lisa?)
    #16 in stevens pass is the one pic that I spent the most time looking at,to me it captures my imagination for more than 3 seconds… there's a lot going on and yet it's simple.

I consider every image in your website as part of your portfolio, I'm sure editors& prospective clients will wander into other areas of your site to make their decisions. Heck who knows, maybe they would just skip your portfolio section and go straight for your campaigns. any ways good luck, and thanks for contributing to our community!
    Mike

117. epoxybrain September 2, 2008 at 9:41 pm #

Most fave: 18
    Least fave: 8

Why: 18 is interesting, engaging and feels real versus staged. There’s chaos, contrast and texture, and then the backflip. It’s the “wha…?” that makes it go to eleven. 20 was a close runner up because it’s such a direct shot. It’s almost x-ray vision on the poor guy.

Least fave for me was 8, because there’s not enough happening. This surprised me, because I love the outta focus shots. Just nothing held me.

118. Martin Wolf September 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm #

Most Favorite: #24
    I haven’t seen something like this before. I like the action and the idea. When I’m looking at the photo, i really get involved.

Least Favorite: #4
    It doesn’t speak to me. I can’t get anything out of it, looks not nice to me and the story it do not understand.

119. Raji Barbir September 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm #

Hey Chase,

I feel silly having to look at your work with a more critical eye instead of the usual drooling, but maybe sometime you can critique my work hmm? :D

Ok, for me, #1 is by far my favorite. As for why, maybe it’s a phase of mine right now, but I love the natural look of the shot. It’s beautifully composed, feels very natural and casual, the color palette has a nostalgic air to it and the lighting is very in your face and beautiful.

My least favorite is #4. I don’t find that there’s much to look at. I’m not crazy about the lighting either. It’s not eccentric enough to make me uncomfortable (which would be great considering you cut off 2 human beings’ arms! Ok I know they’re not real but still) and it’s not mundane enough to be beautiful.

Ok, hopefully I haven’t burned a bridge here :)

Thanks for the inspiration and especially for sharing the process behind the scenes.

Raji

120. Dan September 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm #

I like 10
    But don’t like 3.

The runner under the bridge is just an amazing capture from my perspective. For me, it completely captures the wonderful solitude that you can find in a run. Just her, or you, or me running in the light under a bridge in the middle of a city with no one else around. Such fleeting moments of contradiction, and sometimes moments where everything seems to come together and mesh for an instant have made me laugh aloud as I ran. It’s an amazing, indescribable experience that I hope isn’t limited to runners. To me, #10 kind-of hints at such moments.

18 made me look twice. I like that, and I guess that’s what 3 didn’t do for me.

121. Entropy September 2, 2008 at 10:53 pm #

Least – Grey CityScape
    A bit busy, no striking subject.

Most – Fooseball
    Dramatic, dynamic, simple, yet effective.

122. Juha Ylitalo September 2, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

My favorite was #26. It might be just a silly ball game for some, but these guys are taking it very seriously with all the stretching etc.

I would drop #3, because it looks like snapshot from Wal-Mart’s backyard or something. (There was probably whole lot more involved in getting this photograph, but since you were interested about gut feelings, etc.)

123. ricklohre September 2, 2008 at 10:58 pm #

I am loving # 1 and 11 but 17 stands out as my absolute fav Chase shot. It says lifestyle, action, and oozes with your style.

#1, well, I think it's a really cool whimsical perspective on riding in the back seat with your chica! :)

#11 because I like the motion and eerie feeling I get when I look at this photo…makes me think of a HERO's – esque type of moment. Not that I get to watch much TV!

#17, because I look at that shot ang get the feeling that I'm there, sun peeking past her head and I wish I had my glasses, but oops, I left them at the house. Oh well, come on let's get out of the car and hit the trail…

I am not loving # 3 and 15

#3 because it just doesn't strike me as you (maybe that's why it's there>)…while 5 football tackling sleds piled up with 13 shopping carts and a couple of drainage pipes is cool, just not what I think of when I think of your photography.
    #15 because I just don't really get much from the top of a tree ;) Sorry…

Thanks for asking. Peace.

124. Sean September 2, 2008 at 11:00 pm #

Most Favorite: #18
    Least Favorite: #3

#18 – It caught me off guard. I thought it was just another pretty face picture and I skipped past it, but the guy in the background caught my eye and made me go back. Nice.

#3 – Lacks shape, form, emotion or message. It’s just a pile of shopping carts…

125. Rick Lohre September 2, 2008 at 11:04 pm #

OK too funny…so I have to believe you put #3 out there some time ago to get a reaction…I’ve thought that ever since it made it onto the new site.
    After going back and reading other peeps comments after throwing mine in, I see it’s not just me! LOL
    Peace,
    Rick

126. Davidoff September 2, 2008 at 11:39 pm #

Like: 24
    Dislike: 20

127. Mich September 2, 2008 at 11:50 pm #

Hi,

hard to choose. After 3 attempts definitely:

Fav – 1st (and 10,18,24,26,29 – sorry can't stand =})

Completely ignore – 3rd (and few other P&S; like =)

128. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 12:07 am #

most fave #18 (the detail in the back right)
    least fave #29 (like a deer in headlights before running over)

129. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 12:16 am #

130. Knobi September 3, 2008 at 12:26 am #

Most Favorite #1

Least Favorite # 29

131. Mr. September 3, 2008 at 12:38 am #

Just the facts:

Most favorite: 24
    Least favorite: 31

Marcello

132. Dave September 3, 2008 at 12:47 am #

Fav: #25 – I Love the energy in this frame and the contrast in the model’s poses coupled with the lighting that creates a certain mystery about the models.

Non Fav: #2 – Just dosent do it for me, it doesnt grab my attention immediately

If your interested I had to choose my favourite from a few images being: 18 5 8 24 30

133. Johan September 3, 2008 at 12:53 am #

# 1 is number one! Don’t loose it!

134. Elena and Martin September 3, 2008 at 12:59 am #

Most Favorite: #1
    Least Favorite: #2

Why:
    #1 nice warm atmosphere
    #2 very plain car in background that distracts me

135. mario rosselli September 3, 2008 at 1:22 am #

Hi mister Jarvis,
    your pictures i like the most are the outdoor/ sport ones, where the wide angle view makes you feel like you are in the image/ in the nature… personally i vote for #17

i’m not so anti- american but after Irak war and “oil- peak” i prefere to not see the pictures with the american flag or some big cars… i associate this 2 things with negative feelings. So #12 is for me the last favorite.

Thanks for showing us your great work, mario rosselli

136. Niklas Morberg September 3, 2008 at 1:29 am #

Favorite: #10
    Least: #13

137. Per September 3, 2008 at 1:33 am #

Most favorite: 2 or 6
    Least favorite: 20

Why: love the sense of motion and the feeling that this is the split second before something happens. Don’t get #20.

138. Tariq September 3, 2008 at 1:52 am #

Most favorite: #10
    Least favorite: #28

139. Panos September 3, 2008 at 2:00 am #

Least favourite #2. Doesn’t really say anything to me.

Most favourite, don’t know, quite a few of them, probably #18. Something about the landscape and the guy upside down in the background.

:-)

140. hamvas.balint September 3, 2008 at 2:01 am #

most favourite: 18
    why? I really like the portrait itself, but the jumping lad in the background really got me thinking, it’s brilliant.
    least favourite: 27

141. Veiko September 3, 2008 at 2:22 am #

favorite: #9 – for me it tells a story
    didn’t like as much: #13

142. torfroy September 3, 2008 at 3:02 am #

Favorite #18
    Least Favorite #2

#2 Messy background. Looks too much like an unplanned shot.
    #18 I like the perspective and the subtle story, wich is very open ended

143. Luis September 3, 2008 at 3:05 am #

Favorite: 25
    Least Favorite: 17

144. Christian Davies September 3, 2008 at 3:16 am #

Most Fav #7 – So many questions about it. Probably least American feel to it.

Least Fav #4 – Find the light off putting but the subject interesting.

Opinions – The one thing everybody has to give but nobody wants to receive, well rarely anyway.

145. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 3:16 am #

least=15
    most=18

Not much going on in 15, just a blue sky. 18 is somehow a very powerful photo. Power lines and skyscrapers really add to it. I don’t think the small jumping figure in background is even essential.

146. JR September 3, 2008 at 3:24 am #

Fave-number 26

Captures a moment nicely with superb lighting

Least fave-number 8

Because It made me think I’d had too much to drink last night…

Also number 15-prime candidate for the round file-I could write a book about why this image doesn’t cut it.

Just my humble opinion. As for the person who suggests all except one photo in your folio are ‘shit’… I think they need to go to specsavers !!

147. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 4:13 am #

Most Favorite: 22
    Least Favorite: 8

I understand what you where trying to go for with 8, but it just didn’t with turn out the best.

148. jase September 3, 2008 at 4:44 am #

most: 10
    because it reminds me of a Nike ad… Just do it.

least: 13
    looks like a holiday snap with no thought behind it… nicely color graded though.

149. shashank September 3, 2008 at 4:56 am #

Most Favorite: #10
    Lot of things to look at and the shadow play

Least Favorite: #23
    Basic portrait

150. david September 3, 2008 at 4:57 am #

Most Favorite 29
    Least Favorite 08-07

I like your campaıgns shots if I was your editör I was labeled campaigns as a portfolio portfolio as a personals..

I am not so artsy guy I like the picture perfect

151. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 5:03 am #

Most Favorite: #18
    Least Favorite: #02

I am British and so image #02 is unremarkable, dont get me wrong NOTHING about your work is unremarkable, this image is just everyday life here to me.

number #18 is simply beautiful then made me laugh out loud seeing the character upsidedown…so out of place and it works so well.

152. Terrence September 3, 2008 at 5:10 am #

Least is #3, because I keep asking myself “Why?”, and I can’t answer. Why did he take this? Why am I supposed to care about or be moved by this picture? It’s a snapshot without context or emotion for me.

Most is #10, because I love the well-placed window-shaped light on the runner and the non-traditional angle and setting. I see a runner’s passion for a sport and their own health. I feel like I’m getting a glimpse into their life.

153. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 5:20 am #

Like 1 & 24
    Don't like 3, 4, 28

154. elp September 3, 2008 at 5:20 am #

Fav 18, marvelous colours shot into the sun, would be a great portrait on its own but you get a but more if you look closer with the dude doing the back flip. Love it and it seems to have a bit more of you in it

Least fav 15. Looks like a test shot to look for dust on you sensor

155. maria September 3, 2008 at 5:21 am #

favorite: no 8 and no 6

least favorite: 13

numbers 8 and 6 and just amazing shots, the kind of amazing you cant always explain – they tell a story and draw me in, but number 13, i dont know, it just doesn’t do anything for me, i would hurry past it without taking note.

156. Bill September 3, 2008 at 5:48 am #

I really like 1, 5, 11, and 24.

1: you can almost feel the excitement of a summertime road trip. The young, attractive carefree girl and the photog along for the ride.

5: Love the processing on this and the angle that he’s at. You just look at it and think badass. What does this photo have to do with Apple? Nothing, but it doesn’t matter. It makes me want to buy an ipod when I see that ad.

11: Really like the long exposure of the people in the background combined with the processing done on the subject. It def gives the feeling of “in your own world” or perhaps “just living your life while the world goes on on around you.” it really catches my attention.

24: This picture would never need a caption. The young couple thought they were alone and started to have some fun only to have the Toyota drive up on them. The excitement of the situation is shown through his gaze towards the SUV, both of their clenched muscles, and the sand flying everywhere.

I think that 13 and 28 look poor in subject, composition and technique. I’d scratch them from the port.

157. Petr Boháček September 3, 2008 at 5:48 am #

Most favourite: #10
    Lot of details, story of lonely city runner behind picture, little bit apocalyptic.

Least favourite: #1, #3, #9, #13, #17, #18, #19, #20, #25, #26, #28
    Reasons: poor quality or missing some story behind the picture.

158. letoulat sylvain September 3, 2008 at 5:54 am #

hy

most favorite:30 and 22
    Least favorite: 02

composition and colors for the 30, poesie for the 22… great!

159. John Jacobsen September 3, 2008 at 5:56 am #

Most Favorite: #10
    Least Favorite: #3

#10 – To me, this image tells a story – someone getting up early in the morning and working hard, trying to accomplish something when everyone else is asleep. I love the size and scale of it also.

#3 – I’m sure the fact that I’ve been a huge fan of your work for a couple of years contributes to not liking this – it’s just so boring in comparison to some of your other shots.

160. jeff September 3, 2008 at 6:03 am #

Most Favorite is #10
    Least Favorites is #20

Reasons #10, its my style of photography that raw street urban feel, its got wonderful light and great texture to the image. It makes you feel alone and at home at the same time.

Reasons #20, while all the technical aspects are there (composition and light) I am assuming this is a ring light and just doesnt draw me in as an image as a whole.

Jeff

161. Trevor September 3, 2008 at 6:10 am #

+ 10 or 29

- 20

162. Niveus Apparel September 3, 2008 at 6:28 am #

First of all its really hard to pick any image of yours to not be a favorite!

Favorite: #11
    It all works. The motion, the blown out highlights, the GREEN. it’s great.

Least Favorite: #14
    I feel like it’s not a very dynamic shot and anyone with a point and shoot could have taken it.

163. Rick Koetter September 3, 2008 at 6:34 am #

This is HAARRDD:

Most Favorite: #26
    Least Favorite: #08

Reason: #26 made me chuckle out loud. Aside from being an interesting visual, it is funny. #08 bothers me when I look at it. I am not a fan of soft images where nothing is in focus. Maybe I’m missing something?

164. Javie September 3, 2008 at 6:53 am #

fav #1

Least Fav #3

#1 Just feels good

#3 Make no sense to me

165. Johan A September 3, 2008 at 7:01 am #

Favorits: #18 #19 #24

Least favorits: #31 #23 #3

166. Stephen Hunton September 3, 2008 at 7:07 am #

Fav – 26 – it’s just funny and well shot
    Least fav – 7 – blah

BTW – I basically love every shot in your profile, but 7. had a hard time not choosing the desert chase as my fav.

167. Yoni September 3, 2008 at 7:23 am #

Favorite is #30
    least favorite is #15

168. Nick Jungels September 3, 2008 at 7:27 am #

Like: #26
    Dislike: #31

Why –
    #26 balances many opposites. The dark / light balance, the serious tone of the light with “a game”, stretching for a workout before a recreational activity.

#31 Just doesn’t work for me. I feel that it’s supposed to be dynamic, but to me feels static.

169. Travis September 3, 2008 at 7:31 am #

My favorite is 26
    My least favorite is either 3 or 14.

26 is creative and shows character and creativity. I think your clients look at that more than anything else when they thumb through your portfolio.

While 3 and 14 may have been inspiring, interesting shots when you took them, to me they seem like anyone could have just gone out and taken them.

In today’s world when any teenager can pick up a Canon rebel and go out and shoot available light, it seems to me that you need to showcase some of your shots that were more difficult to capture.

You’re a pretty sick photographer, though. Thanks for letting us pretend to talk down to you.

170. Robin Sarac September 3, 2008 at 7:31 am #

Favourite: 7

I really like the colors and the guy just looks…lost. Or maybe fed up. It’s just a great picture!

Least Favourite: 4

This one just looks like you tried too hard to make an interesting picture. Don’t care for it.

171. Bradley Spitzer September 3, 2008 at 7:34 am #

Favorites:
    #5 – Strong energy.
    #16 – Simple and stunning; child-like.
    #24 – Slice o’ life feel.

Least Favorite:
    #7 – Not your best. Simply stated but true.

Can’t wait to see the new work in your portfolio. Stunning, as always.

172. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 7:38 am #

favorite #25
    least #2, #3, #4

#25 is cool, unique
    The others look like snapshots. (sorry dude)

173. Mark Byrne photographer September 3, 2008 at 7:41 am #

Such an inspirational portfolio.

Least Fav #8

most fav #10

Why :- 8 nice colours and texture, my eyes can’t find anything to focus on its lost on me i’m afraid.

10 – amazing photo. the feeling of running alone and having as much space in the middle of a city as in the countyside. I’d buy this, hang it on the wall and never et tired of looking at it.

Chase – you’re a legend – keep rocking.

174. Michelle Nolan September 3, 2008 at 7:41 am #

Hey Chase,
    How’s it going? Haven’t checked out your site in awhile, but I must say, awesome new work/portfolio! I love how the new site seems rawer, looser and there’s a realness that wasn’t there before. Just my 2 cents.

My most fav is #3. Not only is it a cool shot (whether it was captured or produced), but I think it has some deeper commentary on our society. I think the color is fabulous too.

My least fav is #20 not because I think it’s terrible, but because it lacks the kind of emotion or thoughtfulness that’s prevalent in your other work.

Hope all is well and say hi to Kate for me.

175. Sandi September 3, 2008 at 7:43 am #

ok. 3, 4, and 13. although conceptual, they don’t hold any hutzpah. 5 and 30 however are KEY. never get rid of these. these are classic chase jarvis.

thanks for the interaction.

176. Sandi September 3, 2008 at 7:43 am #

thanks for the interaction.

177. Louis Jiran September 3, 2008 at 7:48 am #

Most favoite: #05
    Least favorite: #20

Hello Chase, I had a few favorites, but for initial impact #05 had it! Color, action, lighting, your use of wide-angle.

My least favorite #20 had negative impact for me. Although the framing was good, the flat lighting and the clients expression gave me a negative feeling. Almost like he didn’t want his portrait made.

178. Isaac Miller September 3, 2008 at 7:55 am #

ahhh….Here we go

Most Favorite:#24
    Least Favorite:#28

#24 is such an engaging shot….where are they? are they in trouble? what were they doing? who is in the car?

#28 leaves me with a feeling of huh? lighting and editing are great but no connection to the viewer imho.

179. Chip Wyly September 3, 2008 at 8:09 am #

+ #15
    - #31

180. Urs September 3, 2008 at 8:13 am #

love: 17
    hate: 3

I like you image with people in them, and the blown out sky is a nice touch.

3 doesn’t really tell me anything, at first glance its just a random snapshot.

181. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 8:22 am #

#1 brings up so many feelings and emotions in me that I have to pick it as my favorite. It could tell so many stories. Wow…wow.

#31 is my least fav. I like to look at it and try to pick apart how you did it, but it doesn’t say anything to me.

182. Cody September 3, 2008 at 8:25 am #

Most Favorite: #24
    Least Favorite: #3

I love #24 because it has soo much action and drama in the image. It makes you ask yourself what is going on.

#3 doesn’t bring up any emotions and looses my attention quickly

183. Pedro Flávio September 3, 2008 at 8:27 am #

Most Favorite: #29
    Least Favorite: #9

Best Regards from Portugal

184. Steven N Fettig September 3, 2008 at 8:29 am #

1st Love #10: First thought that came to mind: “I wanna’ be there.” I’m biased because I love running in the city, though. (I’m a country boy and love the grit of the city when running, but this pic combines both for me.)
    2nd Love #7: Calm, feeling of normalcy. Real.
    Dislike #2: This was hard. I’m torn on this because on one hand I want the skateboarder in focus and on the other, I understand why he isn’t.

That assignment wiped me out.

185. Rob Jaudon September 3, 2008 at 8:30 am #

Chase,

First off your site and work rock. I look to you for inspiration as you are always pushing the boundaries.

This is a hard choice…

Most Favorite: #5
    Least favorite: #9

Why:
    #5 – It just rocks. It’s urban, it’s style, it’s striking all in one.

#9 It was just blah for me. Still a good photo but just blah for me.

186. Reid September 3, 2008 at 8:44 am #

Best: Tie between 10 & 16.

10 is one of a kind and shows true vision. Can't image anyone else pulling that off.

I looked the longest at 16, it has the most stopping power for me.

Worst: 21. Too basic, seems like a tourist photo… Doesn't scream "Hire Me!" like the others do.

187. AA September 3, 2008 at 8:49 am #

Most: #30
    Least: #15

188. Reflections by the Hill September 3, 2008 at 8:52 am #

Most Favorite: #30
    Least Favorite: #8

I love #30 because of seeing the boy jumping and having fun. That was my first reaction. My next reaction was enjoying the shadow that was created by the boy. I would like to jump like that again.

I do not like #8 because I was not able to focus on the subject. This was my first reaction. My next reaction is that it made my eyes hurt.

189. Ben Hutchings September 3, 2008 at 9:02 am #

#8/- just don’t feel it

#11/++ For obvious reasons

#13/+ Love the colors and the feeling immediately upon viewing. Its fast cold and almost like a silent suspense.

190. sergio Ballivian September 3, 2008 at 9:18 am #

least favorite # 8
    most favorite # 24

# 8 is just out of focus and does not stand up – neither technically nor energy-wise

# 24 feels for real, of course it’s staged, but the pulse of the photo makes me laugh.

thanks for sharing your passion and energy

peace

Sergio

191. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 9:22 am #

Alright, looks like you made it this far which means either

1. it’s a slow day in the office . . .doubtful
    2. you’re a glutton for punishment . . .or self improvment
    3. you read bottom to top

I know you said pick one of each but can you honestly say you have only one favorite in your portfolio . . . ?

Least favorites: #4,8,13 (break out the tissues, this might hurt a little)

4: Kinda a red herring in your portfolio, I would showcase the rest of your amazing work

8: Ummmm….why is this here at all. As a part of an artistic series I could see it having some validity…in the current context, not so much.

13: Hi I’m Chase Jarvis, I take pictures from my car…. (in your defense #1 is a great shot inside your car). 13 just seems to be an aside that is filler in a group of great images.

Most Favorite: #24,26,30 (now for the good news)

24: Tells a story right away, you feel that fear of running from that car. By not having the talents faces in the shot you forces the viewer to focus solely on their body language and the BG. Great shot.

26: This is just a sweet concept that shows your out of the box thinking (stretching before foosball !). I personally think this should be earlier on in your porfolio (1-10)

30: Great lighting, something new and different that says professional photographer.

You made it this far. You do have a great portfolio, I would just reshuffle it so you have your best images first to ensure that you hook the viewer immediately. Keep in mind I’m just a photo student with a big mouth. -Kurtis

192. Brian Jones September 3, 2008 at 9:39 am #

I have nominated two for each category. When I look at a photo I feel it or I don’t.

faves: blurry beach shot and chairs (I felt these images immediately and could see the emotions you are trying to evoke.)

least faves: skater blurred, snowy paris. I see no connection or understanding at all between the photographer and the subject in these two shots. I know you are a deep dude, chase. But it just doesn’t come through on these.

193. kamilos September 3, 2008 at 9:39 am #

#8 the worst (out of focus)
    #24 the best (extremely dynamic)

cheers,
    Kamil http://www.kamilos.net

194. Teddy September 3, 2008 at 9:40 am #

Youve really ask for some mix feedback on this blog Chase. Good luck deciding

Gut instinct: #7
    Reason: after reading your blog through my email, this was the first image that pop into my head before looking through your portfolio. Visually, its not the most simulating: lights, graphics etc, but anyone can see that you have captured some kind of story behind this one image.

Favorite: #24
    Reason: Kind of like my first choice, but this one is visually simulating. Lighting, concept, and capture is amazing. Reminds me of what I see from commercial images.

Least Favorite: #20
    Ive gone through all your images, and this one give me no vibe to it. I dont know what to say about it and it doesnt make me think of anything.

195. harry September 3, 2008 at 9:43 am #

best #01
    worst #02

196. PhoebeT September 3, 2008 at 9:50 am #

This is an incredible opportunity to comment here… Thanks for including us.

fav #1
    leaset #3

197. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 9:52 am #

Thanks for allowing us into your process.

Strongly love: #1
    Don’t get it: #4

198. Joe Moffett September 3, 2008 at 9:53 am #

Favorite: 9 (the stop sign if they’re separated – but together they hint at freedom)
    Least Favorite: 5 (kinda too hard for me personally – not much to think about – other than “stop kicking me” :-) )

199. vinaydeep September 3, 2008 at 9:57 am #

most favorite: 31
    least favorite: 13

13 isint a landscape nor has an interesting subject. having reflections on the glass dosent seem to qualify as modern artform either.

31 is a brilliant combination of action, lighting and colors.

200. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 9:58 am #

Not to kiss your ass, but you’ve got a real solid aesthetic. Most of the work here is on a unified message

#1, 2, 3 Cool. I like the carts, unlike many others here…

Perhaps off message: 31

Thanks for the opportunity to comment on your work!

201. Michael Carney September 3, 2008 at 10:03 am #

most favorite: 22
    least favorite: 20

Why:
    #22 stopped me. I was scrolling through your portfolio just getting a first impression (about 2 seconds per shot) and this picture made my mouse pause. The simplicity of the elements combined with the minimization effect of the selective focus just really appeals to my eye.

#20 my initial impression is “wow, what a boring portrait.” the not so exciting wall, combined with the not so exciting expression, combined with the flat light just really didn’t sit well with me.

202. Patrick September 3, 2008 at 10:04 am #

Best #1
    Worst #28

203. angus thomas September 3, 2008 at 10:06 am #

Most Fav:30
    Least fav: 2

Why? 2 is the sort of shot the picture taker gets excited about but loses everyone. 30 looks crafted and is a great shot with lots to wonder about.

204. Isaac Lane Koval September 3, 2008 at 10:11 am #

favorite: #30
    Least favorite: #20

I really like #30 because of the shadow on the crates and the rain coming down. I’m still trying to figure out how the shadow ended up on those crates from where the light was shot.

As always, amazing work!

205. Rick September 3, 2008 at 10:31 am #

Actually picked my fav/least-fav before reading other comments. Amazing the breadth of perspective. The other obvious thing is that it is hard to have either a singular fav or to denigrate any to a least fav, but here goes.

FAV=#5. Very consistent with a thread that flows thru much of your work, namely motion juxtaposed against something static, with an even more obvious strong sense of moment. Geometry of Fg & Bg lines, each having its own distinct sense. Really appreciate the inclusion (even thru post) of the yellow & black conspicuity tapes, the diagonal lines rhyming the movement of the body and legs. Cross lighting adds tension to more conventional lit Bg. In an ideal world, I would have liked to see the R arm visible from behind the leg, and perhaps a more dominant shadow on the HL'ed ground.

Least Fav = #1. Obvious mastery of an eye within an eye. Blown out areas and contrast obviously steer the viewer to the model's eye behind shades reflecting a camera behind the eye of the photog'er. Visually stunning, placing the viewer in the cam position. But it is exactly this that makes it my least fav, namely that the "action" or "moment" of the shot is that of being photographed. As such, it puts too much emphasis on the photog'er and less on the model.

If I could get a 3rd vote, it would be for a tie for FAV, that being #11. There is so much going on in this photo – truly masterful how it was composed. Studded overhead I-beams giving perspective to headless model with headphones. No feet on model but legs and feet on transient ghosts, whose feet are all placed at about the same position, parallel to the knees – all aligned vertically with crumpled pants. No wheels on train mirrors no feet on model. Unrecognizable passengers & 2 recognizable "waiting" heads, one reflected in glass, 2nd shadowed against the train. Use of limited saturation and color gamut keeps a visually complex image simple.

Can you tell I'm a fan of your work?

Rick from Saint Paul

206. TranceMist September 3, 2008 at 10:31 am #

Favorite: 24 – imaginative, suggestive and funny… makes you think

29 – second fav

Least Favorite:
    Unfortunately, you have quite a few that are just unappealing and boring.
    I was disappointed when I first saw your portfolio.

These are the ones that make me wonder what you saw in them to put them up to begin with:

28 – ugly. i hate power lines too, but why put in your portfolio?

The videos on your blog rock.

Good luck.

207. Adi September 3, 2008 at 10:36 am #

hot #24
    not #21

hot 24, because it is a picture that makes you “wow” and let’s you think. There is not just one, there are many possible messages inside!

not 21, because it’s just like a snapshot in holidays ^^

208. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 10:42 am #

Favorite: 10
    Least Favorite: 13

#10 just has the wow effect, interesting and very strong mood.

#13 I don’t get it… sorry
    same goes for the following images: 02, 03, 06, 13, 15, 24, 27, and 31.

On the other hand # 01, 10, and 17 are amazing.

209. Andy September 3, 2008 at 10:49 am #

Most favorite: 15 (greenish sky w/tree top) why – its totally different from everything else and its powerful in it’s simplicity.

dud: 03 (plastic carts) why – I just can’t get past the main subject – I’m not sure why it is that I hate those carts.

I think its badass that you opened this one up.

Best of luck.

Andy

210. mike September 3, 2008 at 10:50 am #

This was very hard to do but I tried…
    Most Favorite: #22
    Least Favorite: #17

#22 I found myself looking at it for a while not even a screaming child could take my attention away from it…

211. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 10:51 am #

Favorite: #1
    Least favorite: #12 (I have never understood why this photo is in your otherwise astonishing portfolio!)

212. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 11:06 am #

Favorite is #10
    Least favorite is #3

Hard choice on the favs.

Dave

213. cw September 3, 2008 at 11:07 am #

#1 and #24 stick out for me. Hard to pin down a least favorite.

214. Jacob September 3, 2008 at 11:17 am #

I know you said pick ONE, but since when have I followed direction?

My favorites (leave ‘em in) are:
    26 – Streching and foosball is great
    24 – I like the action
    11 – Again, action combined with stillness. Great Crop too.

My least favorites are:
    3 – Just no feeling. I got bored and skipped right by
    6 – I don’t like the blur, I feel the car chase of this same series is better, no need to have two
    28 – Looks like my vacation snapshots, where I love the idea of converging lines and space… and never quite works out the way I want.

215. John Leonard Photography September 3, 2008 at 11:24 am #

Favorite #10, why? I love the isolation, it shows determination, going it alone, the American spirit. Runner-up #26, Game-on Wayne!

Least Favorite #3, I just don’t get it, Sad on my part maybe, but the old football hit sled just seems way out of place.

216. spy September 3, 2008 at 11:26 am #

Favorite = 24
    (couple running from car on dune)
    -its a great shot technically, but i love the story within it. i stopped and though “whoah, whats going on here?” i like the shots that make me think

Least Fav = 4
    (mannequins)
    I dont care for this cause it seems a bit empty of though. Its just a ring light blasted at mannequins with a cool wall in the background. you cant really make up to much of an interesting theory for whats going on. the photo just doesnt catch the eye. i think details like color and texture capture half the eye and the story catches the rest….

thanks for sharing, chase

217. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 11:35 am #

Least favourite? toss up between #4 and #7
    Favourite? almost all others, maybe #28 since I’m in a green vs power-hungry frame of mind

218. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 11:40 am #

Most Favorite: #16 love it !
    Least favorite: #14 don`t like

219. billsallans September 3, 2008 at 11:52 am #

My least favorite is #3 because it looks like a random grab shot, and it doesn’t strengthen your portfolio.

My favorite is #10 because I love the use of that location, and that shot always sticks out in my mind.

I love the Stevens Pass project. keep up the good work.

220. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 12:13 pm #

My favorite is #16 – depth of colour and you have captured the movemnt perfectly. BTW, this was a tough decision.

I don’t dislike #8 and #15, they just don’t appeal to me.

221. Joe September 3, 2008 at 12:52 pm #

Most Favorite: #24

It gives me the heart pounding feeling, like it’s a frame out of a movie clip. Also the fact that you could not see people’s faces adds another dimension to the picture.

Least Favorite: #3

While the stacked up shopping carts looked cool at first look, there’s nothing catchy in the image, it feels empty, nothing intriguing about it, and I feel it doesn’t belong with the rest

222. Alan B. September 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm #

+11

223. Claude Angers September 3, 2008 at 1:02 pm #

Most: 10
    Least: 13

10 really speaks to me. A determined runner in a desolated city landscape. Great framing, immaculate timing. Awesome idea.

13 just seems like a snapshot with nothing that grabs my interest. Not something you will be remembered by.

224. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Favourite: #22 (Chairs)
    Least favourite: #03 (Shopping carts)

What I love about photography is that you get to see the world through somebody elses eyes, which probably sums up what I like and have no feelings for in these photos. #22, Does make me see simple things, but in a beautiful way, atleast it evokes that feeling in me. #03, well, to me it’s just plain empty, sorry. :)

-Ted

225. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 1:15 pm #

Most: #1 bright, spontaneous, honest
    Least: #28 it’s not a real jetpack Chase

226. paustin September 3, 2008 at 1:18 pm #

Least: 28 + 03. Both are actually kinda my normal gritty and sorta detached taste, but they don’t seem to scream Chase Jarvis to me.

Favorite: 10 by far.

227. Anonymous September 3, 2008 at 1:42 pm #

Least – #4 (Manequins freak me out)
    Most – #10 (I’m a runner)