Painting with Light, Hip Hop Edition

Alright. This is just plain cooler than cool. All y’all have seen photography’s “painting with light”, the technique where you leave the shutter on your camera open for a long time, use a light and drag it around in the frame, and get some cool stuff, writing, shapes, etc. But what do you get when you fuse this technique with one of hip hop culture’s oldest pastimes? You get HALO, the brain-child of Parisian artist, Aissa Logerot. From Logerot’s site:

“Halo is a handy light-writing tool, preserving the techniques and gestures that graffiti artists use with spray cans. It is possible to change the color and the brightness of the led to change the graffiti’s styles. If the light doesn’t have enough battery, users simply have to shake it to have energy again.”

In case you’re having the same ideas I had, I’ve already been in contact with him about getting a production model and he was kind enough to respond immediately: “Chase…Unfortunately, by now, Halo is not produced yet. I am currently in contact with some companies and manufacturers which are interested to develop and produce it. If the product will be industrialized, I will inform you about the distribution.”

Well, congrats on HALO, Aissa. I think it’s cooler than hell and I hope it gets “industrialized”. I get dizzy just thinking of all the possibilities.

[more sweet photos and some links after the jump…]

the prototype:

[via my homies from Mad Rad at their site Out For Stardom. Crush it guys!]
[check out Mad Rad’s stellar performance at an earlier edition of our S.F.E.A.D. project.]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

exercise says:

Do we still have an extra ticket?

nootropics says:

I have newly been diagnosed as having an intolerance to Gluten, Dairy and MSG. Gluten and Dairy are simpler factors to avoid, though I am having a hard time figuring out where to store or what to purchase which can result in being MSG free because it comes in different names.

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Thank you

Greetings! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

Estelle says:

Speak to your doctor when you have any queries about herpes as
well as your pregnancy.

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I offer credit and sources back to your internet site? My weblog is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some with the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks!

I completely realize everything you’ve stated. In fact, I browsed by way of your various other articles and I do believe that you’re surely correct. Greatest wishes with this specific internet site.

Julefrokost says:

I beloved as much as you’ll receive performed proper here. The caricature is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an edginess over that you want be turning in the following. in poor health undoubtedly come more in the past again since exactly the same nearly a lot incessantly inside case you protect this increase.

I’ve writers block that comes and goes and I need to have to locate a way to get rid of my writers block. It can occasionally be so bad I can barley make sentences. Any suggestions?

You’ll find extremely lots of details that strategy to take into consideration. That is a fantastic examine bring up. I supply thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly you are able to locate questions just like the 1 you retrieve the spot that the most significant factor will probably be in the honest outstanding faith. I don?t know if guidelines have emerged about items like that, but Almost definitely that your chosen job is clearly labeled as a reasonable game. Both youngsters notice the impact of just a little moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

You made various nice points there. I did a search on the matter and found most people will consent with your blog.

William says:

Valacyclovir (Valtrex) can be an antiviral medication that’s administered
orally (in tablet web form) and works well in suppressive therapy
for individuals who experience regular recurring outbreaks.

website says:

I have learn some good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you place to create any such excellent informative site.

Having read this I believed it was very enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this short article together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you
are just too magnificent. I really like what you
have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way
in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous website.

Excellent post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic?

I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit
more. Many thanks!

David, you don’t receive copies on the previous letters. As the letters go forward that quantity could possibly be in the hundreds. But if there’s a particular letter send us an email and maybe we can figure something out.

This really answered my problem, express gratitude you!

One of the further impressive blogs Ive seen. Merit hence a good deal used for keeping the internet fashionable for a vary. Youve got style, panache, show. I represent it. Please keep it cheery as without the internet is positively lacking in intelligence.

Thanks for that information. It is very helpful for my person.

I have to convey my gratitude for your kindness for those individuals that absolutely need help on this one situation. Your special commitment to getting the message along has been rather invaluable and has without exception empowered individuals like me to attain their objectives. Your entire interesting tutorial means much a person like me and somewhat more to my office workers. Regards; from everyone of us.

great technique well done!

cris says:

Ah come on… Picasso was doing this with Gjon Mili like 60 years ago!

jeux psp says:

Nice technology!
I have never seen this type of hardware before. The effect of painting with light is so realistic and effective. I can't stop my self to do same thing. Isn't it amazing? Thank you so much for sharing such a nice information.

gigi says:

good information in your blog . Thank you!

Chad says:

Now if only they could make caps that flare like a nice Rusto Fat, or a unit that has light drips like my beloved KRINK mop markers.

Jez Sullivan says:

I did a similar thing at college 10 years ago. I used to use the LEDs in Key ring fobs and cigarette lighters and I found that on my old school old Olympus OM-2n, you could get a 5 minute exposure onto colour negative film in Aperture Priority mode. So I used to put it on a tripod and run into the frame and out again, wacky stuff. The film colour casts would go crazy at such long exposures, but it was fun. I'm just getting my college days stuff scanned so mite post one somewhere

Chase…. i thought "ice cold" was cooler then cool…. :-)

i would have prolly used a laser pen and then just flashed the artist while holding a real spray can.

Luke Meister says:

This is probably the coolest way of capturing an artistic paint threw a open shutter! Mega kudos to the creator!

Super cool, and yeah the possibilities with it are awesome. I'm guessing though that since you blogged this, all the followers including myself are going to want to play with it and create some images. It'll be the next big trend!

Kip Beelman says:

Along these same lines is the work of Jeff Newsom. He is a fantastic portrait and wedding photographer, but he's got a personal site with a unique lightpainting technique that has started to make it into his wedding work. Check it out.

Tom England says:

Really cool idea!

car blog says:

I too want one, really sweet and sexy :)

Mr. says:

I can't make my mind up about this: it's a cool idea, but do we really need to have a overdesigned (and undoubtedly overpriced) gadget like this when you can do *exactly* the same thing with a 1$ led light?

i see it like designer vinyl toys: they're cool, but i will never-ever spend 150$ on a plastic doll… ;)

M

Anonymous says:

Cool pic.

mode says:

fantastic work…!

Mihai says:

I just wrote about something like that a few weeks ago, the guys that do something similar are called LICHTFAKTOR, google them and see what you come up with , their pretty good.

Will says:

SOOOO AMAZING! I cannot wait to see more of this!

charles says:

Liked the Picasso. This proves, once again, that there ain't much new, Have you seen this cover of Metro.POP Magazine from several years ago. http://www.metrodotpop.com/back_issues/back_issue_34.html

yeah I saw this last week on Design you trust blog. Amazing little gadget I NEED :) I like that you shake it to charge it up. and I like that the nozzles are changeable for diff colour and thickness. Brilliant idea.

have a look at http://www.lichtfaktor.eu/ they do some amazing lightpainting and are incorperating it into video too

Katrin says:

You should check out http://www.lightgraff.org , they've already taken that idea thousands of miles farther!

charles says:

Sorta trick, but this technique will get real old real fast. A couple of album covers, some editorial and a few ads. How many times do we need to see a hip-hop artist using this before it becomes cliche??? A few photographers will find ways to do things new and interesting … but not many!

But he should sell a lot of these to the people looking for that magic bullet.

Really sweet, would be made even more awesome if there was a way to make the light source larger and smaller. It would help it to further emulate the spray can look.