iPhone Photo of the Week

For a couple months now I’ve been posting an iPhone image to my Twitter and Facebook everyday. No photoshop, just in-iPhone-app editing and a mobile post. The exercise originally started for two reasons: 1)to keep the creative/vision mojo flowing; and 2)emphasize the image, not the tools needed to create it. Its been really key in my own creative development lately, and I’ve been jazzed to get a ton of community feedback around how this little endeavor has taken hold in others’day to day as well.

That said, I wanted to bring a piece of this action here to the blog on a semi-regular basis for those of you who are not tweeters or facebookers. Idea is that I’ll post a handful of my iphone images from the previous week or so here and ask for your vote in the comments about your favorite. Any above the belt feedback is always welcome, as would be links to iphone images that you’re creating.

So which is your favorite of the following four images? [first one here, other three after the jump…]

Some hotel lobby lamps…

- click the ‘continue reading’ link below …

Light at Frankfurt airport.

Flag on the beach in Dubai.

Fire hydrant by my local coffee shop.

Discarded shopping cart.

Vote for your fav, post a link, or post some feedback in the comments.

Notglaserei says:

I dugg some of you post as I cerebrated they were very helpful handy

Very good write-up. I definitely appreciate this website. Thanks!|

Axelrod says:

Fantastic site you have going here.

As soon as I detected this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

You need to be a part of a contest for one of the greatest blogs on the web.
I most certainly will recommend this site!

Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person’s website link on your page
at appropriate place and other person will also do similar for you.

It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before finish I am
reading this impressive article to improve my know-how.

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I

Interesting post right here. One thing I would like to say is the fact most professional job areas consider the Bachelor’s Degree just as the entry level requirement for an online degree. Although Associate Certification are a great way to start out, completing ones Bachelors opens many opportunities to various employment opportunities, there are numerous online Bachelor Course Programs available from institutions like The University of Phoenix, Intercontinental University Online and Kaplan. Another concern is that many brick and mortar institutions offer you Online variants of their certifications but often for a significantly higher fee than the providers that specialize in online higher education degree plans.

Xbox LIVE says:

Wow. This website is awesome. How do you make it look this good ?

ゃづとた says:

Greetings! Very helpful advice in this particular post! It is the little changes that produce the gr

Nova Hayashi says:

This is merely what I have been looking used for all sunlight hours elongated. Achieve not halt updating this blog.

I wished to thank you for this enormous learn!! I beyond doubt having enjoyable with each little insufficiently small piece of it I’ve you bookmarked to take a look by the side of new gear you post…

Margert Olis says:

Really Good Work…. You Helping People very much.

Brant Zari says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

Acquire App Trailers Today!

Absolutely wonderful video. I learned so much more about eagles from this video. We boat on the Mississippi River in Red Wing, MN and share an area by the lock and dam spillway with a pair of eagles for years now. We will anchor out for a weekend and watch their antics and feeding. They have swooped down in front of our boat to catch fish in the early mornings, one even dragged a turtle out of the river and proceeded to feed on it on shore. As noted in the video they are certainly territorial chasing out any hawk that dares to enter their domain. So looking forward to summer again to visit them.

thats great article. thanks a lot…

lobby lights and the flag on the beach and dubai

Anonymous says:

Lobby lamps for me, closely followed by fire hydrant. :-)

Anonymous says:

the lobby lamps probably. even though the image confuses my brain a little.

Eric says:

Lamps or hydrant, lamps or hydrant, I can’t pick between the two, all are great. Love the selective focus on the 2nd shot.

Julie says:

hotel lights fo sho.

Jeff says:

Fire Hydrant I am a color whore and a Birdsill Holly fan.

dominique says:

Lobby lights all the way. Love the repetition of form and the contast.

Its the lobby lights for me. Just love the angle. Its interesting and unique.

wendy wood says:

the first one, by far, is my favorite. It makes me feel like I am scuba diving in a modern ocean of basket corals…

Henry A. says:

I like the contrast between the fire hydrant and the blue background.

Henry A. says:

I like the contrast between the fire hydrant and the blue background.

Timothy Lusk says:

I love this shot, Chase. I’ve captured a few similar shots (hotel lights) when I was down in PDX.

Bryan says:

I’ve been enjoying the iPhone pics on Facebook. I used to use a similar technique for practice in the pre-digital days. I would shoot with disposable cameras for practice. It really makes you think about composition and available lighting. Nice work.

Chase,
I like the shopping cart. It has a documentary feel to it. BTW, what iphone photo app do you use. I just got an iphone for my birthday and hope to do something similar on facebook. Not everyday but mostly to get the creativity flowing again.
Bryan

superman says:

i am so glad that you wrote favorite and not “like”. The abandoned shopping cart and the Hotel Lobby lights have a good feel to them for opposite reasons. The lobby image looks and feels like something cool is about to happen, while the shopping cart picture has a sense of finality to it.

Cheray Bressler says:

# 1 is sick! The others are great, but #1 is the most interesting by far in my opinion. I have never seen lamps this way, it is very fresh!

ou my favorite is Discarded shopping cart.

doug menuez says:

Dude, these are so cool. I’m inspired and starting to download all my iphone pix and figure out something fun with them… thanks for the kick in the ass!

Aaron says:

Looks like I”m a little late to this. Better late than never I suppose. I think I like number 1 the best followed by the second image.

Here’s a few of mine from a post a while back.

Cheers.

Adam says:

I like the hotel lobby lights. I like the concept behind what you are doing here. Keep up the good work.

reg gordon says:

lobby one, and you think the same, thats why its the one on your opening page!!
Seriously its one of those shots that is just a show stopper

Andrew Gant says:

Fire Hydrant for its color and contrast. Love it.

The flag and hydrant are overcooked for my taste. I like the Frankfurt one and hotel lobby.

Anonymous says:

Flag rocks.

The first picture is the best me thinks. Iphone quality not that bad for a 2.0 megapixel.

Aru says:

as usual awesome work ..

a continues inspiration of your videos, blog & pictures brought me a little higher than a amateur

please try have a look on these pictures… I love your comments on these & these words will help use to move in wright direction

also i invite all chase jarvis fans to have a look of these pictures & leave your comments

Anonymous says:

For me it is “Fire hydrant by my local coffee shop” !

becky ruppel says:

love the lamps! I’m suing my iPhone camera more too.

Levi J Webb says:

The Fire hydrant by my local coffee shop shot does it for me, am liking the blue and the colour contrast.

jaclyn says:

i’m a big fan of iphone photos…but that one of the hotel lobby is maybe my favorite. ever.

Mathieu says:

The lobby light for the framing and perspective, just before the hydrant for the geometry and colours. What Iphone app are you using for post?

Matt Smith says:

I vote the fire hydrant for sure.

Tim Knight says:

I’m sorry Chase. I understand and support the project.

But…

iPhone photos just don’t do it for me.

Then, again, I don’t twitter, don’t have a facebook page, never been on flickr, and don’t have an iPhone. I guess you could consider me Joe McNally without the talent. Yet, even HE has a blog.

Greg says:

lobby lights is my favorite and i'm glad you went color on it over the b&w; (although both were nice the color just gives it a little something extra). the fire hydrant is a really close second for me. love the colors and shapes.

you actually inspired me to take up the iphone photo of the day concept a couple months ago. here are a couple of mine that turned out alright:

Anonymous says:

My favorite is the Frankfurt airport one, then the fire hydrant.

You are very inspiring.

Lobby Lamps….cool perspective!

Athena says:

I think you have a bit of variety, so there is one for any type of viewer. I’m drawn to the shopping cart and the lobby lights because of the emotion and mood they have. If you are making me pick one ( I imagine you having a tally sheet at the office) I pick the cart for it’s extreme mood.

Rolsted says:

The hotel lobby lights.
// Thomas, Denmark

n1x0n says:

If i’ll had to put it on my wall and watch it every day – i’ll pick the flag.

Anonymous says:

Love the shopping trolley. Great iconography, has a certain man-ray, police photography aspect. Noah

Some hotel lobby lamps…

by far, very interesting and also a beautiful photo.

Sno

Love the lobby lights. The whimsical shapes, the wonderful colors…and the not-unpleasant dose of vertigo…make it a wild and enjoyable view.

Sherri Innis says:

shopping cart – especially given the global situation.
this was taken in Dubai right? Even more irony then, since it was the booming shopping centre of the ME, and that well has dried up significantly leaving suffering, stranded carts scattered around the city.

Stephanie Vermillion says:

The discarded shopping cart. It’s so lifelike. :)

OnTheRoad22 says:

Fire hydrant! Great contrast and composition. Hotel Lobby 2nd place.

Alex says:

Number 5 – Discarded shopping cart. No doubt.

Anonymous says:

1, 5, 3, 2, 4 in that order. 1 always amazes me when I see it.

I like the light at the Frankfurt Airport. Second, the shopping cart. Third, fire hydrant.

Anonymous says:

I say that the hydrant is best.

Also, Chase thanks so much for starting this. It has really been an inspiration. I made a gallery for iPhone shots on my website:

lisat2 says:

By far- and i mean orders of magnitude- the hotel lobby lights. Reminiscent of muted sea anemones.

LotusBlu says:

Love the movement and contrast in the hotel lobby lights. Excellent.

CZed says:

1) Flag on the beach in Dubai.
2) Shopping Cart

Nick Carver says:

Hotel lobby lights for sure. Love it.

John P. Dunnigan says:

Okay, this isn't as easy as it seems (love so many of them), but I'm going with hotel lobby lamps — love the angle, mood, lighting (LOL). I'm actually one of those who you've inspired to try it myself. Check it out if you ever get a free minute: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2005303&id;=1027980434

Anonymous says:

Lobby lamps.

Ryan Smith says:

Flag on the Beach is my top pick.

www.markdunlapphotography.blogspot.com says:

It’s a toss up between the hotel lights and fire hydrant, both with cool colors and composition. The flag’s a close second or third. Not that excited about the shopping cart.

Jayna says:

Always the best content from these priogdiuos writers.

My favorite is
Discarded shopping cart.

FOOSE says:

hotel lobby lamps. love the angle

Marcviln says:

Love the flag. Stark & minimalistic.

Geoff Harrison says:

Has to be the Shopping Cart. Love the perspective and looks great in black and white.

Hank Graham says:

Another vote here for the lobby lights

Erin Wilson says:

Hotel lobby lamps. A little swooning going on here.

Tilman says:

Shopping card and Frankfurt airport lights are my favorites.

Neil Corman says:

Something with the flag on the beach really stands out to me, and I think one reason is knowing you did it with the iPhone and minimal adjustments. The grain in the image carries the feel of the beach as well.

The fire hydrant! I love it. For some reason it reminds me of a little robot or something.

Brian says:

Frankfurt airport lights

peyv says:

You make it look soo easy!!
Thanks for sharing all your great work.

Jen Johnson says:

I like the 1st 1, lobby lights

J/C says:

I have to go with the Frankfurt photo as my favorite. When I first saw it, it really had a dramatic impact.

Dustin Stone says:

I say the lobby lights. There is a cool motion illusion. When I look at it, it feels like I am falling into it. Weird and cool.

shopping cart, yo.

Pedro says:

I vote for Frankfurt airport, but must admit the shopping cart is tempting

Someone said Photoraphy is about 3 things:
EYE: to be able to “see” the photo before you actually take it.
TECHNIQUE: to make sure the camera behaves the way you’d expect it to.
CRITERIA: to be able to choose the right one from a multitude of images taken.

I’d humbly add POST-PRO TECHNIQUE, to be able to deliver finished work.

Frankfurt is 100% about EYE, and that’s what makes the difference between a talented photographer and any other one.

The shopping cart is loaded with significance, but unless you arranged the scene, the next photographer could have also taken it.

Hope this is not mis-understood. I deeply respect everyone’s EYE, TECHNIQUE AND CRITERIA (and post-pro) (specially Chases’s)

P.

tommyjz says:

hotel lobby for sho

PJ says:

My vote is for the fire Hydrant

the Dacus says:

The fire hydrant stands out to me and I’m intrigued by the lamps.

I love the perspective and color of the lobby lights, but the shopping cart wins out for me with great contrast, texture, and symbolism.

Sunshine says:

Certainly the light at the airport, its something new and exciting to look at…not your every day pic ;)

Bo Boswell says:

I’m all over the hotel lobby lamps with the light at Frankfurt airport a close second.

raminka says:

Fire Hydrant….Great Comp….beautiful colors…!!!

Roberto Seba says:

“Discarded shopping cart.”
Definitely this one. Nice angle and I love the lines converging to the bottom with the horizontal ones adding even more tension.
Pretty cool still life.

Nathan says:

Shopping Cart ftw

Nick Jungels says:

Discarded shopping cart. Conveys more to me. I like hotel lights too.

Hotel Lobby Lamps for me!

Tom says:

It’s a difficult one, each have an element which could make it a favourite. I think though, that the Frankfurt airport just pips the others. I do like the saturated colours in the fire hydrant but for me, the abstract nature of the black and white image is more powerful than the others. t

Zach Gray says:

Some hotel lobby lamps…

greg says:

Tough choices. But I will go with the flag. Good stuff.

Mathias says:

My favourite is the light @ Frankfurt Airport. The abstract looks makes me think of a spacecraft.

ugleecrissie says:

hotel lobby lights!

Anonymous says:

fire hydrant!

difficult …….. lighting shot at Frankfurt. Really like the abstraction.

Diana says:

Hotel Lamps. They’re all great choices though.

John Kochmanski says:

Discarded shopping cart.

I like the hotel lobby lights best, but the shopping cart is very emotive.

TomboCheck says:

The first photo has the most visual interest, but I like the texture on the shopping cart the most.

Dennis says:

I like the airport photo

Anonymous says:

fire hydrant, just love it

lackeyman.com says:

photo #1, hands down!

Tom Scott says:

I like the trolley the best, look like a dinosaur remains, love it.

Here’s mine – http://www.scottvision.ie/section258754.html

Peace

I would say pic no 1. Great.

Steve says:

I like the shopping cart.

Lobby links. Amazing what you can see, when you’re looking with the right kind of eye. twitter @mikeseb

Ollie says:

I love the fire hydrant for the colours and composition, but the lamps and the shopping cart come in a close second.

Juha Ylitalo says:

First one (lobby lamps) is my favorite.Something in those lamps reminds me about space operas with big rocket engines.
Fire hydrant is good runner up, if I would have to pick two.

I had the opportunity to spend time with Chase and his crew in Dubai. Had an Amazing time.

For a behind the scene shot of the flag picture, go here:

Gregory says:

hotel lobby lamps… the colors and the pattern along with the bulbs with soft focus make it.

Lobby lights if you could crop the three in the bottom right corner out of the shot, shopping cart because you can’t.

Gotta say that I am really liking hotel lights. The composition of the lights and the black negative space play well together.

I am wondering if you are pulling these and doing some post work or is there an iphone app that allows you to make adjustments in camera…I mean phone?

Ken says:

Lobby Lights.

They look like drums to me. The coloration is nice. I also lose track of up and down with this one, and it allows me to keep exploring the image.

Jemima says:

Love them – the first is my fave – by far.

I use Camera Bag too – such a fun ap. I run my blog mostly off iphone photos, and best way to see them is probably to look at the iphone category on my site:

Enjoy!

Gregory says:

Hey Chase,

My favorite of your iPhone photos in the hotel lights. I like the color and perspective, and the shadows are great.

You've inspired me to use my iPhone in the same way and upload my images to my facebook. I feel like, even though it's digital photography, the simplicity of it makes you think about the basics of photography a little more than you would shooting with your DSLR.

Here's to stretching your limitations…cheers!

My iPhone uploads here:

Matt Lange says:

#1. Reminds me of how I saw things in college. Whether I was imagining it or something else caused it, if you know what I mean.

Trippy candles masquerading as lobby lights.

2nd is the bokeh in the Frankfurt airport.

Brittney says:

My favorite is the photo of the hotel lobby lights; I like how it feels kind of ethereal and outer-spacey.

DJJ says:

Fire hydrant.

Adrian Young says:

My favourite would have to be the lobby lights, I love the tones and shapes combining for a beautiful image. The longer you look at it the more confusing the perspective is.

The abandoned shopping cart comes in a close second though.

Shopping cart – I have a strange fascination with photographing the abandoned carts I find.

Otherwise, I’d have to go with the lobby lights; I’m digging the composition and feel of that one.

Matt Beaty says:

Shopping cart or the flag, it’s a close call.

James Bong says:

I love the gritty, saturated look of the flag on the beach, but the colors and vignetting of the fire hydrant really stand out!

Jay Goodrich says:

I still like the lobby lights the best. I think it is the composition of repeating circles and how the light from the fixtures works within the frame. The fire hydrant is great as well.

Nikki says:

My favorite is both the fire hydrant (love the colors) and the shopping cart (so lonely and abandoned. Very cool!