Chase Jarvis CURRENT: SanDisk Q&A FollowUp

I’ve been on the road almost non-stop since we shot the SanDisk campaign in NZ last month, but I’d promised that there was a bit more followup to come as we wrap up post production back at the studio. In this vid, for example (in the spirit of the oldie-but-still-relevant Chase Jarvis CURRENT: 32 Questions vid) I jam through a selection of about 30 questions I’d been asked via the online channels, from creative direction to shoot concept to tech specs to gear.

And a heads up. At your request, I’ll be sprinkling in just couple more vids from NZ in the next couple weeks–at least a TECH about lighting and another RAW.

Lastly, lemme know what you think of this loose Q&A; video format. If it sucks, tell me. If it you’re able to tolerate me yammering on, I could streamline this video work on my end of things (add it to my podcast too), answer a heck of a lot more questions than I’m currently able to via email, and it would add a layer of discourse that’s currently not there. Feedback please.

71 Responses to Chase Jarvis CURRENT: SanDisk Q&A FollowUp

1. Elliot Chang October 23, 2009 at 2:57 am #

Chase,

I really loved this post. I think that it is amazing that you are reaching out and communicating with your "fans" directly. I think we all understand how busy you are, and it is great to see you taking time to – in great detail – touch on many of the topics that have come up in discussion regarding your recent activities.

Between tweets, blog posts and now video responses I can really feel connected to your process.

Thank you for your pioneering efforts.

Elliot

2. Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 3:48 am #

Love the format, but I found that you kept saying "I already covered this", this distracted from the rest of the really awesome information.

3. Oddgeir October 23, 2009 at 4:08 am #

The video is fine. Good info.

Oddgeir

4. djaef October 23, 2009 at 4:15 am #

Chase, video is a great way to do things, as you don't have to write a million emails, and we all get to share in the answers to questions we'd likely have asked ourselves.
    So yeah, I think it's great.

5. Jonas Silius October 23, 2009 at 4:22 am #

Hey Chase, nice video with nice info inside, always a pleasure to hear about the behind the scenes stuff. Thanks for posting this! And yes, this way IMO is a good way to answer lots of questions. Keep up the good work and regards from Lithuania!

6. Jase October 23, 2009 at 4:45 am #

this format rocks – not as "dry" as just some text Q&A;

great stuff Chase

7. Sean Porter October 23, 2009 at 5:16 am #

Nice one chase, this is really good helps answer question that i haven't thought up, Defiantly post it on the Podcast. Thanks for all your bloging

Sean

8. Simon October 23, 2009 at 5:36 am #

Great format, love the transparency you have with your work and your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with us. Awesome work as always!

9. Will October 23, 2009 at 6:46 am #

Chase,

Vid seams awesome for answering questions! Maybe for a more polished segment have cut aways to relevant location/photo clips.

Love what your doing. Thank you for doing it!

Best,
    Will

10. fas October 23, 2009 at 7:14 am #

Fantastic new thing to do, I really like it. YOu should do such things more often.

11. Royce October 23, 2009 at 7:15 am #

Great stuff Chase, this is the kind of info that is interesting and informative. The format is great; we don't need a bunch of over edited professional looking vids, just solid info and a light personal feel. By the way feel, free to take those phone calls while your recording, we don't mind seeing those smooth business skilz of yours.

12. Marc Pritchard October 23, 2009 at 7:58 am #

Great stuff chase and a good insight. I found the video part to be a bit unnecessary and a straight audio podcast would definitely be easier to compose (whilst on the road perhaps?)

13. Boston Photographer | MWynne October 23, 2009 at 8:03 am #

Great idea, seems like the easiest way to address all of the questions you get. Its always fun to see what your up to now. Thanks for the post.

14. Kevin Halliburton October 23, 2009 at 8:29 am #

I like this format a lot Chase. Thank you for taking time out to include us in the crunch. This industry is driven by a lot of forces but you certainly take your turn at the wheel as much or more than anyone. Ah-pree-shate-cha!

15. John October 23, 2009 at 8:43 am #

Chase,
    This is an awesome post. Please make more of these Q&A; vids!

I appreciate that you take the time to share this knowledge with your fans.

John

16. yo-sarrian October 23, 2009 at 8:44 am #

I love the video format… it allows me to listen to all your great advice at work AND still be productive!

Thanks, Chase!

17. jz October 23, 2009 at 8:53 am #

I have one more Question for your post today. Did you shoot RAW, JPEG or TIFF when in NZ.

18. Frank October 23, 2009 at 9:38 am #

Hi Chase,

It's great that you share the questions and answers with the whole community that is following you through you blog. I think the video is a bit dull, some shots in between from relevant things would make it a bit spicier. But that of course would take up more time and thus more inefficient.

Maybe a podcast is a good idea. You can do that when you are in bed, so you don't have to bother freshening up haha. The guys from lime (http://www.squeezethelime.com) do this and they manage to reach a huge group.

Never the less I really enjoy the fact you are sharing your experiences with us all.

Regards,

Frank (Netherlands)

19. Chase Jarvis October 23, 2009 at 10:14 am #

@frank. Thx for the feedback. just a heads up…Your answer makes me think u might not be tuned in that me yammering at the camera in a hotel room is only a supplement to our more polished RAW and TECH behind the scenes series videos that have been rolling online for more than 3 years now… If u like/need/want that stuff, it's there.

20. mjk_photo October 23, 2009 at 11:10 am #

Dug the Q&A; Chase!
    Stoked to see what comes back with you from Hawaii!

21. Markus Adrian October 23, 2009 at 11:24 am #

Too long and boring??? No way!
    That were 30 minutes of your precious time… Feels like christmas =)
    I like the Q&A; format alot…

Thanks for your sacrifice!

bg Markus

22. Kurtis October 23, 2009 at 11:55 am #

High production value is nice but not necessary for this sort of stuff. Thanks for taking 30 minutes of your time, Chase. :)

23. JRS October 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm #

Hi Chase,

I LOVE the videos. Like someone else said, it feels like christmas – I just got 30 min. of your time.. Keep it up.

I have a few questions with regards to Aperture:

Do you use referenced or non-references.

When you edit the raw file, whats the workflow.
    Do you export desired raw file/s, then edit with camera raw / photoshop. Thats one thing I dislike about Aperture, I can't open the original raw file in camera raw from within Aperture. I first have to export.

How much tweaking do you do within aperture.

Just wondering

Thanks again.

John

24. Luke October 23, 2009 at 1:06 pm #

Wicked format, very direct and involved.
    Thanks for answering my question and I look forward to the follow up video on the workflow.
    I guess at the time I posted I had just got my first camera (DSLR) and shooting in RAW so I needed a solution. I've found I do a lot of things manually now, using Adobe Bridge for reviewing then organise everything myself and backup with time machine.
    It works for me but I guess I don't shoot much in one time compared to others.

Cheers,
    Luke

25. Kow-it-all jerk October 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm #

Sorry to sound like an ass, but between 2:30 what the DOF preview button does is close the diaph', but it still leaves the mirror down, so you can see through the actual lens aperture. Oh, and "f/8 to f/13 and beyond" isn't wide, but narrow. ;) No offense intended, I know you know all that, but it could confuse some people. You actually look tired: you don't have your usual redbull-with-steroids hyperactivity :)

26. Chase Jarvis October 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm #

@know-it-all. Totally… And yeah – I also called my new MacBook pro a 12 inch instead of a 13 ;) . Doh! Indeed DOF is closing down the lens diaphragm… DOF however IS wide (distance from front to back of focus). It's the aperture (hole) that's narrow (or small). Think that's what u meant. But thx for keeping me on it…much apprec. Sleepy indeed!

27. Chase Jarvis October 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

@jz. Always RAW.

28. Know-it-all (Juan) October 23, 2009 at 2:04 pm #

Oh, you meant the DOF! Yes, it's wide, then. I thought you said the actual lens aperture. I'm sleepy on my side too (just got back home after getting the gear ready for an UW filming on Monday).

By the way, about the batteries… I can't vouch for them, but these babies might be worth a try, let alone if they deliver what they promise:
    For your job, they might be the panacea for your power issues on location.

29. Catalin October 23, 2009 at 3:21 pm #

Real interesting stuff here. I would have preferred it a bit more concentrated tho :)

30. FOOSE October 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm #

Hey Chase,

totally digging this new Q&A; video.
    you get to answer a whole bunch of questions and we get more "Chase answer time" out of it.

also love the RAWness of the video. saves your time polishing it as well aye.

once again Thanks Chase for doing what you are doing.

Brian (NZ)

31. Regular Visitor October 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm #

I really appreciate your time and thanks for answering my question.

You're building your reputation RAPIDLY with that kind of posts.
    I can't wait to see the final images and the upcoming "workflow" video.

32. Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

i LOVE this style of wideo!!!! rock on

33. bizior October 23, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

I've seen your first Q&A; vid, and this is one is as good as it can be: not dry, tons of useful information… cannot wait for more!
    And that person who called you twice – hope it's not your wife :)

34. VT October 23, 2009 at 7:49 pm #

condensation trick I learned a while ago:

when bringing in gear to a warm place after it has been out in the cold for a while, first place the lenses and camera body in an air-tight bag (i.e. ziplock). This will cause the condensation to collect on the outside of the bag and the moisture in the warm air won't be able to reach the equipment. You might still get a little fogging, but in my experience, it makes all the difference in the world between a fogged up camera and not. Try it.

35. Simon October 23, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

Haven't got through all of it yet but please Chase, sleep more ! You seem to be SO TIRED in your video. Take a day off and sleep, for your health sake.

36. visuellegedanken October 24, 2009 at 1:13 am #

I really like those videos a lot. Much more better than text. Would appreciate more of that. Thx Chase!

37. naslundstudios October 24, 2009 at 1:42 am #

I think you are reaching more of an audience with video than with just script; not to lose the writing, but I think the more you can apply video to the education and general communication to your audience, the more effective your message will be. Or something.

Eric

38. Gazedd October 24, 2009 at 3:40 am #

Hey Chase,

We read thousands of words when sat on the internet at each visit to our PC/Mac.
    Video's stick in the mind and because your directly talking to your audience, we feel like your talking from across a table or a webcam chat with a mate, this is a very powerful way to communicate.
    For example, you talked about the layering of snowboarding shots from your shoot – I knew the exact picture from your previous video you were referring to instead of trying to make up my own picture in my head.

These formats do work – and so well!

39. Bernadette October 24, 2009 at 9:10 am #

Great format Chase. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
    Bernadette

40. Matt Timmons October 24, 2009 at 10:09 am #

This video format works great Chase. I can play the video and listen to it while I straighten up my computer area/office and not have to sit in front of the screen any longer than I already do. Thanks!

41. Richard October 24, 2009 at 11:03 am #

Very cool that you take the time to communicate with you fans and listen to their responses

42. Simon F October 25, 2009 at 2:09 am #

Chase, enjoyed the video – great way of sharing information & covering a lot of ground.

Thanks once again for your time & info – I know I often struggle to fit in 'those' things at the end of a big day/week/month with a fraction of your work load – so I appreciate your efforts big time. The 'clean your rooom & do the dishes' you spoke of a few blogs ago for me is often catching up on your latest offerings.

Cheers mate.

43. Pascal G October 25, 2009 at 3:45 am #

chase,

I don't kno if this the right place.. but i got a small question. In theQ&A; followup youre talking about workflow and that you use aperture…

But when you shoot thetered to the mac what do you use because i can't find a perfect solution what works pretty quick. I work with a new macbook pro, a canon 1D MK III and the wifi module WFT-E2a and for now the i use the canon software(eos utility). ofcourse i know that youre a nikon guy but maybe you can help me out here?

44. Janous Aldroun October 25, 2009 at 7:01 pm #

I really like the conversational nature of this post and you gave a wealth of information. If it's not too much of a burden I'd love to see these things regularly.

I must say, I felt bad watching it because…man you looked tired!

45. Nathan (NeutralAngel) October 26, 2009 at 7:23 am #

Thanks Chase! I think this was a wonderful idea. I enjoyed it thoroughly and hope you will continue to post these videos in the future.

Thanks again,

Nathan

46. jason Grubb October 26, 2009 at 7:26 am #

Thanks for always communicating with your fans directly. Love the video… a great way to get it all done at once!

47. Carl Spring October 26, 2009 at 1:56 pm #

Liking the format, but you seem to answer one question then you said "I already covered this" on the next cpl. V good though and easy to digest info.

Just a future idea, maybe get other staff to go through their workflow when working with you. Could be something interesting to be gained from it?

Really looking forward to more stuff, which must mean your on the right track.

48. readyphotosite October 27, 2009 at 6:26 am #

Hey Chase, i found your blog and bookmarked it immediately. this live video format is really cool and handy. thanks!

49. Borna Cavrag October 28, 2009 at 9:50 am #

The format is great, but man this thing is long… perhaps cutting it in two or selecting the not-so-basic questions, or keeping the answer just a bit shorter focusing on the inside quick tip bits. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the time you took and look forward to the next one, but maybe using the time more efficiently :D

About the condensation, remember what you do in the car when the windows condensate? you heat them even further which dries (is that the spelling? I'm a bit far from english-speaking countries) the air and removes the moisture. so, you do the same thing with the lenses (which is where the moisture condensates). I find that it's enough to hold them above an radiator or something for like a minute, and then just wiping your mirror a bit with your shirt or something so you can properly focus. this tip probably isn't very useful to you, because you shoot commercial and such, but for other guys like me who are in news photography, it's a lifesaver

50. TJ October 28, 2009 at 2:03 pm #

Thanks for the vid, two questions: 1, why shoot at 8 fps not 9?
    2, that broncolor is sick but i dont have 10k to dish on lights, anything that can do that speed for less?

thanks

51. Borna Cavrag October 28, 2009 at 2:39 pm #

@TJ your classic walmart stroboscope (I don't know if thats the proper name for it in english, anyways it's that thing in clubs that flashes real fast) or two, or three… but you'll have to have a separate exposure for the background, and than kill your ambiental light to solid black, and use a long exposure with stroboscope on (you can change the interval of flashing on the back). your pictures will even be better than chase's, because all of your snowboarders, skaters or whatever will be in one frame :D .

52. Chris Wadkins October 29, 2009 at 8:26 pm #

Hey Chase,
    Just wanted to say this was another great video. I have watched all of your videos, and these q & a ones seem to be some of your best. They always seem to answer a lot of questions that never really get covered by any other videos either by you or anyone else. Your one photographer who always makes me think one step further. I am still in the beginning stages of my photography career and hopefully I can someday be successful like you are with your work. Keep posting these videos, keep tweeting, keep blogging, and keep shooting…

53. Sean Kerrick Sullivan October 30, 2009 at 3:04 am #

random….but what tripod head are were using on the deck of the pipe down in NZ? I rarely shoot sequences but i thought i saw you panning while shooting from the deck of the halfpipe………how do the final, stitched together sequences lookwith a wide angle lens? I try to minimize my use of PS and im wondering if the panning/wide lense combo results in the need for some extra PS work?

54. Gilbert Wong October 31, 2009 at 9:46 am #

Chase~

You are really open than a lot other photographers~!

Love your great works and openness to sharing your work. Kudos!

Gilbert Wong

55. Valerie Yamile October 31, 2009 at 11:22 am #

I LOVED it. I can listen to it on my iPhone, which takes A LOT less time than sitting at the comp reading through a long post. Thanks hottie!

56. Chase Jarvis October 31, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

@ shawn. using a manfrotto something or other. and yes – panning dramatically increases photoshop time. i was only panning when it was essential to capture the length of flight with the given lens…

57. Chase Jarvis November 4, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

for those of you sending me email questions still – try posting them here on the blog. it'll allow other to read them and will encourage me to share them in upcoming Q&A;'s…

I tend to drown in long email requests…

58. David November 15, 2009 at 3:19 am #

This definitely did NOT suck (your words). I don't know how this (collectively, presumably huge) investment of time serves you, but it is inspiring to budding photographers and other "creatives". Thank you.

Love your work and your personal
    style. Stay cool.

59. Jeffrey Friedl November 15, 2009 at 3:43 am #

I like your videos and very much appreciate the time you offer in creating them (and the rest of your public content, for that matter), but want to point out some downsides to this kind of video format, in case you didn't think about them….

One is that a 30-minute video with a bunch of Q&A; makes it difficult for others (or you, for that matter) to refer to a specific question as already answered. Rather than a simple "see here" link, you need to look up where it is in the video and report that (or simply wave your hand and say "it's somewhere in that 30-minute video").

Another problem is that search engines completely ignore the entirety of the content, which means those searching won't find what they're looking for, which means more questions like noted in the first downside.

Third (and this is relatively minor), but a 30-minute video takes much more "commitment" from the viewer. This might be considered a good thing, but you'll lose a lot of on-the-go people who might have time to read a post in bits and pieces more than they'll have time to sit down to a 30-minute presentation. Personally, I kept this post marked "unread" in my RSS reader until today when I felt I could afford it the time it deserved.

Please understand that this isn't a complaint… just pointing these considerations out in case you weren't aware of them….

60. Carson November 17, 2009 at 9:30 pm #

Excellent stuff Chase, please do continue this format. Eas(ier) for you, and very informative for us. Perfect arrangement.

61. enigma Creative Media November 18, 2009 at 9:46 pm #

Hey Chase,

Thanks for being so generous with your time when clearly you're smashed – meaning really, really tired as you're on location.

I agree that this is a good format for you to cover as much territory as possible. I found it helpful, informative and I encourage you to do it when you can.

Cheers,

Tim

62. Anonymous November 21, 2009 at 9:32 am #

uggs on sale
    ugg classic tall chestnut

63. Chase Jarvis November 28, 2009 at 3:22 pm #

@ jeffrey: great feedback. we're taking it all in. we'll probably continue to do a mix of these ideas…

much appreciated.

64. Deandra Napieralski April 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

I used StudioTax for our 2008 returns and was thoroughly impressed with its ease of use and, of course, with its price. I will gratefully contribute to this small but very professional team rather than further bloat the coffers of Intuit et al. Highly recommended. Reply

65. Gala Plotkin June 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm #

Nando shirtless is usually a eyecatcher!

66. Gus Daily June 29, 2013 at 9:23 am #

You really make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I to find this matter to be really something that I feel I would never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very wide for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the grasp of it!

67. visit our website July 18, 2014 at 6:51 pm #

Hi! I know this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask. Does operating a well-established website such as yours take a large amount of work? I am completely new to running a blog however I do write in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

68. Oelze October 19, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. This great article has really peaked my interest. I will bookmark your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your Feed as well.