iPhone Art Graces Cover of The New Yorker

So this time last month it was a still from the RED one camera featured on the cover of Esquire Magazine. Now it’s iPhone art on the cover of The New Yorker magazine. Yes, my friends, the future is upon us. The Matrix. And I love it.

Speaking about artist Jorge Colombo, abcnews.com reports:

“Using the Brushes application, one of thousands available for the iPhone and iPod touch, he has digitally painted dozens of New York scenes, including Grand Central Terminal, classic downtown delicatessens and the Empire State Building. This week one of his sketches will assume a spot coveted by artists in New York and all over the world: the cover of The New Yorker magazine.”

A made-for-morning-show-TV interview with Jorge here.

Well…told you it wasn’t getting any less interesting around here. So welcome to The Matrix…Now let’s just hope we’re all brighter than Neo and have a vocabulary beyond “whoa” to discuss what’s happening.

[If you're a noobie to this site, then you should know I've long been enamored with the iphone-as-damn-cool-camera and I send a daily iPhone image out into the world via my Twitter account (follow me) and my Facebook fan page (become a fan). My recently updated iPhone photo gallery is here. Check it. Now, just waiting for The New Yorker to call...and ever jealous of Jorge!]

20 Responses to iPhone Art Graces Cover of The New Yorker

1. Ilan May 25, 2009 at 11:30 pm #

Funny to see that one month you have a cover with a ridiculous expansive camera, and on the other (not so cheap but widely used) cellphone.
    World of contrasts contrasts…

2. Heinz May 26, 2009 at 2:20 am #

Just shows you that it’s not the equipment that matter, but the photographer behind it and the light on the subject.

3. Gary May 26, 2009 at 6:54 am #

How the hell were they able to get a decent resolution for print?

4. Anonymous May 26, 2009 at 7:02 am #

The range of possibilities is a wonderful thing to keep in mind for what’s on the horizon.

5. Bruno Silva May 26, 2009 at 7:13 am #

Portuguese…!!!What Else? :)

6. Dorian May 26, 2009 at 9:18 am #

Hi Chase can you please enlighten those of us who do not posess an Iphone, as to what makes the camera on the iphone so Special?

thanks
    Dorian South Africa

7. fas May 26, 2009 at 11:05 am #

Very weird, I doubt that the iphone cam can do that well.

8. Danie Nel May 26, 2009 at 11:08 am #

Brave new world, isn’t it Chase. I suppose the quesion is whether you’re infront of the wave or laggin’ behind. As uncomfortable as it is – I’m routing for going ahead. My Samsung i600 images are going out on my Twitter account semi-daily as well. Only prob is: that is only 1mp! Still loads of fun.

9. Alan Matthews Photography May 26, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Just like when the common Joe could have a prosumer DSLR how afraid were professional photographers really that any MWC (mom with a camera) would threaten business? All this seems interesting to follow and discuss but to think still photography or that the iPhone will replace photographers feels a bit silly. No doubt change is afoot, though. I just don’t see these two events (RED ONE and NYorker cover) as signs things will change overnight. I could be wrong….

10. Jake Hurlbut May 26, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

Chase, I know this is off topic, but whatever happened to the monthly guest blog thing you started? (Sort of)

11. mike kobal May 26, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

yeah, cool idea, the picture is lame though, just because it was taken with an iphone does not make it cool

12. Isabel May 26, 2009 at 1:34 pm #

Chase,
    can you give us a list of the iphone apps that you use to edit your photos?

Isabel Alvarez
    Spain

13. Matt May 26, 2009 at 5:20 pm #

@ Isabel

Check out this previous post where Chase talked about some of the apps he uses.

14. brandt abner May 26, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

Check out my latest post-all IPhone!

Thanks, Chase!

15. Anonymous May 30, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

The real question is whether or not this image would have been on the cover if it was not an Iphone image.

Seems to be simply part of print medias desperation to stay relevant.

16. Chicago photographer June 1, 2009 at 10:42 am #

Can’t wait to see somebody like Vanity Fair try that!

17. Chicago photographer June 1, 2009 at 10:47 am #

Speaking of iPhones, I just came across this little dandy: remote triggering of your regular camera from the phone. Sort of a twist on iPhone pictures.

18. sd class 10 July 22, 2014 at 5:11 am #

Definitely consider that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be at the web the easiest thing
    to take into account of. I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as other folks think about concerns
    that they just don’t know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as smartly
    as outlined out the whole thing with no
    need side effect , other people can take a signal. Will likely be back to
    get more. Thank you

19. Http://Youtube.Com/Watch?V=Eb_Vg4Zxjdo September 19, 2014 at 5:43 pm #

Having read this I thought it was really enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!