POV Photography: One Helluva Bird’s Eye View

POV photography has come a long way. I’ve long had a serious interest in it, but this video by José Luis Ortiz (and behind the scenes photographed here by Erwan Grey) brings a whole new meaning to helmet cam. Couldn’t pass on sharing this…

It used to be a pie in the sky idea to get a “birds-eye” view. Then we made cameras smaller, and we attached them to remote control helicopters. Now we’re just strapping them straight to eagles!? Sure some pro cine guys could argue this footage has some room to grow–say smooth cam in Final Cut Pro–but don’t tell me this isn’t amazing. Props for the innovation, guys.

Dig at the 5:50 and after 7:00 mark the kind of speeds at which this raptor is diving. I’m excited to see where this type of video can go. Can I please watch this bird hunt?

Photo of the rig and addt’l POV stuff after the jump.

Photo by Erwan Grey.

The whole story, in Spanish, plus lots more of Erwan’s photos here. Thx NotCot!

[Makes my Chase Jarvis TECH: POV Photography video look like child’s play.]
[Guy Ritchie, however, sure has figured it out with some help from Nike.]

Hiya, just became cognizant of your website through Google, and located that must be really informative. My business is gonna look out for brussels. I am going to appreciate if you continue this from now on. A number of people is going to be took advantage of your writing. Cheers!

Would care for to relentlessly get well-run outstanding website ! .

Normally I don’t read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice article.

incredible. I will be sending that to my peeps shortly. Thanks for passing this along.

Evan says:

Had a friend try this out over the weekend, except he was in a glider. He used two cameras, one on the tail and one in the cockpit. It gives you a similar feeling but a little more smooth in flight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB5SYLU8UbkI love this concept of POV photography and video.

Marcvs says:

F***ing with wildlife minding its own business… Why didn’t I think of this?!

Paul Lambert says:

Holly Cr*&#$

After watching this video for the second time, I know I am going to some wide and crazy dream tonight.
Paul Lambert

Tim Knight says:

Now that I am completely airsick, I’ll move on to the next entry.

Chase, I first saw POV in wildlife on a BBC Documentary called “ANIMAL CAMERA” where Steve Leonard explains the secret behind the of birds of prey in flight. Check it out!.

Cynthia Wood says:

if the rig is attached to the eagle’s underside (as shown in the still photograph), why does the video appear to have the rig attached to the eagle’s back…? just curious.

fas says:

That is certainly awesome. Seeing it so close for the first time.

Ricardo says:

You guys are sick !

Glockoma says:

Raptors, particularly eagles, are my favorite subjects…this is too cool…thanks for sharing Chase!!

Glockoma says:

danno says:

super bad ass. good post chase

rocksteady,
danno~

Anonymous says:

Gotta love min 5:50 onwards of this… Very nice stuff

those dives are the sickest too! Chase I wanna see you get one of the waterproof pov cams that gopro makes and strap it to a fish, I bet they see some crazy stuff.

Holy smokes thats so next level, way better then my pov!

ves says:

I could watch this all day long…..well……sort of. This is a great video.

Chaz Boyd says:

If you ever wondered what flying would be like outside of a vehichle or man made object, this is it. Very amazing video.

Rick Lohre says:

Kickin’!!!
Anyone remember “The Beastmaster” movie from 1982?

Craig Lee says:

Wow! That is an amazing video. I’ve always been partial to raptors, thus it was awesome to see that.

Next I would like to see a similar set-up with a dolphin or porpoise. I saw some video like that from National Geographic where they mounted cameras to penguins. But, to do the same for dolphins in a pod … that would be incredible.

Larry Ockene says:

Reminds me of a Sam Easterson video installation that was at ICP a few years ago as part of Ecotopia, titled “Animal, Vegetable, Video”. Sam outfits critters large and small with video cameras. The range was amazing – flys, tarantulas, armadillos, falcons, cows, tumbleweeds and more. His original site is no longer active, but you can find a few videos and still frames at natureholdsmycamera.com, YouTube, etc.

Ryan Smith says:

I’ve been wanting to do something like this with my dog, but haven’t been able to figure out how to mount a camera to her head.

This gives me motivation to film her running through the forest.

Awesome footage!

This footage is astonishing… Kind of makes you want to grow some wings…

And the speed… Makes me breathless to see the acceleration and deceleration that these birds can do. Thanks for the share.

Incredible view. Just awesome. Thanks for sharing!

J Sandifer says:

Sick video…thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Mad props on the idea!
I’ve seen these birds hunt around JFK in NY, they use them to keep the flocks out of flight paths to lower bird strikes. Seeing the real bird’s eye view is something else altogether.
Thanks for sharing.

-N

Incredible.

I have done that with the remote control planes and helicopters, but that is closer to what man dreams of when wanting to fly in my mind.

Thanks Chase!