TED + James Nachtwey: 37 Photos, 3 Minutes, Millions of Lives

Legendary photojournalist James Nachtwey sees his TED Prize wish come true, as we share his powerful photographs of XDR-TB, a new, drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis that’s touching off a global medical crisis.

Watch this video to see how a photographic master embeds himself passionately into a personal project. And to follow Nachtwey’s wishes, please share it with your friends and learn 3 vital ways to take action to stop XDR-TB. Click the ‘continue reading’ link below to learn more about this incredible man…

From TED.com:

For the past three decades, James Nachtwey has devoted himself to documenting wars, conflicts and critical social issues, working in El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Lebanon, the West Bank and Gaza, Israel, Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, the Philippines, South Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Rwanda, South Africa, Russia, Bosnia, Chechnya, Kosovo, Romania, Brazil and the United States.

Nachtwey has been a contract photographer with Time since 1984. However, when certain stories he wanted to cover — such as Romanian orphanages and famine in Somalia — garnered no interest from magazines, he self-financed trips there. He is known for getting up close to his subjects, or as he says, “in the same intimate space that the subjects inhabit,” and he passes that sense of closeness on to the viewer.

In putting himself in the middle of conflict, his intention is to record the truth, to document the struggles of humanity, and with this, to wake people up and stir them to action.

“Reticent about discussing his own life beyond the basic facts, he’s clearly one of those rare characters who focus singularly on their work with a missionary-like sense of purpose.” Salon.com

18 Responses to TED + James Nachtwey: 37 Photos, 3 Minutes, Millions of Lives

1. Bertrand October 4, 2008 at 10:55 am #

this video is no longer available :-) What a suspens!

2. Sally J October 4, 2008 at 11:14 am #

Hmm. I just tried it and it works fine. Emotive pictures and beautiful story telling. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Bertrand October 4, 2008 at 11:33 am #

This video is not available in your country??? F.Y.I., I live in Belgium. snif :-( Strange, no?

4. Andrew Strain October 4, 2008 at 11:39 am #

A friend of mine in Sweden told me the youtube video is unavailable; In Canada, I’ve had no issues viewing it at all.

You can download a 720p version on the XDRTB.org website: http://www.xdrtb.org/newsroomd.php

5. Bertrand October 4, 2008 at 12:10 pm #

Many Thx! that was the solution…

6. Serge October 4, 2008 at 1:14 pm #

I also posted an article on my blog about this subject. Extremely strong photographs!

7. Ivan Chertov October 5, 2008 at 2:13 am #

The video can be seen in the XDRTB.org site with better quality.

Great photographs.. Nachtway is a god!

8. admin October 5, 2008 at 12:03 pm #

James Nachtwey has been a very influential photographer in my life. The amount of dedication and commitment that man has put into his work is motivation just in it self. Then one sees the images that he produces and is shocked even more. He’s a great photographer, willing to put his life on the line to get the best shot that he’s possible to get. This is some of the first work that I have seen from him since he was wounded in Iraq. Glad to see him out shooting again.

9. Paul Bennett October 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm #

These photos really touch home, and show us what is going on in another world. While we walk in our day 2 day lives. The video is shocking but moving as you can tell the guy is very passionate.

10. Chase Jarvis October 5, 2008 at 6:17 pm #

Not only am I moved by his ability to tell a powerful story, I’m amazed at how you can feel Nachtwey’s passion for his work in the images. Very relevant to this blogs recent discussions on shooting what you love…

11. Lester October 5, 2008 at 6:55 pm #

Very moving images.
    The image of the nursing holding a patient on a bed reminds me of a photo from Eugene Smith’s book on Minamata.

12. Matt Dorroh October 6, 2008 at 6:27 am #

thank you so much for sharing!

13. Ivan Chertov October 6, 2008 at 12:23 pm #

It’s amazing how different people see stuff in an absolutely different way than others. The human mind is an amazing thing!
    I really respect people who can tell such stories in such excellent ways…
    I saw a movie about Annie Leibovitz, it was called Life Through A Lens… I don’t have words to describe her works… just wonderful… but what affected me most was actually that she could take incredibly good photographs at her best friend’s funeral…
    it seems to me that it’s quite hard to have any creative vision in such a moment…
    respect to all those people who have the power to show the world what they feel.. and to show it in a wonderful way!

14. Kingston Photo October 6, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

wow… thats really intense his photos are amazing!

15. Anton Laurentiu October 12, 2008 at 10:31 am #

I can’t see the video.

16. Nathanael Gassett October 19, 2008 at 7:41 pm #

Wow. Obviously amazing photos, but what I find even more inspiring is the reason behind the photos. Helping people. So many artists get caught up in themselves and don’t give a second glance to the state of the world, it’s refreshing to see a change in this trend. Fantastic work.

Godspeed,

_Nathanael

17. GreatBearhammer November 2, 2008 at 5:20 pm #

I love his work. I drove 200K to Stockholm just to shake his hand at the opening of Offerings in late September. He was just as quiet and humble as in the documentary made about him. His work and dedication is outstanding and very inspiring.

18. Lauren May 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm #

If you’re interested in this topic you’ll like this interview of James Nachtwey. NEED magazine spoke with him about his work with XDRTB.

Lauren