Laura’s Story

Thanks to all of you wrote in after seeing Laura’s Story when I announced the refreshed www.chasejarvis.com last week (check it). This video is sorta buried in my new Portfolios section, but many of you seemed to unearth it and find intrigue in it too, so I’m following your lead/request to chuck it out here on the blog to facilitate some sharing and/or discussion.

What is it? It’s a short video piece about my friend Laura created using stills, video, and audio voice over. I personally dig it quite a bit. Why? It’s not about beating cancer or war or struggle or winning the lottery. It’s just a real, simple story about a real person who loves to run. Seems to me, we need more of these types of stories.

I was commissioned to create this–and subsequently wrote, directed, and sewed it up– last autumn as a sort of a test piece. It was a successful “pilot” by any measure, receiving immediate client approval to proceed with additional videos for part of a larger series. That is, until just recently, when it’s all been rescinded. Drat. Budgets and other changes put the clamps on the project. C’est la vie. It’s still a cool vibe that you can bet I’ll doing a lot more of in the future.

One takeaway is this: it’s no mystery that we’re going to see an increase in video storytelling as the web continues to mature and as new media usurps the old. That’s something I’m really excited about.

Photo, film, and video geeks read on after the jump to learn more about how this was made. [Click the ‘continue reading’ link below.]

Cameras: we used Nikon D3 for the stop action imagery and the Red ONE for the motion.

Audio capture: we captured audio via a Sennheiser shotgun mic into a Canon Xh-A1 Video Camera. None of the voice over was rehearsed or scripted. It was recorded simply by me interviewing Laura about running and her life. Sub 20 minute discussion.

Edit stills: used Aperture to edit. Exported to Final Cut Pro.

Edit motion: stop action stills were turned into Quicktime files and integrated into motion workflow; and the Red ONE footage was ripped apart, chopped up, mixed with the still image sequences and put back together all using Apple’s Final Cut Pro.

Edit Audio: Apple Soundtrack Pro II.

Color: all color work up was done with Apple’s Color.

Shoot time: 1 day.

Edit time: few weeks.

Music? Damn, I love the music in this…perfect for the job. Big thanks to Hazelwood Motel. Support them and buy their music here on iTunes.

Huge thanks also to Laura Jane Meagan Matson. You’re a great runner and an amazing person. (And how darling are those kid pictures!) So happy I know you.

I’d love to hear your thoughts or feedback, and I’m banking on there being some questions. In either case or both: let’em rip.

[Lastly, the footy is gorgeous, but looks poopy on YouTube, although it’s best for sharing there… If you’d like better resolution, visit my YouTube Channel and watch it in HD (but, alas, even that doesn’t do it justice…). If you’re reading via RSS, you may need to click here to see the vid.]

Blish says:

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, terrific blog!

how do you resist those strong temptations to eat wrong foods
and hurt your health and your light level.
Whether you want to go on a gluten-free diet because you
have to or because you want to, it’s important to know that restricting gluten from your diet
isn’t easy. The author of this GFP article loves
fruit and realises that this affair was fostered in childhood where his father grew many varieties of fruit trees in his home yard.

Thank for sharing this blog with all of us. Of course, what a great site and informative posts, and quit impressive.

Wade says:

Hello there, in words of one syllable was alert to your blog through Google, and located that it is correctly informative. I am gonna watch not on in support of brussels. I’ll appreciate in the event you maintain this in impending. A lot of further community will possible ensue benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Toshiko says:

One more important part is that if you are a senior citizen, travel insurance intended for pensioners is something you must really look at. The older you are, a lot more at risk you happen to be for permitting something undesirable happen to you while in foreign countries. If you are never covered by a few comprehensive insurance cover, you could have quite a few serious troubles. Thanks for revealing your hints on this web blog.

Jamey says:

Can I in words of one syllable say what a relief to attain superstar who truly knows what they’re talking about taking place the internet.

Teri says:

You can stumble on some intriguing points on some dot in this post excluding I solve not verify qualification they all core to heart. At hand is some weight but I will take clutch opinion until I glance interested in it additional. First-rate article , gratitude and next we want much more! Supplementary to FeedBurner also

Alida says:

Juntos queremos aportar mucho mas y este post me parece un paso grande. Se nota que conoces de este tema y ademas lo sabes transmitir

Andy says:

Heads Awake us emphatically in fact likes your amazing blog down with please save writing

Curtis says:

Thanks for your article. One other thing is when you are disposing your property by yourself, one of the difficulties you need to be aware about upfront is how to deal with property inspection reviews. As a FSBO seller, the key to successfully moving your property as well as saving money with real estate agent revenue is information. The more you are aware of, the easier your property sales effort will be. One area where by this is particularly significant is assessments.

Paris says:

Great remarkable things here. I am fantastically pleased to look your post. Merit a lot and i am having a look advance to contact you. Strength of character you satisfy go down me a mail?

Donawa says:

There are undoubtedly a fantastic covenant of particulars prefer that to deem. Which is a abundant point to rumor in relation to. My partner and i present the views above as model ideas yet evidently you will stumble on concerns much in the vein of the 1 you mention in which the mainly crucial topic is free to ensue burden work in honest excellent creed. I am dependable that your career can live plainly referred to as a moderate video game.

Offret says:

There are lots of other far above the ground quality vodkas you can get through mate.. Personaly? i application Wyborowa Exquisite.. Not a big aficionado of the flavoured vodkas at all (unless you have complete a domestic flavoured one with clean fruit)

Melder says:

This is simply not the earliest of your reports I’ve discover, and you only by no means bring to an end to impress me personally. Thank anybody, and i as well glare ahead to studying inside future.

I actually wanted to send a brief note to be able to say thanks to you for the stunning facts you are giving out at this site. My particularly long internet search has finally been compensated with brilliant suggestions to write about with my neighbours. I would state that that we readers are unequivoc?ally fortunate to be in a remarkable site with very many wonderful people with great plans. I feel truly lucky to have seen the web pages and look forward to tons of more cool moments reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.

Kate says:

Have you thought about introducing approximately social bookmarking buttons to these blogs. By the side of least representing twitter.

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this blog. It’s uncomplicated, in spite of that effective. A lot of times it’s remorselessly to get that “perfect balance” connecting superb usability and visual appeal. I must declare that you’ve completed a superb trade with this. In addition, the blog loads tremendously fast used for me by Safari. Outstanding Blog!

Great web site. Lots of useful info here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks for your sweat!

Full Report says:

I like reading through a post that will make men and women think. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

Jaime Bose says:

Greetings I am so thrilled I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Yahoo for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb work.

I do love the way you have framed this particular situation plus it really does offer me personally a lot of fodder for thought. Nonetheless, from what I have observed, I just hope as the feed-back pack on that people stay on point and not embark on a soap box involving the news of the day. Still, thank you for this excellent piece and though I do not agree with the idea in totality, I regard your perspective.

Her we go just one additional time1938 Neville Chamberlain PM of gait brat onbr /and i quote( heir Hitler assured me there effectively not become a worebr /what a jock ply d on all democracies ha ha

I blog repeatedly and I genuinely be grateful you for your information.

Anonymous says:

The stills were imported native to the FCP timeline.Then a QT movie was exported and conformed to a 1080 x 1440 24p FCP sequence. So yeah we stitched them together and had Final Cut make a happy small file. I apologize for all the nerd speak.

NP36 says:

Chase: Nice work. You did more than just show up.

JI

jeremy earl says:

was this done for the nike “beleive in the run” campaign?

Hi Chase,

You’ve just opened a door for media. I’m pretty sure advertising people specially creatives will adopt such genre! Thank you so much for sharing and for inspiring us with your creativity and enthusiasm! I’m looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful works!

From a small and humble country, the Philippines, Thank you!

Sincerely,

Lito

Aaron says:

With the proliferation of iPhones and other media-laden, interconnected gadgets in our pockets, this seems to be a natural evolution of the business card–perhaps a bit more personal with this content. “Tell me about yourself.” “Ok, I’ll send you my card.” Slick. (Oh, and my wife, who’s a runner, totally dug this.)

Sherri says:

Hi Chase,

I’m brand new to your blog – saw your work on the GulfPhotoPlus website and that you’ll be in Dubai for the workshops coming up. Would LOVE to meet for a beer and a chat if you organize something!

Really like the vid too. I love making these vid montages – and they can have such impact ;-)

Hope to meet you sometime during the GPP 2009

-Sherri

Anonymous says:

I think it was pretty lame.. sorry

Mike Folden says:

Man, this video is so sick! I have shown it to many people and it continues to inspire. You hit it dead on man.

Nice work. Very compelling an inspiring story. thanks for sharing.

Al Marsh says:

Beautiful stuff. Our company is just getting in to this, and is training all of us, its’ writers, to multitask. It’s the future and I can see why you intend to do more. So, let Nike know about this.

Michal says:

Wonderful video, thank you for sharing!

It’s great to watch the lifestory of someone who has a passion for what he/she is doing.

boblog says:

Great use of timing and composition. Loved the subject matter as well. I also love to run. Thanks for sharing!

Cody H. says:

@ reflectionsbythehill

-C

watzabatza says:

Yeah! Impressive one. Great stuff though…

Great piece, very inspiring! It’s exactly the type of material that I would like to produce. REALLY NICE WORK!

_emile_ says:

@Mark: thinking about it but as you may have noticed my thoughts are not always crystal-clear (+ I was drunk last time)

batgeek says:

Looks and feels like a ‘New Balance’ TV ad.

jeremy earl says:

i’ve never been so jealous as i am of that slow motion effect, try as i may my 600 dollar jvc gvu6 wont pull it off :-)

but it did insipre.

Love the video!! I am curious. Did you resize the pictures to match the video resolution? Thanks for sharing.

Rocket Boy says:

Not the slow-mo, please not the slow-mo.

Scott says:

I run therefore I am.

Love the video not as a photographer (although I am and I do) but as a runner.

Mark says:

Wow Emilie very post modern and deconstructionist of you. But I have no idea what you’re really saying. :)

Did you like it or not?

I did…..

Mike Boehmer says:

Great vid. I love short documentaries like this. Well done.

TFY says:

pretty cool how you can take such a common aspect of life then make a really raw and compelling piece of media that strikes close to home. That is what this new generation of media and art is all about.

_Emile_ says:

doing some devil's advocate work here to counter all the unconditional praise :-P
(this is quick and dirty; argumentation may falter at any moment)

> It’s just a real, simple story
> about a real person who loves to
> run.

What is important about the content of art being 'real' or 'common'? To me characters like (in literature) Tom sawyer, Humbert Humbert or (in photography) the guy that jumps the pond in Cartier-bressons picture are more real as the girl in your video. If nothing else commonality seems to detract more then it adds.

I also wonder about the function of the word 'just' in this context … just a story … just a picture. It seems that this word in itself is an instruction to de-value what follows. Imagine Mark Rothko saying that he paints 'just bands of colours' or Mies van der Rohe drawing 'just a chair or a building'. In actuality these artists seem to spend considerable energy saying the exact opposite. Powerful statements tend be those that, upon first glance at least, counter reason (and this by no means automatically implies superlatives).

As for the apparant or superficial simplicity of artwork, it seems to me that the degree of complexity should be dictated by something other then the artist's desire. I cannot imagine Jackson Pollock intending to make complex works from the getgo. It just turned out that way. In contrast to Rothko who ended up with works with a high degree of apparant or superficial simplicity.

> Seems to me, we need more of
> these types of stories.

I would beg the opposite in case the goal is the creation or the seeking out of art (both of which I value pretty high). As if to say:

'Seems to me, we need more of other types of stories'

Emile

Mark says:

I liked this video a lot. I actually saw it referenced in the comments on the refresh post and went and found it.

On a side note your review of the D90 inspired me to ditch my D40x and upgrade. And I’ve LOVED the video. While nothing on the level of yours, I’ve enjoyed making some short running films myself.

Fog Run

and one of my daughter :

Run Sofi Run

Cheers
mbg

Gregory says:

Chase, first off great video, I really like the mix of video and stills. Now for a question about the Red ONE cam: My memory is hazy, but I thought you had a post a while back about Red brand cameras and how it’s a modular system and is changing the way we think about photography. Didn’t they develop a modular dSLR too? Not just a video system? Can’t seem to find that on the web anymore…

BenF says:

Great Video!

How did you get the shot where camera is underneath her and she is stepping into a puddle?

before I got into photography I studied sound design and multimedia narrative (gotta love a good college dual major).

there is a basic rule of video and multimedia storytelling – I don’t think I even learned it in class. I think I learned it from my father who is a psychologist.

Sound can carry poor visuals, but great visuals won’t carry poor sound.

oft overlooked in the photography sphere when entering into the multimedia narrative word.

peace,
James

Teddy says:

I love this video of Laura’s story. After a stressful morning, this video has put me at peace. It simple, yet well put together. The music, her voice, the concept of running has really calms my nerves. Amazing work as always Chase.

Electronick says:

It’s a great video. Very simple presentation, but the images are very good. I love the mix between pictures and movies.

As already said, the message is clear. Very good work.

As an ex photojournalist (as ex as one can get when you still document) I completely connect with this. Video is big, fun and important. Glad to see that you’re using imagery in all forms and enjoying it. People, myself included, are afraid of video and it’s affects on photo. But we as photographers need to learn to enjoy the things that all this new digital video can offer us. It’s 24fps people! :-D

minimalmark says:

Great video – as others have said the simplicity of it is what is so necessary and not just because there’s a downturn; perhaps a lack of simplicity in the first place is what’s caused the downturn….anyway, why use the nikon D3 camera and the red? was that just convenience?

I saw part of this vid while browsing your portfolios after the refresh but for some reason didn’t watch it all. Well, now I have. These kind of pieces are important, especially at the moment. With the various economic problems the world seems to be facing, stuff like this can remind everyone to just run (metaphorically speaking). Forget about the daily grind and take the time to embrace the simplicity of life.

Changing tack, video editing is something I’m going to have to learn sooner rather than later. I think it’s going to quickly become an important skill (video in general that is) that photographers need to have. The next few years are going to see some very exciting changes in the field of photography which is exciting in itself.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan Günther says:

I agree, that we need some more ‘normal’ stories like this one!

Andreas Holm says:

Great stuff Chase!

Martin Wolf says:

Hey Chase!
I found this vid a few days ago short before you announced the refreshed website.
I really like this kind of stuff. Looks pretty nice and I’m looking forward to see more like that.
Very sad, that the series was rescinded.
But as you are an advocate of personal work, I’m sure you will create some stories nevertheless.

What do you use to put the video in your portfolio? The quality is so much higher than on youtube.

B5 says:

I love it because it gets to the point. When I watched it I was expecting that now she will reveal that she is an Olympic champion or that she discovered an AIDS cure, then I stopped and wondered why do I (we) always expect superlatives in this kind of films? I think it’s great just because film is vibrating passion for running and working!

My friend Jure Breceljnik have a premiere of his film tonight in Cankarjev dom in Ljubljana, Slovenia. It’s about another great passionate female Natalija Gros. Will you come? More about it on my blog:

Cheers,
B5

Ellis says:

I was wondering the story behind the creation of it. I figured it was an experiment/personal work. I guess I was half right. I appreciate the simplicity of it. It shows that a simple story of something basic in life can still be compelling.

Amber says:

I loved the simplicity of her message – that running is time just for you. I use running as my work/life balance. Your choice of autumn as the visual backdrop for the most dramatic running photos/video to be created was fabulous.

I’m a runner, and love running for all the reasons that Laura does; except it is not easy. Every day takes motivation until my feet have been pounding the pavement for 20 to 30 min. Then the groove sets in and life is good. Same as art, some of us need time to find the rhythm to get to enjoyment. And we are so glad we persisted when we get there.

Shelby White says:

This was my favorite piece from the site revamp.

Looking forward to more of these in the future.

Great great use of space and composition,
very creative, I Loved the little baby running, made me laugh and couldn’t forget to say Nice life story.
Congrats

;)

Nice work Chase. Great example of and introduction to the genre. I believe there will be massive demand for this type of blended video/still documentary film-making – both for individuals and for corporates too.
The proliferation of consumer DSLRs that can handle HD video makes shooting material like this more accessible – I hope there will be enough [training] resources available to help people develop their editing skills. Getting video medium to work is a whole other layer on top of photography.