Art & Copy Trailer

If you’re a photographer, filmmaker, CD or AD and interested in advertising work, and/or if you’ve enjoyed Doug Pray’s previous documentary films Hype!(about Seattle Grunge) or Scratch (about DJ Culture), you’ll want to check out his new one, Art & Copy.

A synopsis:

“ART & COPY reveals the stories behind and the personal odysseys of some of the most influential advertising visionaries of our time and their campaigns, including Lee Clow (Apple Computer 1984, and today’s iPod); Dan Wieden (“Just Do It”); ….Directed by Doug Pray (SURFWISE, HYPE!, SCRATCH), ART & COPY captures the creative energy and passion behind the iconic campaigns that have had a profound impact on American culture. Featuring rare interviews with the aforementioned industry legends, the film seeks to identify the elements that transform a slogan into a pop culture catch phrases….’The movie looks at advertising not as products flying off the shelf but as the work of a few American heroes who feel passionately about their craft, ideas, and the ability of ideas to change how people feel.’”

Probably coming soon to a small theater or a DVD near you.

Thanks Chris!

16 Responses to Art & Copy Trailer

1. Johanna June 11, 2009 at 6:06 am #

Looks awesome, and I agree that creativity can solve a lot of things. If you have a problem and mange to look at it in a different way, you might solve it.

- Keep it up

2. Morgan Moller June 11, 2009 at 6:09 am #

Nice, looking forward to the full monty, do you think it'll be available oversees?

3. LightSpin June 11, 2009 at 6:34 am #

Looks fantastic… It's amazing how little it actually takes to derive a ground-breaking idea like the one's that we see here. I've always believed it's a matter of consistency and focus rather than INDIVIDUAL creativity. Obviously, the individual matters, but we're all more than capable of doing such things. I'll definitely be checking this out.

4. Brian June 11, 2009 at 7:32 am #

Looks great… like you I can't pry my eyes off a good documentary! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

5. Anonymous June 11, 2009 at 9:33 am #

I'm a sucker for this material. You don't have to like advertising, but it sure pays to know about it.

Fascinating.

6. fas June 11, 2009 at 11:59 am #

Lots of video editing in there :)

7. jeff June 11, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

This one will have a space reserved on my DVD shelf right next to Helvetica!

8. Hood June 11, 2009 at 1:03 pm #

I saw this film at a festival this spring and I have to say it was remarkable. He is an excellent filmmaker for one. Secondly, it was funded by the One Club which apparently is some sort of organization or non-profit comprised of industry vets, so his access was incredible. In the Q&A; he was still flabbergasted that he was able to access these subjects and more importantly that they just opened up to him. It really is a good piece and I am looking forward to seeing it again.

9. Chase Jarvis June 11, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

If anybody finds a DVD of this thing on at some point, and you think of it, please drop me a note so I can pick one up right away. Thx.

10. Sue June 11, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

…and then Chase, you share that information with us! I would love to see this.

Sue

11. Genower & McKay Commercial June 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

Great vid……….You'd never get a piece like that made in the UK. We're too afraid to philosophize about art and creativity, unless we have a huge name. Shame, wish we had less self consciousness ! keep up the good work

12. Genower & McKay Commercial June 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

13. Chris Mills June 14, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

This reminds me how much I love my work.

14. Chris Mills June 14, 2009 at 10:09 pm #

The film will be released by Arthouse films in the Fall. We'll just have to wait…

15. The Linkorama July 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm #

Creativity in advertising is like military intelligence. They Should invest all that wonderful gift in something more productive for humanity.
    Don't you think???

16. liberty slots casino flash October 1, 2014 at 8:50 am #

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!