Nikon D3x: Follow The Play by Play on Twitter/Facebook

Alrighty. I’m pumped to try something new here. Today I am starting work on a 4-day North American advertising campaign, which–according only to what those I know in the biz can confirm for me–might just be the first such campaign shot using the Nikon D3x.

Oh ya, btw, I’ve started dropping some 24.5 megapixel Nikon bombs these days. Just got a production D3x on Friday.

As a part of my continued mission with this here blog, I thought you might find it interesting to see a play-by-play via Twitter and my Facebook page (text, photos + videos if/wherever possible), of our loving and/or grappling with a new beast of a camera amidst a real, commercial project.

Why Twitter and Facebook and not the blog? Well, I’ve got better on-the-fly access to both those platforms in my pocket via iPhone. Easy peasy. I’ll do my best to summarize all this via the blog–perhaps in a video–as soon as I can; but until then, I’ll give the down and dirty as often as I can from my pocket to yours. As such, I’m accepting Facebook friends and follower inquiries are welcome on my Twitter account.

[UPDATE: I’ve also posted my twitter feed in the margin to the right for those of you following along…just refresh often…]

As is standard with most contracts surrounding the creation of ad campaigns, I can’t share who I’m shooting for nor what the campaign is about, nor can I show any images from the campaign until it goes live. This is about the camera, not the shoot details. Hopefully this makes sense to you. (Although I do have an inquiry into the client to see if they’d like to open that up a tad!). I can tell you stuff about the camera and the super-basic following:

-It’s a lifestyle shoot.
-It’s a location-based shoot.
-I’ll be shooting tethered, if possible.

Beyond that, expect the information flow to focus on what I’m thinking, what gear we’re using and why, my thoughts on image quality, any challenges we might face with software or firmware, successes, hiccups, holy sh*ts, etc, etc. You get the picture. For the next four days.

Lastly, please keep in mind that I’m not a camera reviewer, a talking head, or a tech geek. I’m a photographer. In full disclosure, this isn’t a Nikon thing. Yes, they sent me the camera. Yes I’m a Nikon Master (whatever that means) but this is not their idea, they actually have no idea what I’m doing with it. Just something new that I thought might be interesting. Or it could suck. But let’s give it the ol’ college try.

Starting immediately. As in we leave to location and begin pre-light at 11am PST, in 7 minutes. Woot!

Anonymous says:

Seriously cool idea. First like that I’ve seen

Anonymous says:

Awesome video. To be able to be so close, this is really a first

artcola says:

Man, this has been really cool to be able to track along with your work at this shoot. Really wishing I could get a D3x for some high ISO goodness.

Anonymous says:

inspire me even more

Cameron Davidson says:

I know of three campaigns being shot right now with the D3X.

Two in the U,K, and one in the States.

All three shooters are friends and they are loving the camera and files.

Ok D3X i nice thing, but it’s just a tool as all the other cameras. The most important is to be the right tool for that specific job. I know Nikon made again great camera. I’m a Nikon user too (D300) For me it’s interesting to see how the D3x plays along with the Hasselblad. Not in terms of image quality, but in terms of handling for completing the job.

The D3x will give Canon a whole new race to compete in. It’s going to be good for all of us.
We’re looking forward to your impression.

That’s so so so sick, can’t wait to see the results. I’ve heard the ISO isn’t as good as the D3 since you’re trading good ISO for pixel count. I’d love to see the results. Hope the super secret photo shoot goes well!

Hey Chase, I look forward to hearing about how the D3x handles.
Good shooting

Lori Carey says:

It was fun to follow along with twitter updates Chase, I especially liked the twitpics.

Can’t wait to see the results of the shoot.

M Gardner says:

Chase & Crew,

I have being following this closely. Great idea, really looking forward to seeing the results. Your work is always ace.

Cool can’t wait to find out what you think of the
D3x.

Cheers
Alleh

Hey Blog Followers: Dartanyon here, just wanted to let everyone know what happened on the blog yesterday …

This is a note from our web hosts, I don’t know if we were the ones that took them out, or if it was just coincidence, but I apologize to anyone not able to access the site yesterday!

Engineers will be performing emergency hardware maintenance on a storage segment of (gs) Cluster #01 later tonight. Customers should prepare for a disruption of web, FTP, email, and other associated services. We estimate that approximately 90 minutes of this maintenance window will result in actual service unavailability.

We will be upgrading a component of the (gs) Storage Subsystem to use a newer hardware revision. This is being done to address a known issue with the current hardware resource. Our Storage Vendor and (mt) Engineers have both concluded that this action will improve overall stability and performance levels, as well as to address an issue that occurred earlier today which resulted in a widespread service disruption for customers on Cluster.1.

Fotografia says:

Wow! Good luck… I’m leaving for a job with my D3…

Sounds great! Really looking forward to see some shots.

K.

Carlos Bruno says:

I found out something very interesting for a long time a go of yours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Fabian says:

Sounds very nice! Can’t wait to see some results of the d3x. Hope you’ll write/videopost some of your experiences with it.

enbref says:

have fun work.
looking forward to the results

jeremy earl says:

(meant with total respect)

in all honesty, it doesn’t matter if you ( chase) are using a d3x or a medium sized rock and snail shells, you are the epitome of “its not the camera, its the photographer”.

so while i’m sure the d3x is a great camera for those of use who can spare a kidney for the black market, if you used a d100 or d3x, your images would still rock just as hard.

but the whole d3x price tag has really started to put me off. photography for the masses and a $9,000 dollar camera don’t seem to be on the same frequency, …yes, that’s “bitter”-ness you hear in my voice, cause i be poor.

IKON16.COM says:

Always keeping it fresh. Looking forward to the real world feedback!

Shelby White says:

Ha! those portraits are hilarious.

I was wondering what was with the tweets this morning, but this explains a lot.

Tim says:

Whatever dude…you’re totally a tech geek. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the noted slower capture speeds with that beast of a maga pixel machine. Of course, I look forward to just about everything you do! lol

Travis Dunn says:

excited to see what you have to say about it, so many people have been talking shit about the price vs what you get….

Elias Woo says:

Sounds fantastic. ive been waiting to see that camera in action. there are some things i think are wrong with it but ill guess we’ll find out.

What exactly is a “Nikon Master”? There isn’t anything I can find about it on Google or the Nikon site. Must be pretty cool just to have cameras thrown at ya. Have fun!

Rockhopper says:

Looking forward to it mate, My D2x kit has gone back to my former employers.

I am now the proud owner of a d70, I feel a new challenge is on the way now I have downsized.

Gotta love the recession,

Can I have your old d3 ha ha, I may have a new job in a couple of weeks. I really need a decent camera of my own.

Rich

garyallard says:

I wondered if Nikon would toss one your way. Last time I was in town I was talking to Cody about this camera and it sounded like you guys already had your pros and cons weighed. Will be interesting to hear how the hands-on goes!

Eric S. says:

Great Disclaimer,
In Any case it’s great to be Chase Jarvis :)
Enjoy

Jan says:

Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing, I’m looking forward to it :-)

That´s cool.

I look forward to see how the D3X perform. Thanks for sharing :-) and yeah – have fun

HP

This will be awesome.
Love to hear which camera (D3X vs Hasselblad) etc., you would now choose for certain situations.
May be tough for you to share, but would be really helpful for me.
I added a 5DMkII for resolution as I couldn’t justify price of D3X or H3 on top of my D3 and M8, so will be watching with great interest.
Good luck with weather.

Lorenzo says:

Fantastic…

I’m not a professional photographer, but sometimes I try to create something of original with my camera…

I have tried the Nikon D3 some months ago, and I like it, but it’s much expensive for my pocket, so I buy a Nikon D90.

I found your website while I search a review about D90.

This is my first post on you Blog and take this opportunity to tell you that, I love your creation, your Studio and you blog with video and photo of you work.

I still waiting for news.

Bye
Lorenzo.

Skunkabilly says:

Yeah, you show that Adolf Hitler!!! Go Chase!

How exciting! Can’t wait to see the images! I’ve admired your work for a long while now. Must be sweet working with that nice piece of equipment!

Wolfgang says:

cool! looking forward to your posts and tweets!

Oscar Lopez says:

Looking forward!
If you dont like it, feel free to send it my way. :D

Mark Wallace says:

Sweet! I can’t wait to see how the new Nikon behaves. Thanks for sharing Chase.

Mark says:

Have fun. looking foward to the results