Visual Artist Rankings. Who is #1?

I was surprised to recently learn that, just like Hollywood celebs have their kooky mathematical rankings on “box office power” or whatever, visual artists are also apparently not immune to a ranking system. Over at Artfacts.Net, they seem to have a reasonably sophisticated algorithm that ranks heavy hitting visual artists. Andy Warhol is #1. There are two photographers in the top 20. Can you guess them? Click the ‘continue reading’ link below to find out and to see the top 50.

Cindy Sherman is number 7 and Andreas Gursky (love him) is #17. Shame on you to everyone who guessed Annie Leibovitz or Ansel Adams. Here’s the top 50:

Artfacts.net has the top 100 along with 191,000 artist biographies. Thanks to James for pointing this out via PDN. [BTW, James the note you put in your email with this link was quite funny: “Maybe we can rank Nobel Peace Prize winners next. Or dads. My dad is better than your dad. He makes more money.]

Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time selecting to go with WordPress.

I am glad to be a visitant of this utter website ! , thankyou for this rare info ! .

kigongo Isaac says:

HOW WILL GET MY ARTISTIC MOVEMENT GET KNOWN I LOVE WHAT YOU DO

I genuinely enjoy studying on this site, it holds fantastic articles .

I would trade in ALL of Andy Warhol’s work for a single da Vinci, especially for the ‘Battle of Anghiari’ :-)

Da Vinci isn’t even mentioned .. WHO did this list ?

best, Reini

thom says:

Ansel Adams should have been in the list, no shame.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ anon: our FRAMES vids are made using Apple’s Final Cut Pro.

Anonymous says:

Hi Chase,

Like your other FRAMES, this one is quite nice to look at ;-)

BTW, may I ask a stupid question : how are those made ? I mean, which software ? Because it looks like the frame speed depends on the music (or is it just me ?) Kinda cool effect, and was wondering if that was hand-made or software made ;-)

Take care,

WHERE ARE YOU CHASE?!?!?!?!?! :D

Lisette says:

Sorry art world, I’m not down with Cindy. Saw her show at MOMA, big letdown.

Ken says:

The list has more value to the art investor than to the art enthusiast.

There are certainly great artists on the list. But given the politics of the gallery scene, are more gallery/museum shows analogous to better art?

Ken says:

The list has more value to the art investor than to the art enthusiast.

Chase Jarvis says:

I also really dig Ruscha, although he’s definitely more of a painter. Glad to see him in the top dozen.

Tao says:

Ed Ruscha has done photography, the most well know of this being Twentysix Gasoline Stations. Gerhard Richter does photo-paintings.

James Hill says:

woops.. sorry.. re-read the part about the top 20… hehe.

Anonymous says:

jeff wall’s also a photographer…

Q says:

I knew about the rankings, and wondered how it worked… I don’t really need to know. I do find it interesting, and a little exciting that a self portraitist is the highest ranking photographer.

phoebeT says:

How is Gursky possibly behind Cindy Sherman?