Chase Jarvis TECH: Shooting Sequences

Hopefully you were tuned in the previous coupla weeks to our play-by-play campaign shooting for SanDisk in New Zealand. Well, we’re back in the states, digging out, editing and what not, and as promised, we’ve got more content from the trip to post. In this Chase Jarvis TECH, I’m responding to hordes of you who asked 1)why are you shooting so many frames? 2) why in the world are you shooting on a tripod? and/or 3)how do you create sequenced frames of the skier or snowboarder atop the stationary background?

Hope this answers all three questions and a little more. [Additional videos/links from behind the scenes in New Zealand after the jump...]

Related videos + posts:
[Now You Know, Sandisk Extreme Pro]
[Photo Gear Mania]
[Behind The Curtain: Guts of a Commercial Shoot Video]
[Video Report From the Heliworks Barn]
[Video: Packing Quick 'n' Dirty]
[Chase Jarvis RAW: NZ Basecamp]
[UPDATED behind-the-scenes snapshot gallery]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

75 Responses to Chase Jarvis TECH: Shooting Sequences

1. Nicholas Collister September 29, 2009 at 9:54 am #

2:35…nice

great video once again chase and team. I cant wait to get my new 3gs and try out your new app. Iv been hearing great things about it.

2. Moe Maamoun September 29, 2009 at 10:57 am #

Hi Chase!
    Thanks a lot for sharing the video with us!

I've been looking forward to the video of these particular photo.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

3. Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Great behind the scenes posts; thanks for sharing! Question: what's your take on those Nikon remotes? I don't think I've seen you use them.

al.

4. Stephen September 29, 2009 at 11:14 am #

why the D2 over the D3?

5. Abe Froman September 29, 2009 at 11:17 am #

6. Ghislain September 29, 2009 at 11:21 am #

Really cool Chase! Tks for sharing. Question when you're in the PIPE and the rider are coming to you, are you using the autofocus of the D3 to stay on focus with the rider or you use a manual focus? Iguess the shot on the sideline where you seems to be using the 70-200mm lends farout, you're on manual focus and just burst? Great shoot and great post. Tks again!

7. Derek Anson September 29, 2009 at 11:30 am #

excellent video.

8. nikky September 29, 2009 at 11:54 am #

sweet!

cloning is fun

there's a cool flickr group for this at http://www.flickr.com/groups/home_grown_clones/ if anyone's interested in checking that out

9. Kyle Tunney September 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

Great stuff as always Chase, been dying to get out and do more of these type of shots. I created a tutorial last year that some of your readers might be interested in. Creating a descriptive timeline action shot.

Peace,
    Kyle

10. Chase Jarvis September 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

@ anon: I use pocketwizard remotes

11. Kurtis September 29, 2009 at 1:00 pm #

With my 5D Mark II, I could probably get like… 3 of the instances of the rider in the air. Ha.

For those asking about manual vs. autofocus, for this sort of thing you've got to use manual focus, and that's why he said he would shoot at ISO 400 even in the bright sun so he can stop down. Otherwise, the results can look weird if you're changing focus, and the AF may choose to focus on something other than what you want and ruin a couple shots in a series.

12. Chase Jarvis September 29, 2009 at 1:02 pm #

@ stephen: that's the D3 all the way.

@ ghislain: when fixed on sequences, I prefocus and ensure my depth of field will be fine in all shots…ie. why i'm shooting at iso400, f13, 1000

that said, the d3 is plenty good enough to autofocus at 8fps anything running at your or flying at you very very fast, with nearly 100% accuracy if you're on the right AF setting for a particular situation.

13. JeffSundin September 29, 2009 at 2:57 pm #

THe comment that sums up this video the best was his very last line…"That's just good clean fun, right there." It shows he loves what he does and does what he loves.

14. Wayne Mah September 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

Awesome shoot… thanks for explaining about the tripod. Makes so much sense now. Do you need super fast memory to keep up to all the frames?

15. Stephen September 29, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

@ chase: Ok I guess I'm seeing things. I was questioning wether or not to even ask if it was a D2/D3 haha

16. André Weigel September 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

Pretty nice "behind the scene" video. Thanx and cheers !

17. Sonnydelight September 29, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

@Wayne, I think that was the whole idea behind the shoot. I'm thinking it would have been impossible without the new SanDisk cards Chase got to play with.

18. John September 29, 2009 at 5:16 pm #

Chase, thanks for sharing that! Awesome!

19. The Leisurist September 29, 2009 at 6:07 pm #

Still curious how you used strobes @ 8fps for the night sequences?

20. Fred CKHW September 29, 2009 at 6:31 pm #

I'm sure this video is great. But I can't watch it as I'm in China. Youtube is blocked. How about another parallel setup with Vimeo… :) :) :)

21. Phat Baby Photographer September 29, 2009 at 7:55 pm #

Thanks for answering the question about the tripod. Curious if it helps at all to use a PW remote to trigger the motor to avoid bumping the camera around with the boxing gloves (i.e. winter gloves)?

Awesome stuff – looking forward to seeing the post production and final ad.

22. BrunoAxhausen September 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm #

Very cool, thanks for posting this!
    Cheers
    Bruno

PS I always thought I'd be jealous about the D3's frame rate over the D90… D90's fps are fine for me, but I'm definitely jealous about the buffer now :-(

23. Stef G September 30, 2009 at 2:42 am #

Why no updates on the iTunes podcast feed?

24. Jesper Elgaard September 30, 2009 at 3:52 am #

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!

25. Rory September 30, 2009 at 7:27 am #

hey Chase – nice video – thanks for sharing. I'm guessing you are shooting a jpeg sequence here…? or are these RAW files? If so, I'm staggered.

26. Chase Jarvis September 30, 2009 at 8:18 am #

@ rory – those are all 14 bit RAW files ;)

ohhh the power.

27. Boon September 30, 2009 at 9:02 am #

nice! great video!

28. Car Blog September 30, 2009 at 9:25 am #

That indeed is pretty cool stuff, good going chase.

29. Frozen Forever Photography September 30, 2009 at 10:39 am #

Oh ya and if your camera wont shoot 8-10fps, you can just buy ten cameras and delay them 1/10th of a second… Nice work Chase, I love shooting sport sequences, I just dont like the time it takes on the computer.

30. StoreX™ September 30, 2009 at 11:31 am #

Great video and tips. You know you can tell a true photographer by how passionate about it they are. No secrets, just wanting everyone to be able to enjoy the art of making photographs. Thanks ( http://wpclassifieds.net )

31. Brennan Harvey September 30, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

Sorry not to be rude. But there are handfuls of photographers out there that can do what Ive seen you shooting. Now I think your one of the best for your feild, your up there with Embry Rucker (www.embryrucker.com/) in my books.

The strange thing is that you most likely come at a much more expensive price tag. Same with your crew. Where as If Dean Blotto Gray or Daniel Blom where to shoot this job, it would cost way less for client.

I imagine what Im not seeing is the unit of production, the spreads, and the "other stuff" that will be going into this shoot.

Wonderful job on all your work mate. Keep it up

32. Dan September 30, 2009 at 7:59 pm #

Cool video.

And thanks for explaining that you need the take-off and landing in the photo! As a skateboard photographer, photos without those are a huge pet peeve of mine.

33. Aimee Greeblemonkey September 30, 2009 at 8:17 pm #

Awesome. Love it.

34. Doug September 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm #

Awesome post Chase!
    Infomative as always!
    Thanks for sharing.

35. John Batdorff October 1, 2009 at 7:32 am #

Great….video.

36. tomvh October 1, 2009 at 11:43 am #

High five for this video!

I love your way of talking about photography & of course creativity! Everytime I see a movie of you where you explaine something, I wanna take some cool shots outside!
    Keep up the good things because I like all of this!

37. mjk_photo October 1, 2009 at 1:18 pm #

Love the videos Chase! Keep it up.

38. Simon October 1, 2009 at 5:27 pm #

@ Brennan Harvey

Where's the price tag ? Have you seen a price tag ? I haven't…

So how can you assume he's way more expensive than some other photographers ?

And yes, it's not totally original but that's what the client want, to show the speed of the CF cards.

I still think it's great, Chase.

39. Ray October 1, 2009 at 11:10 pm #

The video is cool but I gotta say the goggles really make the video for me.

40. Daven October 2, 2009 at 12:35 am #

Chase — you're a great inspiration to myself and my own journey to develop my photographic eye. Thanks for sharing so much with the community!

41. ian Aitken October 2, 2009 at 4:07 am #

Nice one, Chase,its a bit old now but but check out these ads done with the same technique.

A retouching studio taylor james used to have it listed as a case study on their site.

cheers.

42. Ulrich Schuster October 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

chase here is frequent follower from Germany and I must say that I am sort of addicted to your videos… I just want more so give me more of the behind the scenes stuff … cubefruits.com …. greetings from munich (city of beer… yes its an octoberfest invistation … )

43. Ulrich Schuster October 2, 2009 at 2:20 pm #

… correction …. a follower from gbermany… sorry …

44. jason Grubb October 3, 2009 at 1:26 pm #

Chase… I know it's a ton of work to be on location, huge job, lots of pressure AND sharing all of that with us. Thank you!

45. Josh Franklin October 4, 2009 at 12:08 pm #

Hey Chase,

I know this might be an ignorant question but. How often does it really matter if you are shooting 14 bit instead of 12 bit? I know there is 4 times the data, but is that always needed?

Thanks.

46. Chase Jarvis October 4, 2009 at 4:48 pm #

@ josh: i just try to capture the highest possible quality file with the equipment i've got with me.

47. Chase Jarvis October 4, 2009 at 4:48 pm #

48. islami sohbet October 10, 2009 at 5:42 am #

Wonderful view, I really love to shot in that place, snowy and bright. Thanks.

49. Chase Jarvis October 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm #

@ Stef G: it's live in the podcasts now!

50. Anonymous October 13, 2009 at 8:11 am #

51. SamPerry October 15, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

"Why are you willing to share so much information about your photography? Don't you feel that the years you have spent paying your dues and working your way up are worth something?"

of course he does. that is exactly why he is giving it away.

i think this came from one of chase's blog posts last year on a famous photographer. it has stuck with me ever since:

if you keep something it dies with you. give it away and it grows. this makes you work harder to develop your style even further.

this is what makes photography such an incredible learning experience.

52. Chris Biele October 17, 2009 at 11:43 am #

This is hot. You're giving me D3 envy. Can't wait to get my hands on the D300s soon!

53. steve February 15, 2012 at 2:25 am #

hey Chase,

Awesome work man! You are one of my favorite action sports photogs to check out. Love the work.

Anyway I was wondering if you have any tips for editing these sequences in photoshop? like is there a quick way to throw them together in a batch?

Any tips would be a bug help! Thanks man!

-steve

• Scott Rinckenberger February 15, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Hi Steve,

The easiest way we’ve found to do this in photoshop is to open all of the files in Photoshop and then go to File>Scripts>Load Files Into Stack. This creates a single document with all of the frames you want to use in the composite. Then it’s a just a matter of selecting one layer as the one that contains the entire image, and then masking out everything but the subject on all of the rest of the layers.

Hope this helps.

54. Keturah Colarusso September 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

I had the opportunity to try a friend’s new iPad. Excellent device!

55. Dads Bookmarks September 28, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Hello there Ladies & Gentleman, believe it or simply not this is still the very first 7 days on the world-wide-web, i confess i am bit late with this technological innovation, but better now then never – right? I was already able to grab 100 of book marks of things which often interest me, if i would have known the online world has all of this, i would have tried to get it earlier then in my 60s. My favourite book mark so far, that i take a look at almost every single other evening is Leaked Celeb Tapes, its pleasing! I wanted to follow those practices of those other posters here which say thanks nicely all over the place. What a unexpected friendly community right here. Appears the web is stuffed with good people. Ideal Regards and a blessed week to all of you!

56. Vaughn Simkowitz September 29, 2012 at 4:36 am #

Hello. Cool post. There’s a problem with your site in chrome, and you might want to test this… The browser is the marketplace chief and a big section of other people will pass over your magnificent writing due to this problem.

57. leaked nude celeb September 29, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha tool for my comment form? Seems I’m using the same blog engine as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

58. spanish lessons sevenoaks October 3, 2012 at 8:34 am #

I enjoyed your useful post. excellent stuff. I hope you produce many. I will continue watching

59. Stevie Rohweder October 7, 2012 at 11:30 am #

I have observed that in the world nowadays, video games are definitely the latest rage with children of all ages. There are times when it may be extremely hard to drag the kids away from the games. If you want the best of both worlds, there are lots of educational gaming activities for kids. Interesting post.

60. Buster Westen October 9, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I’d like to have far more info on this topic, can I request you the sources you utilized to create your post?

61. Uploaded October 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm #

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues? A few of my blog readers have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

62. Read This October 13, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I believe you have noted some very interesting points, thanks for the post.

63. our website October 16, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Dead pent content, appreciate it for selective information.

64. Julianna Sesko October 24, 2012 at 2:14 am #

I like what you guys are up to. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys. I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website. :)

65. Young Westerholm November 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Really enjoyed this article post. Fantastic.

66. Chester Colina November 1, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Enjoyed every bit of your blog. Awesome.

67. Waste of Money November 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

Good day Ladies & Gentleman, believe it or not this is still the 1st 1 week on the web, i confess i am bit late with this technological innovation, but better now then never – right? I was previously able to grab 100 of book marks of items which usually interest me, if i would have known the internet has all this, i would certainly have tried to get it earlier then in my 60s. My favourite book mark so far, which i take a look at more or less every single other day is Scandal Tapes Leaked, its very good! I wanted to comply with those behaviors of those other posters in this article which say thanks nicely almost everywhere. What a unpredicted pleasant community here. Appears the net is filled with helpful men and women. Finest Regards and a blessed full week to everyone!

68. crear website November 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

I do trust all of the ideas you have offered for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for starters. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

69. Ezra Mcmaster November 20, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Of course I like your website, however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform you. Nevertheless I will surely come back again!

70. Boca Raton CPA January 10, 2013 at 7:38 am #

Thanks! I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.

71. wedding rings January 10, 2013 at 10:54 pm #

In search of ahead to researching extra from you afterward!…

72. http://micronichefinderreviews2.com/ June 10, 2013 at 5:42 am #

I simply have been to a workshop and they told all of us that as well. Thank you for discussing, you made a great stage.

73. my latest blog post July 19, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!

Very helpful information particularly the last part
    :) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking
    this certain information for a very long time. Thank you
    and good luck.