Irrelevant Award-Chasers

Jeff Goodby, pilot of the mighty Goodby, Silverstein & Partners advertising agency has rightly said of the advertising industry:

“We’ve created a system that rewards work that is increasingly unknown to anyone outside the business. We have become connoisseurs of esoterica. And in the process, we’re becoming more about us, and less about changing the world. We are becoming irrelevant award-chasers. Sure, some of the best things we make nowadays are internet experiences with necessarily specific, limited audiences — that cab driver might not be expected to see them. But for the ones I’m talking about, the only intended audience is, well, us…”

Having just judged the Art Directors Club of Denver‘s annual award show with some bigtime judges, even one from Goodby (winners announced September 25), I’ve seen this first hand. It came up. And when I went to vote for best in show, I couldn’t throw my vote around lightly. It was ultimately a vote away from the obscure reference and toward a more inclusive, understandable message without ignoring the cultural cost of such a decision. Like ‘less is more’, clarity often finds the win in any situation, regardless of niche, metaphysics, or content of the message.

The rest of the Ad Age article…[Click the ‘continue reading’ link below}

can be found here.

Very god site you have here but I was curious if you knew off any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d like to be part of community exactly where I could get reactions off their well-informed individuals who reveal a similar attention. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. Cheers a great deal!

Excellent blog – you may have here however was wanting to know if however you knew for any discussion boards which cover the equivalent topics talked about in this article? I’d enjoy to become a element of community where One can possibly get suggestions using knowledgeable people that share a similar interest. For people with any suggestions, please conscious. Appreciate it!

You commit an error. Compose to me in PM, we will discuss.

textus says:

What i don’t realize is if truth be told how you’re no longer really a lot more well-preferred than you might be right now. You’re so intelligent. You know thus significantly on the subject of this matter

If you tow a definite caravan nor van movie trailer your entire family pretty soon get exposed to the down sides towards preventing greatest securely region. awnings

Thanks for your insight for the wonderful posting. I’m glad I have taken the time to see this.

Interesting article. It is extremely unfortunate that over the last several years, the travel industry has already been able to to take on terrorism, SARS, tsunamis, influenza, swine flu, as well as first ever real global tough economy. Through all of it the industry has proven to be solid, resilient in addition to dynamic, getting new tips on how to deal with misfortune. There are often fresh challenges and opportunity to which the sector must once more adapt and respond.

Just wanna input on few general items, The web site design is perfect, the articles is extremely great : D.

As soon as I observed this website I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

Ferdinand says:

A prson essentially assist tto make significantly posts I mmight state.
Thiis is thhe very first tiime I frequentted your website page andd thjus far?
I surprised ith the analysis you made to create this particular publish
amazing. Great activity!

Cherie says:

Thank you for thee auspicious writeup. It in realiy wass oncce a amuswment
account it. Look advanced to far delivered agreeable from
you! By the way, how could we keep inn touch?

zxtofficial says:

Usually I try and get my mix of Vitamin E from pills. Although I’d truly like to via a wonderful meal program it can be rather hard to at times.

Suzette says:

Hi there, yup this paragraph is reallly good andd I
hhave learned loot of things from it regardcing blogging. thanks.

I am genjuinely grateful tto thee owner of thijs wdbsite whho hhas sharedd this wondeful articlle at at tis time.

Carmelo says:

I visit evedy daay a feww web pagrs aand infrmation siyes tto ead articles or reviews, except this weblog offers feature
basxed writing.

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. All the time go after your heart. “He never is alone that is accompanied with noble thoughts.” by Fletcher.

Next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not disappoint me as much as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read through, however I really thought you’d have something interesting to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you could possibly fix if you weren’t too busy searching for attention.

Jay Kocourek says:

It is always higher than average a period of time of which many of us preferably should conider reading once again good blogs and books.

My dream retirement would be living in Udaipur, India! I’ve been to your city and appreciate the folks and Indian culture. I’d be thrilled to be able to see this film which takes place in the top place in the world! :)

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

"We've created a system that rewards work that is increasingly unknown to anyone outside the business…"

The system that rewards good work is the system that involves clients paying agencies and not putting their accounts up for review if the work has met their expectations. I'm personally fond of this system. I doubt Jeff Goodby has too many problems with it either.

Awards highlighting creativity are valuable and inspirational. It's also important to note that things recognized as creative are often ahead of the public's taste. Is that a bad thing?

The Oscars aren't awarded to the films that make the most money, they're awarded to the films The Academy (another group of industry insiders) deems to be exceptional according to their preferences. The same is true of the NFL's Pro-Bowl, most sports MVP awards, and on down the line.

Goodby's remarks are also at least 46 years away from breaking new ground anyway. David Ogilvy was closer to the point in 1963 when he wrote, "Resist the temptation to write the kind of copy which wins awards. I am always gratified when I win an award, but most of the campaigns which produce results never win awards." -Confessions of an Advertising Man

Winning an award and running a successful campaign aren't mutually exclusive. The problem is only realized when a campaign is created for the award crowd, AND against the client's best interests. Sure, this probably happens, but it's more sensational to decry award shows (while you currently have numerous entries in Cannes as Goodby does) than it is to weigh the sides accurately and/or simply be thankful for the recognition.

Love this post. Could not be more true. I try to do my thing and be a commercial photographer. of course i have not yet succeeded in that but I push for it every assignment. I put my vision in the photo but also try to figure out a way to creatively create images powerful, creative, personal and appropriate for the Brand. Either way it is fun and I shoot personal work for me on a weekly bases without any clients.

fas says:

Well the industry sure is getting tough
!

Eric Broadhurst says:

It really is a challenge in any field to have mass appeal while still retaining expert appreciation. The "better" people get at things, generally the more concerned with expert opinion they become.

An expert in any field appreciates a more nuanced execution of that fields skillset. I think it is tricky to include both nuances which appeal to experts and more widely accepted "pop" concepts which the majority will appreciate.

Its tough, would you rather be a "Artists Artist" or Artist with mass appeal… what are the necessary parameters for the two to not be mutually exclusive.

Rockhopper says:

I have worked for a self congatulary bunch of photographers, when I was whinging about to a reuters photographer he looked at the images and he said he could on the net and find amateurs pushing out work of a higher quality.

Speaking to a fashion photographer I asked him what the best photograph he has ever done, he replied I have not took it yet but the day I do is the day I retire.

The agency I was working with I could spot another photographers work just by the composition alone.

I dont join in with them now as they are sycophants feeding off each others ego…

I get more out of teaching and guiding photographers of tommorrow than navel gazing at my art.

Art should be accessible to the proletariat, Some ADs couldnt find there nose reminds me of the dinner table scene in LA Story all following each others fashionable foibles, I will have a decaf water…

Rich

Chase Jarvis says:

important distinction to ensure all your work doesn't look like somebody elses…realize that as a pro commercial photo, you probably only need ot appeal to 24 ADs or CDs per year. There IS enough work out there to easily sustain and grow your business with that rate of getting hired. And then its for what you want to shoot instead of otherwise.

Maik Dobiey says:

Interesting. That is the same tendency I have observed in a lot of photogs. Shooting some kind "art" that only few other photogs understand. Especially as an ad photog you shouldn't forget about the client's needs.

Ben says:

wow. another splash of cold water. awesome. and helpful.