LiveBooks is Live and Fake Chuck Is Dead.

Lots of blogs come and go, but of note this week are two… One coming, the other, well, we’re not sure.

First, liveBooks–known globally for their custom photography websites–humbly but proudly joined the online discussion last Tuesday by launching a new blog titled RESOLVE. (I’ve been a liveBooks fan for some time, having switched over to their smooth setup late in 2007 after being impressed by their ability to serve up big photos, and fast.) Their blog kicked off this week after snatching up editor Miki Johnson from American Photo magazine to run the thing. Good moves. Her stated goal is to create “A collaborative online community that brings together photographers and photo industry professionals of every kind” with the goal of “keeping photography relevant, respected, and profitable.” I’ll raise a glass to that. They’re nice folks over there, and I’ll venture they’ll have something to say in the coming weeks and months. Rumor has it, there will be lots of guest posts from a variety of photo industry perspectives. Pay Miki a visit and say hello as she settles in…

Second, you’re familiar with the old Fake Steve Jobs blog that died this past summer? Blogger Dan Lyons once rambled on as the satirical alter ego of Apple’s beloved CEO, the real Steve Jobs. Sometimes humorous, other times painful, that blog had its day and it’s now done – Dan has moved on. On the heels of that, however, enter stage right another little fake blog that started up over at fake Canon. Introducing Fake Chuck Westfall, the alter ego of the long time Media and Customer Relation boss at Canon USA.

Simultaneously loving and hating, praising and chastising Canon, it seems that the satirical Fake Chuck (who made me LMAO when he once labeled yours truly as “on crack” and put me in the cast of Wedding Crashers in the same post) has officially been ordered to close up shop. Canon’s law firm, Loeb and Loeb, came a knocking. And since you’re not new to the ol’ internets, you know what sort of an effect that had…the news spread like wildfire and Fake Chuck’s site went from an average of 200 pageviews per day to 20,000 overnight. Ain’t the internet grand?

So is FCW closed up or not? We’ll have to wait and see. Jury is still out.

19 Responses to LiveBooks is Live and Fake Chuck Is Dead.

1. Jim Goldstein February 16, 2009 at 10:57 pm #

Its a sad day when another fake “celebrity” blog goes down. I would have never expected the fake blog industry to be effected by the economy ;) Interesting about the Resolve blog. I’ll be sure to check it regularly. Thanks for the tip.

2. Anonymous February 16, 2009 at 11:01 pm #

Hi, my name is Mike Wilbourn. I love the work you do, you are a amazing photographer! I live in a small town called Cave Junction in Oregon. We have a community of artists that is huge for such a small town. I am only 17 years old and starting a photography business of my own. I am trying as hard as I possibly can to build a better photography community. I take part in the Southern Oregon Artists Guild, this is a place where all artists from here to Medford Oregon can meet up and share there knowledge and support. the Guild operates a coop gallery located in the Rogue Community College building in historic Kerby, OR, 26 miles SW or Grants Pass on US-199, “The Redwood Highway”. The gallery is open to the public and features a variety of regionally produced art and craft items for sale. Adjacent to the gallery is the Guild’s Artists’ Center where members and the public can use the Guild’s professional digital and film photographic equipment, studio lighting and backdrops, computers, advanced creative professional software, specialized printers, CD and DVD burners and high speed wireless Internet access. I am trying so hard to set up a way for everyone to come together as a community of artists. We just got a new Canon 50D and a decent studio setup from the money we raised.

I have come to a screeching halt, I am just having so much trouble finding ways to fund my photography business. I have been using the guild’s camera and studio setup for portraits and some other small jobs. Now I have a huge problem, I just got a big job offer from high cascade snowboard camp. This job will be my first big commercial shoot and I have to get all the equipment together before this summer! I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find a way to do this. I just have two big questions for you, if you have time…

#1 Do you have any advice on how to obtain money to fund my business at my age?

#2 How do I get money for the community photography meetups and workshops that I am starting?

My Email is shutter.crafting@gmail.com

Thank You!!!

3. Nir Dremer February 16, 2009 at 11:20 pm #

Resolve blog is very nice, thanks for the tip!

Nir

4. Zac Garrett February 16, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

From what I have read about the fake Chuck site is that once he removed the canon logo wordpress is standing behind him. This means they will not go about taking his site down.

I am glad that wordpress has not been bought out by a massive company. If they were this would be a totally different situation.

5. Shelby White February 17, 2009 at 12:37 am #

It’s crazy what Canon will do to sites that they feel could have an affect on them ;) . That is crazy they’ve done this to the Fake Westfall blog…I think they did the same to Canonrumors.com a couple months ago.

I’ve also been a fan of Livebooks but can’t seem to make the move because I could develop my own flash site…and I haven’t done that yet ha!

Good post–enjoyed the Resolve blog.

6. Anonymous February 17, 2009 at 7:46 am #

Fair bit of content up at Resolve for it just starting out. Good find Chase.

7. Miki Johnson February 17, 2009 at 11:13 am #

@Jim, @Nir, @Shelby: Glad you guys approve of the work we’ve been doing at RESOLVE. I hope I’ll hear from you guys in our comments or directly some time soon. We’ve got lots more great stuff in the pipeline. And, of course, thanks to Chase for the kind words.

8. billsallans February 17, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

My girlfriend always says you look like Bradley Cooper (the guy from Wedding Crashers. The Fake Chuck Westfall is really onto something.

9. Anonymous February 17, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

Dude – you do look like that guy on Wedding Crashers. You also look like the Cash Cab guy.

10. Shelby White February 17, 2009 at 6:10 pm #

Ha! I see the resemblance. I didn’t know that guy was in Nip/Tuck?

For those who don’t know who Bradley Cooper is (I didn’t), hit the link here.

11. Matthew Saville February 18, 2009 at 12:56 am #

There’s nothing that helps you realize just how hopelessly geeky you are quite like enjoying a good Fake Chuck Westfall blog entry…

=Matt=

12. Emile Bremmer February 18, 2009 at 7:14 am #

Maybe I’ll start a fake Chase Jarvis blog. But only if you endorse it :p

13. Chase Jarvis February 18, 2009 at 10:48 am #

please nooooo :)

14. Chad February 21, 2009 at 12:23 pm #

C’mon – somebody please start FakeKenRockwell.com. The URL is available I just don’t have the time or I would.

15. Star Solima June 21, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Congratulations to Chelsea on winning the FA Cup.

16. uploaded.net premium gratis June 26, 2013 at 4:49 am #

This page truly has all of the information I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

17. psc generator June 27, 2013 at 3:49 am #

Hi there, I think your web site might be having browser compatibility problems. When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it’s got some overlapping issues. I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, excellent website!

18. policy2o.org February 28, 2014 at 11:23 pm #

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering
    the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside
    case you shield this hike.

1. liveBooks Resolve Blog is Live: Chase Jarvis Blogs About It | liveBooks News and Press - June 23, 2011

[...] To read more click here. [...]