Fly Like Superman Over NYC

I tweeted this earlier today, but just couldn’t resist posting it here on the blog as well. Sure there’s all kinds of great aerial, RC, mega extendo tripod VR, or unique POV photography stuff going on these days, but this is quite beautifully executed. Like Google earth NYC, but with a whole lotta polish.

Fly like superman over NYC here.

File under supercool. Or Superman. (Eat your heart out, Clark Kent. The ol’ innernets lets me fly too).

[Photographs by Oleg Gaponyuk + Andrei Zubets. Stitched together by John Colebrook. Thx @andrewamine for the tip.]

22 Responses to Fly Like Superman Over NYC

1. Kevin Steele May 11, 2009 at 9:46 pm #

Planet View in the Downtown thumbnail is pretty trippy! (right click for planet view, architectural view, fisheye view etc)

2. Zak.Shelhamer May 11, 2009 at 9:46 pm #

Ohh heck yes! Thanks i missed the tweet earlier thanks for the awesomeness

3. MilesBintz May 11, 2009 at 9:47 pm #

How were these videos put together? Or is that “secret sauce”? :)

4. Anonymous May 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

Gorgeous and smooth!! Thanks for sharing. I’ve never been to the Big Apple. Those bridges are really spectacular.

5. John Colebrook May 12, 2009 at 12:50 am #

Hi Guys – Just wanna clarify – I did not stitch the images – However I did create the whole flashy presentation.

Oh and I`m hosting it (220gb a day – !!)

Cheers

6. Rolando May 12, 2009 at 4:44 am #

Pretty amazing! I like how you can see the curve of the earth. Visibility in NYC is not the best and this looks crystal clear all the way to the horizon, it is impressive. Good job!

7. Jeffrey Friedl May 12, 2009 at 5:59 am #

It’s very pretty, but I don’t see where the “flying” comes in… am I missing a control? I seem to be able to change only the view from one static position. (It’s pretty enough as it is, though, but flying would be all the nicer :-)

@Rolando, you can’t see the curvature of the earth from that height… the curve you see in the presentation is artificial. It’s pretty, but you can’t even see that much curve from 5 miles up in a jumbo jet…

8. howdy May 12, 2009 at 8:03 am #

Try looking straight down and then hit the zoom button. Especially over buildings (as in the “downtown” frame). Really freakin’ cool.

9. T. C. Knight May 12, 2009 at 10:45 am #

Nice ride.

Is it a New York thing to have two suns; one in the east and one in the west?

Cool effects, thanks for pointing to it Chase.

10. car blog May 12, 2009 at 11:41 am #

That is flipping awesome :)

11. Vince Penman May 12, 2009 at 3:23 pm #

This was really cool. Someday I hope to fly. Where are the jet packs we were promised as kids? Stinking future. This will do for now I suppose.

One question though. Did anyone else look up in the sky and see the two suns? I had no idea New York was on Tatooine.

12. Violet May 12, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

Hey John Colebrook!

Really enjoyable to watch. I love it that you spelled the Brooklyn Bridge as “Brooklin Bridge”!

Set as a homepage it acts as a wonderful screensaver.

13. Mike Kobal May 13, 2009 at 5:24 am #

wow, thanks for posting. your block and website totally rocks, Chase Jarvis!
    cheers,
    Mike

14. reg gordon May 13, 2009 at 1:05 pm #

think we nuked their bandwith.
    account has been suspended

15. Professional photographer May 13, 2009 at 10:51 pm #

absolutely wonderful photo., i really like that. too good. thanks for sharing.

16. info May 18, 2009 at 2:58 am #

I don`t know why it got suspended cause I`m the server owner! I have fixed a few problems – it really wasn`t meant to be this popular!

17. Kancelaria prawo pracy Warszawa November 23, 2011 at 9:21 am #

I just wanted to send a comment so as to say thanks to you for all the precious tips and tricks you are posting at this site. My time-consuming internet investigation has now been recognized with useful facts and techniques to exchange with my classmates and friends. I ‘d say that many of us visitors are unequivocally fortunate to dwell in a perfect network with many marvellous individuals with good basics. I feel very happy to have seen your website page and look forward to really more enjoyable minutes reading here. Thanks a lot again for all the details.

18. Refugio Goodine November 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Why would bidders want the public in with them?

19. Clare Condina December 23, 2012 at 1:17 am #

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

20. Humberto Benard February 14, 2013 at 6:50 am #

Great, I care for your situate. Desire check my site as well.

21. kacikdladzieci July 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm #

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the
    blogger lovers however this piece of writing is in fact a nice
    article, keep it up.

22. EQN Platin August 18, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

One thing I want to say is that often before obtaining more computer memory, take a look at the machine directly into which it will be installed. In the event the machine is definitely running Windows XP, for instance, the actual memory threshold is 3.25GB. Setting up a lot more than this would purely constitute just a waste. Make certain that one’s mother board can handle this upgrade volume, as well. Great blog post.