Quick Video Report From NZ

Here we are, already more than half way through our job here. Great stuff today, again working with some of the best skiers and snowboarders in the world. This little recap vid, shot at 9pm last night–just before heading back to the villa for some data wrangling–shows me pretty darn tired, but still kicking. I’m on camera with my friend Chris Jerard from Freeskier and Snowboard magazines. Chris is our subject matter expert and snowsports industry liaison.

I feel like we’re finally dialing in our separate and additional workflow for sharing this stuff amidst all the other priorities we’re balancing. So that should mean that we’ll be able to roll some serious outtakes and a wave of more videos here tonight and tomorrow and the next day.

Planning to bust out a quick vid that answers a bunch of the questions you’ve been sending my way, so now’s a good chance to shout ‘em out if you have some–via comments or twitter, per usual.

If you can’t see the vid, take a peek here at the vid link on my Facebook Fan page. For those requesting more youtube — that’s coming soon, I promise.

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

29 Responses to Quick Video Report From NZ

1. Rhyees Wedes September 12, 2009 at 8:01 pm #

Chase,
    Seems like you guys are having a absolute ball shooting down in N Zed!!!..

Just wanted to ask you in regards to your shooting setup for the half pipe shoot tomorrow, how exactly do you plan to light these guys and capture your angles. I know that most the time we see the generic one hand up with the main lighting source and fisheye'd slr in the other hand pose but what exactly does it take to break those barriers besides the creativity. Any specific resources.?

Rhyees

2. Shelby White September 12, 2009 at 8:18 pm #

Hopefully we can see a vid of the heli taking off or something interesting like that. A frame by frame play of the day.

3. Simon September 12, 2009 at 8:27 pm #

Hi Chase & team,

Some questions running wild in my head :

1- Do you figure your lighting plan on the fly or do you know when you get up what you're gonna bring, what's gonna be where, etc. ?

2- How do you keep your cameras battery life in the cold ?

3- In which circumstance do you use each of your camera (Hasselblad, Nikon, iPhone… lol) ?

4- Where and when will it be possible to see those ads ?

Thanks for sharing your professional (and kinda personnal) life with us, devoted readers !

4. Dan September 12, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

Great series of videos Chase, and props for making the time to make this stuff available to us.

You've previously shown us you guys first thing in the morning prepping for a shoot in the studio in Seattle, and now you've taken us to NZ for a location shoot. Obviously your rates are between you and your clients, but what kinds of things are you negotiating for the different shoots – studio vs. location? Could you take us through the process of coming to an agreement with a client for the different types of shoots, and what kinds of things to think about? Rates and expenses are obvious…what else?

Probably a bit much for a quick response – love to see a RAW video on it at some point though!

5. Will September 12, 2009 at 9:06 pm #

Hey Chase et all,

I'm just wondering how, like you say in the video, go to bed at 1 and have breakfast by 7? Do you draw energy and hype from the shoots or do you have a secret cocktail of caffeinated treats? Mix of both?

I'm really loving the rough cuts, they are really POV and tangible!

Thanks,

Will

6. Gidi September 12, 2009 at 9:15 pm #

HI Chase,
    First of all – thanks for sharing everything, you know how much we all appreciate it!

Is there any chance of seeing some video of the shoots them selves?
    Working in the field with the talent, the actual photography process, etc.?

Thanks!

7. andrei September 12, 2009 at 11:06 pm #

Any gyro stabilizer?

8. Chase Jarvis September 12, 2009 at 11:27 pm #

@ andrei – no gyro for stills. just shoot faster than 1/1000.

and for motion: poor man's space cam = FCP smooth cam.

9. Chase Jarvis September 12, 2009 at 11:29 pm #

@ all: yes! pics from my still cam and video cam coming. finally digging out from under all the data enough to share some outtakes, vid and still….

10. Amy September 13, 2009 at 12:11 am #

Sweet Chase. Wish I could do something like that. Where can I get a heli? :)

11. ThatcherDorn September 13, 2009 at 12:36 am #

I'm sure you shooting thousands of images a day. How do you go through all those photos ( ie – programs, work flow…) I've heard of making a movie out of them to view faster.

Thanks!

12. Richard September 13, 2009 at 1:01 am #

Are we going to get to see any video of you actually shooting?

You rock either way.

13. Scott September 13, 2009 at 2:27 am #

Chase and crew!

You guys are the best! I'm just a beginning photographer who loves the chase for the perfect pic. No questions here, I've learned quite a bit already!

Keep it up!

Scott

14. Teymur Madjderey September 13, 2009 at 3:49 am #

this is always so much fun and exciting! FTW!

15. Luke September 13, 2009 at 4:33 am #

Hey Chase,

Thanks a lot for everything you've shown people. It's a really great learning resource!

Would you be able to show your workflow for when you've finished a shoot?
    Like I would like to know what software you use and show you go through and choose your photos?
    From your passed videos I've seen you use Aperture for tethering and Photoshop for editing so far.

Look forward to hearing from you!
    Looks like you have fun every day! :D
    Luke

16. Regular visitor September 13, 2009 at 5:06 am #

quick question: How do you plan for post-production?

Are you responsible for the final image, or do you have an art director above you and you have to shoot exactly what he/she wants?

17. Martin Beebee September 13, 2009 at 6:53 am #

Excellent series, Chase — thanks for taking the extra time.

From the production angle:
    * Who comes up with the ideas for what shots you're trying to get? Do you collaborate with an AD or do they just say "We want a shot of x doing y — go get it."

* Are these shot ideas super-specific and pre-planned, or more conceptual and free-flowing?

* At what point are these decisions made? Back at the studio? On location? A mix depending on what you run into onsite? (In your first vid you mentioned there was a real time crunch before you left.)

Thanks again!
    Martin

18. Simon F September 13, 2009 at 7:23 am #

I just wanted to say I really appreciate you taking the time in your crazy schedule to share your knowledge & and experiences with us – it must definitely be an effort some days on top of everything else going down. Looking forward to more…

You are an inspiration, thank you.

Simon

19. Veggie September 13, 2009 at 7:26 am #

Sick lineup u have there!
    Cant wait to see some shots.
    Had a cover on Freeskiermag last year and I'm a huge fan of ur work so U must be doing something right! :)
    Really like ur site man! Have a good one!

20. jason Grubb September 13, 2009 at 8:03 am #

Fantastic work… Again, I really appreciate your willingness to take the time to share.

21. car blog September 13, 2009 at 8:17 am #

Woooooow that is cool stuff.

22. Nicholas Collister September 13, 2009 at 9:26 am #

Chase,

Big thanks have to go to you and your team for putting these videos out here. This inside look to how you work and the info you have been giving to us all is a huge help.

a few questions:

1. what is your workflow after the shoot? (software,hardware, file naming etc..)

I suspect you are capturing hundreds images a day.

Once the images are put to a hard drive, how to you catalog them all?

Do you provide a file backup service to all your clients or do they receive all the image files from the shoots?

Thanks again. Hope to see some images from the project soon.

23. Monique Rodgriguez Photography September 13, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Epic :)

24. Chris Livingston September 14, 2009 at 4:40 am #

NOOOOOO!!! Not the Defender.

25. Sean Berrigan September 15, 2009 at 4:04 am #

Yo Chase,
    What glasses were you wearing in that video interview with the tall white touque? super sick

keep up everything your doing, your my idol!

26. Jolyn June 24, 2011 at 3:43 am #

Extremely helpful article, palsee write more.

27. Quentin Dzurnak July 30, 2014 at 2:26 am #

Having the great health and financial resources to travel with my wife as much as possible, to see more of the environment and meet more of its individuals.

28. castle clash hack tool v2.0 download August 13, 2014 at 9:08 am #

Hi i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this piece of writing i thought i could also make comment due to
    this brilliant post.

29. 8 ball pool hack without survey August 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm #

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I
    am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.