NYPD Tells NYPD That Photography Is (Still) Legal

In light of some recent harassing of photographers on the streets and subways of NYC, the New York City Police Department issued an internal memo reminding themselves that photography on the streets is (still) legal.

“Members of the service are reminded that photography and the videotaping of public places, buildings and structures are common activities within New York City. Given the City’s prominence as a tourist destination, practically all such photography will have no connection to terrorism or unlawful conduct.

…Members of the service many not demand to view photographs taken by a person absent consent or exigent circumstances…

…Metropolitan Transporation Authority (MTA) regulations expressly permit photography and video recording in subways…although permission is required for commercial shoots…”

The full order can be found after the jump…[Click the ‘continue reading’ link below.]

Thanks to Todd at GalleryHopper.org

Marie says:

With just having few week exercise there is a much great improvement in one.
They accept those who are aged 18 to 60, both male and female
but they do not accept ‘healthy’ volunteers. Researchers have theorized that lead, mercury, and air pollution might contribute to the risk of MS, but they have not established a clear link.

In the current economic climate everyone is worried about their budget.
This is the reason why custom jewellery Calgary has is famous for the reliability of their services.

How can a bride incorporate their theme when choosing their wedding jewellery.
No matter what item of wedding jewellery you are buying,
making the right purchase will be the key to completing
your wedding outfit. You can also try bending your precious metals and stones.
The complete collection of Chipita jewerly can be accessed online at several
online jewellery shopping stores. To make your occasion more special, you can buy women jewellery
which is created with new designs. Digital photography for
insurance purposes is a wide-open field that is rarely tapped by photographers.
There are some beautiful pendants available from this stone and
these can look beautiful hung from simple silver chains
or it could be a handcrafted design that has other semi-precious stones in the designs.
This unique feature of hallmarking the stones makes it easy
to distinguish a real diamond from a fake one.

Josie says:

Having an existing relationship with a good, trustworthy plumber comes in very handy.
Clear overflow holes when doing periodic checks for problems and plumbing issues that should
be addressed. These people at some point or the other would have used
the services of a plumber and they would know of a good one.

There is certaainly a lot to learn aboutt this subject.
I really like all of the points you hzve made.

I’ve not also long ago started a weblog, the information you present on this website has aided me tremendously. Thank you for the whole time & perform.

Asking questions are actually pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything entirely, except this post provides pleasant understanding yet.

Immediately after study a handful of your weblog posts with your online web site now, we definitely like your method for blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark online web-site list and are checking back quickly. Pls appear into my net page also and make me conscious what you take into consideration.

A very first collection of defence for the eye balls is sometimes sunglasses,
as well as the tint of your lens can perform very much to combat undesirable results of glare.
It’s my heartfelt hope that as we stand on the threshold of another holiday season, that we can approach each other with open hearts and minds, remembering that, given the truth and a chance, most people will do their best for
each other, simply because they can and they want to. This new design delivers unexcelled
power and productivity.

Avery says:

each time i used tto read smaller articles which as well clear their motive,and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading here.

I like what you guys are developing here. Such smart operate and writing! Carry on together with the superb works guys. I have incorporated your web site into my blogroll and my internet site about HCG. I assume it can improve the value of my websiteand the traffic too.

bikini says:

That may be REALY NEAT AND Inventive. Retain UP THE Fantastic Perform

Londons top personal trainer Nash Jocic

I haven¡¦t checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I¡¦ll add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

I’ve learn some good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you put to create this sort of excellent informative website.

Reading, watching movies or plays, or related activities that may possibly bring inspiration.

Foster says:

An oufstanding share! I have just forwaarded this onto
a frjend who has been doing a liftle research oon this.
And hhe actually bought me breakfast ddue to the fact that I discolvered it foor
him… lol. So leet me reword this…. Thznk YOU for thee meal!!

But yeah, thanms for splending slme time to discuss this subjecft herre onn your site.

Man this is so informative, I love reading about health. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

I¡¦m no longer certain the place you are getting your information, but good topic. I needs to spend some time finding out much more or working out more. Thanks for wonderful info I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

Waldo Milsap says:

I think this is among the most significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

homepage says:

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this outstanding blog!

I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding
your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to
new updates and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.
Chhat soon!

Awesome!, I love reading about diet. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

The 2011 Frazier Canteen dinner & dance is SOLD OUT! If you’d like to be added to our mailing list next year, call (502) 753-5663.

de Carli says:

There is a really sad story about a Greek tourist snapping on London tube and arrested for the same reason. I see some connections with this case and the "consumer needs" of a camera that detect smiles.
The image future is not just possibilities, it shall be the lack of humanity too

LisaNewton says:

Hey, can someone let the “security guards” who haunt downtown LA the same thing? Or maybe it would be better if the LAPD told the “security guards” to leave the photographers alone.

Fenix says:

Sorry. I meant to say I was using neither lightstands nor tripods

Fenix says:

Thanks Chase,

I have been stopped, harassed, interrupted by police and private security at least a dozen times in uptown Charlotte. I’ve often being told there is a city ordinance against photography downtown (no tripods, no light stands). Of course no such ordinance exists–I finally had to get a letter from the police public information officer saying so.

I really wish law-enforcement agencies would get it through their heads that photography is not a crime.

Anonymous says:

Sad and funny. What police person in the USA thinks they can obstruct people from taking pictures in public if they’re not breaking any laws?

Alex says:

I wish the Metropolitan Police would be smart enough to circulate something like that here in London, the situation here is betting beyond a joke.

Mark D says:

Hopefully, Chicago will have something like this soon. This is a terrible story about what can happen even if you are withing your rights http://discarted.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/court-clears-chicago-photojournalist/

Chris says:

Next time I goto NYC, I’m printing this and taking it with me.

Its crap like this that makes me think I will write a screnplay about a time in the future when photography is outlawed, and all the rebels shoot with Holgas, because in the future the Robots won’t know how to develop film. Also Nikon and Canon fanboys will all fight to the death… pure cinema gold.

jeremy says:

Hey Chase. Thanks for posting this up. I’ve also blogged about the Operations Order with some practical advice from my experience as an NYC photojournalist on how to use it.

brandt abner says:

The police I guess are a bit paranoid of
people taking pics of “places of interest”.
I was shooting at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge
recently, and went thru an “inquiry” of sorts.

Groups of people shooting (tourists) have it easier than one or two people with a monopod!

CarBlog says:

Well thats a sigh of relief, LOL.

Mike Kobal says:

I have not had any problems lately, right after 911 bldg guards chased me away shooting on the sidewalk, lots of police in the subway, no one seems to mind when tourists snap away and their flash goes off, but there is a chance you will get your bag searched.

JamesBillany says:

chase love your blogs, id love to see more video, iv been looking at alot of your videographers work, its inspirational!

James

udi says:

Just in time. thanks. I am going to print this and put in my pocket for my upcoming trip

Oh thank god. In England they’re pushing it to be a felony. The irony in Britain though is that they say no pictures yet they have CCTV (those street cameras) EVERYWHERE filming your EVERY MOVE and yet photographers can’t; secondly they ask for photographers to turn in any photos of terrorist activity in the subway station after that subway bombing while strictly condemning photography in the subway systems… what the hell…

Jon M says:

Saperboy,in general, hand-held devices do not require a permit. They’re now more concerned with blocking sidewalks, shoots with vehicles, large amounts of equipment, etc.

Under the adopted rules, a permit would be required for filming if equipment or vehicles, as defined in the rule, are used or if the person filming asserts exclusive use of City property. Equipment does not include hand-held devices (such as hand-held film, still, or television cameras or videocameras) or tripods used to support such cameras, but a permit would be required in certain situations when the person filming asserts exclusive use of City property while using a hand-held device.source

saperboy says:

It was mentioned that taking photograph with lights and tripod would require a permission… does the mention of “light” also includes speedlites, they might argue that.

Alain says:

Thanks for the clarification, I am forwarding this to a few of my friends who were worried to see me taking pictures in the subway…

Justin S. says:

Thanks for posting this.

Jon M says:

Chase, thanks. Shot a small commercial job in Times Square last night with no problem. Many types of photography in New York City no longer even need a permit (as of last year). For photographers shooting on the street in New York for the first time, check this article:

Summary of NYC Photo RulesThe staff at the Mayor’s Film Office is extremely helpful, so I always call and doublecheck with them to make sure I’m not in a location that’s under special jurisdiction. New York has some odd areas that fall under different departments. For example, shooting in parks requires extra steps I believe.

Photography is Not a Crime.

That just reminded me. Last week, where I live, these college students were making a film on top a parking garage. The FBI and BPD were called in. Why? Props involved AK47 airsoft guns and the kids didn’t think they needed to “OK” it with the Police, or inform anyone of what they were doing. Luckily no one was hurt.

david nyc says:

too bad the pigs here don;t know how to read.

Chase Jarvis says:

keep in mind, all commercial stuff should have (required to have) a permit. of course you can fudge this, but that’s the law…

It’s sad that this is even an issue. But contrary to what the ACLU believe NYPD are just looking out to protect their citizens.

It helps to know your rights as a photographer because a police officer will take advantage of that and ask to see the shots you took on your camera. I had that happen once and out of respect and not knowing what was really going on I let him. Crazy.

Dudley says:

Most cities seem to require permits, insurance, etc once you use a light stand.

this is great, now i dont feel so nervous when i take out my camera…

Dave says:

Jonny count your lucky stars, I wish the UK police force would issue some similar memo ! It’s a right pain when you are out shooting and get stopped and have to wait 10 mins to be policed checked !

LisaC says:

I was asked to stop taking pictures in downtown Dallas last fall… the security officer for a building behind a piece of artwork came out and asked very nicely for me to stop taking pictures of their building…

Anonymous says:

Jonny…maybe we are and we don’t know it yet.

gee says:

LOL! that’s hilarious!!!!!

Jonny says:

We’re not living in Britain yet.