Annie Leibovitz Interview, This Time In Seattle

Love her or don’t, but she’s been a formidable photographer for decades. And this week, Annie was in Seattle pushing her new book “Annie Leibovitz at Work”.

You may have caught her more polished interview on NPR earlier in the week, but local NPR host Steve Scher managed a longer and more gritty interview with her after her talk here Wednesday at Benaroya Hall.

Almost without regard to the content, I’m usually more interested in the less polished versions of someone of Annie’s stature. Give it a listen. There are some nuggets on both sides of the fence. Streaming links here:

[approx 53 min.]

31 Responses to Annie Leibovitz Interview, This Time In Seattle

1. Anonymous November 23, 2008 at 11:17 pm #

I listened to the other interview on NPR earlier this weekend. Considerably different than this one. This here Annie sounds much more erratic and disheveled. Which is the real Annie? I bet you she’s just like us, a good bit of both.

It’s an interesting listen (still going as I’m writing…). Thanks for sharing.

Did you catch the show Chase?

2. Aaron November 23, 2008 at 11:23 pm #

Picked up the book a couple of days ago. I’ve only read the introduction to this point. Should be interesting to read about some of her shoots.

I’ll be sure to listen to this interview as well. Thanks for the heads up.

3. ©PERENOM November 24, 2008 at 12:23 am #

I give you just a link to my blog with this portrait of Annie Leibovitz : http://www.perenom.net/2008/06/annie-leibovitz.html

4. Anne November 24, 2008 at 3:24 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this. It’s a compelling look into the mind of a documentarian.

5. Jonny November 24, 2008 at 8:11 am #

Interesting interview. In the end, she really does just sound like anyone else, albeit she’s lived a dramatically different life than most.

The more I listen, the more it confirms that it’s her personal skills that have made her who she is, not her technical skill.

Kind of a follow up to your previous blog, the most under-reported aspect of photography is straight up people skills, and the timeless role these skills play. In my mind, personal skills… that is to develop a quick personal connection with the subject… are far more important than any technical skills.

Definitely not something i’ve mastered by any stretch, but something i can continue to develop in my own work, and encourage others to pursue.

6. Mat Hayward November 24, 2008 at 10:33 am #

I was happy to have an opportunity to meet her after the show at Benaroya this week for a quick photo. It was funny because my friend wasn’t used to my camera so he goofed the shot and we went back up to her where he had to confess to her about blowing it. She gladly posed again then grabbed my camera and chimped it to make sure we got it right this time :) I found her to be very charming and nice which was contrary to what I had expected in all honesty.

I did get the impression she isn’t thrilled about being the person in the limelight rather than covering the person in the limelight but she seems to handle it pretty well.

I think for the most part her photographs are gorgeous. Her massive success I attribute to being in the right place at the right time however. Her story gives me hope as you never know when opportunity is going to come knocking.

7. James November 24, 2008 at 11:28 am #

Thanks for sharing.

8. Ogalthorpe November 24, 2008 at 12:06 pm #

I like Annie. I think she’s a good sport.

9. Anonymous November 24, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

I’ve seen the book. It’s nicely done.

10. Rob Jaudon November 24, 2008 at 1:07 pm #

That ROCKS Chase. Thanks a bunch!!!

Rob
    JEEZOPEEZO.COM

11. Oscar November 24, 2008 at 2:37 pm #

oh. Good timing.
    I watched the documentary “life through a lens” done by her sister and published by the PBS a couple of days ago.
    This one should be interesting.

Thanks for the link :)

12. Иван Чертов November 25, 2008 at 2:17 pm #

I love some of her works…
    maybe a few weeks ago i heard she had just opened an exhibition in London’s National Portrait Gallery so i bought a low cost flight ticket for January 18…
    london baby here i come ;P

13. Anonymous November 26, 2008 at 6:09 am #

I am halfway through the book. I wish there was more depth and meat to the comments.

The story behind the Stones tour in the mid-seventies makes the book all the more interesting to me. I met her while she was shooting the tour.

The book is good. Not great. But a worthwhile read.

14. Anonymous November 26, 2008 at 10:50 am #

Yowsers, that was painful to listen to – she sounds really uncomfortable, too much rambling.

15. Mitch Weiss November 26, 2008 at 3:47 pm #

Annie also came to Harvard this week to speak about the book.

I was able to sneak 30 seconds of chat time with her. She is also a left eyed shooter ;)

I captured a photo of her @ 135mm @ f2 while she was signing books.

I posted it on my site if anyone would like a peak…

16. Adam November 30, 2008 at 12:05 am #

Thanks for the post Chase, I’ll make sure I get my mitts on a copy of that book. I really love her work and found her totally charming in the interview. I love that she rambles and stammers and searches for the right words to describe her art and business. I do the same thing and really, if you could explain your art perfectly, wouldn’t you be a story teller and not a photographer. I love her examples like the Dorothy Lang depression classic image, that she drove past then drove back to explore and capture that iconic image. I love her comments on digital, photographing the queen, Rolling Stone, Vogue, Bush etc.

17. Seattle Fence Company March 24, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should publish more about this subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but generally folks don’t talk about such topics. To the next! All the best!!

18. Luigi Bovard January 3, 2013 at 6:16 am #

You are a vastly intelligent person!

19. Cornelius Piwowar January 5, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Attention to detail is maybe the most significant part of dealing with inestimable stuff and furniture, and customers just cannot afford to risk their unbreakable earned belongings with some firm further than Palmetto Specialty Transfer.

20. Shizue Molsan January 7, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Glorious blog! Accomplish you could have one hints for aspiring writers? I am planning to start my own position suddenly excluding I am a bit of misplaced taking place all. Would you advocate starting with a emancipated platform like WordPress otherwise get for a salaried option? There are so many options out there that I am absolutely overwhelmed .. One tips? Cheers!

21. Hyon Stample January 9, 2013 at 4:34 am #

It stagnant surprises me, how slice of people do? not make out about Kinovelax Diet Design (google it), in spite of the fact that a lot of people get sunny outcome with it. Gratitude to my cousin who told me about Kinovelax Diet Diagram, I have lost a ton of weight with it without starving myself.

22. Eleanore Menter June 7, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Good blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!

23. cheap party bus rental June 9, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Simone Campbell’s speech experienced nothing to try and do with “pro-life” whatever.

24. how to June 10, 2013 at 7:19 am #

some stores have really bad customer service even though other people have topnotch custmer service,

25. make money ebooks June 11, 2013 at 6:19 am #

A person essentially assist to make severely articles I might state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish incredible. Great activity!

26. Asian Massage New York City June 12, 2013 at 12:02 am #

I guess this topic is more important compared to I believed. There seems to be incredibly little information on this subject, yet everybody is talking about it. I will have to explore this more until I discover enough regarding the topic.

27. Wypożyczalnia samochodów Gdańsk June 12, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Many of the responses on this particular website dont make sense.

28. Wheelchairs Now June 19, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

Thanks again for the post.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

29. Marianela Lacio November 7, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Thank you, I’ve recently been seeking for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

30. Ira Celestino November 22, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

I need to to thank you for this good read!! I certainly loved every little bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite to look at new things you post…

31. Benaughty Australia February 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d really appreciate it.