Thanks. Giving.

For USA readers, Thursday (today, depending on where you are on the globe), is a holiday where we’re encouraged to take pause from our daily grind and give thanks for the myriad of wonderful things in our lives. For the international readers, I’d encourage you to join in.

THANKS
I’m thankful for so many things, most of which distill to health, family, and community.

This year was abundant with personal health. I recall only a sniffle or scratchy throat here and there, and my mind was more clear than in so many years past.

Family played a huge role in this year for me as well. My wife Kate was, once again, the center of my family life and rock solid as always. I’m humbled. She continues to show me how to love, as does our huge cat, Dexter. I’m best friends with my parents, who somehow continue to get younger with each passing year, and I’m awed at the warmth and generosity of my in-laws. I’m soon to be an uncle and I’m grateful also for the brother/sister in law who are bringing that little boy into the world. My grandmother, who called herself “one of the luckiest people around”, passed away recently, but left me the gift of believing in luck, even courting it, and for that I’m thankful. And I’m thankful to my aunts and uncles and grandma with whom I grew again closer – more so than perhaps in any year prior. Our extended family also got together more this year than ever before – and for that too I’m so very thankful.

Community. This leaves me almost speechless. Socially and culturally my friends and my work mates play a huge role in my life. The generosity of this group is a reason to get up in the morning, and the collective soul of these friends is rich with both kindness and a passion for life. The community here on this blog also carries me along in a way I can’t begin to describe. Within the thousands of comments posted and the millions of visits this year, I draw strength. I laugh when you thank me for this post or that, because inside I’m so thankful for your words, your support, your visits, your comments, your ideas, your links to this site, and space you reserve in your brain each day for your visit here. You are the backbone and in many ways directing the course of this pile of words and pictures. And for that, and, thus for you, I’m thankful.

GIVING
A central tenant to my being–and also this brand–is giving back. I encourage you to give back in whatever way you are able. Sometimes, we get caught up in all the ways to say “thanks” on the web: an email here, a donation click there, but this year, I’m encouraging you to give something back in the real world. Be personal about it. Tell someone to their face how thankful you are. Do something good in the community tomorrow. I’m going to give hats and gloves to those homeless on the streets of Seattle. Will you please join me in some way and give something to your community on this day, even if it’s simply a heartfelt smile? I’d really appreciate that. For remember: Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it. (William Arthur Ward). So by all means, have a happy Thanksgiving, wherever on the planet you might be.

LASTLY
If you feel so inclined, share with us in the comments section some things YOU’RE thankful for. Anything sincere. I’ll select a handful of comments at my discretion, I’ll track you down, and I’ll send you a free signed copy of my book, or a limited edition t-shirt.

[And double lastly do be thankful for all those D3X rumors!! Woot!;]

64 Responses to Thanks. Giving.

1. Ken Mott November 26, 2008 at 6:15 pm #

So does that mean you already tested a D3x ;)

2. Michael Walker November 26, 2008 at 6:23 pm #

well i might not be giving back something at the very moment though I'm trying to sell some of my pictures in order to donate the money to a charity organization building and supporting hospitals and schools in Lebanon. Pretty hard as an amateur photographer but it's not about the amount of money I say.

oh btw, we in Switzerland do not actually know thanks giving like in the states, quite a pity I think as we all should have something to thank for and definitely got something to give back.

i really appreciate your give&take; attitude which is rarely seen within the pro-league of photographers.

3. Andrew November 26, 2008 at 7:43 pm #

I am thankful for God, who has blessed me with so many talents, (photography being one of them…) and my family and friends.

I am thankful for my family, who I know I can always count on.

I am thankful for my friends whom I can rely on for fun times and for helping me out when I need it.

And I am thankful for you, Chase, who have mentored me in not only photography and business, but in the more important things in life too, which you express in this post and the one on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

Happy Thanksgiving Chase and keep up the fantastic work.

-Andrew

4. charlesknox November 26, 2008 at 7:47 pm #

Im thankful for you chase being so open about your knowledge of this industry and your videos inspire me to go out and shoot i always watch them when i need inspiration before a shoot.

Im very thankful to all the people that have helped me over the past year, especially to my family, who have helped support me in my quest to further my photography career.

And as far as giving i have learnt so much in this past year through meeting so many people in this industry and others who have helped me further my business that i too try and give back to the photography community by teaching other aspiring photographers what i have learnt and i try to give the confidence to do what they really want to do in life.

Long story short, Thanks chase

5. NikonRumors.com November 26, 2008 at 8:10 pm #

4 things:

Thanks for the Internet!
    Thanks to my family for sticking behind me!
    Thanks to Chase for the book and T-shirt that he will send me :)
    …and thanks Nikon for the D3x!

not in that particular order…

6. Antti November 26, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

Giving? As much as I can.
    Thankful? More than ever.

Going through a long healing process, and finding the pleasure of everyday routines after years of the grimmest thoughts of my life, brings some truly fervent feelings of happiness and gratefulness to my mind. Living instead of being alive is a thing to cherish – and to share among your family and closest friends.

I’ve been donating too – donating my time, my soul to two beautiful children who have captured the soft side of me so fast while I wasn’t sure it could even happen!

Happy to be alive, well and loving.

7. Martin November 26, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

I’m thankful for the photographers who are so willing to share information with the rest of us.
    People like yourself, Chase, David Hobby, Bert Stephani, Joe McNally and others have contributed so much to the online photographic community!

8. Lakehouse November 26, 2008 at 8:44 pm #

I’m thankful for the liberating education I gained at the School of Hard Knocks. By no means has my life been any more difficult than billions of less fortunate people in the world, nevertheless, I, like you and you and you… have had to overcome a lot. Circumstances have required me to learn my own life lessons with fewer teachers than ‘normal’. As I result, I have the courage, at the ripe old age of 45, to be working towards a career change despite the economy, the competition, the odds. My glass is definitely half full and I enjoy every drop!

9. Israel Zenteno November 26, 2008 at 8:59 pm #

I am thankful for the health my 3 kids have, the wonderful partner I have in life and the great weather of this year, permitting me to make a great wine once again, giving me the challenge to produce something born from this earth we all share…

I am thankful for all the friends I did not ask for, but still got… I could not have asked for a better bunch!

I am just thankful… for the life I got…

Z.

10. Sanj November 26, 2008 at 9:17 pm #

Chase – Big fan up in Canada. Our Thanksgiving has passed, but I thought I’d write anyway…

I’m thankful to my wife for the joyous birth of my twin boys! She’s been a trooper through it all. I thank them, for letting me see the world through their eyes. Its wonderful….!

11. AngelaD November 26, 2008 at 9:36 pm #

Top Five Things to be Thankful for:

5. The technology that found my breast cancer early, mapped my DNA and found my genetic mutation.

4. The caring, skill and competence of the UW team of surgeons that performed my 8 hour surgery and are still reconstructing my body.

3. A clear 5-page pathology report that gave me an all clear on cancer.

2. A husband and kids that support my love of photography and enjoy seeing me back on the sidelines armed with my gear.

And the number one reason I’m thankful this year…

the support of my family, friends and especially my dear husband’s rock steady support guiding me through a half year of turmoil.

I know I should list The Chase Jarvis Blog and Strobist – they always keep me busy. You’re in my top 10 though!

12. Aaron November 26, 2008 at 9:43 pm #

Thanksgiving has long been my favorite holiday. Seems odd but even as a kid I liked it in that there weren’t the distractions of shopping and wanting more stuff.

Thanksgiving is that day when we all realize that we have so much more than we deserve. It feels odd to think of wanting anything on Thanksgiving day (besides a D3x or a nap :) .

I hate it that so many seem to skip past Thanksgiving and move on to Christmas right away. Spending a bit of time thinking about all we have is certainly a healthy thing to do. Those that don’t take this opportunity are missing out for sure.

Like many, I’m thankful for my family and friends. Life isn’t about money and I’m thankful to have learned this, and really believed it, fairly early in life. Family, friends/community, is where it’s at for me. I’m thankful for the chance I have to make a living for my family of five doing something I love. I work out of my home studio and shoot everything on location. My kids don’t even think I work accept when I have a “coffee meeting” or a shooting day. I’m thankful that I always seem to be here from their perspective. I’m also thankful for my clients who continue to give me work and opportunities to prove myself in new ways to them. I couldn’t do what I do without them.

Chase, thanks for writing and continuing to be honest. Your videos are incredible and I’ve sure enjoyed them. Who knows how many times I’ve watched them all, it be embarrassing to count. They all live on my iPhone. :)

Hoping to meet you someday in person. I’ve been reading for a couple years now. I’m sure we’ll meet up one day if it’s meant to be.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
    Aaron

13. cody November 26, 2008 at 9:55 pm #

I am thankful for my dad still being in my life.

I am thankful that I had no health problems but instead have considerably improved my health this year.

I am thankful for my success, both personally and professionally. I am thankful that the most loving woman I have ever met, has graced me with another year of companionship.

Lastly, I am thankful for all of the people who choose to give of themselves, to share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

14. Keith McAdams November 26, 2008 at 10:13 pm #

Happy Thanksgiving Chase and all the others in the photography world!!!!

I am thankful for soooo much! Where do I start? Ok so I wont list everything but I will tell you what I am most thankful for.

Being a sophomore in college is tough. With that Im very thankful for my family and their support, mostly my mom. She has dealt with a lot and for a 57 year old single mother having to deal with all the crazy and sometimes stupid decisions her 20 year old son (me) makes must be tough for her. Yet! She has always been there to help me in any way from advice to money or to just be an awesome mother!

Im also thankful for my church hear in Tulsa Oklahoma, Guts church.
    At Guts i have been giving so many chances to work with the media team with photography and video, And the staff has taught me so much! I even go to fly in a helecopter for the first time to photography our motorcycle rally full of thousands of bikers and the band Bad Company!.

On the giving side of things its awesome! our motorcycle rally feed tons of kids in Hati, and just last week we gave out Thanksgiving dinner to 1000 families! Yeah 1000!!!!!!

To give back to the photography community some friends and I started a group called L.O.O.P. Its a group that is open to any and every artist and we teach each other new arts and callaborate with our work. Its Awesome!!!!!

15. Firehed November 26, 2008 at 11:00 pm #

Firstly, thanks to YOU, Chase, for actually prompting the question. Like so many others, I’ve been finding myself lost in the commercialization of this time of year as much as I try to avoid it, and this is the first time I’ve taken to really reflect on the topic.

Two things come to mind this year. Number one is a few of my good friends and my father, who have done a lot to help me through a rough patch in my life. The solitude that came with having move to full-time freelance work hasn’t sat well with me, and they’ve done a lot to help me deal with that. Number two is a bittersweet thanks for all of the good memories I have of my grandmother, who recently passed away. I feel better knowing that she’s not suffering as I think she was in her last days, but it was still a hard and somewhat unexpected loss for me.

16. Kathryn Lymburner November 26, 2008 at 11:05 pm #

I’m thankful for freedom of mind, and peace of mind; thankful that I can live in a part of the world where I don’t have to fear getting up tomorrow morning. Thankful that the things I worry about are not as life threatening as what others in the world have to worry about.

17. ingalbraith November 26, 2008 at 11:35 pm #

others who create
    breathing

18. photodesignproductions.com November 27, 2008 at 1:23 am #

Hi Chase,

You wanted a sincere comment, well here’s mine:

I’m thankful for all those creatively driven souls out there who stand up for not only their own ideas and believes, but also stand up for believes and concerns of the general public like the world’s environment, poverty, war… you name it.

I’m thankful – and I think we all should be thankful – that there are still people out there who don’t filter out these so important issues. Issues that will probably stay on for years and decades to come.

And hopefully will be resolved one day…

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

- Mike

19. Freelance fotograaf Jürgen Doom November 27, 2008 at 1:32 am #

I couldn’t be more thankfull to a local photographer Bert Sephani. About a year ago he adviced me to look at the Strobist blog.

Well, I reluctantly went to the blog – I wasn’t reading any blogs at all, thought it was a waste of time – yet that day was the first day of a big change in my photography. Since then, I started reading blogs, adapted the “strobist” approach, made many new (commercial) clients, upped my level in photography big time and started to get a lot out of the community by putting my experiences into my blog.

After years of just scraping by I have finally come to a situation where I can live comfortably from my photography and – moreover – where I have never had such enjoyment out of what I do.

Thanks Bert and all of you out there sharing your views on the most beautiful profession on earth ….

With love,
    Jürgen

20. Rich November 27, 2008 at 4:00 am #

I’m thankful for my son, my wife and the fact that she puts up with my crazy ass – this is especially valuable considering that we work together. I’m extra thankful she keeps me honest with my work, both artistically and ethically.

Also, I’m thankful that she can cook because I’m a frickin mess in the kitchen and have been known to burn whole turkeys.

Oh – and I’m thankful for Paul C. Buff.

21. nolanstern November 27, 2008 at 5:55 am #

I am thankful for a lot of things.

1. For my wife, standing my me while I was going through an adjustment period with my Cochlear Implants and Meniere’s Disease. Through my perserverance and support of my wife I have been vertigo free since March 1st. Thankfully.

2. For my grandmother and grandfather. Taking the opportunity to spend time with them the last few weeks has been prescious after finding out that my gramps is now in hospice care. Even though, he is going to pass I will still hold all of his memories of him alive as I look up to him as my hero and mentor. I will continue to model myself after him and hope that people will notice some of me in him.

3. My parents for supporting me over the last few years as I battled the loss of hearing and enduring new freedoms with my Cochlear Implants.

4. For the opportunity to get back into photography which has inspired me to be creative and learn as much as I can.

5. Lastly, 2009 will be a new year with new challenges and I am inspired to do 101 things in 1001 days which will be a culmination of many different things but hope to become a better person and photographer at the same time.

22. True Till Death November 27, 2008 at 7:14 am #

Even i live in a 3rd world country, where everyhing it’s about contacts and what party are you attendin’ to or what kind of drugs are you in to (i’m Straight Edge), im really thankful for life.

so..i’m thankful because im blessed with an amazing wife and the best dog ever, also im thankful for my family in general because their always there for me, im thankful because im a healthy person and i have all the tools to try to succeed even in this place theres no room for people who’s stands up on their beliefs and dont sell out.
    im thankful for my friends too, and the people who stick around no matter what.

And giving, i try to give everyday, and to care about animals because this world belong to them too and we have no rights to think that we are the only beings that need atention.

last but not least i’m thankful of people like Chase who shares his experiences and knowledge with everyone, demonstrating that is someone confident and really professional

23. Andras Kiss November 27, 2008 at 7:32 am #

There are many things that I am thankful for this year. My friends, family, community all of which have helped me get through my junior/senior year of highschool, dealt with my crap as I got worked up over college/grades etc.

But one thing I am so very thankful for is people like Chase and David Hobby and these amazing, professional photographers who really want to teach. I only picked up photography about a year and a half ago, but through their blogs, videos, pictures, and everything I have learned so much. I love the fact that instead of becoming introverted and secretive about their methods people like Chase say “Hey this is a cool technique! Try it out!” Their love for photography and their desire to share it with the world, and people like me, far surpass their ego. So thank you Chase, thank you David, and thank you all for your willingness to aid the student photographic community. I love this community for so many reasons. To list them all would take hours, but this is one aspect of this community I find the most amazing

24. James November 27, 2008 at 7:49 am #

I’m thankful that the measure of happiness is not money, lest we all be depressed by the gloomy outlook that our economy projects. The reality is that the coming few years will be challenging. But, unlike natural disaster, we know what is coming and we can resolve ourselves to persevere. Whatever comes our way will only make us stronger.

I’m thankful for family and love. What more is there?

For what it is worth, I encourage everyone to look at community organizations that they can be a part of that bring value to our lives beyond work. I am a member of the Providence Rotary club (part of Rotary International), an organization dedicated to “service above self.” It is a non-religious and non-political group of volunteer business people who want to help their communities through direct involvement with local causes.

25. Aleksei November 27, 2008 at 8:38 am #

I’m thankful for a loving wife who supports my goals as I support hers.
    I’m thankful that I’ve a job I enjoy and that allows me to attempt to change the world – at least in small ways.
    I’m thankful to have experienced life outside North America and all the lessons that has given me.
    I’m thankful for everyday that I get to try again to be just a little bit better.

26. ISO Photography November 27, 2008 at 8:51 am #

Well I’m very thankful, despite all the things that has happened to me this particular year, such as, I’m nearly 2 months to go bankrupt in my business ($27.83 in my “savings” account), my grandmother died 2 months ago (she was my rock among others things), and no job in the near or far future, BUT I’m extremely grateful because of my health, I have a roof to live on, and food to eat and super satisfied for the strength to work in charity projects such as portraits of kids with cancer for this Thanksgiving, that made so much of a difference on their lives, see how much another person would care about them in this time of the year, also the same project in foster care and the same project with homeless but in addition to give them food, clothes and put in living conditions their shelters giving things such as water, toilet paper, storage food etc. etc.

So it has been honestly a bad year for business but a great year for giving to others…!!!

So I’m thankful for the strength, the partners in the charity work and hope for my business.

Gamaliel Rios
    isophotography100@gmail.com

27. Sean Austin November 27, 2008 at 9:24 am #

Since becoming a dad, the stories about war-torn and impoverished peoples get to me even more. It must be horrible for those whose children are at risk in situations like Darfur or the Congo – I appreciate the peaceful, almost pastoral lifestyle that is available to me. I wish all people could count on that as a fact of life.

28. Jonny November 27, 2008 at 10:43 am #

Quite a few things actually.

-I’m thankful for my wife who has watched me pursue my dream for years, and over the last two years, has stood in the gap and helped me take it to the next level. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her support that has allowed me to pursue this.

-My daughter, who continues to inspire me daily, and even at 3 years old, poses better than most ‘hired’ models :)

-The people around me who took a chance on me, allowing me to prove myself as capable at what I do.

-David Hobby… Who made available the tools for free allowing me to learn on my own.

… Alright now for the irony / cheesiness…

Chase… thank you for pursuing your dreams all those years ago, taking the pictures you did. My wall as a teenager was PLASTERED with K2 / Smith ad posters from powder magazine, that I now realize were likely your pictures. Oddly enough, it was those pictures that helped me realize my passion for photography, especially outdoor living photography… I dreamed of taking those pictures as a kid, and here I am today, pursing photography as a career, and even taking this year to pursue ski photography, which I always dreamed of doing.

A million other things to be thankful this year, but those are certainly at the top of my list.

29. Kaspaar November 27, 2008 at 12:34 pm #

For my girl who’s working here with me, filling this room with warmth and cosiness. And for my mum, who passed by earlier today to share a cup of coffee. For all those small joyful moments i say “thank you”. Big time.

30. HPE November 27, 2008 at 3:38 pm #

Here in Norway we have many things to be thankful for and we have the ability to give a lot, yet we don´t celebrate thanksgiving…

But…
    I´m thankful for being born into a part of the world that is peaceful, far away from war, terror and hunger.

I´m thankful for the possibilities I can give my 2 sons.

I´m thankful for all the beautiful moments my family and I share together. I love them.

I´m thankful for having a job.

As for giving.
    I will continue to support SOS-Children Villages (www.sos-childrensvillages.org)

Many of my Christmas presents this year will be goats, chickens and farmer equipment – these are presents that change the world for those that need it the most (www.gaversomforandrerverden.no (in norwegian)).

I will also support James Nachtways fight against XDR-TB (xdrtb.org).

Finally, I will do what I can to share my knowledge about photography and programming

Thank you all out there that do what they can to share their knowledge (for free) – I learn something new every day

GOD JUL OG GODT NYTTÅR :-D

Med vennlig hilsen
    Hans-Petter

31. Remi Boucher November 27, 2008 at 5:52 pm #

I’m thankful for my girlfriend Marie-Claude who spent 4 months in very close proximity during our summer trip in Yukon (Canada) and in the western part of the USA.
    Since we’ve start dating, we’ve been 200km apart for most of the time, and being finally together almost 24 hours a day for 4 month could have been pretty hard for both of us. But everything went perfectly (except for once a month, when the hormones starts to kick in), and we really had a good time.
    tgastronaut.blogspot.com (sorry, french only)

Thanks to myself too, for taking the time after my degree to put my life on pause and do this trip that opened my eyes on what I want to do as a living : Photography
    …housekeeping for 3 months really gives you time to think about yourself :)

And thank you Chase because you’ve really become my primary source of inspiration during this year.

32. Michael Hurcomb November 27, 2008 at 6:22 pm #

I'm thankful for a fantastic year!

1. Life & health
    2. Natalie, my fiancee & Audrey, my daughter. The two sweetest gals you'd want to meet.
    3. That I opened my eyes and heart to being a photographer and achieved things this year that I wouldn't have dreamed a few years ago.
    4. Online blogs that teach and inspire.
    5. Starting my own blog and teaching my friends about photography.
    6. Landing a cool day job – record store manager – to support my photography purchases.
    7. Realizing that hearing "No" isn't so bad. And "No thanks but we love your work" is even better.
    8. Finding out that shooting a wedding is the most exhilarating and frightening experience known to man.

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you!

33. James November 27, 2008 at 7:12 pm #

I’m thankful for Chases videos, its great that he shares with all of us.

I’m thankful that turkeys get to live in Australia on Thanksgiving.

I’m thankful that my renovations are almost finished.

I’m thankful for good people, thats really good people.

I’m thankful life is not really that hard compared to most of the world.

34. Chuck November 27, 2008 at 7:54 pm #

I’m so thankful for my kids. They’re my everything. They cause me not to get out as much as I’d like and not to be able to give as much as I like, because I give them my everything. I love them more than I ever thought I could love anything.

35. Bill November 27, 2008 at 8:01 pm #

Hi Chase,
    We don’t have Thanksgiving in Australia. However, there are things that I do give thanks for. My kids who have all reached adulthood safely and pretty well balanced – in spite of an mistakes that I may have made.
    Friends who constantly support and encourage whatever misadventure I am about to embark upon.
    The fact that I still have not lost the sense of wonder about life, love and the whole damn thing!! (important one that one).
    The fact that I went to the other side of the world recently and caught up with a loved one and parted with a hug and a kiss, rather than the last time we parted – always best to part as friends and in a feeling of gratitude!
    Thankful for the blessing of life itself and all it entails.
    And thankful for the chance to share it here.
    Thank you.
    All the best from down under!!

36. maria carmel November 28, 2008 at 1:25 am #

the word thankful cant even encompass what i feel about this last year, and about my life.

lets get the obvious one out of the way…i am thankful for winning a reality show, and for the prizes :)

that being said, i am the most thankful for the learning i have done in the past year. i have made plenty of mistakes, and will probably make one in this response, but i am thankful for all of my mistakes, and i have learned so much! i am a different person, a better person and photographer.

i am also thankful for finding confidence within myself as a photographer, and as a business woman-i still have a lot to learn, but know that i am more than capable of success. i thank god for the opportunity to learn something new everyday.

i am thankful for my health, and the health of my family, friends, and loved ones.

i am thankful for people who lift me up, people who push me, people who challenge me, people who help me, people who teach me things, people who hold a mirror up to me, and people who love me.

i am thankful for my new puppy, luda(cris) and my amazing boyfriend nick, who was thoughtful enough to surprise me with her.

finally, i am thankful to be alive, to have the best job in the world, and to be free. life is good. x

37. Leowell Gonzales November 28, 2008 at 1:46 am #

I am greatly thankful to my grandmother who passed away last year. She took care of me, defended me from those boys who want to bully me when I was younger, prepared my breakfast before I go to school and work, cooked dinner for me after a long tiring day at work, washed my delicate clothes by hand, ironed my office shirts and became my second mother. I really regret that I was not able to tell her these things while she was still alive and she passed away while I was on assignment in Europe.
    Grandma, I hope you can hear me. Thank you very much and I love you so much!

38. Tuffer November 28, 2008 at 5:52 am #

Most of all this year, I am thankful for America’s new first family. I was thankful for the election, for the amazing choice the American people made, that the government will closer match my ideals. But all the politics aside (and I recognize my ideals aren’t everyones), and as thankful as I am for the man about to take the highest office, it’s the first family that I’m most thankful for. All policies and opinions ignored, it is seeing such an amazing family standing in front of the nation. Brilliant, happy, cute, so real, so down to earth, funny. They feel like families and friends I know (though maybe more intelligent!). This family, about to move into the same house as the Kennedys, the Bushes, the Roosevelts, THE LINCOLNS.

So while I feel happy when I think about the next American president, it is when I see America’s next first family that I swell with emotion and disbelief.

There are many personal things I’m thankul for (family, friends, Seattle photo community, living in Europe) but this year, I am thankful for my country (and thankful to my country) for the four people America will look to as the new first family.

39. GeoWulf November 28, 2008 at 9:13 am #

I’m thankful for the possibility to ‘connect’ with kindred spirits across the world. The technology is certainly cool, but the ability to use it to give in a multitude of ways to even that one person who’s life is better because I shared a piece of myself with them and there was a ‘connection’.

40. L'unwilling nomad November 28, 2008 at 11:20 am #

I live in Bombay, India. This isn’t always covered by the Western press but the last 2 days have been a nightmare for the city with terrorism raising it’s head. I’ve spent the last 2 days in the Taj Mahal hotel with my door jammed shut and my lights off with a fullscale firefight raging in the corridors. I’m a wannabe photographer in the sense that I’m a full-time investment banker. We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in India but for someone who’s always trying to capture shades of dark, I’ve never been happier to see the light again…10.22 AM has never looked prettier. I spent the entire day today looking at my family, just looking…

41. Catalin November 28, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

As this is so direct and, why not, personal, i want first of all to thank YOU, Chase, for inspiring us all in more aspects than you could imagine (photography being just a small part). I’ve started following your blog some 2 months ago and it has changed the way I see life in more ways than I could imagine. Next, i have to thank my parents, my girlfriend (always by my side with a helping hand and some wise words), my friends etc…

On the giving side, it is (and will be until next summer) a very busy year for me. However, this is no excuse to give something back. One project i thought about taking part of (and I encourage all of you to do so) is the Holiday Card Project from deviantArt.

Cheers!

42. Deke November 28, 2008 at 7:04 pm #

I am thankful that I can think and create, listen and learn. That I can share with my fellow man. I am thankful for the opportunity and obligation to do unto others as I would have them do unto me. I am thankful that I am blessed and therefore … thankful.

43. Sandra L. November 28, 2008 at 7:53 pm #

At a time when marks are filtering in, exams are nigh and stress is overwhelming, it’s hard to imagine that there’s much to be thankful for. I mean, I’ve worked so hard to be where I am today and with graduation looming, it’s more daunting than ever to do well and push myself to be better than yesterday.

This week I was given back an assignment which I was very hopeful about and upon learning of its absolute failure I started to think perhaps photography isn’t even for me. After slapping myself upside the metaphysical head, however, I picked up my copy of Wladyslaw Szpilman’s “The Pianist” and read a chapter through. I needed to see that there are and have been people less fortunate than I and where I stress over marks, others stress over never having a proper education whatsoever. Thanksgiving in Canada has come and gone, albeit, I find myself ever thankful for all I DO have this season.

A boyfriend and family who love me even when I don’t love myself.

An indispensable education that my government is willing to help me afford for the time being.

That amazing Shawarma I had for dinner tonight. Mmmmm…

Free healthcare! Vive le Canada! haha (sorry i couldn’t resist :P )

and most of all for my life which has proven time and time again that it is most perfect… even when it isn’t.

Happy Holidays everyone! :)

-Sandra (London, On, CA)

44. Mike B. November 28, 2008 at 9:34 pm #

I’m thankful for:

My father, for always having new things around the house to learn about and teach me a multitude of skills and passing along a great sense of creativity.

My mother, for always being supportive and encouraging in my many adventures; be it web/graphic design, music, cars and now photography.

And great people, doing great things who are willing to share what they do for others to learn.

45. Tom Scott November 29, 2008 at 2:59 am #

My beautiful wife and three beautiful children.

My photography business.

The endless opportunities to serve and give to others as a result of our massive resources.

John Strognofe!

Peace!

46. Jason Drumm November 29, 2008 at 7:30 am #

I’m thankful for my amazing wife, Claire. She is an impossible woman. It’s not possible that she could be so incredible. She gives sacrificially of herself to care for our family, and it is only because of her passion as a mother and wife that I am who I am. If it wasn’t for the way she labors to free me up, I would have no time to pick up my camera (or do anything else for that matter). If it wasn’t for the way she believes in me and encourages me, I would have given up long ago. She is my best friend, my second shooter, and the most amazing miracle I have ever known.

47. Rafael November 29, 2008 at 8:39 am #

I am thankful for all the people that i know, and know me.
    I am thankful that there’s still a few people that remind to thank for being alive, healthy, warm an loved.
    I am thankful that there’s still some professional grade photographers that really SHARE their workflow and technics to us hobbysts ans amateurs.
    And for last i am thankful that besides being in Brazil (wich is far far away from anywhere), where sad things happen all the time, there’s still people that really cares for giving and thanking. At the brazilian south, we’re having a tragedy pretty much like the Katrina but without the hurricane itself. The cities are flooded, and people are loosing pretty much everything they have. So in other states, normal people like me and my friends, spare some warm clothes, food and water, and send to those who really need it in these hard times. I’m thankful for this sunny day here in my town, and for not needing to sweep the water away from my living room.

Thank you God, thank you Chase, thanks to all that live the meaning of a date like this.

48. stibe November 29, 2008 at 3:04 pm #

Here come my quick trio:

Definitely the big thanks go to my parents for giving me the upbringing I’ve had. Looking at so many things that go wrong in the World, I appreciate their teachings and even more their example.

Also a big thanks has to be given to the anonymous millions on the web who contribute daily to the 2.0. I just spent an hour looking at best photos of Panoramio around Google Earth. Absolutely stunning!

Yet another thing to be thankful is the times that we live in. With so much freedom to travel and see it is just amazing. For our grandparents to see the world meant to see some of your own continent. But now? Spin the globe (or Google Earth) and pick a destination, book online and go!

49. Phat Baby Photographer November 29, 2008 at 11:54 pm #

I thank God. All the people and things in my life for which I’d otherwise be thankful for are made better through Him. I’m a better husband for knowing that being the head means first serving, a better father for having an example of the perfect Father and a better photographer for having the ultimate Inspiration. Thanks Chase for providing the opportunity to share.

50. richard November 30, 2008 at 1:53 am #

Thank you for your blog post.

51. Jayme November 30, 2008 at 11:43 am #

I am thankful my kids are healthy and my husband and I have work. I am also thankful for my photography I have met a ton of awesome people thru it.

52. jeremy earl mayhew November 30, 2008 at 6:29 pm #

I am thankful for Myles and Emelia, who have endured my adjustments to being a single father, who have smiled time and again as i try to catch each fleeting moment of their childhood becuase sometimes i’m so busy trying to be a father and businessman and photographer that I miss the little things. WIthout them, my life would be like a real bad scenerio in a frank capra movie.

I am thankful to be their dad…, its really the only thing i’m good at :-)

53. bruincub December 1, 2008 at 11:26 am #

I am thankful for my family and friends who have supported and encouraged me through success and failure; the photography community at large for being willing and gracious to teach and share their knowledge to others; and the world in general for putting up with out crazy ideas and stunts just to get the shot we want =)

54. mattfogarty December 1, 2008 at 2:04 pm #

Family.

There are many other things I am grateful for too, but in the end, I finally figured it out. There really is only one thing that matters to me. My family is my life, and I am so grateful for them.

55. Mark December 2, 2008 at 8:19 pm #

I am not writing this to garner anything. The reminder to say thanks is thanks enough. I’m thankful for many things, but most of all the things that require me to give on a daily basis. That mostly boils down to how and on who I spend my time.

First and foremost is my family.

My beautiful wife of almost 20 years.

My three kids, all three mine, but two through the blessing and miracle of adoption. I thank their biological mothers who made that oh so difficult choice and for the way our lives have been enriched.

The other is the great beauty of the pacific northwest that I get to spend so much time in, it rejuvenates and restores me.

Lastly for photography, its been a great way to drive me to see more and see it differently.

Thanks to you for having a core value of giving back. Its inspiring.

56. Brit Hammer December 3, 2008 at 2:05 am #

I am thankful for the love my friends and family have always surrounded me with and will be eternally grateful for the love of my best friend, husband, true love, and partner-in-all-things.

When you are loved, can feel it and enjoy it, and can then give love back – this is the true meaning of wealth. Everything else is inconsequential.

Thanks also to you, Chase, for being an inspiration…and just a normal guy.

57. Mr Din December 4, 2008 at 8:36 am #

hey…
    I know it will sound stupid… I manage a team/crew like yours (although what we do is not related to photo), they all turn out to be more friends than “reports” and I’m thankful to them for making a great pleasure to wake up everyday!!! after all, aren’t we spending most of our time working…
    copying you again, the same goes to my family, wife and “full of life little kids”…

but there is one little thank I want to let you know… one special thank for you Chase :D you did nothing but bring me my mojo back!! I was desperate, hanging around with my camera, looking for inspiration… and then I saw your blog and your videos. The situation is definitely different now, I have more ideas than time to execute them!!!! – so… “little thank you!!”

58. Ivan Makarov December 10, 2008 at 12:29 pm #

More than anything else, I am thankful I am alive. Not having high chances of surviving past the infant age, my body somehow overcame its weakness, and I been living a healthy life style since the childhood. As a young parent now I realized that as humans, our lives are never as much at risk as they are from the moment we’re procreated till the child turns 2. It’s easy to forget about that.

I’m also grateful to live in the age of technology when ideas can be supported by capital and be implemented. Life is so much more interesting this way.

59. Anonymous December 24, 2008 at 6:56 am #

Hey great work! I did notice all the new pics on your portfolio. I personally like the one of the woman with the blue hoody (blue jacket) can you please tell me what kind of camera and lens you used to achieved that photo? Thank you.

60. Chase Jarvis December 27, 2008 at 5:30 pm #

@ anon 6:56am

shot with the D3, and nikkor 50mm 1.8. (that lens is plastic! $125 bucks!)

61. Roland January 1, 2009 at 9:25 pm #

I’m thankful that there is beauty in the world for us to behold

62. Glynda Vanbruggen January 5, 2012 at 11:08 am #

I appreciate your post, it is interesting and compelling. I stumbled upon my way here through Google, I’ll come back another time :)

1. Thanksgiving 2012 - 5 Mouth-Watering, Not-For-Everyone Turkey Recipes [And Photos] | Chase Jarvis Blog - November 21, 2012

[...] celebration. While I normally invoke a more serious tone for this holiday – one filled with true, humble gratitude – today is all that, but I couldn’t help thanking you in another [...]

2. 5 Mouth-Watering, Not-For-Everyone Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes [With Photos] | Chase Jarvis | An information resource for Photographic Studio Lighting Kits and Equipment. |  - November 21, 2012

[...] celebration. While I normally invoke a more serious tone for this holiday – one filled with true, humble, gratitude – today is all that, but I couldn’t help thanking you in another [...]