More Moving Magazines, This by Alexx Henry For Outside

As more and more of us photogs co-mingle our still capture with motion capture, we’re going to be seeing increasingly co-mingled media outlets increasingly more excited to increase their co-mingling of media.

You get my point.

Looks like Outside is along for the ride now, thus adding another solid print title to the short list of those that are doing more interesting things–either out of desperation or innovation–which is still up for debate. This cool vid from photographer Alexx Henry is his second such project if I’m not mistaken. He’s got an “imagine the future…” sort of blog post that accompanies the vid here on his blog. Nice moves, Alexx.

Which brings me to my favorite thing about this sort of new media: in my experience (and I’ve heard here from Alexx’s and many other friends out there too) the media outlets are actually interested in collaborating with their artists once again, rather than dictating to them as seemed to be the norm in the few years past…. That’s a key word, collaboration. I think it yields far more interesting results. Hope this is more than a trend.

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

42 Responses to More Moving Magazines, This by Alexx Henry For Outside

1. Daniel Regueira October 5, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

this will be a crazy advance in the photo/film industry no doubt, the convergence of the two (stills and film) is an amazingly cool idea, it can seem a tad threatening though as a photographer but once you realize the new creative potential it holds for all of us it's something that's extremely exciting.

I love it.

2. Alexander Jordan October 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

i don't see this happening in the standard magazine format, i think when this happens it will come in a sort of sony reader format where you have one screen and multiple viewing options.

will be cool though, also think it will be an addition to print magazines not a replacement. at least for a while

jordan

3. Ian October 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

Looks great. It's definitely going to be popping up more and more but I can't help but think it'd be a distraction when reading the articles. Maybe for a really eye grabbing feature page though!

4. Ghislain October 5, 2009 at 1:19 pm #

It's about time we get something going on, but in the same time, old fashion is always welcome. Not sure I want video all the time, all this animation is somehow disturbing at some point.

Just like all those Flash site, plain old HTML sites are still my preference. When everything more around and pop and flash, very annoying…

5. Anonymous October 5, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

If this doe's happen, wont the cost be stupid to produce these magazines, and what about people setting up a magazine for the first time and wanting to use this set up? If a magazine only going to cost $2-3 then the mini screens are going to be peanuts to produce for these magazines. So if they cost barley anything, people will wonder why all these HD tv's cost so much to make and sale to customers in shops, when they can make these things cheap for magazines. I know it's only kinda a concept at the moe, but it might happen in the near future, but you also gotta think on the small details, magazine thefts will go up, because magazines are holding technology, and people may think they can make money on parts in the magazine. it's all well and fun of doing this and showing a really inspiring video, but think realistic now, everything is loosing its name. so for example DLSR are having HD video on them, thats not photography thats something else, photography is to take a picture, a video is there to get moving motion of the subject your filming.

But there we go there my opinions. At this stage I'm thinking like this, but if things change on this, i will change my opinion and take this back.

o and to do with me saying about the HD video on DLSR, magazine will not really be something to hold in your hand anymore, with nice presented print and photographs on nice paper but a video screen.

6. Paolo Perre October 5, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

Definitely cool and not at all surprising that one day (very) soon we'll have this tech integrated into our lives but absolutely nothing can replace still photography – the captured moment in time. Cliché to say but…timeless.

7. SeRiAl October 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm #

Am i the only one whose mind was blown away for the "story" part of The Watchmen movie? Those moments in slow motion, almost photo but video are awe inspiring

8. Anonymous October 5, 2009 at 4:17 pm #

dude, its all just too much, i mean really dslr, iphone, blogging, website, studio, location, lighting, video, print, print thats now becoming video…ahhhh i think were getting to the point in the curve when it goes straight the f up and i'm not sure i like it ; )

9. Anonymous October 5, 2009 at 4:36 pm #

five magazines died today. more dying every week. you look at that video, and you count the bodies, and you wonder, who's getting paid full rate to be out there? yes, we're talking editorial here, the land of do it for cut rate. it's one thing if the photographer can put it in their book, and justify the money for promotion, but what about all that other crew? the math simply does not work. who's taking a bath on a project like this: at some point, somebody's got to write the check.

file this story under "hype", and "dream on".

10. Shelby White October 5, 2009 at 6:26 pm #

It's amazing what is happening. Sure it may be the death of printers but its bringing static magazines into dynamic experiences. I see that going two ways. For example, health magazines–magazines (if we continue to call them that) could show videos of how to stretch, cook, workout etc. I see those as positive.

On the other hand I see the potential negative side; Celebrity magazines, magazines that expose people…although some people like them.

Chase I hate to say it but maybe you should dis-allow 'Anonymous' comments like David is doing on Strobist. Some of the comments are great but it would sure be nice to know that people are taking responsibility for what they're saying.

11. Travis Johansen October 5, 2009 at 6:37 pm #

In response to the criticism as 'costing too much', the technology will most likely come in the form of a subscription based amazon kindle video type playing device. You would pay for the tool, and pay for a subscription, but the printing and distribution chains wouldn't suck up the profits anymore. This digital form has really helped magazines become more profitable- but there are still a ton failing. Why? There are many reasons but I think part of it is that people have too much BlaW in their lives. I for one as a professional photographer don't really care anymore when I get my Popular Photography or Outdoor Photographer magazine in the mail the stories are too watered down and basic. The products they cover are too bland for what I am interested. We as consumers have so much information we don't value it all. But the material and areas that we do pay attention, we will continue to pay dearly for. Why? Because the information from that source is pertinant, interesting, and pre-screened for what we want to hear. I think in the future we will see a shift to magazines that offer more information and interesting stories on narrower topics. There will be less UltraPopular magazines but more specific ones with fewer subscribers. The subscriber will pay for digital downloads and advertising will be easy to click and buy. Like the way google uses advertising- but way more specific and valuable to the viewer.

12. throughHislens October 6, 2009 at 1:48 am #

Reminds me of flypmedia.com and their interactive magazine.

I like what you say about collaboration, we're all in this together!

13. Chase October 6, 2009 at 7:07 am #

As a creative art director myself, I love this form of media. Collaborating both still and video is another dynamic is the fabric of our culture. Its been around so much longer than people give it credit for due to the latest convergence of putting "HD" video in the consumers hands with accessible dSLRs, otherwise the concept of "fusion" is quite old.

Getting people using it, understanding and being proficient at it seems to be the way Jarvis is constantly pointing. Being able to offer your clients a solid option to cut their cuts and keep the creative eye of video together with the photography is a bonus and cost effective.

As for the adoption by society to make this relevant outside of tech and creative circles it has to be cost effective and the model consumer friendly or consider it dead. Newspapers are completely consumer friendly but late with news, internet is becoming more and more common place in the footprint of middle class america where the adoption needs to be the deepest.

If this form of media it needs to be adopted beyond the ipod phase of life and become fabric. We have the creative power and know how, its acceptance that makes sense to the average consumer that will help it grow.

14. Andrew October 6, 2009 at 7:12 am #

One-time use, disposable electronics, and more e-waste? Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. The people in China don't have enough of it yet, so I'm sure they'll be very happy when they can start separating flexible, electronic screens and power sources from glossy magazines like Outside. It will also give them something to strive for as they watch those videos about how the beautiful people in North America spend all their time running along the beach at sunset.

15. Frozen Forever Photography October 6, 2009 at 8:56 am #

I see something much more than a one time use newspaper. We already have digital books where you can download any book you want in full context. I see this being something like that, you can plug it in to a news stand or computer and download the news you want. Something custom not just from one newspaper. You pick what you are reading and what sorce it comes from. I can also see these thing around poles where people can post "yard sale" information and "lost dog". If used right it could replace the large demand on paper and cutting down trees.

16. mhakola October 6, 2009 at 9:28 am #

What I think is more likely is that instead of a newsstand full of these magazines (financially and environmentally prohibitive) there will be magazine "blanks" that you buy and then once a month they get updated via wifi with new content. This way you'll be reading off of the same physical screen (aka magazine) but it will feel new. Older issues can be stored online.

17. dov October 6, 2009 at 11:02 am #

Cool but not cost effective especially when having to produce millions. If this goes through, give it 5-10 years to see it on an actual news stand. However, I really don't see it happening as everything is becoming accessible on the web. I don't think this will revive the physical magazine.
    Also, there's a huge waste issue. These plastics are horrible for our landfills and would have to be recycled.

18. Car Blog October 6, 2009 at 11:28 am #

Sounds interesting and crazy, waiting for more.

19. Anonymous October 6, 2009 at 11:29 am #

LOVE IT – I can imagine the cost of the magazine being quite high though. The idea of buying a Generic screen magazine(blank), and buying downloads from your newsagent, would be very 'green' in regards to the paper industry, however the power output of these screens would have to be calculated to see how large the carbon output is.
    Having your own personal re-usable magazine which can handle EVERY magazine would be a plus, adverts can be tailored to specific audiences better, interactivity with magazines will be greater. Overall i good idea, cant wait to see what happens next.

20. Dave October 6, 2009 at 12:14 pm #

I wonder how much that shoot costs? The cost of the equipment, size of crew, food, location permits, etc.

Kind of like an AL shoot. Are newspapers really going to afford this? Is this advertising or editorial?

Maybe is where video on the DSLR comes in. Small 2 crew shoots, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but how many can really afford it?

21. Christopher Arata October 6, 2009 at 12:19 pm #

Haha this is funny seeing this here I know almost the entire crew, got my man Kayoti on dolly grip, key grip Randy Vega, his Bro Damian Vega driving the gator, great DP/Cam op Brian Shanley, I remember talking to him about this a month or two ago. Randy & Damian just crewed a music video for my yesterday & were telling me about the 100ft of dolly track that was laded down, thats a lot of track!! Defiantly going to send these guys a link, to funny!!

22. batgeek October 6, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

I believe a company like Apple will come up with a portable device with a good screen size (iTablet) and with an ecosystem (iTunes) that will deliver Magazines, Newspapers, Books, and Etc. with this kind of interactive content. Imagine a magazine subscription that will push this week's edition to your device and you get any kind of visual content including HD interviews and of course ads.

twitter.com/batgeek

23. Eduardo October 6, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

What about e-waste, i like it but i dont like it enough to jeopardize our enviroment… think green… :D … there is other, more pollution safe, media.

24. photomatto October 6, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

I agree with batgeek. This is exactly what Apple needs to deliver with their rumored tablet. Something like that very last shot of the video, where the magazine is electronic. This would be a huge leap ahead of Kindle and Sony's book reader. There's no way traditional magazines can sustain this format given the cost, but more importantly the environmental impact. Unless those OLED screens are recyclable.

25. paul sherar October 6, 2009 at 9:52 pm #

us still photogs are gonna have to take some new steps!

26. Ola Mustipher October 7, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

With all the borrowed money we Americans had we went nuts. Magazine subscriptions, buying crap on credit cards we didn’t need and in turn spurring on advertising dollars which in turn kept magazine and newspapers chugging along. Well our Asian and Arab friends don't want to play anymore. They don't want to give us money to borrow, so now the spending dries up. The advertisers pack it in and call it a day and the magazines and newspapers dry up. Well in the boon times with all the photography jobs being thrown around, just as locust do, they flocked to the photography field to strip it bare. Go ask 20 photographers what the zone system is and I bet less than half can answer the question. Ask 20 photographers who Isaac Penn, Richard Avedon, Gordan Parks or August Sanders is. I bet you get blank stares. What’s my point? A lot of these "photographers" had no true love for the field, they didn't know what they were doing, and they poured in, screwed up the economy of the business in turn adding to the demise of a great artistic craft. Now you have people like this guy Alex hoping on the videography bandwagon. Problem with that is, unlike the transition of say digital photography from film photography, videogrpahy has always existed. Not like any of this is something new and exiting and photographers just have to jump on board. Not everything translates to video nor does it need to. There will always be still images, but there will be fewer professionals to deliver them, as it should be. The field is over saturated, as is the magazine field. I mean think about it, how many tattoo, cooking and photography magazines do we really need. You walk into Barnes and Noble and there is at least 15 magazines on any given subject. Can anyone say, "over saturated". This is a market correction, it always happens. Happened to us in the I.T. and Telecomm fields, happening now in Real Estate "How many know nothing bartenders can one field sustain?" and it is happening now in photography. I love what Mr. Jarvis said in one of his lectures (photographers will always be here, but it will be those who have great skill and business acumen who survive this) and I whole-heatedly agree with him.

As for the technology being presented, lets get a few things clear. People are screaming the death of magazine and newspapers and to that I say bullocks! Broadband adoption in America isn’t even 20% (look it up). That leaves 80% of people who will be reading what exactly? There will always be newspapers and magazines, but LESS of them, again the market cannot bare this many magazines. Advertisers now have to use their brains and actually throw their advertising dollars behind magazines that are actually GOOD with decent number of subscribers and the crappy ones will die off, its the nature of capitalism my friends. Even with something like the rumored Apple Tablet (which I find VERY interesting and a true game changer) you will still not have large adoption rates of this sort of stuff. Again it relies on broadband connection. But as stated earlier only 20% of America has the connection necessary to properly view rich media content. Most people do not want or need a faster Internet connection and you need those fast speeds to support rich multi media content. And even still, as said before, not everything translates well to video. Even when you go to NYT online you still have still images and the same is true on BBC, AP and many other news outlets. There is room for both, but the mediocre photographer (locust) will not make it through this stage of the purge.

27. Dentist Beaumont October 9, 2009 at 6:50 am #

I agree with the others. This seems pretty intersting, but it would be a bit distracting while reading the articles.

28. Mark Stevens Photography October 13, 2009 at 6:28 am #

So how much did that shoot cost? I'm dying to know. it would be incredible if magazines re-realized the creative value their artists bring. But, bringing a $50k camera to a shoot means that editorial rates need to start adding zeros.

29. Amy Ralston November 6, 2009 at 11:59 pm #

Amazing, so HOT …this is the future! I can't wait!!!

30. Jim November 7, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

This guy's stuff is awesome! I liked the Mrs Smith goes to Washington even better, and I also remember seeing something like this for a Step Brothers ad. Not sure if the same guy did it or not, but it's a great idea! It really surprises you the first time you see it in public. Wish I could make something like it.

-Jim

31. Jae Gonser June 10, 2014 at 10:18 am #

Spot on with this write-up, I seriously imagine this website requirements additional focus. We’ll oftimes be returning to discover additional, cheers to the facts!

32. Cristopher Ohashi June 28, 2014 at 10:41 am #

It’s an honor to hold the free chemistry globe magazine app.

33. Proprium Marketing July 4, 2014 at 3:38 pm #

yay google is my queen aided me to find this outstanding web site ! .

34. Newton July 10, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

Your post is great, very informative. Keep it up!

35. Francisco Meirinho July 12, 2014 at 6:34 am #

Prezados, estou entrando contato com o departamento que cuida de financas, mas nao estou tendo sucesso. Voce poderia, por favor, enviar-me o contato da pessoa certa?

36. Francisco Meirinho July 12, 2014 at 6:35 am #

Prezados, estou tentanto contato com o departamento financeiro, mas nao estou tendo sucesso. Voce poderia, por favor, enviar-me o contato da pessoa certa?

37. Francisco Meirinho July 12, 2014 at 10:01 pm #

Prezados, estou tentanto contato com o departamento que cuida de financas, mas nao estou tendo sucesso. Voce poderia, por favor, enviar-me o contato da pessoa certa?

38. Deski PCV July 17, 2014 at 8:08 am #

Helpful information. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by chance, and I am shocked why this coincidence did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

39. Pedro Ribeiro July 18, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

Prezados, estou entrando contato com o departamento responsavel por credito, mas nao estou tendo sucesso. Voce poderia, por favor, enviar-me o contato da pessoa certa?

40. snoods July 21, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

hello!,I really like your writing very much! share we communicate extra approximately your article on AOL? I require a specialist in this house to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Having a look forward to peer you.

41. Juliusz July 31, 2014 at 12:06 am #

Yet another thing to mention is that an online business administration study course is designed for college students to be able to efficiently proceed to bachelors degree programs. The 90 credit diploma meets the lower bachelor diploma requirements and once you earn your own associate of arts in BA online, you may have access to the latest technologies with this field. Some reasons why students need to get their associate degree in business is because they may be interested in this area and want to find the general schooling necessary previous to jumping in to a bachelor college diploma program. Thanks for the tips you provide with your blog.

42. εκκενωσεις βοθρων August 11, 2014 at 1:09 am #

I really like your writing style, fantastic information, thanks for posting :D . “All words are pegs to hang ideas on.” by Henry Ward Beecher.