Play-By-Play Commercial Shoot for the Next Two Weeks

For those of you that like the behind the scenes content, prepare for a deluge.

I’m off to New Zealand to shoot a campaign literally this minute, and for the next two weeks I’ll be giving you the absolute best play-by-play that I can here via the blog, on facebook, and on twitter. It’s a huge challenge while I’m working the super long shoot days to pull this off, but I’m going to give it my best shot.

I’ve been informally surveying many readers for the past 6 months about what kind of content you want, and how you want it served up, and what I heard loud and clear was that amidst all the talk on creativity, the advertising industry, and general photography/pop culture musings, you still want as much of the core that this blog was founded on: the best behind the scenes look I can give. I asked if you preferred that I polished the content for easy digestion, and you told me that–if it was between getting it polished in 6 months, or getting is raw right away–you’d take the latter any day. So that’s what this will be.

I’m off to the airport. Lots more details and a whole lotta stuff to come…I’m now late for my flight – Kate, Scott and Dartanyon are looking at me like I’m nuts…

QUICK UPDATE FROM LAX:
1. Send in questions via comments below, facebook, or twitter and I’ll try to get to as many as I can in followup posts, vids, etc.
2. I’m pulling this together on the fly, but the plan is to have just the overview stuff happening on the blog, with the gory details via Twitter and Fbook…

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

30 Responses to Play-By-Play Commercial Shoot for the Next Two Weeks

1. David Teran September 5, 2009 at 4:36 pm #

yess! thank God!

this is awesome. i can't wait.

2. Matthew Dutile September 5, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Sweet! :)

3. Kyle Tunney September 5, 2009 at 4:55 pm #

Great stuff Chase, have a blast and looking forward to seeing some videos!!

Kyle

4. jeff September 5, 2009 at 4:58 pm #

Hell Yeah!…Chase this stuff is truly inspiring, plus it makes it a little less daunting to us N00Bs when we can see how someone of your position handles the situations

Jeff

5. Victor September 5, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

YOU ARE AWESOME. THANKS CHASE!

6. Alex DiFiori September 5, 2009 at 5:07 pm #

Hold on to your pants man, it's gonna a wild ride.

7. Aaron September 5, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

Really looking forward to this. Thanks for doing it Chase.

8. adrian September 5, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

you and your crew are so generous, I love the behind the scenes stuff…. the more raw and unedited the better!
    thanks a million for sharing your world
    A

9. jquig99 September 5, 2009 at 5:43 pm #

Safe flight and really looking forward to the play-by-play. Thanks for making the time to share!

10. Dmitry Futoryan September 5, 2009 at 5:45 pm #

Definitely exciting news! Watching your behind the scenes footage has inspired me to do some of my own.

Watching how you deal with the whole scope of a project really helps evaluate my own process and I learn something new every time I watch one of your videos.

Looking forward to seeing more cool stuff!

-Dmitry

11. Joost September 5, 2009 at 6:13 pm #

I'm really looking forward to this too Chase, can't wait! :)

As a rather noob photographer which is starting to get some (smallish)commercial jobs, I love to see how things are done in the big boys world :) .

My ideal posts: every single detail, from how you got the job, what aspects are in the legal contracts to how you pick the models, how you determine your fee but especially how you get ideas for the job. Some RAW/Tech videos are ofcourse also very welcome :) .

Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

- Joost

12. Aaron Spence September 5, 2009 at 7:11 pm #

Brilliant that you've got a gig in NZ, but sad that the client is flying a team half way round the world instead of having a local team do the work. As great as your work is, I figure there are others on this side of the planet equally capable. (I'm not referring to me ;)

Not your fault of course, the client has asked you to go to NZ… who wouldn't take the money & travel?

Aaron Spence.

13. Pablo Azócar September 5, 2009 at 7:22 pm #

cool …. I'm NZ now, let me know if you need any help, I'm happy to trade for experience with one of the best.

pabloazocar@gmail.com

14. Downtown Imagery September 5, 2009 at 7:32 pm #

Werd!!! looking forward to it Chase.

15. Jake September 5, 2009 at 7:59 pm #

awesome that you're coming back to the land of the long white cloud Chase… If you're in Wellington at any time, give me a shout if you need a pair of hands, or just someone to show you the best pubs ;)

16. Daniel Goncalves September 5, 2009 at 9:12 pm #

Rock on Chase. You'll have to take us next time! Great part of the world. We appreciate your sharing with the photography community. I'm trying to do the same on the other coast in FL. Inspired by you and the way you do business. Blog: http://fotobiashoots.blogspot.com

17. rushingray September 5, 2009 at 9:26 pm #

Very cool. Can't wait to see it.

18. Chris Bermudo September 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm #

awesome, im gonna be coming back to this page everyday for the next couple of weeks. hmm i've been doing that for as long as i can remember i guess that don't change anything :)

have fun guys and be careful

Chris

19. photoholic September 6, 2009 at 2:26 am #

awesome! you are great chase. three cheers and good luck on the campaign.

20. skyone September 6, 2009 at 2:30 am #

Very much looking forward to this!

21. Tom Scott September 6, 2009 at 6:11 am #

Sounds great Chase, however I reckon the crux of what people are looking for is how to be in the position you're in, and the tough answer there is that whilst we should all continually improve our skills, knowledge, technique and creative ingenuity, there will only ever be a handful constituting the cream and the crop.

Fair play to you for being one of them and sharing EVERYTHING so generously, see you on the other side Bro … one day!

Good luck in Oz/NZ.

Tom

22. Scott MacKenzie September 6, 2009 at 6:45 am #

What a Monster Idea!

Thanks again for the good vibes, etc.!

23. car blog September 6, 2009 at 7:05 am #

This is one excitement thing to look upto.

24. photoholic September 6, 2009 at 9:05 am #

I agree with Tom. What makes you so special, Chase, is that you are so willing and open to sharing EVERYTHING. It makes us little people feel good when we know this.

We all, myself included, dream of getting to where you are.

Thanks for all the tips, techniques, videos, twitter updates, facebook updates, blog updates, etc.

Wish you all the best, always.

25. Ian Pack September 6, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Good luck. There's a great thrill working away from base with its' own set of pressures. You have both my admiration and sympathy in equal measure. Go for it and good luck for the shoot.

26. Richard Peters September 6, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

This should be good… :D

27. Shaun Q September 6, 2009 at 3:07 pm #

Great to see your back in NZ, hopefully you get some time to shoot a few more landscapes to add to your series.

I'm based in Queenstown so would be more than happy to help out in anyway for the experience you could offer. All the best with the shoot, Shaun.

28. mooreclick September 8, 2009 at 6:08 am #

Many thank yous for doing this! Definitely looking forward to it.

29. frainphoto September 10, 2009 at 7:53 am #

This is great – makes the rest of us aspire to great things.. David

30. Chase Jarvis September 13, 2009 at 3:28 am #

@ shaun q: we're all set up, but will hope to see you out on the town when we finally come up for air!