Morning of the Shoot: A Quick Video Tour

You asked for more behind the scenes stuff, so I’m doing my best to deliver. This quick, very recent vid is from the morning of a shoot for a global ad campaign. Contracts and lawyers make it so I can’t show any details, but I thought there’s plenty to take away from the general buzz that’s going on. Sort of fun. I know this is super lo-fi, but we’re all crazy busy, so you’re getting the one-take non edit. Hope you enjoy. I’ll do my best to answer questions below. I won’t get to anything on Saturday since it’s my birthday, but I’ll get to them tonight and Sunday/Monday as best I can, so ask away.

As an aside, this vid went up earlier on my Facebook Fan page. I keep content moving around to a handful of channels based on a variety of factors (ease, production value, timing, etc), so if being in the know sooner (sometimes days, sometimes weeks) is of interest to you, I recommend tuning into some or all the channels you frequent most.

Become a Fan on Facebook.

Have a great weekend.

wroclaw strony www

Lyle says:

Being healthy to travel around the globe. Possess a beach home near the water.

I that can assist all time posted this webreduced post pakenmore to all doing this friends: d because if like to get hold of it afrooftop that mo friends winvalid toowe might

b2key says:

Our body is a white paper, every day we choose different max shox R4 , decorate in different styles of design and color of rich and colorful. Obviously not all of them will cost too much in the painting on white paper thinks. Some people draw Botticelli comparable to the works of art, while others are like children’s picture looks graffiti. Those who air Jordan in modern fashion experts will join in the daily wear dress up, but this restore ancient ways of style restoring ancient ways is not easily success, we must pay great attention to detail. "Unique style."
Choose words and not installed restoring ancient ways, but in the calendar to design for and chic elements. Fashionable handbags personage challenge a difficulty in succession, in order to make his own style. To tell the truth, the choice is not easy to pack restoring ancient ways. Successful restoring enthusiasts can never seems to go wrong. Halloween space-time or Trying to restore ancient ways, to choose the classic ICONS of design jeans .

Dude! Love your photography. Just a note to let you know that after happenning upon your blog via "The Strobist" I've been seeking more "behind the scenes" photo shoots. I've been learning a lot and was at an impasse with my craft until you and Mr. Strobist got me past my blockage ;)

Anyway, I was looking at a catalog shoot and this is the best photo of the lighting. Is this the way you would shoot a catalog shot? I guess you need to blast the model from all sides to get the shot! Kind of extreme, but was wondering if this is the way it needs to be done? BTW, I'm not being critical of the photog at all, just curious.

Here's a link to that picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coquettelingerie/3768539571/sizes/l/in/set-72157621874990410/

Anonymous says:

i have seen some black classic short ugg boots on dif websites they are http://www.aolboots.com
http://www.linksugg.com/ and does any one know if thee websites are genuine and sell genuine ugg boots thankyou

Anonymous says:

Tell your assistant that I'll be happy to give her a mouthful.

Ron Dawson says:

Hey Chase. Did you shoot that on the RED. ;)

*sniff*

I want to be just like you one day.

You are awesome! You really nailed the feel of the morning. I couldn't help think about the work done to order the food, Set the lighting up, White balance, gray card, Tether check. You touched briefly on them. Perhaps a future video you could have Scotty or Dartanyon walk us through thier prep session.

Tuffer says:

Yes, More behind the scenes!!! even a little "morning before" like this is helpful.

Jeremy says:

Chase

First off, happy birthday! I hope you have a great party surrounded by people who inspire you.

I'm a relatively new follower of your blog. My wife and I have just started up an interior design studio in Beirut, Lebanon. I shoot interior shots for her projects and I'm basically teaching myself to be the team photographer. You know how it is when you're running a small business. You have to turn your hand to everything. That's a huge part of the fun of being your own boss.

Your blog has been a huge help to us over the past few months in showing how values and partnership are the key to commercial success and professional fulfillment. I was inspired by your vid from Dubai on the business side of blogging. Our new site launches soon, and rather than load it up with 100's of photos of our design work, we have instead focussed on how our studio depends on a whole community of independent artists and craftsmen here in Beirut to bring our designs to life. We definitely believe in the value of sharing the wealth of knowledge and skills that we all have with others, and from learning from them in return.

So, thanks once again for putting all this stuff out there. If you are ever in this part of the world, look us up and we'll show you round. Awesome skiing and nightlife here, and a Mediterranean backdrop that is as beautiful as the French Riviera.

All best
Jeremy

jeremy@sinaidachallita.com

Jeremy says:

Chase

All best
Jeremy

rick says:

Great vid. Always good to sneak a peek behind the curtain. Very cool studio.

Anonymous says:

nicole is attractive.

hedward says:

Awesome! That is one sweeet studio setup. Love it.

Joost says:

Thanks a lot for sharing Chase!

I love your video's to get a peek into the big boys world :)

Hope to get there too someday… once my imagination is unleashed.

flying models around the world in the budget..so far my biggest budget shoot was for a free stylist haha.

Thanks again and hope to see more BTS vids :)

stephen says:

all i can say is wow.

also, i lol'ed at "thank you for…hiring us.." :)

taylom29 says:

Great stuff, thanks chase. Always excited to see a new video appear on the blog

"Emmm…. thank you for ammm… hiring us…" thats gold baby, haha cracks me up, honesty wins the battle huh.

Kelly Ng says:

thanks! would love to see more!

Chase Jarvis says:

@ somebody asked if we fly models – answer depends on the gig, but generally yes, we fly models if the talent need is there, considering of course a number of factors…

but global campaigns usually have this budgeted…

hope that helps.

Alex says:

Great vid! Love the rawness of the "shaky" too! Chase, your photography/video expertise is fresh, new, exciting, and visually focused. It's the respect and admiration you show your colleagues, clients, and talent that I find most impressive, right on target, genuine, and from the heart. From there all else follows. Great job in that regard! Just had a b'day myself!
Be good!

Chase… Thank you so much for videos like these. You inspire people in more ways than you know. Your insight can be appreciated by every photographer.

Uwe Noelke says:

Thanks for this very informative insight in your studio. I am sure you have had a wonderful day with your nice team and all the talents after this video.

mooreclick says:

Happy Birthday!

And, as always, thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this. Obviously, you don't have to spend even five minutes trying to help out other photographers, but you're consistently putting up projects like this. So I'd just like to say thanks, so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it (and I'm sure others do as well).

Nikon Bob says:

Wonderful! Wonderful video, Chase!
After watching your daily routine, many aspiring photographers should once again check if they meet the number two (or one if you take technical skills for granted) feature: the character.

No one like to work with assholes, and that's the secret of a successful business. Many people don't realize it and put their technical skill before.

I've noticed you work with Nikon almost everywhere. Why don't you use Nikon Capture NX2, then? I know it may look like a bit amateur software, but you can achieve top notch results with it. It corrects lens distortions, chromatic aberrations, and produce good colors. Aperture is not bad, but you don't have as much control over image quality as from the Nikon software.

By the way, shouldn't you use a 60MPx Hassled for this job? ;) Just kidding, you've got all what is needed. I'm sure you get tons of new assignments after this video. Vincent Laforet must be envious right now :)

Eric says:

I love that your client arrived whilst filming and you managed to suavely role with it. Cheers to you!

Thanks for the vid! Always follow your blog! It's great to see behind the scenes of pro-shoots! And happy birthday! (at least I believe it is due to your post) Also any tips for an aspiring photographer? I'm a student and want to get into photography. By the way amazing studio.
Thanks! Happy b-day!:)

Tim says:

Did you shoot this with your iPhone 3G?

happy birthday chase!

Mathieu B. says:

"La tete dans le cul", that's what we Frenchies would say looking at your 7:30 AM face, Chase. Hope you manage to open your eyes a bit more before the shoot starts, that would probably help ;-) Thx anyway

Rob Greer says:

It's very cool to see how other photographers run their studios on the day of a big shoot. Congrats on taking the time to post your video. Great stuff!

Car Blog says:

Cool stuff, ah the morning troubles, ah!

Thanks for the tour. You have a great looking studio. I love the big roll up doors.

It's interesting to see and learn all of the different things that go into, and should be thought of when, doing a shoot.

I hope all went well, and I look forward to seeing your work in the campaign.

Cheers!

Great vid. just love to see the work behind (though it's not fun but serious work), would also love to see more vids. that don't have disclosure restrictions!!

Richard says:

HAPPY MOTHER*&%^$#' BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous says:

Very cool tour! I appreciate it! I wonder when we'll be able to see the results?

Carl says:

More footage of Mikal, please!

Sonnydelight says:

Happy Birthday, Chase!

mat says:

nice vid chase but where's scotty? did you give him the day off? oh i know, he's out back grillin' lika villin'….. keep it up man!

Lisa says:

Happy birthday! Just had mine this week too. I loved the video,my question is do you use local models typically or fly them in?

C.C. Chapman says:

I'm a sucker for getting a peek behind the curtain no matter what the context so this was great to see and thanks for sharing.

Hope the shoot went great and that you have a happy birthday.

Lyndon says:

you americans love your bagels dont ya! thanks for the food tour :)

Charlie says:

love the attention to detail – all focussed on making sure everyone (staff, models and client) are comfortable, relaxed and happy. very interesting to see this all in action. Hope it all goes well :)

SolarCreed says:

Wahey happy birthday!!
Its Saturday in Ireland….
ANd thanks for the vid, nice to know how it works!

Why do you prefer Nikon over Canon?

Ben Coope says:

Nice one, thanks chase, great to see the studio all setup for a shoot.

Ariel says:

Very cool insight into the insides of the shoot…love the studio! Great energy before pre-shoot! Looking forward to the upcoming campaign images….

Dov says:

I love the shaky. Very raw! :)

Jason Keeley says:

Wow, that looks fun. Thanks for the inside look.

Anonymous says:

Not TOO shaky if I've got it in a window next to my work… defocusing always helps a little.

Would love to see a wrap video of this shoot as well.

Thanks a ton!

Manuel says:

Puh, a little to shaky…

Shannon says:

Having those garage doors during work open looks like fun. Nice and informal. I'm guessing they get closed once the day starts to heat up.

And your "Thanks for hiring us!" line was priceless.

J Sandifer says:

Hey Chase…as usual thanks for the insight into the life of a successful commercial photography outfit! Love how you treat everyone and how you surround yourself with passionate professionals!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Anonymous says:

Back-up food! Always important to have back-ups! Have a fun couple of days. Andy.

Dov says:

Food's always good! Look like a fun shoot! Reminds me of what I do :-) Wish I were closer to assist!
Happy Birthday Chase!

-dov

T. C. Knight says:

Thanks for the inside look Chase. Hope you will, one day, show a slick video of a shoot from pre-production to post. I'll look forward to it!

Ian says:

Woah I am dizzy!
If I wasn't way up here in Canada I'd rip off that studio design, love the roll up doors!

I shoot with both Aperture and a D3x but I find when shooting tethered, they load up quite slowly. How do you find it? I imagine you're rockin the top of the line Mac as well?

I've moved to a Wifi Adapter to send Jpegs and save the RAWS to cards, cuz they take too long to import into Aperture.

Timothy Lusk says:

Great job, Chase… looking forward to seeing the campaign launch. ;-)

Take care.

Bip says:

Great to see all the buzz before the hard work starts. Nice to have specialist dealing with each part of the show.
Bip

Omar Shine says:

Cool!

Alejo H says:

Thanks for the video!

Matt Lange says:

Ahhh…..the prep. Always fun. I love this part. Like the calm before the storm…