Painting with Light, Hip Hop Edition

Alright. This is just plain cooler than cool. All y’all have seen photography’s “painting with light”, the technique where you leave the shutter on your camera open for a long time, use a light and drag it around in the frame, and get some cool stuff, writing, shapes, etc. But what do you get when you fuse this technique with one of hip hop culture’s oldest pastimes? You get HALO, the brain-child of Parisian artist, Aissa Logerot. From Logerot’s site:

“Halo is a handy light-writing tool, preserving the techniques and gestures that graffiti artists use with spray cans. It is possible to change the color and the brightness of the led to change the graffiti’s styles. If the light doesn’t have enough battery, users simply have to shake it to have energy again.”

In case you’re having the same ideas I had, I’ve already been in contact with him about getting a production model and he was kind enough to respond immediately: “Chase…Unfortunately, by now, Halo is not produced yet. I am currently in contact with some companies and manufacturers which are interested to develop and produce it. If the product will be industrialized, I will inform you about the distribution.”

Well, congrats on HALO, Aissa. I think it’s cooler than hell and I hope it gets “industrialized”. I get dizzy just thinking of all the possibilities.

[more sweet photos and some links after the jump...]

the prototype:

[via my homies from Mad Rad at their site Out For Stardom. Crush it guys!]
[check out Mad Rad's stellar performance at an earlier edition of our S.F.E.A.D. project.]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

37 Responses to Painting with Light, Hip Hop Edition

1. Leonard J.C. Lim August 24, 2009 at 10:09 am #

Cool!!

2. Jamie Standbridge August 24, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Really sweet, would be made even more awesome if there was a way to make the light source larger and smaller. It would help it to further emulate the spray can look.

3. Jason McGrew Photography August 24, 2009 at 10:16 am #

I want one…

4. Jason McGrew August 24, 2009 at 10:16 am #

I want one…

5. charles August 24, 2009 at 10:30 am #

Sorta trick, but this technique will get real old real fast. A couple of album covers, some editorial and a few ads. How many times do we need to see a hip-hop artist using this before it becomes cliche??? A few photographers will find ways to do things new and interesting … but not many!

But he should sell a lot of these to the people looking for that magic bullet.

6. Katrin August 24, 2009 at 10:52 am #

You should check out http://www.lightgraff.org , they've already taken that idea thousands of miles farther!

7. SShaw Photographic August 24, 2009 at 11:07 am #

Insane!!! great stuff

8. Oliver Edwards Photography August 24, 2009 at 11:46 am #

have a look at http://www.lichtfaktor.eu/ they do some amazing lightpainting and are incorperating it into video too

9. Lorenz Masser August 24, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

Really Cool!

10. Our August 24, 2009 at 2:23 pm #

Ah come on… Picasso was doing this with Gjon Mili like 60 years ago!

11. Scott Ellison August 24, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

yeah I saw this last week on Design you trust blog. Amazing little gadget I NEED :) I like that you shake it to charge it up. and I like that the nozzles are changeable for diff colour and thickness. Brilliant idea.

12. charles August 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm #

Liked the Picasso. This proves, once again, that there ain't much new, Have you seen this cover of Metro.POP Magazine from several years ago. http://www.metrodotpop.com/back_issues/back_issue_34.html

13. Will August 24, 2009 at 6:15 pm #

SOOOO AMAZING! I cannot wait to see more of this!

14. Mihai August 24, 2009 at 9:19 pm #

I just wrote about something like that a few weeks ago, the guys that do something similar are called LICHTFAKTOR, google them and see what you come up with , their pretty good.

15. mode August 24, 2009 at 10:48 pm #

fantastic work…!

16. Anonymous August 25, 2009 at 12:02 am #

Cool pic.

17. Mr. August 25, 2009 at 4:59 am #

I can't make my mind up about this: it's a cool idea, but do we really need to have a overdesigned (and undoubtedly overpriced) gadget like this when you can do *exactly* the same thing with a 1$ led light?

i see it like designer vinyl toys: they're cool, but i will never-ever spend 150$ on a plastic doll… ;)

M

18. car blog August 25, 2009 at 7:44 am #

I too want one, really sweet and sexy :)

19. Tom England August 25, 2009 at 7:45 am #

Really cool idea!

20. Kip Beelman August 25, 2009 at 9:58 am #

Along these same lines is the work of Jeff Newsom. He is a fantastic portrait and wedding photographer, but he's got a personal site with a unique lightpainting technique that has started to make it into his wedding work. Check it out.

21. Matthew Brush August 25, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

Super cool, and yeah the possibilities with it are awesome. I'm guessing though that since you blogged this, all the followers including myself are going to want to play with it and create some images. It'll be the next big trend!

22. Luke Meister August 25, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

This is probably the coolest way of capturing an artistic paint threw a open shutter! Mega kudos to the creator!

23. YnR August 25, 2009 at 8:59 pm #

Yay for Light Painting

24. -------------------------- August 26, 2009 at 11:42 am #

Chase…. i thought "ice cold" was cooler then cool…. :-)

i would have prolly used a laser pen and then just flashed the artist while holding a real spray can.

25. Jez Sullivan August 27, 2009 at 1:49 pm #

I did a similar thing at college 10 years ago. I used to use the LEDs in Key ring fobs and cigarette lighters and I found that on my old school old Olympus OM-2n, you could get a 5 minute exposure onto colour negative film in Aperture Priority mode. So I used to put it on a tripod and run into the frame and out again, wacky stuff. The film colour casts would go crazy at such long exposures, but it was fun. I'm just getting my college days stuff scanned so mite post one somewhere

26. Daniel Fuentealba September 3, 2009 at 12:23 pm #

what a great idea!

27. Chad September 10, 2009 at 11:22 pm #

Now if only they could make caps that flare like a nice Rusto Fat, or a unit that has light drips like my beloved KRINK mop markers.

28. gigi September 17, 2009 at 5:31 pm #

good information in your blog . Thank you!

29. jeux psp October 25, 2009 at 11:14 pm #

Nice technology!
    I have never seen this type of hardware before. The effect of painting with light is so realistic and effective. I can't stop my self to do same thing. Isn't it amazing? Thank you so much for sharing such a nice information.

30. cris November 16, 2009 at 12:55 pm #

Ah come on… Picasso was doing this with Gjon Mili like 60 years ago!

31. canvas paintings November 19, 2009 at 4:43 am #

great technique well done!

32. Zasiedzenie nieruchomosci Warszawa November 23, 2011 at 9:09 am #

I have to convey my gratitude for your kindness for those individuals that absolutely need help on this one situation. Your special commitment to getting the message along has been rather invaluable and has without exception empowered individuals like me to attain their objectives. Your entire interesting tutorial means much a person like me and somewhat more to my office workers. Regards; from everyone of us.

33. Edgar Bradham December 23, 2012 at 2:22 am #

Thanks for that information. It is very helpful for my person.

34. Madalene Dane January 3, 2013 at 6:17 am #

One of the further impressive blogs Ive seen. Merit hence a good deal used for keeping the internet fashionable for a vary. Youve got style, panache, show. I represent it. Please keep it cheery as without the internet is positively lacking in intelligence.

35. France Hoseman January 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

This really answered my problem, express gratitude you!

36. Janyce Prentis July 30, 2014 at 2:45 am #

David, you don’t receive copies on the previous letters. As the letters go forward that quantity could possibly be in the hundreds. But if there’s a particular letter send us an email and maybe we can figure something out.

1. Painting by Light - Learn Everything About Special Effect Photography - December 21, 2011

[...] señal del WiFiOn getting out of a creative rut…Loving Arts and Crafts TimePainting with lightPainting with Light, Hip Hop Edition // .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 [...]