Photo Gear-Mania + Shamwow

Dozens of you chimed in last week about wanting to see some of the gear we were using in New Zealand for the past 10 days, so here’s the bounty. Might sound funny, but it’s quite stripped down for us, based on the creative direction that you saw here.

Regardless, hope you get your fill here… and the Shamwow reference is just a funny pop-culture, infomercial joke. We like to soak up our spilled beers with Shamwow, but don’t clean your lenses with it! More NZ wrap up still coming…

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

Renetta Kem says:

Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Ashara’s post is very very helpful…good work girl

Miklós says:

HI Chase,
Your gear arsenal is amazing. SOrry for bothering you with my question but I think you could give me a valuable advice.

I'm a photo dreamer and I collected a nice gear – Nikon D700 with good lenses, but its still a hobby for me. Last week I created a first studio shot and it was very successful. It gives me a big boost

My dream is a location work with quality lights.
And now I decided to follow my dreams.

In Hungary there is no chance for renting so I would like to buy a studio light for location portrait and action work.
(I think I have to go for a battery pack thing..)
My budget is totally 1500-2000 USD.

Could you suggest me a good solution?
Which is the minimum gear I need?
(ok I know my SB900 is the minimum:)) but I cannot afford a mistake:)))
Thanks in advance!

Chase Jarvis says:

@jz. yes.

jz says:

HI Chase. I Admire your work. I was wondering if the Lowepro aw trekker 2 will fit as a carry on?

Ken Butti says:

haha. Chase i love how you corrected yourself from the Image Stabalizer (Canon) to Vibration Reduction (Nikon VR system)

love the videos.
Best,
Ken Butti

Sarah says:

Ok…maybe I'm a bit slow…what are you using the Shamwow for??

MacGyver says:

Great info as always. Thanks for sharing.

The SSDs you have mounted on the lid of the laptop case – are they linked by USB or Firewire and are they fast enough to do video editing or do you use them just for photo backup?

tatcom says:

Now, honestly: "Negative Ghostrider" – how many times have you guys watched Top Gun!? :)

jordax says:

What I found most interesting is that Chase actually seems a little unfamiliar with the kit and uncertain what all of it is. I don't view this as a negative, rather it highlights Chase's initial comment that he's more interested in the creative side than the gear side.

Kit is great but it's the creative side where it's at.

That said, I broadly agree with Dacus' comment above – I'd like to know more about when you choose to use certain kit over other kit. Obviously for high-speed sports you'll need fast gear, but what else makes the difference?

Hi!

Congratulations! Your readers have submitted and voted for your blog at The Daily Reviewer. We compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 Photography Blogs, and we are glad to let you know that your blog was included! You can see it at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/photography/6

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award here

P.S. This is a one-time notice to let you know your blog was included in one of our Top 100 Blog categories. You might get notices if you are listed in two or more categories.

P.P.S. If for some reason you want your blog removed from our list, just send an email to angelina@thedailyreviewer.com with the subject line "REMOVE" and the link to your blog in the body of the message.

Cheers!

Angelina Mizaki
Selection Committee President
The Daily Reviewer

Gallo says:

Thanks for sharing!!!

JJ says:

It was quick video but realy interesting.

Simon says:

Greatly appreciate you sharing your experience & insights with us – look forward to seeing the results with Sandisk now… your personal landscape stuff is great too – I'm a big fan of dramatic B&W; images

Thanks for the all the videos and the behind the scenes from your recent trip. You brought the shamwow, but did you not bring your Slap-Chop with you too?

Anonymous says:

Did you have a backup D3 body? Seems like it's the only body capable of getting the high frame rate shots you've been doing. I sometimes struggle with how many bodies to bring on a job…

Darren Wen says:

Thanks Chase! like your work :) keep it up!

Thanks for sharing all this inside stuff man. Really appreciate it! You have some awesome gear with you guys. O and sorry about the stands man.

This has been a great series Chase. Really appreciate your willingness to share.

VC Pigs says:

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full. The best (and probably most obscure) pop culture reference of them all. Gear aside, this one made me smile the most. Thanks!

Dina says:

Grade A stuff. I’m unquesiotbnaly in your debt.

Anonymous says:

Tienes un equipo increíble y tus videos son divertidos e informativos gracias por compartirlos !!!!

Great stuff. Thanks for always giving us great videos!!!!!

car blog says:

Pretty fast that is!

jason Grubb says:

Great stuff. That's a ton of gear – heavy bag. Keep working out.

Fotografi says:

Funny but useful. Thanks, it's always interesting discover youre gear.

mat g says:

chase, thanks for all your hard work …. but now you have to burn that shirt!!!!

myimagelife says:

love all your videos … please kindly keep them coming

The Leisurist says:

Would love to know your technique for the high speed synching of the strobes and camera to get those sequences. Obviously those packs can't keep up with the 10fps and your shutter speed wasn't 250th or below….

What's the sling on the D-300 screwed into the tripod socket? Do you trust it completely? How about a Chase Jarvis edition of the Shamwow…with a color chart printed on it or even better a conversion table from ounces to liters so you can gauge how many beers you've had.
Regards,

Scott
Scott Shepard Photography

Anonymous says:

The requested URL /video/video.php was not found on this server. ?

The Cutters says:

I especially loved the enthusiastic way you narrated the exposition.

Carl Spring says:

Chase, I know I have seen it somewhere, but can't seem to find it. What bags are you using for your DSLR kit?

Paul Sherar says:

good use of pop-culture icons!
dig your work

Thanks for always giving us great videos with cool random bits in them! All the information you share for free is really inspiring and I am very grateful. I hope every bit that you've "paid it forward" will continue to bless you 100x over!
You do so much cool stuff it helps me get out and try new things and push myself!

the Dacus says:

Gear lists are great, but most pros have a set of f/2.8 zooms and filler primes, however! the better question is why you use what lenses and when?

Brian Solano says:

Hard to beleive all this behind the scenes is not part of the Sandisk campaign. Definitely some added value you've been able to hook them up with. Good work Chase!

Rockhopper says:

Sod the camera kit, i want a shamwow, you could have used the mop as a cheaper lightstand, did I say wow?

Picks up cola, wow

Dont forget shamwow!

Photobby says:

That and it appears that you only took one shirt with you…. You were packing light.

Photobby says:

Thanks Chase! Dig that you are letting us into your world!