Morning of the Shoot: A Quick Video Tour

You asked for more behind the scenes stuff, so I’m doing my best to deliver. This quick, very recent vid is from the morning of a shoot for a global ad campaign. Contracts and lawyers make it so I can’t show any details, but I thought there’s plenty to take away from the general buzz that’s going on. Sort of fun. I know this is super lo-fi, but we’re all crazy busy, so you’re getting the one-take non edit. Hope you enjoy. I’ll do my best to answer questions below. I won’t get to anything on Saturday since it’s my birthday, but I’ll get to them tonight and Sunday/Monday as best I can, so ask away.

As an aside, this vid went up earlier on my Facebook Fan page. I keep content moving around to a handful of channels based on a variety of factors (ease, production value, timing, etc), so if being in the know sooner (sometimes days, sometimes weeks) is of interest to you, I recommend tuning into some or all the channels you frequent most.

Become a Fan on Facebook.

Have a great weekend.

61 Responses to Morning of the Shoot: A Quick Video Tour

1. Matt Lange July 17, 2009 at 11:56 am #

Ahhh…..the prep. Always fun. I love this part. Like the calm before the storm…

2. Alejo H July 17, 2009 at 11:57 am #

Thanks for the video!

3. Omar Shine July 17, 2009 at 11:58 am #

Cool!

4. Bip July 17, 2009 at 11:59 am #

Great to see all the buzz before the hard work starts. Nice to have specialist dealing with each part of the show.
    Bip

5. Timothy Lusk July 17, 2009 at 12:00 pm #

Great job, Chase… looking forward to seeing the campaign launch. ;-)

Take care.

6. Ian July 17, 2009 at 12:06 pm #

Woah I am dizzy!
    If I wasn't way up here in Canada I'd rip off that studio design, love the roll up doors!

I shoot with both Aperture and a D3x but I find when shooting tethered, they load up quite slowly. How do you find it? I imagine you're rockin the top of the line Mac as well?

I've moved to a Wifi Adapter to send Jpegs and save the RAWS to cards, cuz they take too long to import into Aperture.

7. T. C. Knight July 17, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

Thanks for the inside look Chase. Hope you will, one day, show a slick video of a shoot from pre-production to post. I'll look forward to it!

8. Dov July 17, 2009 at 12:15 pm #

Food's always good! Look like a fun shoot! Reminds me of what I do :-) Wish I were closer to assist!
    Happy Birthday Chase!

-dov

9. Anonymous July 17, 2009 at 12:21 pm #

Back-up food! Always important to have back-ups! Have a fun couple of days. Andy.

10. J Sandifer July 17, 2009 at 12:31 pm #

Hey Chase…as usual thanks for the insight into the life of a successful commercial photography outfit! Love how you treat everyone and how you surround yourself with passionate professionals!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

11. Shannon July 17, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

Having those garage doors during work open looks like fun. Nice and informal. I'm guessing they get closed once the day starts to heat up.

And your "Thanks for hiring us!" line was priceless.

12. Manuel July 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm #

Puh, a little to shaky…

13. Anonymous July 17, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

Not TOO shaky if I've got it in a window next to my work… defocusing always helps a little.

Would love to see a wrap video of this shoot as well.

Thanks a ton!

14. Jason Keeley July 17, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

Wow, that looks fun. Thanks for the inside look.

15. Dov July 17, 2009 at 2:18 pm #

I love the shaky. Very raw! :)

16. Ariel July 17, 2009 at 3:14 pm #

Very cool insight into the insides of the shoot…love the studio! Great energy before pre-shoot! Looking forward to the upcoming campaign images….

17. Ben Coope July 17, 2009 at 3:39 pm #

Nice one, thanks chase, great to see the studio all setup for a shoot.

18. wburgcanchaser July 17, 2009 at 4:24 pm #

Why do you prefer Nikon over Canon?

19. SolarCreed July 17, 2009 at 4:38 pm #

Wahey happy birthday!!
    Its Saturday in Ireland….
    ANd thanks for the vid, nice to know how it works!

20. Charlie July 17, 2009 at 5:11 pm #

love the attention to detail – all focussed on making sure everyone (staff, models and client) are comfortable, relaxed and happy. very interesting to see this all in action. Hope it all goes well :)

21. Lyndon July 17, 2009 at 5:22 pm #

you americans love your bagels dont ya! thanks for the food tour :)

22. C.C. Chapman July 17, 2009 at 5:41 pm #

I'm a sucker for getting a peek behind the curtain no matter what the context so this was great to see and thanks for sharing.

Hope the shoot went great and that you have a happy birthday.

23. Lisa July 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm #

Happy birthday! Just had mine this week too. I loved the video,my question is do you use local models typically or fly them in?

24. mat July 17, 2009 at 7:56 pm #

nice vid chase but where's scotty? did you give him the day off? oh i know, he's out back grillin' lika villin'….. keep it up man!

25. Sonnydelight July 17, 2009 at 9:21 pm #

Happy Birthday, Chase!

26. Carl July 17, 2009 at 9:59 pm #

More footage of Mikal, please!

27. Anonymous July 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Very cool tour! I appreciate it! I wonder when we'll be able to see the results?

28. Richard July 18, 2009 at 12:19 am #

HAPPY MOTHER*&%^$#' BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Puneet Dembla July 18, 2009 at 6:40 am #

Great vid. just love to see the work behind (though it's not fun but serious work), would also love to see more vids. that don't have disclosure restrictions!!

30. matthew d. lyons July 18, 2009 at 6:41 am #

Thanks for the tour. You have a great looking studio. I love the big roll up doors.

It's interesting to see and learn all of the different things that go into, and should be thought of when, doing a shoot.

I hope all went well, and I look forward to seeing your work in the campaign.

Cheers!

31. Car Blog July 18, 2009 at 6:41 am #

Cool stuff, ah the morning troubles, ah!

32. Rob Greer July 18, 2009 at 8:15 am #

It's very cool to see how other photographers run their studios on the day of a big shoot. Congrats on taking the time to post your video. Great stuff!

33. Mathieu B. July 18, 2009 at 10:01 am #

"La tete dans le cul", that's what we Frenchies would say looking at your 7:30 AM face, Chase. Hope you manage to open your eyes a bit more before the shoot starts, that would probably help ;-) Thx anyway

34. Diego Lorenzo Jose July 18, 2009 at 10:54 am #

happy birthday chase!

35. Tim July 18, 2009 at 11:40 am #

Did you shoot this with your iPhone 3G?

36. Fatherly Films July 18, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

Thanks for the vid! Always follow your blog! It's great to see behind the scenes of pro-shoots! And happy birthday! (at least I believe it is due to your post) Also any tips for an aspiring photographer? I'm a student and want to get into photography. By the way amazing studio.
    Thanks! Happy b-day!:)

37. Eric July 18, 2009 at 8:08 pm #

I love that your client arrived whilst filming and you managed to suavely role with it. Cheers to you!

38. Nikon Bob July 19, 2009 at 5:39 am #

Wonderful! Wonderful video, Chase!
    After watching your daily routine, many aspiring photographers should once again check if they meet the number two (or one if you take technical skills for granted) feature: the character.

No one like to work with assholes, and that's the secret of a successful business. Many people don't realize it and put their technical skill before.

I've noticed you work with Nikon almost everywhere. Why don't you use Nikon Capture NX2, then? I know it may look like a bit amateur software, but you can achieve top notch results with it. It corrects lens distortions, chromatic aberrations, and produce good colors. Aperture is not bad, but you don't have as much control over image quality as from the Nikon software.

By the way, shouldn't you use a 60MPx Hassled for this job? ;) Just kidding, you've got all what is needed. I'm sure you get tons of new assignments after this video. Vincent Laforet must be envious right now :)

39. mooreclick July 19, 2009 at 10:04 am #

Happy Birthday!

And, as always, thanks for taking the time to do stuff like this. Obviously, you don't have to spend even five minutes trying to help out other photographers, but you're consistently putting up projects like this. So I'd just like to say thanks, so much, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it (and I'm sure others do as well).

40. Uwe Noelke July 19, 2009 at 11:00 am #

Thanks for this very informative insight in your studio. I am sure you have had a wonderful day with your nice team and all the talents after this video.

41. Justin Chando July 19, 2009 at 7:15 pm #

Chase… Thank you so much for videos like these. You inspire people in more ways than you know. Your insight can be appreciated by every photographer.

42. Alex July 19, 2009 at 9:02 pm #

Great vid! Love the rawness of the "shaky" too! Chase, your photography/video expertise is fresh, new, exciting, and visually focused. It's the respect and admiration you show your colleagues, clients, and talent that I find most impressive, right on target, genuine, and from the heart. From there all else follows. Great job in that regard! Just had a b'day myself!
    Be good!

43. Chase Jarvis July 19, 2009 at 10:18 pm #

@ somebody asked if we fly models – answer depends on the gig, but generally yes, we fly models if the talent need is there, considering of course a number of factors…

but global campaigns usually have this budgeted…

hope that helps.

44. Kelly Ng July 19, 2009 at 11:00 pm #

thanks! would love to see more!

45. Eduardo Fuentes July 20, 2009 at 9:13 am #

"Emmm…. thank you for ammm… hiring us…" thats gold baby, haha cracks me up, honesty wins the battle huh.

46. taylom29 July 21, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

Great stuff, thanks chase. Always excited to see a new video appear on the blog

47. stephen July 21, 2009 at 2:59 pm #

all i can say is wow.

also, i lol'ed at "thank you for…hiring us.." :)

48. Joost July 21, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks a lot for sharing Chase!

I love your video's to get a peek into the big boys world :)

Hope to get there too someday… once my imagination is unleashed.

flying models around the world in the budget..so far my biggest budget shoot was for a free stylist haha.

Thanks again and hope to see more BTS vids :)

49. hedward July 22, 2009 at 6:56 am #

Awesome! That is one sweeet studio setup. Love it.

50. Anonymous July 23, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

nicole is attractive.

51. rick July 24, 2009 at 6:38 am #

Great vid. Always good to sneak a peek behind the curtain. Very cool studio.

52. Jeremy July 25, 2009 at 1:40 am #

Chase

First off, happy birthday! I hope you have a great party surrounded by people who inspire you.

I'm a relatively new follower of your blog. My wife and I have just started up an interior design studio in Beirut, Lebanon. I shoot interior shots for her projects and I'm basically teaching myself to be the team photographer. You know how it is when you're running a small business. You have to turn your hand to everything. That's a huge part of the fun of being your own boss.

Your blog has been a huge help to us over the past few months in showing how values and partnership are the key to commercial success and professional fulfillment. I was inspired by your vid from Dubai on the business side of blogging. Our new site launches soon, and rather than load it up with 100's of photos of our design work, we have instead focussed on how our studio depends on a whole community of independent artists and craftsmen here in Beirut to bring our designs to life. We definitely believe in the value of sharing the wealth of knowledge and skills that we all have with others, and from learning from them in return.

So, thanks once again for putting all this stuff out there. If you are ever in this part of the world, look us up and we'll show you round. Awesome skiing and nightlife here, and a Mediterranean backdrop that is as beautiful as the French Riviera.

All best
    Jeremy

53. Jeremy July 25, 2009 at 1:47 am #

Chase

All best
    Jeremy

jeremy@sinaidachallita.com

54. Tuffer July 26, 2009 at 6:22 am #

Yes, More behind the scenes!!! even a little "morning before" like this is helpful.

55. PBrosnanPhoto July 28, 2009 at 5:35 am #

*sniff*

I want to be just like you one day.

You are awesome! You really nailed the feel of the morning. I couldn't help think about the work done to order the food, Set the lighting up, White balance, gray card, Tether check. You touched briefly on them. Perhaps a future video you could have Scotty or Dartanyon walk us through thier prep session.

56. Ron Dawson July 30, 2009 at 8:05 pm #

Hey Chase. Did you shoot that on the RED. ;)

57. Anonymous August 10, 2009 at 9:58 pm #

Tell your assistant that I'll be happy to give her a mouthful.

58. Anonymous August 13, 2009 at 12:04 am #

i have seen some black classic short ugg boots on dif websites they are http://www.aolboots.com
    http://www.linksugg.com/ and does any one know if thee websites are genuine and sell genuine ugg boots thankyou

59. DantePasquale September 3, 2009 at 7:52 pm #

Dude! Love your photography. Just a note to let you know that after happenning upon your blog via "The Strobist" I've been seeking more "behind the scenes" photo shoots. I've been learning a lot and was at an impasse with my craft until you and Mr. Strobist got me past my blockage ;)

Anyway, I was looking at a catalog shoot and this is the best photo of the lighting. Is this the way you would shoot a catalog shot? I guess you need to blast the model from all sides to get the shot! Kind of extreme, but was wondering if this is the way it needs to be done? BTW, I'm not being critical of the photog at all, just curious.

Here's a link to that picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coquettelingerie/3768539571/sizes/l/in/set-72157621874990410/

60. b2key June 11, 2010 at 11:23 am #

Our body is a white paper, every day we choose different max shox R4 , decorate in different styles of design and color of rich and colorful. Obviously not all of them will cost too much in the painting on white paper thinks. Some people draw Botticelli comparable to the works of art, while others are like children’s picture looks graffiti. Those who air Jordan in modern fashion experts will join in the daily wear dress up, but this restore ancient ways of style restoring ancient ways is not easily success, we must pay great attention to detail. "Unique style."
    Choose words and not installed restoring ancient ways, but in the calendar to design for and chic elements. Fashionable handbags personage challenge a difficulty in succession, in order to make his own style. To tell the truth, the choice is not easy to pack restoring ancient ways. Successful restoring enthusiasts can never seems to go wrong. Halloween space-time or Trying to restore ancient ways, to choose the classic ICONS of design jeans .

61. louis vuitton handbags September 22, 2014 at 10:38 pm #

I that can assist all time posted this webreduced post pakenmore to all doing this friends: d because if like to get hold of it afrooftop that mo friends winvalid toowe might