Banksy Vs. Bristol Museum: New “Secret” Exhibit Takes Over

One of my favorites, the legendary street artist, Banksy, has “secretly” taken over the city museum in his hometown of Bristol. In a rare statement, Bansky said:

“The people in Bristol have always been very good to me – I decided the best way to show my appreciation was by putting a bunch of old toilets and some live chicken nuggets in their museum…This is the first show I’ve ever done where taxpayers’ money is being used to hang my pictures up rather than scrape them off.”

The BBC reported: “Graffiti artist Banksy has unveiled his most ambitious British project to date, a made over museum in his home town of Bristol. Staged in the council-owned City Museum and Art Gallery, Banksy v Bristol Museum was such a closely guarded secret even senior councillors were unaware of the plans, while visitors and staff were told that filming had been taking place. The exhibition features animatronics, installations and a sensory display.”

A BBC news video and more links after the jump. Click the ‘continue reading’ link below.

Daily Mail UK covers it.

A great series of photographs of the exhibit, compliments again of the BBC.

24 Responses to Banksy Vs. Bristol Museum: New “Secret” Exhibit Takes Over

1. Ilan June 14, 2009 at 9:46 am #

He is without a doubt, one of the more original artist working today.
    Wow.

2. Anonymous June 14, 2009 at 10:13 am #

I really like his paintings involving cut out subjects. Striking and deviant.

3. Steve Kalman June 14, 2009 at 10:57 am #

I loved the very last image (the "warning") on the first video. Perfect.

Also, the curator interviewed in the second video really understands what art is all about. Hopefully this will launch her career into the stratosphere where it belongs.

4. Anonymous June 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm #

i absoluted love it! i can't believe i cannot be there during the exhibition period.

5. Ed Araquel June 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm #

For those that can't make it to the exhibition, check out Banksy's book Wall and Piece. It's a nice retrospective of his work and even has some photos of him in disguise replacing art in large museums with his own work.

Devious. :)

e

6. fas June 15, 2009 at 5:42 am #

That is superb stuff, like the way its so appealing.

7. Scott MacKenzie June 15, 2009 at 6:12 am #

Coming here and seeing something like this is like a Great cup of Coffee every day.
    Always inspiring.

8. Chase Jarvis June 15, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Agree with Ed. I have two copies of Wall and Piece. One for the studio and one for home. It's THAT good.

9. Joseph Yarrow Bristol Wedding Photographer June 15, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Chase, if you come visit the exhibition (which you have to) then I know a cool place we can meet for a drink. (he's from my city!)

10. Anonymous June 16, 2009 at 8:27 am #

The dude has moves.

11. Anonymous June 20, 2009 at 1:14 am #

Thanks for this post. I've been in London for a couple of months. Looked at all the museums and this exhibit is probably the only one that excites me.

12. Robski July 1, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

"A lot of people never use their initiative, because no-one ever told them to"

Blown away by the exhibition!

13. Banksy Tenners December 23, 2010 at 4:29 am #

Hi! I have some Banksy Di-Faced ten pound note prints for sale if anyone is interested? As seen in the Banksy “Exit through the gift shop” film. – banksytennerprints@gmail.com

14. Galen Jakowich June 23, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

This is absolutely brilliant! Congratulations on trying to revitalize the written word no texting, no email, no whatever’s next! I don’t own a computer proud of being “computer free”. Maybe old fashioned, but receiving a hand written letter is likely to be so refreshing! Thank you for focusing on a rapidly declining art the hand written letter and/or note.
    Can’t wait to receive my first letter! Judy Robertson

15. "palkkapalvelu ilman yritystä" June 27, 2013 at 4:43 am #

I am a student, and I found out your blog today. Seriously, thank you!

16. Millard Keobaunleuang June 28, 2013 at 11:12 pm #

The subsequent time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I truly thought youd have one thing fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you might repair in case you werent too busy in search of attention.

17. fifa 15 coins ps3 August 18, 2014 at 10:25 pm #

My brother recommended I would possibly like this website. He was totally right. This put up actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

18. This Web-site September 22, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

I am new to building websites and I was wanting to know if having your website title relevant to your articles and other content really that crucial? I see your title, ” ” does seem to be spot on with what your blog is about yet, I prefer to keep my title less content descriptive and based more around site branding. Would you think this is a good idea or bad idea? Any assistance would be greatly valued.

1. Banksy Books - The Best Books, Prints & Posters - November 16, 2011

[...] I Get my Girlfriend for ChristmasStreet Artist Banksy The Author of Five BooksNew Stuff This WeekBanksy Vs. Bristol Museum: New “Secret” Exhibit Takes Over window.google_analytics_uacct = "pub-9490697744138178"; var analyticsFileTypes = ['']; var [...]