Interview Mania.

I wanted to share with you three interviews I’ve recently given… This stuff normally lives on the press page where it can be a touch more shameless, but I’ve been buried all week and was looking for some low hanging fruit. Plus, I wanted to call these out because you should consider visiting the sites of each of these interviewers. They’re all utter gentlemen who are putting out lots of great content for the photography community.

1) a video interview I gave a few weeks ago for the recently-launched Photoshow, hosted by bay area photographer and business guru, Marc Silber. This is the third episode. First: Annie Leibovitz. Second: Ansel Adams’ son, Michael, about Ansel’s work. What a thug like me is doing in the third slot?…

[youtube=http://youtu.be/-ZhMBEHj9rQ]

2)Then there’s this interview from a couple weeks ago with Ron Dawson for his longstanding podcast, F-Stop Beyond. Very atypical questions. He drilled me on art, commerce, hanging out of helicopters, and of course Nietzsche, why I’m an only child, and why Jean Michel Basquiat is relevant to photography. There are about 70 other interviews on his site.

3) Last week at photoshop guru, David Cross’ blog, I was asked to “finish the sentence.” I like David’s style of short and punchy interviews. You can check it out here. His site is normally steeped in photoshop stuff, and there are a lot of these interviews intermingled.

Thank you to these fine fellows. Please pay them a visit if you’ve got the time as there’s great content there and many more interviews from people more interesting than yours truly.

Happy weekend.

[Some RSS readers or email subscribers might need to click here to see this content.]

19 Responses to Interview Mania.

1. Anonymous February 28, 2009 at 6:25 am #

Thanks for all the info. Some golden nuggets in there.

By the way, saw from your Twitter that you are in Salt Lake. Welcome to my city! Forecast calls for sunshine all week.

2. jeremy earl February 28, 2009 at 7:54 am #

this has been a good inspiration for me especially today, i’m shooting some food for my port and theres a HUGE creative gap between my pannini photo and the williams sonoma pannini photo i’m emulating…definatly not afraid to make mistakes today!

i’m sort of upset with you though, were is all this great behind the scenes footage from this vid, i’ve never seen some of it?

3. Nicholas Critelli February 28, 2009 at 9:05 am #

I think that for too many of us, when we’re working the job and just trying to get the project in the can, we neglect to even try to “turn it on it’s head”.

Thanks for putting it out there, great stuff.

Cheers,

Nicholas

4. shuttercraft February 28, 2009 at 9:16 am #

Thank you for posting this chase!

5. Nathanael Gassett February 28, 2009 at 9:25 am #

Really enjoyed interview #2. Haven’t had a chance to check out #3 yet, saving it for another day.
    It really struck me when talking about your background in art and philosophy and you said (warning: butchered quote) “They all knew where paintings had come from, but it was more about where it was going.”
    That’s such an important thing for people to think about, and for people to really understand. It’s awesome to learn from those before you, but you’ve really got to take it somewhere yourself.

Keep going man, you’re an inspiration.

Godspeed,

_Nathanael

6. Shelby White February 28, 2009 at 10:19 am #

I like the video interview but I think the second is packed with a lot of info.

Thanks for posting these.

7. Matthew Saville February 28, 2009 at 11:44 am #

Wow we have so much in common, I thought I was kinda “special”…

1.) Studied engineering etc. and bailed out for a photography career.

2.) Completely self-taught, and currently successful, compared to the brookies who are still looking for work and asking me where I got mine…

3.) I immediately recognized the advantages of learning with digital versus spending $20 (and waiting days / weeks) …per 36 pictures to learn. …And by then, you’ve forgotten your camera settings, etc… I don’t think I’d have EVER mastered night / star trail photography if I were using film! Enter digital, when you can check your images immediately and ALWAYS have the camera settings to go back to…

4.) We both use the word “huck”. Rock on!

5.) I *am* a wedding photographer, but I’d also rather take my chances blasting a 20 ft double on my MTB than dealing with a MOB on wedding day…

Take care,
    =Matt=

8. Anonymous February 28, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

Informative!

Thanks

9. Chase Jarvis March 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm #

Some of you have written in about trouble watching the HD version of the Silber interview on YouTube. I know there’s a version here on Vimeo too, which is where Marc normally hosts the show…

10. Sean McCormack March 1, 2009 at 10:41 pm #

Chase,
    love the explanation of the creative gap. thanks!
    Sean

11. Fotografo March 1, 2009 at 11:44 pm #

Great inspiration thanks

12. David Burke March 2, 2009 at 4:46 am #

great stuff as usual. thanks for being a continuing source of light, Chase!

13. Zak.Shelhamer March 3, 2009 at 10:01 am #

Thanks for the info, Hopefully I won’t be a slacker and I can apply that to my work.

14. Brad Snyder March 3, 2009 at 11:59 am #

I’m just a beginner, but I follow your blog regularly. The interview was great; inspired to get off my rear end and get shooting. Had a snow day yesterday, and as soon as I found out, I grabbed my camera and headed out the door.

15. Brandon D. March 3, 2009 at 11:11 pm #

Thanks for all of the interviews and the wisdom. I don’t think photographers can ever be thanked enough for taking time out of their day to help everyone else out and to share their experiences with us.

I like how the second interview seemed a little spontaneous and unorthodox at times. It was good to hear you in a free-flowing conversation like that.

Later!

16. Greg March 6, 2009 at 11:37 pm #

CHASE YOU LOOK LIKE YOU JUST ROLLED OUT OF BED!!!

17. Bill Giles March 11, 2009 at 5:09 am #

What really opened my eyes to the creative process was Ansel Adams book “The Print”. Here, I saw what the photographs looked like straight from the camera and what they looked like after they were transformed into his vision.

18. Ron Uriel March 23, 2009 at 3:55 am #

Thanks for sharing those insights and advices. very inspiring.

19. Austin Wedding Photographer May 6, 2009 at 1:20 pm #