Chase Jarvis TECH: Shooting Sequences

Hopefully you were tuned in the previous coupla weeks to our play-by-play campaign shooting for SanDisk in New Zealand. Well, we’re back in the states, digging out, editing and what not, and as promised, we’ve got more content from the trip to post. In this Chase Jarvis TECH, I’m responding to hordes of you who asked 1)why are you shooting so many frames? 2) why in the world are you shooting on a tripod? and/or 3)how do you create sequenced frames of the skier or snowboarder atop the stationary background?

Hope this answers all three questions and a little more. [Additional videos/links from behind the scenes in New Zealand after the jump…]

Related videos + posts:
[Now You Know, Sandisk Extreme Pro]
[Photo Gear Mania]
[Behind The Curtain: Guts of a Commercial Shoot Video]
[Video Report From the Heliworks Barn]
[Video: Packing Quick ‘n’ Dirty]
[Chase Jarvis RAW: NZ Basecamp]
[UPDATED behind-the-scenes snapshot gallery]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

we are fans says:

chernov behmer forewarn thudd cinematography Jeana doren ramblin coolers

The Derby war, Yaya Toure knee score, Aguero plum to open two degrees, Negredo two assists, Navas right-sided over Manchester United also serve a assists, Nasri in addition to their own goals, invigorated the team’s offensive

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!

Very helpful information particularly the last part
:) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking
this certain information for a very long time. Thank you
and good luck.

I simply have been to a workshop and they told all of us that as well. Thank you for discussing, you made a great stage.

In search of ahead to researching extra from you afterward!…

Thanks! I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.

Of course I like your website, however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very troublesome to inform you. Nevertheless I will surely come back again!

I do trust all of the ideas you have offered for your post. They are really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for starters. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

Good day Ladies & Gentleman, believe it or not this is still the 1st 1 week on the web, i confess i am bit late with this technological innovation, but better now then never – right? I was previously able to grab 100 of book marks of items which usually interest me, if i would have known the internet has all this, i would certainly have tried to get it earlier then in my 60s. My favourite book mark so far, which i take a look at more or less every single other day is Scandal Tapes Leaked, its very good! I wanted to comply with those behaviors of those other posters in this article which say thanks nicely almost everywhere. What a unpredicted pleasant community here. Appears the net is filled with helpful men and women. Finest Regards and a blessed full week to everyone!

Enjoyed every bit of your blog. Awesome.

Really enjoyed this article post. Fantastic.

I like what you guys are up to. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys. I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my website. :)

our website says:

Dead pent content, appreciate it for selective information.

Read This says:

I believe you have noted some very interesting points, thanks for the post.

Uploaded says:

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility issues? A few of my blog readers have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

I’d like to have far more info on this topic, can I request you the sources you utilized to create your post?

I have observed that in the world nowadays, video games are definitely the latest rage with children of all ages. There are times when it may be extremely hard to drag the kids away from the games. If you want the best of both worlds, there are lots of educational gaming activities for kids. Interesting post.

I enjoyed your useful post. excellent stuff. I hope you produce many. I will continue watching

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha tool for my comment form? Seems I’m using the same blog engine as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

Hello. Cool post. There’s a problem with your site in chrome, and you might want to test this… The browser is the marketplace chief and a big section of other people will pass over your magnificent writing due to this problem.

Hello there Ladies & Gentleman, believe it or simply not this is still the very first 7 days on the world-wide-web, i confess i am bit late with this technological innovation, but better now then never – right? I was already able to grab 100 of book marks of things which often interest me, if i would have known the online world has all of this, i would have tried to get it earlier then in my 60s. My favourite book mark so far, that i take a look at almost every single other evening is Leaked Celeb Tapes, its pleasing! I wanted to follow those practices of those other posters here which say thanks nicely all over the place. What a unexpected friendly community right here. Appears the web is stuffed with good people. Ideal Regards and a blessed week to all of you!

I had the opportunity to try a friend’s new iPad. Excellent device!

steve says:

hey Chase,

Awesome work man! You are one of my favorite action sports photogs to check out. Love the work.

Anyway I was wondering if you have any tips for editing these sequences in photoshop? like is there a quick way to throw them together in a batch?

Any tips would be a bug help! Thanks man!

-steve

Hi Steve,

The easiest way we’ve found to do this in photoshop is to open all of the files in Photoshop and then go to File>Scripts>Load Files Into Stack. This creates a single document with all of the frames you want to use in the composite. Then it’s a just a matter of selecting one layer as the one that contains the entire image, and then masking out everything but the subject on all of the rest of the layers.

Hope this helps.

Chris Biele says:

This is hot. You're giving me D3 envy. Can't wait to get my hands on the D300s soon!

SamPerry says:

"Why are you willing to share so much information about your photography? Don't you feel that the years you have spent paying your dues and working your way up are worth something?"

of course he does. that is exactly why he is giving it away.

i think this came from one of chase's blog posts last year on a famous photographer. it has stuck with me ever since:

if you keep something it dies with you. give it away and it grows. this makes you work harder to develop your style even further.

this is what makes photography such an incredible learning experience.

Anonymous says:

Chase Jarvis says:

@ Stef G: it's live in the podcasts now!

Wonderful view, I really love to shot in that place, snowy and bright. Thanks.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ josh: i just try to capture the highest possible quality file with the equipment i've got with me.

Chase Jarvis says:

Hey Chase,

I know this might be an ignorant question but. How often does it really matter if you are shooting 14 bit instead of 12 bit? I know there is 4 times the data, but is that always needed?

Thanks.

jason Grubb says:

Chase… I know it's a ton of work to be on location, huge job, lots of pressure AND sharing all of that with us. Thank you!

… correction …. a follower from gbermany… sorry …

chase here is frequent follower from Germany and I must say that I am sort of addicted to your videos… I just want more so give me more of the behind the scenes stuff … cubefruits.com …. greetings from munich (city of beer… yes its an octoberfest invistation … )

ian Aitken says:

Nice one, Chase,its a bit old now but but check out these ads done with the same technique.

A retouching studio taylor james used to have it listed as a case study on their site.

cheers.

Daven says:

Chase — you're a great inspiration to myself and my own journey to develop my photographic eye. Thanks for sharing so much with the community!

Ray says:

The video is cool but I gotta say the goggles really make the video for me.

Simon says:

@ Brennan Harvey

Where's the price tag ? Have you seen a price tag ? I haven't…

So how can you assume he's way more expensive than some other photographers ?

And yes, it's not totally original but that's what the client want, to show the speed of the CF cards.

I still think it's great, Chase.

mjk_photo says:

Love the videos Chase! Keep it up.

tomvh says:

High five for this video!

I love your way of talking about photography & of course creativity! Everytime I see a movie of you where you explaine something, I wanna take some cool shots outside!
Keep up the good things because I like all of this!

Doug says:

Awesome post Chase!
Infomative as always!
Thanks for sharing.

Dan says:

Cool video.

And thanks for explaining that you need the take-off and landing in the photo! As a skateboard photographer, photos without those are a huge pet peeve of mine.

Sorry not to be rude. But there are handfuls of photographers out there that can do what Ive seen you shooting. Now I think your one of the best for your feild, your up there with Embry Rucker (www.embryrucker.com/) in my books.

The strange thing is that you most likely come at a much more expensive price tag. Same with your crew. Where as If Dean Blotto Gray or Daniel Blom where to shoot this job, it would cost way less for client.

I imagine what Im not seeing is the unit of production, the spreads, and the "other stuff" that will be going into this shoot.

Wonderful job on all your work mate. Keep it up

StoreX™ says:

Great video and tips. You know you can tell a true photographer by how passionate about it they are. No secrets, just wanting everyone to be able to enjoy the art of making photographs. Thanks ( http://wpclassifieds.net )

Oh ya and if your camera wont shoot 8-10fps, you can just buy ten cameras and delay them 1/10th of a second… Nice work Chase, I love shooting sport sequences, I just dont like the time it takes on the computer.

Car Blog says:

That indeed is pretty cool stuff, good going chase.

Boon says:

nice! great video!

Chase Jarvis says:

@ rory – those are all 14 bit RAW files ;)

ohhh the power.

Rory says:

hey Chase – nice video – thanks for sharing. I'm guessing you are shooting a jpeg sequence here…? or are these RAW files? If so, I'm staggered.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Stef G says:

Why no updates on the iTunes podcast feed?

Very cool, thanks for posting this!
Cheers
Bruno

PS I always thought I'd be jealous about the D3's frame rate over the D90… D90's fps are fine for me, but I'm definitely jealous about the buffer now :-(

Thanks for answering the question about the tripod. Curious if it helps at all to use a PW remote to trigger the motor to avoid bumping the camera around with the boxing gloves (i.e. winter gloves)?

Awesome stuff – looking forward to seeing the post production and final ad.

Fred CKHW says:

I'm sure this video is great. But I can't watch it as I'm in China. Youtube is blocked. How about another parallel setup with Vimeo… :) :) :)

The Leisurist says:

Still curious how you used strobes @ 8fps for the night sequences?

John says:

Chase, thanks for sharing that! Awesome!

Sonnydelight says:

@Wayne, I think that was the whole idea behind the shoot. I'm thinking it would have been impossible without the new SanDisk cards Chase got to play with.

Pretty nice "behind the scene" video. Thanx and cheers !

Stephen says:

@ chase: Ok I guess I'm seeing things. I was questioning wether or not to even ask if it was a D2/D3 haha

Wayne Mah says:

Awesome shoot… thanks for explaining about the tripod. Makes so much sense now. Do you need super fast memory to keep up to all the frames?

JeffSundin says:

THe comment that sums up this video the best was his very last line…"That's just good clean fun, right there." It shows he loves what he does and does what he loves.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ stephen: that's the D3 all the way.

@ ghislain: when fixed on sequences, I prefocus and ensure my depth of field will be fine in all shots…ie. why i'm shooting at iso400, f13, 1000

that said, the d3 is plenty good enough to autofocus at 8fps anything running at your or flying at you very very fast, with nearly 100% accuracy if you're on the right AF setting for a particular situation.

Kurtis says:

With my 5D Mark II, I could probably get like… 3 of the instances of the rider in the air. Ha.

For those asking about manual vs. autofocus, for this sort of thing you've got to use manual focus, and that's why he said he would shoot at ISO 400 even in the bright sun so he can stop down. Otherwise, the results can look weird if you're changing focus, and the AF may choose to focus on something other than what you want and ruin a couple shots in a series.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ anon: I use pocketwizard remotes

Kyle Tunney says:

Great stuff as always Chase, been dying to get out and do more of these type of shots. I created a tutorial last year that some of your readers might be interested in. Creating a descriptive timeline action shot.

Peace,
Kyle

Ghislain says:

Really cool Chase! Tks for sharing. Question when you're in the PIPE and the rider are coming to you, are you using the autofocus of the D3 to stay on focus with the rider or you use a manual focus? Iguess the shot on the sideline where you seems to be using the 70-200mm lends farout, you're on manual focus and just burst? Great shoot and great post. Tks again!

Abe Froman says:

Stephen says:

why the D2 over the D3?

Anonymous says:

Great behind the scenes posts; thanks for sharing! Question: what's your take on those Nikon remotes? I don't think I've seen you use them.

al.

Moe Maamoun says:

Hi Chase!
Thanks a lot for sharing the video with us!

I've been looking forward to the video of these particular photo.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

2:35…nice

great video once again chase and team. I cant wait to get my new 3gs and try out your new app. Iv been hearing great things about it.